• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 16 |OT| A Fraud Was Always a Legend

Name me a game on the PS4 that I could have played on the PS2 or Xbox?

Gameplay has not changed or evolved in a significant way in a long fucking time.

I know that even without finishing these games.

I am sure that there are still more good games today than you could finish unless you were someone who did nothing else with his life, but I stand by my comments.
Umm, okay.

Rocket League - novel concept

Bloodborne - advancement of a style of action RPG that originated on the PS3

Battlefield 4 - no 64 player shooters with all that stuff going on on PS2/Xbox

Axiom Verge - any good Super Metroid style games on PS2/Xbox?

The Witcher 3 - open world RPG that nails scope and scale unlike anything before it

Those are just from this year outside of BF4. I don't know why you stick to your guns so hard on this when you even admit you don't have time to see this one way or the other for yourself. There's nothing wrong with that, you can just admit it! To be honest there are far too many good games out there these days. You really have to pick and choose what you want to play even if you do have a decent amount of free time.

Also, innovation isn't the end all be all. You talk about how much you love Fire Emblem SEVEN all the time.

I assume you are pointing to his low interception numbers? Which are explained right there in your article.

I left that part of the article in for a reason, I don't selectively quote, but it says that it was for the "first half of his career" (which is humorous in itself, as he ended up playing another 16 years). But you could have said the same shit about Nnamdi Asamougha. Are there any advanced metrics that quantify the shutdowness of a shutdown corner that were around 17 years ago? I ask this seriously, because I don't know of one used then.

RBH

My N64 has been broken for the past couple of years, so I ordered another N64 from an Amazon third-party seller.

It arrived yesterday, so I plugged it in, and a tear came down my face when I was able to boot up WWF No Mercy. :')

My N64 has been broken for the past couple of years, so I ordered another N64 from an Amazon third-party seller.

It arrived yesterday, so I plugged it in, and a tear came down my face when I was able to boot up WWF No Mercy. :')

I have No Mercy in my N64 right now. I play handicap matches against my daughters and absolutely wreck shit.

eznark

Banned
I left that part of the article in for a reason, I don't selectively quote, but it says that it was for the "first half of his career" (which is humorous in itself, as he ended up playing another 16 years). But you could have said the same shit about Nnamdi Asamougha. Are there any advanced metrics that quantify the shutdowness of a shutdown corner that were around 17 years ago? I ask this seriously, because I don't know of one used then.

I guess I missed the part of Asamougha's career where he turned into a Hall of Fame safety.

Bowser

As for the bat, Rivera said that there is a “huge misunderstanding” about its presence on the field. Rivera said it’s a motivational tool for the team, albeit one that they won’t be using anymore.

“I’m going to eliminate it,” Rivera said. “I want to avoid [the headache]. It’s the No Fun League for a reason.”

Sounds to me like the league suggested to Rivera that the Panthers do away with it.

edit: wouldn't be the first time either. From 2008:

CHARLOTTE -- There's apparently no more love for the glove.

The Panthers latest totem has gone away, apparently out of sensitivity about the appearance of encouraging borderline hits.

Earlier this year, coaches were handing out a pair of boxing gloves for the player who recorded the biggest hit the week before.

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney acknowledged Thursday that after some discussion with the league, the team decided to end the practice.

"We stopped it," Hurney said.

Prior to the decision, the gloves were among the most prized possessions in the locker room. One of the black Everlast boxing gloves hung in the positional meeting room of that week's recipient. The other was displayed proudly in the locker of the guy who had flattened someone. It was only awarded after wins, and could go to offensive, defensive or special teams players. This year's recipients included linebacker Jon Beason (who won it last year), safety Chris Harris, linebacker Na'il Diggs and defensive end Julius Peppers.

http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article12242201.html#storylink=cpy

Umm, okay.

Rocket League - novel concept

Bloodborne - advancement of a style of action RPG that originated on the PS3

Battlefield 4 - no 64 player shooters with all that stuff going on on PS2/Xbox

Axiom Verge - any good Super Metroid style games on PS2/Xbox?

The Witcher 3 - open world RPG that nails scope and scale unlike anything before it

Those are just from this year outside of BF4. I don't know why you stick to your guns so hard on this when you even admit you don't have time to see this one way or the other for yourself. There's nothing wrong with that, you can just admit it! To be honest there are far too many good games out there these days. You really have to pick and choose what you want to play even if you do have a decent amount of free time.

Also, innovation isn't the end all be all. You talk about how much you love Fire Emblem SEVEN all the time.

The Witcher and Battlefield are the only ones on that list that aren't technically possible on PS2, mostly because of the scope.

Sounds to me like the league suggested to Rivera that the Panthers do away with it.

edit: wouldn't be the first time either. From 2008:

http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article12242201.html#storylink=cpy

#cultureofviolence #toxicmasculinity #russellistherealmvp

The Witcher and Battlefield are the only ones on that list that aren't technically possible on PS2, mostly because of the scope.
Did he ask to list games that weren't technically possible? The conversation is about whether or not SNES/PS2 is the pinnacle of gaming. Rocket League is a game and idea I listed that isn't on those platforms. It's not that complicated.

squicken

It's not the same as the Palmer injury last year, but the Cards are really going to miss Mathieu. I know the Packers aren't the same as they have been in the past, but I would put money on them to win straight up if I were a bettor. Cards really need that 2 seed and avoiding SEA in the division round

n8wtMCr.png

Did he ask to list games that weren't technically possible? The conversation is about whether or not SNES/PS2 is the pinnacle of gaming. Rocket League is a game and idea I listed that isn't on those platforms. It's not that complicated.

Well he did say game play hasn't changed or evolved in a long time, which is hyperbolic but whatever.

Rarely are developers who stray too far from the accepted mold rewarded with financial success. Look at how much shit has been lost by dude bros and nerds over the changes in something as basic as movement in fucking Halo, a least common denominator FPS.

Speaking of Rocket League, if you have PS4, add me (BaltimoreLarry), because I play that.

But not with Greg and Darkest, because they are some bitchasses.

Bowser

Seemed really weird to me for the Panthers to go in on OBJ's sexuality. Can't imagine that sat well with Cam.

Rivera basically said show him the proof. He clearly doesn't believe it:

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 2h2 hours ago
"A lot of it has been assumptions and innuendos. No one has released a statement." -Rivera

RR: If there's evidence, bring it to us. Please

We don't condone that. Until we hear something concrete, we are not going to react to it. -Rivera

I heard nothing. People around him (Marcus Ball) heard nothing that could be construed as homophobic. The video clips are benign -RR

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 2h2 hours ago
Ron Rivera says he wonders whether bat/slurs controversy is "someone's attempt at spin control."

I'm with Bionic on this. I don't have time for games much either, but I still don't feel like i'm missing out as most of the games people crow about these games are extensions of games i've played already.

Yes i'm an old and that's an olds opinion but for me gaming has peaked. I won't ever see anything that wows me like Starfox did in 91 or Soul Calibur in 99.

When I was a young whippersnapper there was always something new and unprecedented around the corner to look forward to in gaming. Now it's just a fresh take on an FPS or WRPG or boss rush game.

bionic77

Hey, I'm partaking in what I find to be a fun discussion. I love the older generations of consoles but unlike some I choose not to be blinded by nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses.
I think the best games from today stand up with the best games of the past.

But I also think that we don't have the diversity in gaming that we used to.

The main reason appears to be because the Japanese market is dead forever. Things also seem pretty stagnant to me but maybe I am just old and grumpy. I mean the PS4 and Xbone are kind of a disappointment even from the perspective of how powerful they are because they did not want to lose money on the initial consoles. Before it seemed like we got a huge tech leap with every console release. These consoles are just some last gen PC parts. The counter I guess would be the OS software and functionality has really improved significantly as have the controllers (at least for the PS4, I can't say a single bad thing about that controller other then I guess the battery).

Hindl

I'm with Bionic on this. I don't have time for games much either, but I still don't feel like i'm missing out as most of the games people crow about these games are extensions of games i've played already.

Yes i'm an old and that's an olds opinion but for me gaming has peaked. I won't ever see anything that wows me like Starfox did in 91 or Soul Calibur in 99.

When I was a young whippersnapper there was always something new and unprecedented around the corner to look forward to in gaming. Now it's just a fresh take on an FPS or WRPG or boss rush game.

Hopefully VR takes off. Being honest, even if it does it'll probably take several years before it becomes anything more than niche. But that has the potential to be new and groundbreaking

The main reason appears to be because the Japanese market is dead forever. Things also seem pretty stagnant to me but maybe I am just old and grumpy. I mean the PS4 and Xbone are kind of a disappointment even from the perspective of how powerful they are because they did not want to lose money on the initial consoles. Before it seemed like we got a huge tech leap with every console release. These consoles are just some last gen PC parts. The counter I guess would be the OS software and functionality has really improved significantly as have the controllers (at least for the PS4, I can't say a single bad thing about that controller other then I guess the battery).

Wait till next year for the Japanese games man. All the big publishers like Square, Capcom, Namco, KT, Atlus, Sega, etc. are putting something big out.

You're not totally wrong. Any form of entertainment will become inherently less innovative as time marches on, and with video games you have the games themselves plus the added effect of the tech reaching diminishing returns. If you are jaded to the point of needing entirely new genres in a well-established medium like video games then yeah, The Witcher 3 being the best WRPG ever might not be enough for you. Sucks for you, is all I can say, but then again I waste countless hours playing video games so maybe I'm the loser here!

I think the best games of today are better than the best games of the past, but I can understand disagreeing there.

Companies like Capcom and Konami fading away is without a doubt the most depressing part of the modern gaming landscape to me. I don't disagree with you there at all. That said, there are other companies picking up some of the slack like Atlus and FROM. I do feel like the Japanese gaming industry as a whole peaked prior to the death of those great companies but at the same time the cream of the crop (like Soulsborne games, Xenoblade, and Persona) are still as good or better than my old favorites.

What I've always loved most about games is the systems and mechanics in play. I love digging into a new RPG, learning how things work, and applying that knowledge to find success. Those ideas and concepts are still being tweaked and improved upon today, and when you combine them with the power of modern consoles you get some impressive results. Innovation and completely fresh ideas are nice but if the next Mario Kart is better than the last one then I'll still enjoy the hell out of it.

bionic77

You're not totally wrong. Any form of entertainment will become inherently less innovative as time marches on, and with video games you have the games themselves plus the added effect of the tech reaching diminishing returns.
The counter to that would be Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

It is the 4th Star Wars movie from a series that ended 30+ years ago. As old as I am I took Friday off and was up until 3am in October reserving my seat in a 70mm Imax theater where I saw the movie with a handful of guys I grew up with who also loved Star Wars. I saw people of all ages in the theater for a movie so in demand it sold out more than a month before its showing.

If shit is good people will play it, watch it, or eat it.

The console gaming market has contracted to hardcore males. Its becoming niche. We can debate the reasons but not the facts.

I think VR is what will move the meter again for the casuals but who the fuck knows.

Top Bottom