• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Even I've had Krispy Kreme and I'm Canadian.

It was actually a huge thing when they came to Canada, they opened up one store about 10 minutes from my house. The drive thru used to go onto the street it was so popular.

kJOJmBq.gif

Also I really love OBJ's game. So shifty

I give no fucks about Ebron, barely watched him play, but he gained over 8.5 yards after catch, dude is all about the YAC.
I would have said it if you hadn't. I've watched a boat load of game tape on him and I'm a fan. Lack of YAC and Ebron should be nowhere in the same sentence.

The lack of maturity/diva shit and what not doesn't concern me with the coaching staff and locker room the Giants have in place. He can be taught to block as well. He's shown willingness to do it. The drops are the only thing that gives me pause...

squicken

Rams tried to sign about 3 different DTs during FA, and brought in a bunch of DTs for visits. If Donald is there at 13 ... don't assume fight is with Dallas an CHI. Could be Rams and Giants

Rams tried to sign about 3 different DTs during FA, and brought in a bunch of DTs for visits. If Donald is there at 13 ... don't assume fight is with Dallas an CHI. Could be Rams and Giants

They primary knock I've seen against Donald is evaluators don't feel he can carry much more weight on his frame. Considering his size they don't feel he can be an every down lineman. I get it, I suppose but FUUUU his tape. He has an incredible get off and when he goes, his motor doesn't stop. He's relentless.

I chose him in the mock draft for a reason. If Mike Evans and Eric Ebron are gone at 12, I think the Giants are going to walk away with the best DT in the draft. There's a good possibility they'd take him over Ebron, IMO if they don't feel he's going to fit what they want to do at TE. If Evans is there though? That's the Giants pick without a doubt. I'd put money on it.

LJ11

Yeah, I can see that. Fisher always rotated heavily up front when he was with the Titans. You can't have enough depth at DT if you ask me, it's an important position, and with teams going no huddle as much as they are, you better be deep at the position.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I would have said it if you hadn't. I've watched a boat load of game tape on him and I'm a fan. Lack of YAC and Ebron should be nowhere in the same sentence.

The lack of maturity/diva shit and what not doesn't concern me with the coaching staff and locker room the Giants have in place. He can be taught to block as well. He's shown willingness to do it. The drops are the only thing that gives me pause...

If there's one thing I know the Steelers can not coach, it's catching a football. :(

They also don't do well at teaching guys to run with the ball high and tight, so maybe Coughlin has a chance.

Syrinx

When I lived in Connecticut, a Krispy Kreme opened up on the Post Road in Milford in like 2003 or so, and it was some big event when they opened, cars were lined up on the streets, etc. It's been closed for about four or five years now I think. Even with a bad economy it's still kinda amazing how it started with so much hype and then ended up not even getting enough to run. Course there are like 12 Dunkin' Donuts on that road. Loved it myself early on (I was like 12) but fell out of love with it rather quickly.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Anthony Barr highlights.

Pros -

Great athlete
Not just fast and strong, but possesses great balance and lateral agility
Recruited and played initially as a rb at UCLA, I've seen him use a jump cut to beat tackles, as well as going under, around and through them
Good collegiate production
NFL bloodline

Cons -

Can add some bulk to his frame
Only played olb for two years - raw in all areas

Syrinx

Was listening to some Buffalo radio, Greg Gabriel is really high on AJ McCarron...or just really high.

From what you've heard, are the people who are high on McCarron high on him because they like his tools and pocket presence, or do they just get infatuated with the success he had at Alabama? I highly suspect it's the latter, but I've never payed all that much attention to his draft process. But I do know that anyone who goes "Just look at his collegiate record" should not be taken seriously.

Only game I've really watched him was the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma and I wasn't really impressed.

squicken

They primary knock I've seen against Donald is it.

Rams have Brockers and Langford for 1st and 2nd down. Could almost deploy Donald as a pass rusher his first year. I think they like that better than dropping Chris Long inside on pass rush downs

Was listening to some Buffalo radio, Greg Gabriel is really high on AJ McCarron...or just really high.

Saw something today where he thinks he is going as early as 16. Crazy. I'll never get these scouts falling for middling skilled snap takers are powerhouse schools and thinking they are "winners"

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/29/texans-may-still-be-debating-clowney-vs-manziel/

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle recently reiterated an opinion he expressed last week on PFT Live, that the Texans are trying to choose between defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and quarterback Johnny Manziel.

McClain also believes that the Texans could trade down a few spots with a team that wants Clowney, and then take Manziel. If Manziel is gone, McClain believes the options would be linebacker Khalil Mack and quarterback Blake Bortles.

Drop many names, chances are greater you can be right. McClain is such a tool.

Caraun Reid's another DT I like. Violent hands, good size and length and one of the best tacklers out there. Would love to get him in 3rd, 4th would be a steal.

MechDX

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 4m
My Top 5 prospects in this draft class: 1) DE/OLB - Clowney 2) WR - Watkins 3) CB - Justin Gilbert 4) 43 OLB- Khalil Mack 5) DT - Donald

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 3m
When evaluating the QBs in this class, each one leaves you with huge ??s. When looking at those 5 prospects, I have none. Even the myths!

Boy Braddock really does go against the norm.

squicken

On the fantasy guru podcast, out of nowhere and with no real follow up, Greg Cosell said that STL was taking JFF. He was dead serious. The host inexplicably didn't follow up.

This rumor has a lot of wheels. Dunno if it is STL pulling a good smokescreen to get people to trade up, but it is an oft repeated draft rumor

MechDX

On the fantasy guru podcast, out of nowhere and with no real follow up, Greg Cosell said that STL was taking JFF. He was dead serious. The host inexplicably didn't follow up.

This rumor has a lot of wheels. Dunno if it is STL pulling a good smokescreen to get people to trade up, but it is an oft repeated draft rumor

There is so much damn rumor, speculation, shit being pulled out of ass's right now I just want to freeze myself till next Thursday.

And fuck the Texans front office for keeping such a tight ass lid on everything and not letting anything leak.

To amuse ourselves we should all follow Brennan Williams on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GREATBLACKOTAKU

The Great Black Otaku and Texans OT who was on IR his entire rookie season.

Syrinx

There is so much damn rumor, speculation, shit being pulled out of ass's right now I just want to freeze myself till next Thursday.

And fuck the Texans front office for keeping such a tight ass lid on everything and not letting anything leak.

To amuse ourselves we should all follow Brennan Williams on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GREATBLACKOTAKU

The Great Black Otaku and Texans OT who was on IR his entire rookie season.

What the fuck happened to Twitter?

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler 3m

RT @TulsaBates who you thinking will be first QB off board and where? >>> Manziel at 4 to CLE

I can believe that one.

Pretty sure if they take a QB and Raiders can't trade down, they will take their guy. Probably Carr if rumors are to be believed.

Guys I feel like a fucking 90 year old confessing this but I honestly have no fucking idea what Reddit is. Am I the only one?

It's like a mini forum. Instead of huge avatar, and signatures.... you get small "flares." Then you also get to upvote or downvote someone's post.

Enough downvote and the comment becomes hidden, and enough upvote and it moves tot he top of the comment section.

Basically if this thread were to have that option we would never see any of Gata's post :p

It's shit other than r/gonewild.

If you type reddit into a mobile browser that's always the first recommended search option that shows up. LOL

Bryan Broaddus' big board.

Code:
1 	Jadeveon Clowney 	South Carolina DE 	Explosive, disruptive player off the edge
2 	Greg Robinson 	Auburn OT 	Powerful athlete, gets movement right away
3 	Sammy Watkins 	Clemson WR 	Larry Fitzgerald with speed.
4 	Mike Evans 	Texas A&M WR 	Will give corners problems with his reach 
5 	Jake Matthews 	Texas A&M OT 	Smooth in the way he moves. Rarely off balance
6 	Anthony Barr 	UCLA LB 	Perfect 3-4 OLB but could be an End, Jason Taylor?
7 	Khalil Mack 	Buffalo LB 	He or Barr, have feeling that both will make impact
8 	Eric Ebron 	North Carolina TE 	Mismatch nightmare for defenses to have to cover.
9 	Aaron Donald 	Pittsburgh DT 	Super productive, disruptive when on the move. 
10 	Taylor Lewan 	Michigan OT 	Tough, closed gap on other Tackles in workouts.
11 	Martin, Zack 	Notre Dame OT 	Tons of starts, position flex along the line. 
12 	CJ Mosely 	Alabama LB 	Physical take on and shed, is always in the pile.
13 	Odell Beckham 	LSU WR 	Can line up anywhere and make plays. 
14 	Calvin Pryor 	Louisville S 	Plays with range and toughness. Has a nose for ball
15 	Timmy Jernigan 	Florida State DT 	Ideal 1 technique in 4-3 , hold point but can push 
16 	Blake Bortles 	Central Florida QB 	Ideal size and arm strength. Working hard on feet
17 	Ryan Shazier 	Ohio State LB 	Impressive in the way he chase the ball, can motor.
18 	Johnny Manziel 	Texas A&M QB 	Can really spin it on the move. Gym rat kind of player
19 	Kyle Fuller 	Virginia Tech CB 	Can play either off or man coverage well, slot too.
20 	Justin Gilbert 	Oklahoma State CB 	Best press man corner in the draft, love way he moves
21 	Marquise Lee 	USC WR 	Knows how to make things happen with ball in hands.
22 	Jason Verrett 	TCU CB 	Short but tough, can cover the slot, tackles well, always around ball
23 	Brandin Cooks 	Oregon State WR 	Better receiver than Tavon Austin but same size
24 	Darqueze Dennard 	Michigan State CB 	Press man all day, gives you something on the blitz
25 	Derek Carr 	Fresno State QB 	Feel he is the most ready to line up and play now.
26 	Scott Crichton 	Oregon State DE 	Pro style body for position, strong at point, can rush .
27 	Xavier Su'-a-Filo 	UCLA OG 	Played Tackle some but needs to be Guard, toughness
28 	Jimmie Ward 	Northern Illinois S 	Converted corner that can carry men all over the field
29 	Demarcus Lawrence 	Boise State DE 	These Boise kids have done well in NFL. He will too
30 	Dominique Easley 	Florida DT 	Very disruptive player, is always going up the field.
31 	Dee Ford 	Auburn DE 	Most likely a 3-4 OLB with some big time rush skills
32 	Ra'Shede Hageman 	Minnesota DT 	When this cat is on, he can be a pain in the rear to block
33 	Cody Latimer 	Indiana WR 	Can break a defense down with his ability. Violent player
34 	Ha-Ha Clinton Dix 	Alabama S 	Showed range in A&M game but would like to see more
35 	Kony Ealy 	Missouri DE 	Might be a better 3 technique than a defensive end. 
36 	Louis Nix 	Notre Dame NT 	Best nose man in the draft. 
37 	Jace Amaro 	Texas Tech TE 	Lines up all over the place, solid hands, gets down the field
38 	Jarvis Landry 	LSU WR 	Is a thinner Hinds Ward, does everything you want, plus hands
39 	Austin Seferian Jenkins 	Washington TE 	Massive size, moves well, catches everything, some inline work
40 	Kareem Martin 	North Carolina DE 	Like Crichton, has a pro body, can leverage the run, quicks for pass
41 	Lamarcus Joyner 	Florida State CB / S 	Short but tough, can cover the slot, tackles well, always around ball
42 	Gabe Jackson 	Mississippi State OG 	Surprising athletic ability for his size, very powerful, maybe ROT?
43 	Will Clarke 	West Virginia DE 	Nice size and weight, high motor and effort player, can go inside
44 	Paul Richardson 	Colorado WR 	Quarterback did him no favors, slight build but willing to take route inisde
45 	Jimmy Garappolo 	Eastern Illinois QB 	Like his accuracy and smarts, game does not look too big for him on tape.
46 	Bradley Roby 	Ohio State CB 	Press well in the press, is more than a willing tackler to get job done.
47 	Jeremy Hill 	LSU RB 	Is a big, physical back that can come downhill and hurt you, catches well.
48 	Brandon Thomas 	Clemson OG 	Where he will be selected hurt by pre draft knee injury, on tape, solid guy
49 	Will Sutton 	Arizona State DT 	Don’t sleep on this guy, weight appears under control, ability is there too.
50 	JaWaun James 	Tennessee OT 	If you havent see this kid play, make sure you go and study him. Ability.

Virtually every board I've seen has Garappolo ahead of Teddy. Fucking crazy town or the NFL doesn't think pocket presence is a big deal to be a QB.

LJ11

From what you've heard, are the people who are high on McCarron high on him because they like his tools and pocket presence, or do they just get infatuated with the success he had at Alabama? I highly suspect it's the latter, but I've never payed all that much attention to his draft process. But I do know that anyone who goes "Just look at his collegiate record" should not be taken seriously.

Only game I've really watched him was the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma and I wasn't really impressed.

Gabriel likes him as a player, thinks he can be really good. He's paid to give his evaluations, he was paid by the Eagles to do evals on last years QB crop, so it's all about McCarrons ability with him.

Much like squicken, I don't personally like him all that much, but I could see him as an Alex Smith type. Not saying much, and its certainly not someone I would take with the 16th pick. Honestly though, McCarron sucks. If that's who you're starting at QB you're in for a world of hurt, can't win a game for you but if you have a great OL that give him 4 seconds to throw the ball then he may do enough to keep you in the game.

So I started watching Hannibal, it's pretty good. Shocked its on NBC to be honest, they've churned out so much shit the last half decade it's hard to believe.

Top Bottom