• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 leak: Android 4.3, 2 cameras, wireless charging, July 31st [Up: 1920x1200]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyBrad

They'd actually be correct.

The assets for iOS are made with a specific resolution in mind, meaning sharper graphics. On the android side, everything is scaled which leads to interpolation and eventually fuzzyness, even if the screens are close to the same resolution.

Unless the dev is extremely half assed they can easily make different assets for resolutions. Some older apps look like crap obviously but in general it's not really an issue.

kehs

Banned
Unless the dev is extremely half assed they can easily make different assets for resolutions. Some older apps look like crap obviously but in general it's not really an issue.

Even downs calling kills sharpness.

Unless they move into having vector assets, it'll always be the case.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
jailbreak?

Yeah, I just didn't find much use for it when I had a jail broken phone a while back. Maybe there's more I could do with it now. Still, tethering makes using the tablet a bit pointless when I could just use my phone if I have it out. :p

I assume I'd jailbreak and be able to use the wireless hotspot free?

Yeah, I just didn't find much use for it when I had a jail broken phone a while back. Maybe there's more I could do with it now. Still, tethering makes using the tablet a bit pointless when I could just use my phone if I have it out. :p

I assume I'd jailbreak and be able to use the wireless hotspot free?

so i've heard...

rc213

So what's the deal, I been looking to swap my Nexus 10 for something more portable.

Really do need HDMI out to watch movies, Any clue if it's included this time?

Bear

Do Nexus products made by Asus still have their notorious I/O issues?

I love my Nexus 4 and I'm considering getting a Nexus 7, but Asus's track record with that worries me.

scently

Can somebody point me to the Android app thread? can't seem to find it.

Anyway, the reason I am asking is that I am considering getting the new Nexus 7 when it comes out and I would like a very good reading app, preferably one that looks like and behaves like iBook on iPad.

Mindwipe

Do Nexus products made by Asus still have their notorious I/O issues?

I love my Nexus 4 and I'm considering getting a Nexus 7, but Asus's track record with that worries me.

The existing one does. Unclear if the new one will. Google are idiots if they let Asus cock that up again.

Perhaps they'll implement Trim properly in 4.3 though, which would help.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So it'd be a good decision for me to sell my iPad 3 for this device then? I'll likely make enough off the ipad to buy this with no extra cash needed.

My dad has the first one and it's solid.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Crap. Just got a Kindle Fire HD. Should I return it and pay the $50 more to get this? The Kindle Fire's internet has been slower than my iPhone which has been disappointing but the only reason I chose it over other devices was for HDMI. Now this thing has slimport (which I didn't even know was a thing).

JonnyBrad

The existing one does. Unclear if the new one will. Google are idiots if they let Asus cock that up again.

Perhaps they'll implement Trim properly in 4.3 though, which would help.

It was the number one complaint with the old one. That was essentially something that was already built then made into a nexus device in 3 months.

You would think as they've has over a year this time they won't put into shit NAND. The trim thing was fixed in 4.2.2 but they can't fix degraded NAND.

Then again Google make some stupid decisions some times.

Crap. Just got a Kindle Fire HD. Should I return it and pay the $50 more to get this? The Kindle Fire's internet has been slower than my iPhone which has been disappointing but the only reason I chose it over other devices was for HDMI. Now this thing has slimport (which I didn't even know was a thing).

I personally would but that's totally up to you and your needs/wants etc.

Ultimatum

Banned
I have a nexus 7 but it broke a few days ago (doesn't turn on), I think it's still under warranty so can I just wait a month and get a new nexus?

solarus

YES, dear god yes. Get a real tablet.

solarus

Yikes, is it that bad?

I personally only picked it up because it had HDMI. Although now I'm in an awkward state where I have it rooted and need to unroot it to return it.
Ah sorry I shouldn't exaggerate so much, it is a decent tablet depending on what your personal wants out of the device would be and how you will use it. Personally I don't see why you would restrict yourself to the limited and amazon media consuming device that are the fire tablets. The nexus 7 will give you a fully featured os in the form of stock android with regular updates and the new nexus has pretty killer hardware for the price, plus it can do all of the things the fire can but far better. Kindle, web browsing, video, etc. that's a given, you can also do far more however if you get the nexus and the new slimport means you can output by hdmi using an adapter.

rrs

Yes, it has HDMI output through slimport and specs worth a damn.

Somnid

Yikes, is it that bad?

I personally only picked it up because it had HDMI. Although now I'm in an awkward state where I have it rooted and need to unroot it to return it.

No but this is better. New Kindles are likely in September too. Not a great time to buy last years models unless you're looking for a deal and then I'd point you to a Nook HD.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
No but this is better. New Kindles are likely in September too. Not a great time to buy last years models unless you're looking for a deal and then I'd point you to a Nook HD.

Well I bought it during the sale, but thanks to tax it came out to about $180. I could probably get a Nexus 7 from a tax-free place so it is $50 for the upgrade (plus $12 for slimport adapter).

My whole issue is that I'm not sure I even need a tablet at all. I originally wanted one for reading, then decided to go for a HD as a replacement for bringing my laptop on vacations for HDMI output to TV. But the browsers on it are so slow that it's pointless to use while on my couch when my iPhone or netbook out-perform it. I'm wondering if it's just an android thing or if the quad core on the Nexus would resolve that.

mackattk

Well I bought it during the sale, but thanks to tax it came out to about $180. I could probably get a Nexus 7 from a tax-free place so it is $50 for the upgrade (plus $12 for slimport adapter).

My whole issue is that I'm not sure I even need a tablet at all. I originally wanted one for reading, then decided to go for a HD as a replacement for bringing my laptop on vacations for HDMI output to TV. But the browsers on it are so slow that it's pointless to use while on my couch when my iPhone or netbook out-perform it. I'm wondering if it's just an android thing or if the quad core on the Nexus would resolve that.

I have never used a kindle before, but their web browser is "cloud accelerated" or something like that. If you get a Nexus 7, or any equivalent, there are a wide range of browsers to use. I have never had any trouble with the browsing experience on any of my android devices.

solarus

This is not true anymore, this thing will definitely be speedy.

Seik

Banned
So I think the announcement is for tomorrow right?

I'm grabbing one for sure. I had a first gen N7 and the screen corner went off the frame and after reading about almost everyone having the same problem even after returning it multiple times, I just returned it for a refund thinking I'd buy a next gen tablet instead.

I really, really hope they won't fuck up this time too. I always knew ASUS as a synonym of quality but the N7 got me doubting.

I'm grabbing one for sure. I had a first gen N7 and the screen corner went off the frame and after reading about almost everyone having the same problem even after returning it multiple times, I just returned it for a refund thinking I'd buy a next gen tablet instead.

I really, really hope they won't fuck up this time too. I always knew ASUS as a synonym of quality but the N7 got me doubting.

Well, thats what we're hoping for at least but it should be tomorrow.

It better be tomorrow.

Somnid

Little bit of both. The 7" KFHD doesn't have an especially powerful CPU and it can have some performance issues (the 8.9" should be okay though). But also Chrome on mobile isn't an especially snappy browser from the rendering side and Amazon's Silk is a Chromium-based browser that is forked off an older Chromium build but has some of it's own speed optimizations that are very YMMV. That said it should be comparable to an iPhone and an atom-based netbook.

I think any hardware upgrade should make a noticeable difference and certainly browsing is 99% the point of a tablet.

I've _heard_ (keyword) it was kind of because the product was rushed. Regardless, hope it's sorted this time. I love the original n7. As far as I can remember the n7 is really the only ASUS product I've ever had an issue with. My last 4 laptops have all been ASUS and no issues whatsoever.

Mario007

I've _heard_ (keyword) it was kind of because the product was rushed. Regardless, hope it's sorted this time. I love the original n7. As far as I can remember the n7 is really the only ASUS product I've ever had an issue with. My last 4 laptops have all been ASUS and no issues whatsoever.
I agree with this, I'm rocking a Transformer tf300 and got no issues with it really.

pestul

Looks like I'll be getting one for my birthday in August. I just hope they're widely available later in that month.

GutsOfThor

I've decided I'm going to upgrade to this from my og Nexus 7. How would I go about preparing my current Nexus to be sold? Where would I get the best trade in value?

Speevy

Banned
I don't get why this has to be even a cent more expensive. Its sole purpose is to offer an inexpensive alternative to everything else.

I've decided I'm going to upgrade to this from my og Nexus 7. How would I go about preparing my current Nexus to be sold? Where would I get the best trade in value?

Just factory reset it from the settings menu and delete anything on internal drive that is personal to sell. Price varies really depending where you are. You want to put it no ebay or craiglist?

More leaks...worst kept google secret lol

nexus7-2ndgen-xqckx.jpg

nexus7-2ndgen-xqckx2.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/23/new-nexus-7-surfaces-in-photos-packaging/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom