• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 leak: Android 4.3, 2 cameras, wireless charging, July 31st [Up: 1920x1200]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrs

I guess the largest sentiment from the buying public is that people buy assloads of iPads and iPhones and they don't have it either so nobody REALLY seems to mind

But Apple excludes it to make more profit and to push a cloud service.

Phoenix

But Apple excludes it to make more profit and to push a cloud service.

Doesn't really matter why they do it - it only matters that they are able to get away with it without any issues (and Google is pushing a cloud service as well). Nobody is really complaining loudly enough (with their wallets) that they have to have SD so there isn't a lot of market momentum to include it either way.

9kBcaOQ.png
https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/359133579248275457/photo/1

Somnid

Not the point I was making. I mean sizes closer to 8 than 7.

I've only seen one tablet in that highly specific range which and it was a really weird 4:3 aspect. I have an 8.9" which is a pretty decent size for carrying though for portable 7" is already pushing it. You can palm it with gorilla hands and they fit snuggly in you Levi Pipes. Past that you might as well go a bit bigger a get the high DPI screen and spec upgrades.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Part of me whats to wait for the iPad 5, but I might just make the jump. The screen size bugs me and the price isn't too sweet.

Pooya

If there are cheaper models with lower storage, I'll buy one for my mom, first nexus not having a rear camera was the deal breaker and she's more familiar with Android than anything else. Sounds like a good update even if resolution is same.

reKon

Banned
If iOS wasn't a boring piece of shit that actually let you do things you want to do like easily customize nice look looking home screens, play games with good bluetooth gaming pads such as the Moga Pro, change your default apps for mail/browser, maps, sharing, and had a good Good Google Music app (I thought this was going to be on iOS..?), THEN I would consider getting an iPad Mini. It's a shame about the bezel, but 1900x1200 on 7 inches, sporting 2 gb of ram, and S4 Pro w/ Andreno 320 will eat babies. The only place this will suffer is when the next gen of smartphone games will demand a strong GPU. If you don't really do that much intense gaming, this tablet is a steal at this price.

I'm happy that the 1080p screen was confirmed, but now I'm a little bit concerned about battery life, if it is indeed smaller than the old Nexus 7's, while pushing more pixels.

If there are cheaper models with lower storage, I'll buy one for my mom, first nexus not having a rear camera was the deal breaker and she's more familiar with Android than anything else. Sounds like a good update even if resolution is same.

the 16GB model *is* the cheaper model with lower storage. if no rear camera was the deal breaker, get her a Sero 7 Pro from Walmart.

Dizzan

MINI Member
After the debacle of preorderin gthe last model and having to mait a month to get it, no way in hell am I ordering from Google Play. So useless.

That being said, after using the 7 for a year, I really would prefer an 8 inch tablet.

I may wait to see what they do with the next nexus 10 but I really wish the 7 was an 8.

Owzers

After the debacle of preorderin gthe last model and having to mait a month to get it, no way in hell am I ordering from Google Play. So useless.

That being said, after using the 7 for a year, I really would prefer an 8 inch tablet.

I may wait to see what they do with the next nexus 10 but I really wish the 7 was an 8.
Next nexus 10 or next 8.9" kindle fire for me, I'm hoping amazon opens their tablet up next time....carousel and lack of apps killed it for me.

giga

I've only seen one tablet in that highly specific range which and it was a really weird 4:3 aspect. I have an 8.9" which is a pretty decent size for carrying though for portable 7" is already pushing it. You can palm it with gorilla hands and they fit snuggly in you Levi Pipes. Past that you might as well go a bit bigger a get the high DPI screen and spec upgrades.
Samsung makes sub 8" tablets.

kevm3

Does 1080p and higher resolutions really matter on a 7" tablet? Is the difference really that easily discernible? From a technology standpoint, it's a nice box to tick off, but from a performance standpoint, is it really worth it to keep on climbing higher and higher on the resolution scale on such relatively tiny screens?

jetsetrez

I'm so excited for this. I love the 7" form factor and light weight of the current N7, my only complaints are performance and speaker. I'm even generally pleased with the current resolution/ppi, but an upgrade there sounds absolutely fantastic as well. Will be buying day 1. Pumped!

cdkee

Banned
Does 1080p and higher resolutions really matter on a 7" tablet? Is the difference really that easily discernible? From a technology standpoint, it's a nice box to tick off, but from a performance standpoint, is it really worth it to keep on climbing higher and higher on the resolution scale on such relatively tiny screens?

I have a Galaxy Nexus (4.65" 720p screen) and I was blown away when I saw my friends S4 (5" 1080p screen). Text is so so much more crisp as well as evertmything else. It really is a noticeable upgrade IMO.

Is this something that's gonna be sold out and require a preorder to obtain? Ugh, I get my paycheck two weeks into August and I plan to buy it then and I don't want to wait longer than that.

Huh, I work at Staples. Maybe if I actually watched Brainshark I would have seen this sooner.

The 7/24 thing is interesting, though. Generally stores in my region receive shipment of items on Tuesday/Friday. Maybe we'll get it on the 23rd? Would love to play around with it. Too bad we won't be getting a demo that day :(

Darkwater

Any word on a release outside the US? I'm in the Netherlands. We always get fucking shafted when it comes to products like this. I guess I'll go back to wearing clogs & eating cheese in my windmill.

Cipherr

Man, I can tell the difference between a 720p screen and a 1080p screen on a 4.7" phone. So yeah, you can CERTAINLY tell the difference on a 7" tablet man.

The rear camera will help make Evernote a lot more useful to me (never liked using my phone as the only device).

Too bad the existing Nexus 7 dock is about to become extinct. That'll teach me from buying accessories.

reKon

Banned
Looks great, but still why the big bezel (they could have cut a quarter off that shit at the very least) I mean the speakers are right behind it too. I originally thought that the design of the speakers were fine, but they really aren't because you'll block it if you hold it in landscape. Google better not have another launch video explaining that they've thought of every detail to make it perfect to use like they did with the older nexus 7 because they'd be lying.

Nicktendo86

Looks great, but still why the big bezel (they could have cut a quarter off that shit at the very least) I mean the speakers are right behind it too. I originally thought that the design of the speakers were fine, but they really aren't because you'll block it if you hold it in landscape. Google better not have another launch video explaining that they've thought of every detail to make it perfect to use like they did with the older nexus 7 because they'd be lying.

I was worried about that but thinking about the way you hold it I think your hands would probably cup the speakers and aplify the sound, no idea though need hands on reports to find out!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
1920x1200? Oh thank GOD. I've been waiting for a 1080p (or higher) screen on a smaller tablet forever. Since I use my tablets primarily for reading, I've always had to choose either the crisp clear text on a big ass tablet that isn't comfy for reading like an iPad 3/4 or another 10" tablet or sacrifice screen sharpness with a 720p (or a little better) display while having a comfortable tablet for reading. Finally I can have the best of both. I can guarantee being able to see a huge difference between the screen on this new N7 and the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom