• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL being played in the UK

Hookshot

Gold Member
Today the New York Jets play the Minnesota Vikings, there are two more games scheduled for October and it's something that has been happening for several years now but I want to know what Americans think about it?

Is it good that more people are following a fairly niche sport in worldwide terms? Does it annoy you having to watch them earlier in the day,? Do you not care? Let me know.

Last edited:
My cousin is an NFL fan and he was excited about the spread of the sport. They did some games in mexico a few years back, idk about what he thought of the time slots but he was generally hyped for the sport trying to get an outreach in an attempt to lure more nations into making their own leagues.

Last edited:

Nydius

I wish they’d stop. Get rid of the Germany game too. It’s a logistical nightmare, it’s not player friendly due to the scheduling, and they are robbing fans at home of the opportunity to watch their teams chasing a tiny slice of international fans. I remember when the NFL tried to drum up European support with their NFL Europe spin-off league. It didn’t go well.

There are only 17 games per season, none of them should be outside of their respective home stadiums. No Brazil, no UK, no Germany, no Mexico.

My opinion on this isn’t limited to the NFL. Major League Baseball kicking off their season in Korea (edit: then playing a series in London) this year was embarrassing.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
Didn't realize there were so many outside of the USA. Do they refund you a game or two from your season ticket if they get picked to play abroad?

Nydius

Do they refund you a game or two from your season ticket if they get picked to play abroad?

I honestly don’t know. I’ve never been rich enough to have season tickets to any sports club. 🤣 I would imagine though that there’s some small print in the season ticket package that says games moved out of the home market by the league office is beyond their control.

I just think it’s silly. We don’t see other major leagues from other countries doing stuff like this. I can only imagine the uproar if Premier League did something like move the Feb 2025 match between Tottenham/Man Utd to, say, Los Angeles for marketing reasons. Both Spurs fans and United fans would riot.

Edit: I’d like to add this is not meant to disrespect European fans. I’m sure there’s a fair bit of Europeans that like American Handegg the NFL. I just don’t like that it takes limited opportunities away from home fans and puts strain on the actual players having to manage an increasingly international schedule.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I honestly don’t know. I’ve never been rich enough to have season tickets to any sports club. 🤣 I would imagine though that there’s some small print in the season ticket package that says games moved out of the home market by the league office is beyond their control.

I just think it’s silly. We don’t see other major leagues from other countries doing stuff like this. I can only imagine the uproar if Premier League did something like move the Feb 2025 match between Tottenham/Man Utd to, say, Los Angeles for marketing reasons. Both Spurs fans and United fans would riot.

Edit: I’d like to add this is not meant to disrespect European fans. I’m sure there’s a fair bit of Europeans that like American Handegg the NFL. I just don’t like that it takes limited opportunities away from home fans and puts strain on the actual players having to manage an increasingly international schedule.

Englishman here. I agree with you 100%. It's unfair to the home fans that miss out on a game.

You mentioned that if the Premier League did this then the fans would riot. You're correct. Look at the fan outrage that killed the European Super League idea a few years ago. My question is, why don't US NFL fans do the same?

Nydius

My question is, why don't US NFL fans do the same?
Sadly, US leagues really don’t care. It’s all about chasing money. Ask San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders, and Oakland Athletics fans how much their voices were heard after all three fanbases boycotted or ran petition drives to keep their teams.

It’s also how we ended up with California in the Atlantic Coast Conference despite fans complaining, kicking and screaming about college division realignment.

Tams

Englishman here. I agree with you 100%. It's unfair to the home fans that miss out on a game.

You mentioned that if the Premier League did this then the fans would riot. You're correct. Look at the fan outrage that killed the European Super League idea a few years ago. My question is, why don't US NFL fans do the same?

Well, I wouldn't put it past some of our fans causing serious physical harm.

The Brazil game was kinda cool, I hope they keep doing that

In the US we have this invention called the television which lets us follow our favorite teams no matter where we or they are

I'm not trying to be snarky here, Americans love watching our teams on TV

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’s now a 17 game season.

I’m gonna take a wild guess and say that:

Teams alternate any given year having 9 or 8 home games. This means that those playing internationally don’t really have less home games, they still get the same amount in alternating years.

I’ll take those big brain emoji reacs now plz 🧠

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The Brazil game was kinda cool, I hope they keep doing that

In the US we have this invention called the television which lets us follow our favorite teams no matter where we or they are

I'm not trying to be snarky here, Americans love watching our teams on TV

The Brits love watching the beautiful game on TV, but watching your local team live is the UK is the equivalent of going to Church for Sunday mass.

It's an almost religious experience dripping with tradition, history, rituals and of course our psychological warfare chanting.

I guess this isn't an issue with American sports as their not clubs with local community traditions and history, but instead soulless franchises. Makes sense why most NFL fans don't care where the game is played.

Smiggs

The Brits love watching the beautiful game on TV, but watching your local team live is the UK is the equivalent of going to Church for Sunday mass.

It's an almost religious experience dripping with tradition, history, rituals and of course our psychological warfare chanting.

I guess this isn't an issue with American sports as their not clubs with local community traditions and history, but instead soulless franchises. Makes sense why most NFL fans don't care where the game is played.
We're so busy enjoying the superior version of football that we don't really care where it's played. Plus, watching the game on TV gives you the best view of the game.

In all honesty, the games cost so much to attend, and are often pretty far from a lot of fans. The US is huge, and I'd wager a big percentage of fans live 4+ hours from the closest team.

Top Bottom