• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Farooq

Banned

Surprising he would have Ealy ranked that low, considering he had Ealy mocked to the Cowboys at 16. He is good friends with Will McClay though, so maybe he has some inside information.

Edit: Have read about Ealy moving inside on some situations, would be interesting to experiment with him at the 3. In any case, it looks like if Barr and Donald are gone the Cowboys are trading back.

squicken

So I started watching Hannibal, it's pretty good. Shocked its on NBC to be honest, they've churned out so much shit the last half decade it's hard to believe.

Awesome show. I think being on NBC has been a benefit since they are in desperate need of good shows. Ratings are pretty poor, but the producers have hinted that they would be able to continue the show on another outlet (Netflix?, cable) if cancelled

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

God damnit. I really hope Mayhew works some magic. If the Bills have there eye on Watkins then Mike Evans is probably a backup plan.

Latest Kiper/McShay mock had both of them having Mike Evans at #7 to the Bucs. If we don't trade up to grab Watkins, Evans will be gone most likely to either Tampa or Buffalo.

Those three 4th round picks we have are going to add a lot of depth on top of our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks but getting a DB at #10 really doesn't sound like a good plan to me. We need an impact player, preferably on offense.

Get it done Mayhew. I don't care if it costs us this years 1st and 2nd+ a 1st next year we can add depth with our 3rd and three 4th round picks.

To Mayhews credit he did get a steal in Titus Young who was a hell of a receiver in the 2nd round but as we all know he unfortunately lost his mind. I want to see Young eventually return to the NFL cause he was an extremely talented player.

Striker

Benjamin is 24. Odds are long when you draft older prospects. I loved Amaro during the year, but post-season has been hard on him. Guess he's considered a little soft. I'm still a fan, but not in top 50 picks
Zach Martin is going to be 24 in November.

Those things have never really bothered me for most positions. I've warmed up to Martin if certain players weren't around at 12 for NYG, but I just think they can get an interior player in the 2nd or 3rd rds instead. I would rather get an impact player like Donald or Evans - if available. I have similar thoughts on Ebron as Future. Not really worried about his willingness to block, but his concentration with his drops. McAdoo would work well with him in, I'd guess, moving him around on the field and in motion. Create mismatches. Definitely need more talent at receiver because it's scarce after Cruz. Need Randle and JJ to step up.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Dear Kas

Pls be the Lions GM. The Raiders will gladly swindle you for Mike Evans.

I don't think we are trading up for Evans and I wouldn't do it either. I hope there is a run on all these QBs and OTs so we can get either Evans or Watkins.

If this Lions front office follow the Kas blueprint with the current young talent we have, we'll be a Super Bowl contender.

The Kas Blueprint goes like this:

1.) Get one more stud WR receiver opposite of Megatron and Golden Tate as a #3 option
2.) Drop 40 points a game, Greatest Show on Turf 2.0 etc. etc.
3.) ???
4.) Super Bowl

Fuck drafting a DB with our #10 who will most likely need a few years to develop. We need an offensive impact player and we need him 8 days from now. Mind you if I didn't have this much faith in Stafford the blueprint would be much different. But I know we have a stud franchise QB so get him all the help he can get while he's young.

MRSA

Banned
Dear Kas,

We will discuss swindling the Lions and possibly getting Fatford a dietist over a gourmet bottle of opiates and local IPA.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Dear Kas,

We will discuss swindling the Lions and possibly getting Fatford a dietist over a gourmet bottle of opiates and local IPA.

He's not fat goddamnit. His body is well built with a strong and large jaw which casts a shadow which makes him seem heavier than he is.

untitled4.png

40 points a game in the regular season... then lose to defense in the playoffs. I think I've seen this story dozens of time watching football for the last two decades.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I don't think we are trading up for Evans and I wouldn't do it either. I hope there is a run on all these QBs and OTs so we can get either Evans or Watkins.

If this Lions front office follow the Kas blueprint with the current young talent we have, we'll be a Super Bowl contender.

The Kas Blueprint goes like this:

1.) Get one more stud WR receiver opposite of Megatron and Golden Tate as a #3 option
2.) Drop 40 points a game, Greatest Show on Turf 2.0 etc. etc.
3.) ???
4.) Super Bowl

Fuck drafting a DB with our #10 who will most likely need a few years to develop. We need an offensive impact player and we need him 8 days from now. Mind you if I didn't have this much faith in Stafford the blueprint would be much different. But I know we have a stud franchise QB so get him all the help he can get while he's young.

Rookie WRs rarely make an impact.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Rookie WRs rarely make an impact.

Since when? Rookie WRs make an impact immediately more than just about any other position.

Marques Colston to the Saints as a 7th round pick made an immediate impact. Titus Young made an immediate impact, as did Megatron and even Roy Williams. Julio Jones made an immediate impact. Randy Moss made an immediate impact. Alshon Jeffrey made an immediate impact so did Brandon Marshall out of college. Demarius Thomas made an immediate impact. Dez Bryant made an immediate impact

Out of all the positions in the NFL rookie WRs are one of the few positions IMO that make an immediate impact on day one if they have talent.

Of course a lot of it depends on the QB they have but even Justin Blackmon put up decent stats with Blaine Gabbert as his QB and a drinking problem on top of that.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Since when? Rookie WRs make an impact immediately more than just about any other position.

Marques Colston to the Saints as a 7th round pick made an immediate impact. Titus Young made an immediate impact, as did Megatron and even Roy Williams. Julio Jones made an immediate impact. Randy Moss made an immediate impact. Alshon Jeffrey made an immediate impact so did Brandon Marshall out of college. Demarius Thomas made an immediate impact. Dez Bryant made an immediate impact

Out of all the positions in the NFL rookie WRs are one of the few positions IMO that make an immediate impact on day one if they have talent.

Of course a lot of it depends on the QB they have but even Justin Blackmon put up decent stats with Blaine Gabbert as his QB and a drinking problem on top of that.

It depends on what you consider an impact, of course. Jeffery had 24 receptions his rookie year. Austin, Patterson and Hopkins went in the first round last year. Do you feel like they made massive impacts? Certainly nothing better than you could've gotten from a street free agent.

Hammer24

Banned
Posted yet?

Bucs open to trading down from No. 7 overall pick
With only six selections in what scouts believe is one of the deepest talent pools in NFL draft history, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are already working at a disadvantage as the 2014 draft approaches.
Bucs general manager Jason Licht is willing to do what’s necessary to correct that situation, even it means abandoning the seventh overall pick.
“That is something that we would definitely look into,’’ Licht said Tuesday. “And we’ve already reached out to teams. If our player isn’t there we’d really be open to conversations about moving back and picking up picks.’’

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
God damnit. I really hope Mayhew works some magic. If the Bills have there eye on Watkins then Mike Evans is probably a backup plan.

Latest Kiper/McShay mock had both of them having Mike Evans at #7 to the Bucs. If we don't trade up to grab Watkins, Evans will be gone most likely to either Tampa or Buffalo.

Those three 4th round picks we have are going to add a lot of depth on top of our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks but getting a DB at #10 really doesn't sound like a good plan to me. We need an impact player, preferably on offense.

Get it done Mayhew. I don't care if it costs us this years 1st and 2nd+ a 1st next year we can add depth with our 3rd and three 4th round picks.

To Mayhews credit he did get a steal in Titus Young who was a hell of a receiver in the 2nd round but as we all know he unfortunately lost his mind. I want to see Young eventually return to the NFL cause he was an extremely talented player.

SMH

No. Just...no. Remember this: Watkins wouldn't even be the #1 receiver on the team. Trading 2 1sts and a 2nd for a #2 receiver? That trade would be a colossal waste and set the team back ANOTHER 2 years. It wouldn't surprise me to see them dangle Suh in a trade to try and move up, though.

Sit pat at 10 and take BPA. Gilbert and/or Barr will likely be available and could fit in quite well. Barr especially intrigues me as a DE. Raw and incredibly skilled--just like Ansah, who had a good year.

Fox318

We need to fake a fundraiser to get Freeman, Stafford, JaMarcus, and Jared Lorenzen in the same room.

The Neogaf human fund dinner.

You really come off as the least knowledgeable football fan on these boards. WR is probably the single hardest position for a rookie to do well. I believe only one rookie WR has ever had more then 1300 yards his first year, only a handful have had 10+ TDs their first year. You generally wont see production for a WR until his 2nd year, and then you have to factor in the insanely high bust rate for 1st round WRs. If the Lions really mortgaged their future to trade up for a WR it would be a huge mistake.

squicken

HoHoyer HoHyperbole

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=31541

Proving it all over:

Just put yourself in Hoyer’s shoes for one minute.

Undrafted, forgotten as a distant backup behind one of the greatest NFL quarterbacks of all time, released, banged around three teams in one year before landing with your hometown team. You finally get your chance and you seize it by the throat and win two games in a row, and then you tear an ACL. Is that Cleveland or what?

And now your team, the team you rooted for as a kid and then taught to win in your very brief time at the helm, is pondering to replace you with a new hotshot quarterback in the draft. Perhaps the most exciting player in the history of college football.

“It doesn’t bother me,” Hoyer maintained. “People are always going to speculate. I know how I feel about myself. I know how my teammates feel. I’m trying to go out and prove it to these new coaches. All I can ask for is a chance and I think I’ll get that.

“Being from this city and now having the opportunity to play for this team, I don’t think there’s anyone in the world that wants the Browns to win more than me. That’s what I work towards every day.”

For the Browns’ plan to work, Hoyer has to be on the field, winning, and the hotshot new quarterback has to be watching and taking notes and preparing every day.

Because the biggest question about Hoyer is not if he can win. The biggest question is if the gods of football will give him a full season to remove all doubt.

Two wins in a row, no doubt stud

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
You really come off as the least knowledgeable football fan on these boards. WR is probably the single hardest position for a rookie to do well. I believe only one rookie WR has ever had more then 1300 yards his first year, only a handful have had 10+ TDs their first year. You generally wont see production for a WR until his 2nd year, and then you have to factor in the insanely high bust rate for 1st round WRs. If the Lions really mortgaged their future to trade up for a WR it would be a huge mistake.

Great way to refute all those players I listed. So if a rookie WR doesn't have 1,300 yards and 10 TDs in his rookie season he's not producing? I'm on my phone right now but I can find a ton of other rookie receivers who contributed right away. Last year for instance-

Keenan Allen, 3rd round pick, San Diego Chargers

71 Receptions, 1,046 Yards, 14.6 YPC, 8 TDs

The Chargers wouldn't have made the playoffs if it were not for Allen.

Again, rookie WRs are more likely to contribute on day one than DBs, offensive lineman, defensive lineman and linebackers.

Again, rookie WRs are more likely to contribute on day one than DBs, offensive lineman, defensive lineman and linebackers.

Nah, the transition from college to NFL is harder for receivers than it is for the other positions you listed.

Shoutout to defensive tackles and corners who don't exactly have it easy

Great way to refute all those players I listed. So if a rookie WR doesn't have 1,300 yards and 10 TDs in his rookie season he's not producing? I'm on my phone right now but I can find a ton of other rookie receivers who contributed right away. Last year for instance-

Keenan Allen, 3rd round pick, San Diego Chargers

71 Receptions, 1,046 Yards, 14.6 YPC, 8 TDs

The Chargers wouldn't have made the playoffs if it were not for Allen.

Yes Allen was good but he is most definitely the exception. Here are all the WR drafted in the 1st 3 rounds last year, how many had an impact on their teams?

Tavon Austin
Cordarralle Patterson
Deandre Hopkins
Kennan Allen
Terrance Willaims
Robert Woods
Justin Hunter
Markus Wheaton
Stedman Bailey
Aaron Dobson
Marquise Goodwin

Austin, Patterson, and Hopkins were all in the 1st round and none of them did anything last year. Drafting WRs in the 1st round in a slow game, they almost never pay off the 1st year.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
True confession: I don't like wings. Not a huge fan of chicken on the bone. I'm like the anti-cajun when it comes to eating some things.

Boneless wings? Yes please.

Greg

True confession: I don't like wings. Not a huge fan of chicken on the bone. I'm like the anti-cajun when it comes to eating some things.

Boneless wings? Yes please.
if a place has good sauces, I have to try regular and boneless to find my favorite

Top Bottom