• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 8 |OT| - Hail To The Chiefs

It's to the point where there is just no defense left for Ireland. He can't blame injuries, he can't blame a lack of resources (draft picks and cap space) for the o-line's issues, the writing was on the wall all offseason and he ignored it. I wanted to give him one more shot as I do believe he has improved somewhat post-Parcells but it's to the point now where his incompetency is shackling the entire team and making whatever good he has done irrelevant.

Bringing in McKinnie at this point is such a desperation "band-aid over a Gronk'd up forearm" move it's just sad. Again, it has nothing to do with injuries, it has to do with incompetency from the starters that Ireland had faith in (particularly the tackles).

Of course, there is plenty more blame to go around. Coyle's defense has somehow gotten worse after last season, even with supposed personnel upgrades, Sherman's play-calling has killed the team's momentum at crucial times, Tannehill has started regressing in areas like decision making and poise in the pocket after a solid start, Wallace has underwhelmed, and on and on it goes.

All of that said, if the o-line somehow improves with McKinnie this team could still make the playoffs. They've had one clear win, one clear loss, and four games that could have easily gone either way. The good teams finish the close games, and that is the biggest thing that's changed from 3-0 to 3-3.

The good news is my optimism has been completely broken after that gut-wrenching Bills game so more losses will just be facepalm inducing instead of rage inducing. Yaaaaaaaaaay.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel, I've given up on this coaching staff and without the oline they are ruining any chance Tannehill has of really developing into our franchise QB. I expect another 7-9/8-8 season and have all but accepted a loss this weekend. So yeah bring on the draft!

cdyhybrid

Quit actiing like you are in a good division

We aren't, but our QB is in his second year and doesn't need a walker to get out of the huddle.

Have you watched any AFC East teams this season? They're mediocre but surprisingly competitive. Without division games the Pats would be 3-1 anyway.

Let me troll in peace, damnit! Besides, Brady lost to the Jets. That in itself should be a sign that he's done.

Milchjon

Schiano will be your new DC next season.

505658499b936.image.jpg

This is a real man.

Top 5 Defense despite all the injuries!

It's not gonna last :-(

Fantomex

That's why you're my boy Greg.

As for the Dolphins. I hate being right, especially when it comes to sports teams. The problem with Ireland is that he went away from everything Parcells for the most part focused on . Parcells to me was always cut from that Chuck Knoll cloth. You build both lines first, move on to QB and then sprinkle great position players here and there. For Ireland, I have disagreed with him on so many moves, even the ones where he's been right.

I disagreed with:
  • Not resigning Jake Long
  • Drafting Tannehill
  • Paying Wallace that much money
  • Trading Vontae Davis
  • Signing Ellerbee

I agreed with him:
  • Hiring Mike Sherman
  • Drafting Dion Jordan
  • Trading Brandon Marshall

As you can see, I've been wrong a ton of times. The problem is, as a fan, I can be wrong all I want, and I'm not affecting the future of a franchise. Ireland is. The worst thing at this point is going 8-8 or 9-7. These dudes either need to go 5-11 or 11-5. No in between. We really need an offensive line, a posession receiver, speedy tight end, a running back and some physical corners. So basically half of a football team.

At least we got a new logo.

squicken

Schiano will be your new DC next season.

There was to be a golden armed youth, strong in stature, destined to slay the monster Schiano. But his numerous attempts to strike the beast's soft breast were horrifically overthrown. Now Schiano is an unstoppable CDC disaster

Was on a work 'field' trip and missed the news about Hillman.

He has been benched and deactivated. CJ Anderson will be active and hopefully get some playing time!

Feel bad for Hillman, hopefully he'll bounce back like Knowshon did. I think Anderson will end up being the best back when all is said and done. Still be a committee though, until Anderson and Ball prove they are both good pass protectors and can get tough yards. Very happy about Anderson, hopefully he backs up his talk.

So happy CJ is getting a shot. Hope he makes the most of his chance.

As for the Dolphins. I hate being right, especially when it comes to sports teams. The problem with Ireland is that he went away from everything Parcells for the most part focused on . Parcells to me was always cut from that Chuck Knoll cloth. You build both lines first, move on to QB and then sprinkle great position players here and there. For Ireland, I have disagreed with him on so many moves, even the ones where he's been right.

I disagreed with:
  • Drafting Tannehill
  • Trading Vontae Davis
  • Signing Ellerbee

I agreed with him:
  • Hiring Mike Sherman
  • Drafting Dion Jordan
  • Trading Brandon Marshall

As you can see, I've been wrong a ton of times. The problem is, as a fan, I can be wrong all I want, and I'm not affecting the future of a franchise. Ireland is. The worst thing at this point is going 8-8 or 9-7. These dudes either need to go 5-11 or 11-5. No in between. We really need an offensive line, a posession receiver, speedy tight end, a running back and some physical corners. So basically half of a football team.

At least we got a new logo.

What you guys need is Richardson.

squicken

I disagreed with:
  • Drafting Tannehill
  • Trading Vontae Davis
  • Signing Ellerbee

Jake Long is okay but he can't handle good pass rushers 1v1 and will get straight worked a few times a game. It's so weird seeing a LT fall down so much. Saffold is actually better but is never healthy. Someone will pay him lots of money this offseason b/c of his skill, probably Ireland, but regret it b/c he is constantly hurt. Your coaches have broke Tannehill and need to work on fixing him. Don't draft a QB, fail to protect him, then get confused when he starts showing the effects.

Not directed at anyone in particular, b/c I see this all over with fans who want to draft a QB this year. I think Andrew Luck ruined the ground for all first round picks. Everyone thinks their guy needs to be like that. It is insane. He's a once a decade QB (we'll see with Winston). There isn't a Luck in this draft, and having that expectation is just going to leave everyone bitter about it

Jake Long is okay but he can't handle good pass rushers 1v1 and will get straight worked a few times a game. It's so weird seeing a LT fall down so much. Saffold is actually better but is never healthy. Someone will pay him lots of money this offseason b/c of his skill, probably Ireland, but regret it b/c he is constantly hurt. Your coaches have broke Tannehill and need to work on fixing him. Don't draft a QB, fail to protect him, then get confused when he starts showing the effects.

Not directed at anyone in particular, b/c I see this all over with fans who want to draft a QB this year. I think Andrew Luck ruined the ground for all first round picks. Everyone thinks their guy needs to be like that. It is insane. He's a once a decade QB (we'll see with Winston). There isn't a Luck in this draft, and having that expectation is just going to leave everyone bitter about it
The coaches broke Tannehill? How exactly do you explain that considering their background with QB's, and the fact that Sherman has been coaching him since college? The o-line issues are not scheme related, they are personnel related. Ireland, Clabo, and to a lesser extent the rest of the o-line deserve the blame for the beating Tannehill has taken this year as well as his recently developed skittishness.

squicken

The coaches broke Tannehill? How exactly do you explain that considering their background with QB's, and the fact that Sherman has been coaching him since college? The o-line issues are not scheme related, they are personnel related. Ireland, Clabo, and to a lesser extent the rest of the o-line deserve the blame for the beating Tannehill has taken this year as well as his recently developed skittishness.

You have to adjust the scheme then. After STL got destroyed by Dallas and SF, they junked their spread dreams and started putting 3 TEs on the field. Cossell talks about this in the most recent fantasy guru podcast. It's hard to be exotic with blitz packages against heavy sets like that. All that stuff comes when teams blitz off the slot and drop linemen. You can't drop linemen when multiple TEs are on the field and expose yourself to getting gashed with the run. It's boring, but 3 yards runs and staying out of 3rd and long protects offensive linemen

Not a coincidence that Cam has looked a lot better now that they are running him more and going two back more often

Boilerplate: Yes, none of that matters if you have Luck, Brees, Rodgers or Peyton. Does your team have Luck or Rodgers? Congrats if yes. Most rules of team building don't apply. You just need linemen who get in the way for a second or two

You have to adjust the scheme then. After STL got destroyed by Dallas and SF, they junked their spread dreams and started putting 3 TEs on the field. Cossell talks about this in the most recent fantasy guru podcast. It's hard to be exotic with blitz packages against heavy sets like that. All that stuff comes when teams blitz off the slot and drop linemen. You can't drop linemen when multiple TEs are on the field and expose yourself to getting gashed with the run. It's boring, but 3 yards runs and staying out of 3rd and long protects offensive linemen

Not a coincidence that Cam has looked a lot better now that they are running him more and going two back more often

Boilerplate: Yes, none of that matters if you have Luck, Brees, Rodgers or Peyton. Does your team have Luck or Rodgers? Congrats if yes. Most rules of team building don't apply. You just need linemen who get in the way for a second or two
Philbin and Sherman are definitely stubborn at times, I will grant you that. They are very dedicated to their philosophies. The thing is, I don't think the Dolphins have the personnel to succeed in a system like the one you're describing, and to be honest if you have to scrap an offensive system you've been dedicated to for a year and a half overnight you have already failed.

Maybe Philbin and Sherman are guilty of running a system that won't work with Miami's personnel, but it's hard for me to fault them too much when I believe everyone on the team is capable of succeeding in that system other than the o-line. And have you seen some of the sacks Clabo has been giving up? He isn't even getting in the way on some of those plays, he is a flawless example of a turnstile.

Ultimately Ireland is to blame here. There is only so much coaches can do when they are working with guys who are failing at the most fundamental parts of their positions, guys who just shouldn't be there. You're talking about exotic blitzes, I'm talking about guys getting flat out beat in 1 on 1 situations before Tannehill can even finish dropping back.

Top Bottom