• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

Sakurai has a long history of including characters people never asked for. Just look at Ice Climbers and M.r Game & Watch in Melee. Sakurai has even gone on the record to say that only including characters that were "popular" would be "boring".

Yep, thats why I don't trust Sakurai that much lol. You don't know what else he could be thinking up for this game character/gameplay wise. And the popular characters would not be boring. Their imaginations and development time are the only limitations.
And theres a good balance of oldschool characters and newcomers, imo, so I don't mind a random old icon for every 2 popular characters.

Thores

Yep, thats why I don't trust Sakurai that much lol. You don't know what else he could be thinking up for this game character/gameplay wise. And the popular characters would not be boring. Their imaginations and development time are the only limitations.
And theres a good balance of oldschool characters and newcomers, imo, so I don't mind a random old icon for every 2 popular characters.

He didn't say popular characters were boring. He said it would be boring to only exclusively add popular characters, without anything obscure or from left field to spice up that selection.

I don't recalled anything that would associate NFC with SSB4. Unless you are hoping that they would make SSB4 that would work with NFC.

Sakurai isn't above turning SSB into Skylanders (look at all the AR cards for KI:U). He already said he wanted to make the game more personal--imagine:

-Both versions feature RPG features, where you customize the characters based on gear
-Each character has a Skylanders-style figure for sale
-Store your personalized main (gear, stats) on the figure
-Take it anywhere (friends' houses, tournament, etc)
-Your win/loss and stats are also stored on the figure
-New "DLC" characters are periodically released

Just for fun, here's a list of Nintendo IPs that don't have playable characters in SSB (list is not comprehensive; Nintendo has probably 200 IPs):

(in approximate order or appearance):
-Wild Gunman
-Punch-Out!!
-Devil World
-Clu Clu Land
-Balloon Fight
-Urban Champion
-Mach Rider
-Murasame Castle
-Advance Wars
-Star Tropics
-Joy Mech Fight
-Marvelous
-Mole Mania
-1080 Snowboarding
-Custom Robo
-Doshin the Giant
-Sin & Punishment
-Animal Crossing
-Golden Sun
-Magical Vacation
-Eternal Darkness
-Starfy
-Geist
-Drill Dozer
-Another Code
-Elite Beat Agents
-Chibi-Robo
-Wii X
-Tingle
-Exclamation Warriors
-Disaster
-Captain Rainbow
-Soma Bringer
-Fossil Fighters
-FlingSmash
-Xenoblade
-Pushmo
-Dillon's Rolling Western
-Sakura Samurai

I'd rather Sakurai pick 10-15 characters off this list, instead of adding 10-15 characters from existing series.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just for fun, here's a list of Nintendo IPs that don't have playable characters in SSB (list is not comprehensive; Nintendo has probably 200 IPs):
For me, I would like to see those characters (That dont meant I am fan of those charcters but I could see potential in those characters.)

Issac (or any Golden Sun character)
Shulkie (Xenoblade)
Tom Nook
Takamaru
Laughing Dog or Duck Hunt Dog
Little Mac
Andy
Balloon Fighter
Mike Jones
Elite Beat Agent

Snakey

Panel de Pon is missing from that list.

On the topic of series without a playable character, I think Little Mac from Punch-Out is at the top of the list in getting in. The Miis might be next assuming Sakurai has not already ruled them out. Next in line would probably be Starfy or Golden Sun.

Also, many of the "series" on that list are actually stand alone games.

?oe?oe

KensukeKimachi.jpg

Kensuke Kimachi

958608-445350_ricky_winterborn_super_large.jpg

Ricky Winterborn (he could also use his jetski!)

Dat rite

Berordn

Also, many of the "series" on that list are actually stand alone games.

He said IPs, not series. And only having one game didn't stop the Ice Climbers.

Little Mac is definitely in the next one, anyway. Saki seemed fairly likely back when S&P2 was coming out, but I wonder if its lack of success killed his chances.

illadelph

Muddy Mole (Mole Mania) needs to be in the game as something. That game is BEGGING for a two-screen sequel. The world needs it. And Smash Bros. can be the first step towards this happening.

Snakey

He said IPs, not series. And only having one game didn't stop the Ice Climbers.

Little Mac is definitely in the next one, anyway. Saki seemed fairly likely back when S&P2 was coming out, but I wonder if its lack of success killed his chances.

Ice Climbers were the only series in Smash Bros. to have only had one game. Even ROB and Pit (Kid Icarus) had two games.

As to Saki, he was well-received as an Assist Trophy due to his design. However, Sin & Punishment 2 bombed even worse than the original. Moreover, basically no one wants to see Isa get in (the protagonist of the sequel), and still only want Saki. Saki has a much more appealing design it seems.

Also, there appears to be quite a bit of blonde-haired swordwielders that are wanted for Smash 4. Isaac, Matthew, Saki, and Shulk.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Needless request: I hope Wolf's Black Costume takes off the Starfox 2 design (no eyepatch, black leather jacket).

I kinda like his Brawl uniform - it's so wild.

Plus it's now his "official" uniform done by fanboys, they kept drawing him without his vest leaving only his tanktop and his chest fur lol

playing star fox 64 3D earlier, lol i forgot about that cat girl that pops up in a level , shes gonna be a playable character now :p

I think Rob 64 has a chance , he will replace R.O.B :O

I'd rather Sakurai pick 10-15 characters off this list, instead of adding 10-15 characters from existing series.

I know a lot of people like the idea of adding a lot of new series, but that is not going to happen nor is it reasonable to expect such a precedent. After all there is a reason we only have about 3-4 new Nintendo series represented by a new playable character in each game.

Not 100%. IIRC there's still a bit of disorganization.

I don't get what you mean. It seems pretty organized to me. From left to right, you have a Mario column, a Mario universe column, a Zelda column, a miscellaneous / retro column (Samus makes sense there because the first Metroid and Kid Icarus were kind of connected), a Kirby column with Olimar thrown in (the only thing that's out of place, I guess), a Star Fox / F-Zero column (because the series reference each other a lot), a Pokemon column, a Mother / Fire Emblem column (the RPGs), and then the third-party characters with Game & Watch.

I'm not sure what more you could ask for. It doesn't really get any more organized than that.

Yeah it is, and I want to keep the organization still present.

I agree, it's kind of cool.

Crub

I'm personally hoping for the following characters:

King K. Rool
Tingle
Vaati
Starfy
Paper Mario
Waluigi
Mike Jones
Little Mac
Tom Nook

spanks

So, eventually they'll have to stop adding characters to the roster, otherwise we'll end up with 85+ characters in a generation or two. Not that it wouldn't be cool, but, you know, they have to make a profit. On the other hand, the excitement of newcomers is a mainstay of the series, and it would be sad to see them continuously deleting characters to add new ones, or just sticking with the same characters every time. This would be a couple iterations after the next one, so it's all just fun speculation, but... what if they started doing themed releases? Each could have a different focus, like:

Good Vs Evil (maybe more focused on story, kinda like Dissidia)

xJ1PL.png

pls forgive my scrub PS skillz
Also I'm up for any suggestions, if you want me to add a cool villain I forgot etc

Retro (with a focus on forgotten characters, maybe a mode where you play as their original sprites)
Could have characters like:
Lil Mac
Sukapon
Takamaru
Sherrif
Tatanga
Wart
Laughing Dog
Muddy Mole
Prince Sable
DeMille
Mach Rider
F-Type
Beast Ganon
Captain Syrup
Starfy
Flint
Jill Dozer
Lip
Princess Katia
Kalas
Kyle Hyde
Chibi Robo
Ray Mk2
Nester (Pilotwings)
Andy or Sami (Advance Wars)
Kachi and Isa (Sin & Punishment)
Elite Beat Agents / Ouendan
Captain Rainbow

Nintendo Vs Everyone (a complete mashup of third party characters)
Could have characters like:
Bomberman, Bonk (Hudson)
Megaman, Ryu, Viewtiful Joe (Capcom)
Pacman, Klonoa, Space Invader (Namco)
Rayman, Rabbids, Prince of Persia (Ubisoft)
Black Mage, Crono, Cloud, Geno, Slime (Square-Enix)
Simon Belmont, Goemon, Snake (Konami)
Sonic, Billy Hatcher, Vectorman (Sega)
Farmer (Natsume)
Bub & Bob (Taiko)
Ryu Hayabusa (Tecmo)
Maxwell, De Blob (THQ)
Marco (SNK)
Henry Hatsworth (EA)
Earthworm Jim (Infogrames)
Professor Layton (Level 5)
Commander Keen, Pitfall Harry, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro (Activision)
Travis Touchdown (Grasshopper Manufacture)
Banjo-Kazooie, Sackboy (Lol)

Or even specific third parties, like Nintendo Vs Sega, or:
Vs Capcom
Vs Namco
Vs SquareEnix
Vs Konami

Of course, the themes wouldn't just relate to the character choices, but the presentation, story, different modes, and even different gameplay ideas.
Then they could take everything that worked, and the characters that turned out most popular, and add them to the major once-a-generation Smash Bros title, which would be the more typical release we're used to.
Any cool themes you guys would like to see?

Boss Doggie

The problem is that some franchises have no outright evil characters. Antagonistic yeah, but not evil.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Best to keep expectations low when it comes to Nintendo and the Internet.

NFC and Streetpass are not related to the internet at all.
Are related to the "social" aspect of gaming, and about that I think that Nintendo could lead the market into really interesting direction.

Did you see Kid Icarus streetpass patent? In my opinion streetpass and probably also NFC could be the best upgrade/news into Smash Bros franchise, especially if 3DS and Wii U version will be able to communicate between themselves.

Did you see Kid Icarus streetpass patent? In my opinion streetpass and probably also NFC could be the best upgrade/news into Smash Bros franchise, especially if 3DS and Wii U version will be able to communicate between themselves.

No. I don't own a 3DS and I see no reason to.

I love using Mewtwo and despise using Lucario, i'm still kind of miffed myself.
Plus Lucario feels wrong to me, it's supposed to be a fighting steel type but instead it feels like they were using mewtwo as a base to work from instead.
What the. Aside from Neutral B and Fsmash (which really only looks similar), I don't understand how people still think this.

For me, I would like to see those characters (That dont meant I am fan of those charcters but I could see potential in those characters.)

Elite Beat Agent
Should get Assist Trophy status, but I have a neat idea.

The player that summons the EBAs get's pulled out of the battle for a sec and joins them to dance (stay with me). The player must now time their button presses with the circles going around numbers on screen like they would in EBA. The better they do, the more damage or whatever gets done to their opponents. When you summon the EBAs you have a random chance of getting either the Normal difficulty crew, Hard or the Divas. The speed of the button presses increases accordingly with whichever ones get summoned. You can even have the Ouendan crew show-up.

What the. Aside from Neutral B and Fsmash (which really only looks similar), I don't understand how people still think this.

It's not much but the kind of floaty movement, the fiery effect on most moves under the guise of aura like whatever the hell Mewtwo's shadowy fire was all about and reusing the shadow ball concept with aura sphere are shades of Mewtwo to me.
I'm just thinking the smash team decided to put some elements of his style in the new pokemon so that those ideas weren't left wasting away since Mewtwo didn't make the cut.
So replace "using Mewtwo as a base" with "reusing some Mewtwo traits" if it lessens the umm...controversy?

There are two reasons why a reboot is possible:
1. Due to Star Fox Command not having a "true ending".
2. Due to a strong demand by the Star Fox fanbase for the storyline to be rebooted.

The fact that post-64 Star Fox games are received like post-Dreamcast Sonic games, makes a reboot even more attractive. There also has not been a true new game for Star Fox since 2006, and with the only recent game being a remake of 64, a new continuity taking place after 64 would be a good idea.

Sooo your point is that ...
A-They MAY reboot the series someday. And if they do then,
B- Krystal will be removed completely for w/e reason instead of just being repurposed/ re-characterized to fit into w/e vision this new team and director has in mind along with the rest of the cast?

There's nothing wrong with her basic character origin nor her current stand in the series (Blue Jungle Fox turned crew member after becoming Fox's love interest ... and love interest are pretty common themes just like Rivals and side-kicks) so I don't get what you think would stop them from bringing her back and disregarding the games story IF they were to make a reboot at some point in the future.

As to Saki, he was well-received as an Assist Trophy due to his design. However, Sin & Punishment 2 bombed even worse than the original. Moreover, basically no one wants to see Isa get in (the protagonist of the sequel), and still only want Saki. Saki has a much more appealing design it seems.

Where might you be getting your information form?
You sound so sure of these statements ...
and please don't say "JPN forums". Last thing we need is to start that shit train again this early >_>

Boss Doggie

People look too much on "Star Fox 64 3DS" is a reboot - apparently they forgot that 3DS ports so far involve 64 titles, so yeah. It's not so much as a reboot as it is an attempt to put N64 games in 3DS.

Also most of the hate of post-64 games are overblown. From what I seen Adventures was lukewarm, Assault was slightly offending rescued by having the best music and multiplayer, and Command is... well... Command.

It's not much but the kind of floaty movement, the fiery effect on most moves under the guise of aura like whatever the hell Mewtwo's shadowy fire was all about and reusing the shadow ball concept with aura sphere are shades of Mewtwo to me.
I'm just thinking the smash team decided to put some elements of his style in the new pokemon so that those ideas weren't left wasting away since Mewtwo didn't make the cut.
So replace "using Mewtwo as a base" with "reusing some Mewtwo traits" if it lessens the umm...controversy?

No, it's still unfounded. It's essentially my problem with the Smash fanbase - tracing things that don't make sense and trying to make reason out of them.

No, it's still unfounded. It's essentially my problem with the Smash fanbase - tracing things that don't make sense and trying to make reason out of them.

This is also something I don't like about the fan-base :/

People do draw patterns and conclusion where there are none way too often.
Like the slots thing ...guess what? Pokemon has the most characters repped in brawl. And apparently Mewtwo was planned to be in so they could have had even more. So I see no reason why the amount of on-screen slots a series has has anything to do with anything in people's minds.

Same goes with looking at games sells to determine if a series will get a character or not. If Sakurai thinks a character is interesting enough to make it in then I don't see him going "Wellll, that game DID bomb ... so fuck that!! :D". That's why I expect some S&P2 reps ... he seemed like he could see the potential very clearly in brawl.

Man I had no idea people got so touchy with this stuff, i'm not claiming my rip roaring theory is actual fact by any stretch but whatever, I feel they could have done Lucario better than they did and i'll leave it at that, its not really a problem for me as i'm indifferent to the character anyway.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No. I don't own a 3DS and I see no reason to.

Hey, quite a funny post!

You don't need to own a 3DS neither to look a patent on the web nor to understand possible way of using it in the next Smash Bros.
Especially if the game I'm talking about isn't yet in the market!

;)

I know a lot of people like the idea of adding a lot of new series, but that is not going to happen nor is it reasonable to expect such a precedent. After all there is a reason we only have about 3-4 new Nintendo series represented by a new playable character in each game.

I'm sure you can at least appreciate the desire in adding the lead protagonist from one of these games instead of a second or third string Super Mario character.

spanks

The problem is that some franchises have no outright evil characters. Antagonistic yeah, but not evil.

Well, yeah. I meant more as in rivals. I probably should have said "Heroes Vs Villains". You're right that there are much less usable villains than heroes, but the 50+ I posted up there are more than enough for a one-off game.

Also I totally wanted to include Pious Augustus, who is definitely evil, but he would just not fit in at all.

NeonZ

I don't want Smash 4 to be yet another revision of Melee's engine. The best way to make Smash Bros. 4 feel like a complete package is to rebuild it from the ground up, much like the jump from SSB 64 to Melee.

They need to re-build the characters from scratch. No modifying assets and move data from Melee/Brawl.

SSB 64 and Melee's characters referred to the characters as they were in their latest games. Some of Brawl's character problems are beyond its control (as they're reliant on Nintendo's actual game output).

That's not completely true. Mario's new move in Melee was the cape from Super Mario World, not even close to a relevant game at the time of release. Since the first SSB, Link, although using the Ocarina of Time design, was capable of using the boomerang (a child-only weapon in OoT) and had the upwards and downwads jumping attacks from AoL. He also had the aLttP Zelda theme in SSB even though it was never used in OoT. The versions of the characters shown in SSB were never specifically limited to a single "source" game or version of the character.

Boss Doggie

Man I had no idea people got so touchy with this stuff, i'm not claiming my rip roaring theory is actual fact by any stretch but whatever, I feel they could have done Lucario better than they did and i'll leave it at that, its not really a problem for me as i'm indifferent to the character anyway.

It's more to do with people spouting it repeatedly as if they don't read the thread about it.

It's more to do with people spouting it repeatedly as if they don't read the thread about it.

It is a lengthy thread but if this is about the whole replacement pokemon stuff i'll say that wasn't the angle I was going for.
Now considering how long it's going to be until the next smash actually arrives we can prepare to go round and round in circles for months to come, a thrilling prospect to be sure.

spanks

Why is Sheriff a baddy?

Ha ha, that is my one concession. I figure since he's Nintendo's first ever video game character, he's probably the best rival for Mr Game & Watch. Maybe in the story he wants revenge for being forgotten, sort of like Oswald the Rabbit (Disney's first major character) in Epic Mickey? Also he's looks good opposite G&W on the roster, being retro and white. Oh, and you can never have too many cowboys in a game, or anywhere really.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ha ha, that is my one concession. I figure since he's Nintendo's first ever video game character, he's probably the best rival for Mr Game & Watch. Maybe in the story he wants revenge for being forgotten, sort of like Oswald the Rabbit (Disney's first major character) in Epic Mickey? Also he's looks good opposite G&W on the roster, being retro and white. Oh, and you can never have too many cowboys in a game, or anywhere really.

He has received cameos in Wario Ware and the GameBoy Camera, but he would be a good idea for a retro character because he is pretty obscure for a large proportion of Nintendo fans. If ROB caused confusion Sheriff certainly would.

I'm sure you can at least appreciate the desire in adding the lead protagonist from one of these games instead of a second or third string Super Mario character.

The more series there are the more difficult it becomes to integrate them all properly. Sakurai has already discussed this at some length in a recent interview with IGN. It is not as simple as just throwing in a new character and being done with it, there is more involved. On top of this the series that are left are not very large or successful by any means. Not that success of a series really matters when deciding upon playable characters, but it is something that does affect popularity. At the end of the day there will still be more people requesting Toad or Bowser Jr. versus Takamaru or Lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom