• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 16 |OT| A Fraud Was Always a Legend

I think FEs like 6 and 7 are clearly tighter more balanced games than FE:A but I still prefer Awakening as a total package. There is just so much to love, it felt like a dream game to me the entire time I played it.

Speaking of FE6, I was playing that earlier this year, I need to pick it back up. I got to a side chapter in the teens (can't remember for sure) where there are magic users everywhere with long range attacks, berserk, etc. I'm not just talking one or two guys either, I'm talking all over the map, and on top of that more will come in as reinforcements throughout the fight and peg you from about 10 tiles away. It's not that I can't beat it but damn is it annoying as hell, one of the few times I've felt that way about a FE map.

FE6 is hard, but there's something about it I just love. The brutal difficulty, the maps, and the characters are some of my favorites. It also has some fantastic music and probably my favorite villain in a FE game. The conflict with Bern was always more interesting to me than any other political struggle I've seen in an FE game. The only thing I dislike about it is how useless Rogues are outside of getting treasure and how Roy is useless for like 80% of the game.

Also, make sure you do all the side chapters. If you miss something, you're locked out of the last two chapters and the true ending.

I can't look at myself! I hate that when I make a post it takes me to that post so I can see this hideous avatar.

I'm so upset. But I'm a man of honour and will continue to post regularly and not cower away for a week.

Oh you think shameful avys are your ally? You merely adopted the shame.

I was born in it, molded by it.

I won't see a handsome avy again until February 2nd and by then it'll be nothing to me but BLINDING

I love all of you olds to death and in many ways I am one of you but just because you stopped paying attention doesn't mean consoles aren't still great. It's true that certain genres have had a tougher time staying relevant in the modern era than others but overall there are still true gems releasing on a consistent basis.

I'd take the PS3 and its library over any console and I'll probably say the same about the PS4 when all is said and done. The only thing that makes me pause at all with that statement is the relative lack of JRPGs which really peaked with the SNES and PS2.

FE6 is hard, but there's something about it I just love. The brutal difficulty, the maps, and the characters are some of my favorites. It also has some fantastic music and probably my favorite villain in a FE game. The conflict with Bern was always more interesting to me than any other political struggle I've seen in an FE game.

Also, make sure you do all the side chapters. If you miss something, you're locked out of the last two chapters and the true ending.
I don't mind the difficulty but this is more on the cheap side of things, imo. To be fair it's the only map in the game that has felt this way. I do agree with you on Roy and thiefs, that is a clear upgrade they made in 7.

I found out about the true ending when it was already too late. :(

bionic77

Dreamcast 4 Life you basic fucks
The Dreamcast was pretty tremendous for the 15 minutes it was alive.

It was pretty legendary though for introducing online and NBA 2k (I never got into PSO, the other legendary game it had).

Other than that it was just a kickass arcade machine at home.

I love all of you olds to death and in many ways I am one of you but just because you stopped paying attention doesn't mean consoles aren't still great. It's true that certain genres have had a tougher time staying relevant in the modern era than others but overall there are still true gems releasing on a consistent basis.

I'd take the PS3 and its library over any console and I'll probably say the same about the PS4 when all is said and done. The only thing that makes me pause at all with that statement is the relative lack of JRPGs which really peaked with the SNES and PS2.

I don't mind the difficulty but this is more on the cheap side of things, imo. To be fair it's the only map in the game that has felt this way.

Counterpoint: SNES and PS2 never had online controversy like the One pre-release or the PT demo's permadeath. If anything, this proves they're the GOATs. No downpoints ever

Godslay

Banned
Yup so this!! And the variety of games were way larger than it is now. Also what I'd like then compare to now is the amount of friendship was being made.

Whether you were beating someone's ass at a fighting game, or making a run through X-Men, Simpsons, or TMNT there were always people to play with. It's a lot different than playing through the mic like you said.

bionic77

I don't mind the difficulty but this is more on the cheap side of things, imo. To be fair it's the only map in the game that has felt this way. I do agree with you on Roy and thiefs, that is a clear upgrade they made in 7.

Their libraries don't have any real diversity.

No AAA platformers, puzzle games, adventure games, rpgs, kart or weird sports games, etc.

If you are boring and love playing COD and RE4 clones only (plus the occasional GTA game) then yes the PS3 and PS4 are the greatest consoles of all time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
These kids today don't know shit.

They play the same dumbed down shooters 5 times a year and think that is gaming.

PS2 and SNES are still the only two consoles in the conversation for GOAT. The diversity of the PS2 has probably only been matched or at least rivaled by the DS.

That doesn't even include the PC side of the equation. C64 and Amiga early on, then the DOS glory days of the early to mid 90s, then your transition to proper Windows gaming in the late 90s.

Having that alongside NES/SNES/Genesis and then N64/PS1/DC as well as being able to go out to the arcades throughout that whole time. Glorious!

I don't mind the difficulty but this is more on the cheap side of things, imo. To be fair it's the only map in the game that has felt this way.

Same here. Had to restart nearly the entire game to get back to it, but imo it was worth it. The ending they give you is fine though (and I'd say final boss in the non true ending is actually better).

One chapter in the late game is real brutal to the point of being straight bs, especially if you want to go for the true ending where you have to beat it in a set number of turns.

Edit: Speaking of PS3 and JRPGs, Trails of Cold Steel just came out and its apparently real good (though its anime artstyle and slow progression can put people off). Just picked it up on Vita.

No AAA platformers, puzzle games, adventure games, rpgs, kart or weird sports games, etc.

If you are boring and love playing COD and RE4 clones only (plus the occasional GTA game) then yes the PS3 and PS4 are the greatest consoles of all time.
I love you to death bionic but when you say stuff like this it really shines a light on how little you actually pay attention to games these days.

I don't feel like getting into list wars but start with just a few games from this year: The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and Rocket League.

eznark

Banned
Thank God.

But to get back to that, you really think it's that egregious to put Ed Reed ahead of Charles Woodson when ranking DBs? It's no slight on Woodson, but I think Ed Reed was better.

Yeah, I do. And it's not really even a legitimate conversation. You can tell me Ed Reed was a better safety. I'll have that discussion. You cannot tell me Ed Reed was a better defensive back. You just can't. It's dumb.

Also, I wonder if there is an easier job in football than safety on the best defense in history?

bionic77

Ed Reed was a motherfucker at intercepting balls and running them back. Larry remember when Hines Ward knocked him out? Good times!

Woodson was obviously pretty damn good at takeaways himself. He also had the longer career and was able to adapt when his athleticism went away.

I wouldn't be mad if you picked either player. Because of his ability to adapt I would probably take woodson though.

I love you to death bionic but when you say stuff like this it really shines a light on how little you actually pay attention to games these days.

I don't feel like getting into list wars but start with just a few games from this year: The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and Rocket League.

2 of those games also on PC.

Hindl

Friend it sounds like you need a Wii U.

I still think we should make a nfl-age micro brewery and drink all kinds of sweet beer and make hundreds

I'd support this

bionic77

Friend it sounds like you need a Wii U.
:lol

I was just bitching about the PS4's lack of diversity. The Wii U is just a Nintendo box right?

I am tempted for Zelda but I really don't have time for games anymore. Growing up is a bitch!

Draxal

Honestly, it's a battle between the SNES and the PS2 for me, the SNES was such a huge upgrade over the NES, and same for the PS2 over the PSX.

Hindl

:lol

I was just bitching about the PS4's lack of diversity. The Wii U is just a Nintendo box right?

I am tempted for Zelda but I really don't have time for games anymore. Growing up is a bitch!

Haha in terms of diversity on the platform yes. But it's a fantastic secondary console, and offers all the games that PS4 and Xbox don't. Platformers, puzzle games, it just had a fantastic JRPG come out, kart racers, etc. It is a Nintendo box, but Nintendo covers a lot of what the rest of the industry doesn't. Don't sleep on the phenomenal Yoshi's Woolly World!

eznark

Banned
Ed Reed was a motherfucker at intercepting balls and running them back. Larry remember when Hines Ward knocked him out? Good times!

Woodson was obviously pretty damn good at takeaways himself. He also had the longer career and was able to adapt when his athleticism went away.

I wouldn't be mad if you picked either player. Because of his ability to adapt I would probably take woodson though.

Actually, I think even as a safety I prefer Woodson.

Ed Reed was a fulltime Free Safety in the traditional sense of the word. He didn't man cover, he didn't fill the box, he didn't tackle, he didn't blitz. He sat over the top of an amazing defense and picked off prayers because the QB had nowhere to go.

Woodson was a Polamalu type player who was also amazing in coverage. He blitzed, he chipped, pressed, filled the box, tackled, stripped the ball, harassed the QB and was everywhere.

And that doesn't even account for his first career as premier shutdown corner on some really bad defenses.

C'mon man.

e:nm why bother he hopeless

Haha in terms of diversity on the platform yes. But it's a fantastic secondary console, and offers all the games that PS4 and Xbox don't. Platformers, puzzle games, it just had a fantastic JRPG come out, kart racers, etc. It is a Nintendo box, but Nintendo covers a lot of what the rest of the industry doesn't. Don't sleep on the phenomenal Yoshi's Woolly World!

Agreed, everyone buy a Wii U

Totally agree.

The truth is bionic doesn't pay attention to games anymore because he doesn't have time, so he tells himself (and others) that games peaked back when he had time to play them. ;)

bionic77

Ed Reed was a fulltime Free Safety in the traditional sense of the word. He didn't man cover, he didn't fill the box, he didn't tackle, he didn't blitz. He sat over the top of an amazing defense and picked off prayers because the QB had nowhere to go.

Woodson was a Polamalu type player who was also amazing in coverage. He blitzed, he chipped, pressed, filled the box, tackled, stripped the ball, harassed the QB and was everywhere.

And that doesn't even account for his first career as premier shutdown corner on some really bad defenses.

C'mon man.
I definitely saw more of Reeds career because he played in the North, but man when he was in his prime it seemed like he was changing the outcomes of games once or twice a month.

I feel like Woodson had those games as well, but not as often during his prime (which admittedly was a lot longer and he is a different kind of player).

Remember that Reed was the best player on what was an elite defense for a long time.

I also picked Woodson I just said I could see how someone would pick Reed. Its fucking impossible to compare football players accurately.

MechDX

The Dreamcast was pretty tremendous for the 15 minutes it was alive.

It was pretty legendary though for introducing online and NBA 2k (I never got into PSO, the other legendary game it had).

Other than that it was just a kickass arcade machine at home.

Last , great gaming console. in HD before HD was all the rage.

Bread

Banned
You need income to fund #breadstream and #gregstream! You can't keep doing this!
breadstream is self sustaining thanks to my great fans!

real talk, forgot your major what field you going into and getting punched by jealous boyfriends is one a real field
accounting, minor in pissing off exbfs

Me too! Let's start that fine leather / juice shop in Arizona now :")
#dreams
mmm leather juice

bionic77

Totally agree.

The truth is bionic doesn't pay attention to games anymore because he doesn't have time, so he tells himself (and others) that games peaked back when he had time to play them. ;)
Name me a game on the PS4 that I could have played on the PS2 or Xbox?

Gameplay has not changed or evolved in a significant way in a long fucking time.

I know that even without finishing these games.

I am sure that there are still more good games today than you could finish unless you were someone who did nothing else with his life, but I stand by my comments.

squicken

Remember that Reed was the best player on what was an elite defense for a long time.

I also picked Woodson I just said I could see how someone would pick Reed. Its fucking impossible to compare football players accurately.

While I would take Woodson for his coverage skills, that is way off on Reed. His speed was unbelievable. There are so few safeties that can actually take the whole deep field as a single high safety. He could. That had tremendous benefit for the rest of the defense. Those guys were better b/c he was behind them

eznark

Banned
While I would take Woodson for his coverage skills, that is way off on Reed. His speed was unbelievable. There are so few safeties that can actually take the whole deep field as a single high safety. He could. That had tremendous benefit for the rest of the defense. Those guys were better b/c he was behind them

How is that different from what I said. He had one job and was amazing at it. Woodson had 10 jobs and was amazing at them all.

C'mon man.

The Raiders fans here don't seem to remember Woodson's early days that fondly. I found the article about him signing with GB, and it highlights that:

Packers reach agreement with Charles Woodson

Oakland made no attempt to re-sign Woodson.

In terms of name value, Woodson is clearly the Packers' most significant offseason addition. Whether his game still lives up to Woodson's name, however, is questionable, at least based on the last two seasons.

The former University of Michigan star and 1997 Heisman Trophy winner was designated by the Raiders as a franchise player each of the last two seasons. But Woodson suffered injuries in both of those seasons, finished each year on injured reserve, and appeared in just 19 games.

In fact, Woodson, sidelined by knee and hip injuries in 2004 and by a broken leg in 2005, has not played a full 16-game schedule since 2001. He suffered the broken leg in a game against Buffalo last Oct. 23, and made just six appearances, a career low.

The injuries were costly to the Raiders on the field but also off it. With the two consecutive franchise designations, Woodson earned a total of $19.32 million in 2004-2005. The return on that pricey investment: Just 103 tackles, two interceptions and 11 passes defensed.

For his career, Woodson has played in 106 games and registered 456 tackles, 17 interceptions, 66 passes defensed, 5½ sacks, 14 forced fumbles and five recoveries. In the last five seasons, however, Woodson has recorded more than one interception just one time, in 2003, when he had three. He has never posted more than five interceptions in a season and his career best came in his rookie campaign of 1998, when he was the fourth overall player chosen in the draft.

His supporters used to suggest, with some justification, that Woodson's interception numbers were never impressive because most opposing quarterbacks rarely tested him. Indeed, for the first half of his career, Woodson was one of the top cover defenders in the league. But there are skeptics now, particularly given his recent injuries, who feel he will never perform up to his prior Pro Bowl level.

Ed Reed was top quality from beginning to the (almost) end. He changed games, teams game planned for him, and if we're going to call the Ravens post 2000 teams some of the greatest Defenses ever, which I don't, it starts with Ed, even more so than Ray by the mid 2000s when Ed Reed was winning DPOYs and dominating.

Afternoon everyone. We all almost ready for Christmas?

Good Luck fellas!!

Also thank you CT for allowing me to participate. Would love to get invited back next year.

Now back to MLB and defend my NeoGaf Title!!

Thank you again Commissioner Chris for you work in setting the TFL up. I hope to be invited back next year.

And maybe next year, I can go shirtless like the cool kids apparently.

i did it guys :')

i graduated coolidge

Congrats Bread. You staying in school or going out in the real world?

eznark

Banned
The Raiders fans here don't seem to remember Woodson's early days that fondly. I found the article about him signing with GB, and it highlights that:

Packers reach agreement with Charles Woodson

Ed Reed was top quality from beginning to the (almost) end. He changed games, teams game planned for him, and if we're going to call the Ravens post 2000 teams some of the greatest Defenses ever, which I don't, it starts with Ed, even more so than Ray by the mid 2000s when Ed Reed was winning DPOYs and dominating.

I assume you are pointing to his low interception numbers? Which are explained right there in your article.

Top Bottom