• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 leak: Android 4.3, 2 cameras, wireless charging, July 31st [Up: 1920x1200]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karkador

Banned
Hopefully it's still unlocked and not only available through a specific carrier/contract, but the lack of even a price mention for the mobile data version is a bit worrisome

Somnid

Hopefully it's still unlocked and not only available through a specific carrier/contract, but the lack of even a price mention for the mobile data version is a bit worrisome

It's probably going to be available sometime later like the 3G Nexus 7.

TxdoHawk

Any word on mobile data? Can I get a 4G Verizon model maybe?

Tough to say, really. You can get a Chromebook Pixel with Verizon LTE, but it seems like Google doesn't want LTE all up in their Nexus line due to having to be tied to carriers. Now we've got the one dude heading up both Android and Chrome though...so maybe that policy will change?

Vyer

Seems like its quite abit slimmer too:

i2rT0qVOOOyYV.png

not digging that new look. Looked much better in the videos, though at the angle you couldn't see how much bigger the bezel looks. meh.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I love the way the back looks, look like it'll be comfortable for reading. I just hope Google pulls a "Available to order today" during their conference, and then it'll be available a week later in stores like Best Buy and Staples.

Somnid

323!!! What was the n10, 300? Highest PPI of any tablet now?

-The Nexus 10 is the current highest at 298.
-The current highest 7" is the Nook HD at 242.
-The old Nexus 7 was 215.
-A retina iPad is 264.
-A mini iPad is 163.
-A retina mini iPad would be 324.
-Amazon is rumored to be doing a 8.9" 2560x1600 which would be 339 PPI.
-If the Nexus 10 gets an resolution upgrade it would probably be 3200 x 2000 or 373 PPI.

TxdoHawk

-If the Nexus 10 gets an resolution upgrade it would probably be 3200 x 2000 or 373 PPI.

This really seems like it would just be ludicrous. I love a good high-res display as much as the next person, but I think we are rapidly reaching the point where the added PPI isn't worth the cost in price, battery life, graphics processing power needs, etc. just yet.

Somnid

This really seems like it would just be ludicrous. I love a good high-res display as much as the next person, but I think we are rapidly reaching the point where the added PPI isn't worth the cost in price, battery life, graphics processing power needs, etc. just yet.

Definitely agree with you. I was throwing out hypotheticals just for the sake of DPI penis comparison. Most people aren't going to notice changes above 250 or so which is pegged as the "retina" DPI but processing power increases exponentially.

Zeppu

Oh nice confrimed 1920x1200 resolution sweet. That's a PPI of 323 people.

-A retina iPad is 264.
-A mini iPad is 163.

Bwhahahaha that's going to be hilarious

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose

it's a shame memory space isn't going as fast. 16/32gb has kinda become the norm.

Think i might get one for the dad.

are there apps for android that lets me stream all my pc stuff over through local wifi? Including mkv 10 bit and all the funky jazz stuff of today.

TxdoHawk

Definitely agree with you. I was throwing out hypotheticals just for the sake of DPI penis comparison. Most people aren't going to notice changes above 250 or so which is pegged as the "retina" DPI but processing power increases exponentially.

I'm assuming we'll get there and beyond eventually, onwards and upwards and all that.

What would really melt minds is a spec-bumped n10 that starts at $329. I'm sure manufacturers would howl and yell and be terribly displeased, though.

-A retina iPad is 264.
-A mini iPad is 163.

All this resolution chasing is just getting silly, my newly bought Xperia Z looks find with 1920x1200 on a 10.1" screen.

Heck I still have my 15.6" laptop at 1080P and that looks great.

MercuryLS

Banned
Hopefully they won't skimp on the assembly cost, the creaking on the top right hand side of the original Nexus 7 was unacceptable.

solarus

Honestly whatever dpi the iphone 4 had when it coined the whole "retina" screen stuff is fine for me and I could not give a shit about increases past that, complete waste of processing power.

Calmine

-A retina iPad is 264.
-A mini iPad is 163.

Would Apple really increase the PPI to 324 of mini retina just to take the piss?

That Amazon rumour is insane. Nexus 10 at that res, is almost believable since Samsung launched a 13" tablet with it.

Edit: Looked it up an ipad mini with 2048x1536 res at 7.9 would be 324ppi

TxdoHawk

it's a shame memory space isn't going as fast. 16/32gb has kinda become the norm.

I think this is just manufacturers knowing that anyone who hoards data will suck it up and pay the cost.

Hopefully we will soon reach the point where it's more expensive to put in 16gb rather than 32 due to the supply side of things, I'm assuming that is what will finally push us along.

Somnid

Would Apple really increase the PPI to 324 of mini retina just to take the piss?

That Amazon rumour is insane. Nexus 10 at that res, is almost believable since Samsung launched a 13" tablet with it.

The current iPad Mini is a hardware tragedy highly uncharacteristic of Apple. The resolution was completely unacceptable in 2012 and it does need to be fixed and we do know that they like to double the res for 2x scaling. Adding more than that becomes physically unnecessary but for many manufacturers spec-sheets are highly important because to consumers those are physical numbers that can be directly compared to others.

Talon

The current iPad Mini is a hardware tragedy highly uncharacteristic of Apple. The resolution was completely unacceptable in 2012 and it does need to be fixed and we do know that they like to double the res for 2x scaling. Adding more than that becomes physically unnecessary but for many manufacturers spec-sheets are highly important because to consumers those are physical numbers that can be directly compared to others.
I use a mini every day, and I think you're hilarious overstating it. The tech wasn't there for the balance of battery life and heat to be acceptable.

I use a mini every day, and I think you're hilarious overstating it. The tech wasn't there for the balance of battery life and heat to be acceptable.

I had a mini. I love the form factor but I'd be lying if I said the screen looked great. It's especially noticeable after using it's big brother with retina. Not really noticeable for videos but it is for pretty much every else where I'm reading text...at least for me.

btrboyev

Sure it was. No reason why apple couldn't have put a higher resolution in there at all.

rrs

I had a mini. I love the form factor but I'd be lying if I said the screen looked great. It's especially noticeable after using it's big brother with retina. Not really noticeable for videos but it is for pretty much every else where I'm reading text...at least for me.

Got an iPad 2 here, the magic anti-alais takes the low rez burn off a bit but it's nothing to a proper high DPI screen.

Talon

Sure it was. No reason why apple couldn't have put a higher resolution in there at all.
Oh, I see what I'm dealing with here. The IGZO displays that were thin enough to make sense for the device weren't in place this time last year, and they're still having yield issues this year.

It was certainly a downgrade visually coming from the iPad 3, but the form factor has made up the difference for me. I'll be passing along my mini to the GF and getting the retina one whenever that comes out - either this year or next.

Somnid

Nobody with other competing 7" seems to complain about battery life or heat. Many Mini users complained the screen was pretty assy coming from Apple who pioneered DPI specs as a form of advertisement.

Oh, I see what I'm dealing with here. The IGZO displays that were thin enough to make sense for the device weren't in place this time last year, and they're still having yield issues this year.

It was certainly a downgrade visually coming from the iPad 3, but the form factor has made up the difference for me. I'll be passing along my mini to the GF and getting the retina one whenever that comes out - either this year or next.

It has nothing to do with IGZO displays. We already established the hypothetical mini would only see a DPI increase of 1 over this new Nexus device. If they can't ship a similar product in a similar timeframe then they are probably betting on the wrong horse and need to wait for that tech to mature.

It has nothing to do with IGZO displays. We already established the hypothetical mini would only see a DPI increase of 1 over this new Nexus device. If they can't ship a similar product in a similar timeframe then they are probably betting on the wrong horse and need to wait for that tech to mature.
not even 1, more like 0.6 ppi difference

guys, 1920*1200 @ 7" = 323.45 ppi

and while 2048*1536 @ 7.9" = 324.05 ppi, if they used the same sheets that the new Nexus uses, they could get 2048*1536 @ 323.45 ppi and the screen would only be 7.915", a 0.015" increase

kehs

Banned
Gonna be lots of people seeing the difference.

They'd actually be correct.

The assets for iOS are made with a specific resolution in mind, meaning sharper graphics. On the android side, everything is scaled which leads to interpolation and eventually fuzzyness, even if the screens are close to the same resolution.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So what do you guys think the chances are of Google pulling a "Available today on the Play Store" on Wednesday, while Best Buy and Staples will have it in stores a week later?

javac

ppi competition is madness. People act like the HTC One having a higher ppi than the S4 is a noteworthy point. It's 441 vs 468 ppi people! 350+ is crazy territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom