• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horrible, horrible feeling Detroit takes Ansah tonight.

That may end my 20-year no vomiting streak.

I remember a post from Kastrioti absolutely denying that the Lions would even consider Ansah. So regardless of what all the mock draft-nicks are saying, you're safe.

:kas

Draxal

I think this is going to be the most entertaining and least satisfying in years. It'll be entertaining because so many teams seem to be looking to move down yet no one wants to move up, which means teams will be stuck taking BPA which hopefully means some crazy unpredictable picks.

It'll be unsatisfying because there just aren't a lot of immediate impact guys for us to get excited about. Chiefs take Joeckel?! Congrats, best case scenario you get Joe Thomas...and remain as irrelevant as the Browns did. If the Bills pass on a QB at 8 then I I don't think there is really any team in the first roung with a legitimate chance to get significantly better tonight. Marginally better? Of course. Predictably, significantly better? Nah.

If this were baseball I'd say the first round is mostly expensive "org" guys who will hopefully develop but I don't think anyone in the first would be a 60 prospect. Tons of 55's, which is nice. I don't know the scout lingo for the NFL though! LJ, help!

Yeah, that's why this draft sucks compared to the last two years. Julio Jones and AJ Green were gamechangers as was RGIII/Luck. Nothing like that this year except maybe for Austin.
I do think there is going to be a trade, somebody's going to go up to get Lane Johnson and maybe Joeckel/Fisher.

I think this is going to be the most entertaining and least satisfying in years. It'll be entertaining because so many teams seem to be looking to move down yet no one wants to move up, which means teams will be stuck taking BPA which hopefully means some crazy unpredictable picks.

It'll be unsatisfying because there just aren't a lot of immediate impact guys for us to get excited about. Chiefs take Joeckel?! Congrats, best case scenario you get Joe Thomas...and remain as irrelevant as the Browns did. If the Bills pass on a QB at 8 then I I don't think there is really any team in the first roung with a legitimate chance to get significantly better tonight. Marginally better? Of course. Predictably, significantly better? Nah.

If this were baseball I'd say the first round is mostly expensive "org" guys who will hopefully develop but I don't think anyone in the first would be a 60 prospect. Tons of 55's, which is nice. I don't know the scout lingo for the NFL though! LJ, help!

I suspect most team's draft boards look this like:
chalkboard-small.jpg

Wes

venison crêpe
@RossTuckerNFL 35m
Dolphins giving up a 2nd RD pick for right to pay Branden Albert more than they offered Jake Long? Makes no sense.

@BenVolinPBP 7m
Heard from one source this morning that #Dolphins agree with @RossTuckerNFL, that a 2nd rounder isn't worth it for Albert. We'll see...

@RossTuckerNFL 35m
Dolphins giving up a 2nd RD pick for right to pay Branden Albert more than they offered Jake Long? Makes no sense.

@BenVolinPBP 7m
Heard from one source this morning that #Dolphins agree with @RossTuckerNFL, that a 2nd rounder isn't worth it for Albert. We'll see...
Don't do it, Jeff!

effzee

Todd McShay's latest mock draft (on Sportscenter) has Luke Joekel falling out of the top ten...

In other news, Todd McShay is a fucking idiot

Well you can't project trades and he thinks KC takes Fisher #1 overall. So he is attaching Luke Joekel to a team rather than an actual pick # because he thinks a trade will take place. So its not that crazy.

So much about the Eagles and Austin. Man they must love the kid if so much talk about is dropping down to take him mid first round. Maybe Maclin is really gone. Or maybe they want all three. All 3 speedy undersized guys. Just worry about health though I heard Austin has never missed a game or practice in HS or his 4 years in college.

1. Austin makes them super scary to defend against plus we possibly gain another 2nd round pick with a trade down.
2. Fisher or Lance Johnson solves two OLINE positions and makes the OLINE possibly top 5
3. Dion Jordan/Star instantly start on D, add talent, and help with the transition to 3-4

Yeah, that's why this draft sucks compared to the last two years. Julio Jones and AJ Green were gamechangers as was RGIII/Luck. Nothing like that this year except maybe for Austin.
I do think there is going to be a trade, somebody's going to go up to get Lane Johnson and maybe Joeckel/Fisher.

There will be someone who reaches for a pick with a crazy trade as usual , but overall I don't see this being entertaining at all. Oh well.

effzee

@RossTuckerNFL 35m

@BenVolinPBP 7m

Yeah giving up a 2nd round pick and paying him elite LT money makes no sense when they weren't willing to do it for Long. I thought the whole point of letting Long walk was so they could reset the position.

And if this source is correct, it could mean they have a deal in place with one of the top 6-7 teams.

Lions are going to draft Ansah tonight.

Why? Because Madden Curse.

Why are Lions fans so down on Ansah? Yeah he is raw but almost all analysts keep raving about him.

Rorschach

@RossTuckerNFL 35m

@BenVolinPBP 7m

Dolphins are such a dumb organization and they don't get the flak for it that others do.

Rorschach

Hope KC takes Geno Smith. They can sneak him in there and no one will know which Smith is quarterbacking in any given snap. It would be the ultimate trump card!

Dolphins are such a dumb organization and they don't get the flak for it that others do.
They've been making some pretty decent moves the past year or two though, especially relative to the past decade or so. They had some losses along the way (missed out on best Harbaugh and Peyton), but they've avoided doing some really stupid stuff as well (signing Orton, drafting Mallett when Henne clearly wasn't the answer).

Right now I'm at about 50% as far as Ireland approval rating, and this next season will probably change that +/- 30% given all the crazy stuff the team has been doing this offseason.

Also, I have to laugh at the idea of the Dolphins not getting flak. How many times was lolphins posted during the season last year? And the team went 7-9 with a lot of close losses so I wouldn't put them in the bottom-feeder category anymore.

Why are Lions fans so down on Ansah? Yeah he is raw but almost all analysts keep raving about him.

I think on my part, I feel we have just as big needs on the OL to keep Stafford protected. Plus, some of it does have to deal with the fact that everyone in the media is saying he did so well during the Senior Bowl under Lions coaching that he WILL be just the same.

It's possible ... if Schwartz doesn't get canned this season, which is a high possibility if the Lions underperform again.

squicken

This isn't even a bold prediction. The Rams are taking Lacy if they stay at 22. I mean I hope at 22. Even dumber if they do it at 16, but he could be the guy they are targeting in the draft. I think they are happy to let everyone think the want Austin, but will really just grab someone like TJ Moe in the 6th round

Analysts are raving about his athleticism. Not his football talent of which he has very little experience. Many scouts consider him even more raw than JPP coming out and he's projected as a top 5 pick so the boom or bust risk is higher given the where he'd be selected by the Lions.

Frankly, if as an organization you feel that you've got the type of defensive coaching staff that can bring the best out of such a raw player I wouldn't hesitate to draft that type of athleticism. Lions fans apparently don't think that they do?

I will be shocked if the Falcons draft anything other than a CB in the first round.

I would like Marcus Lattimore to fall in our lap in one of the mid-rounds after we take care of some other needs in the first 2 rounds.

bionic77

Analysts are raving about his athleticism. Not his football talent of which he has very little experience. Many scouts consider him even more raw than JPP coming out and he's projected as a top 5 pick so the boom or bust risk is higher given the where he'd be selected by the Lions.

Frankly, if as an organization you feel that you've got the type of defensive coaching staff that can bring the best out of such a raw player I wouldn't hesitate to draft that type of athleticism. Lions fans apparently don't think that they do?
Do they also have the patience to limit him until he is ready to play the way they want him to? Besides coaching a player up, the hardest thing is often not playing the guy and holding him out until he is ready. There is so much pressure to put the high round picks on the field day 1, but that is often not in the teams or players best interest.

Do they also have the patience to limit him until he is ready to play the way they want him to? Besides coaching a player up, the hardest thing is often not playing the guy and holding him out until he is ready. There is so much pressure to put the high round picks on the field day 1, but that is often not in the teams or players best interest.
Agreed and that may be why Lions fans are leary about the pick as well? If they feel that they need immediate help, they may not have the patience for Ansah possibly being a situational pass rusher at best in his first year (again, much like JPP who didn't come until the last 6 games of his rookie year). Or like you said, the coaching staff may not have the patience to develop him.

EDIT: Ohm says Giants want Fluker (not a revelation):

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...new-york-giants-eyes-alabama-tackle-dj-fluker

Also notes that if he's not there, Vacarro and Eric Reid are on their radar at 19.

Agreed and that may be why Lions fans are leary about the pick as well? If they feel that they need immediate help, they may not have the patience for Ansah possibly being a situational pass rusher at best in his first year (again, much like JPP who didn't come until the last 6 games of his rookie year). Or like you said, the coaching staff may not have the patience to develop him.

Maybe we need the Lions' fans to check in, but here's my take. It's not that they don't like Ansah or don't think Ansah can help them, it's that they don't like him as a top 5 pick. He's got the athleticism as Future notes but he may not be an immediate impact guy. When you pick in the top 5, you want a guy you can stick out there and have him help your team. Given Ansah's limitations, he's a risk as a top 5 pick. If they could get him at 20 I think they'd be happier with him.

I think the only way I'd be upset with the Bills is if they end up trying to trade back into the first round to pick up a QB after passing on one at #8. I don't know that any of the QBs in this draft are worth giving away other draft picks for. Or if the Bills pick Te'o. That would suck.

I think I'd be ok if the Bills ended up with Geno, Barkley, Nassib or Manuel. Or if they ended up with Tavon Austin or Mingo. The big problem for the Bills seems to be that taking a QB at #8 is a reach most likely, yet if they don't get one at #8, there is a good chance they won't have a very good selection when their second round pick comes at #41.

Draxal

EDIT: Ohm says Giants want Fluker (not a revelation):

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...new-york-giants-eyes-alabama-tackle-dj-fluker

Also notes that if he's not there, Vacarro and Eric Reid are on their radar at 19.

Reese has been pretty good at smokescreening this year, I think everybody's on their radar at 19.

Although what Mara said about the trenches makes me think it's oline/dline; I just think the talent on the oline is better.

Vinny Ditrani (the semiretired guy from the Record who announced a pick for the Giants last year) gave them Carradine.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
WE'RE THE 11TH LARGEST PRIVATE GROUP ON NFL.COM!

Only 7 more players, and not only would we be in the top 10, we would also become the biggest Private group!

N! E! O! GAF! GAF ! GAF!

Need to make sure that MaddenGAF is All In on this.

BTW, I imagine the draft will be going on during the 9pm EST time hour. Gonna miss whoever's picked, while I'm watching POI.

Heard McShay on M&M, and his Joekel reasoning (for putting him beyond the top 10), was that he's expecting one of those teams to trade up to a top 5 pick to get him. It didn't make alot of sense, but it's McShay, so...

effzee

Eagles are moving to a 3-4?

ugh, Jim Johnson rolling in his grave

What why? He was probably rolling in his grave when that piece of shit Reid tried to move Castillo to defensive coordinator simply because "Juan used to sit in with the defensive meetings sometimes with JJ". Or when they let McDermott run the defense without half the talent JJ used to have or half the brain to use it properly.

If they make a proper switch it could work. Then again even the Eagles don't claim they are making a total switch, just some sort of hybrid. Though the DC they picked up prefers 3-4.

This isn't even a bold prediction. The Rams are taking Lacy if they stay at 22. I mean I hope at 22. Even dumber if they do it at 16, but he could be the guy they are targeting in the draft. I think they are happy to let everyone think the want Austin, but will really just grab someone like TJ Moe in the 6th round

Didn't they select 2 RBs last year? Why draft another that high?

It should be Austin.

cajunator

Banned
Ouch, that's no fun. Hopefully it'll ease up soon.

One more night, and then Im off for four days for the World Music festival. so excited!
Its the one big thing I look forward to every year. Of course right after that I have to return to work another week and then several more days after. I guess the upside is Im not broke.

effzee

Two interesting tweets:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
Increasing chatter of SF coming up into top 15. 49ers looking to strengthen an already tough defense.

SF could be targeting Vacaro I think.

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 13m
GM John Dorsey says he's not giving Branden Albert away and Joeckel-Fisher decision wont be influenced by whether Albert traded tonight

Rorschach

Also, I have to laugh at the idea of the Dolphins not getting flak.
They don't. They're under-the-radar bunglers. Even after an hbo special.

How many times was lolphins posted during the season last year?
During games or whatever? lol gets added to everything. loltriots lolts

And the team went 7-9 with a lot of close losses so I wouldn't put them in the bottom-feeder category anymore.

They've finally made it.

Vinny Ditrani (the semiretired guy from the Record who announced a pick for the Giants last year) gave them Carradine.
Been my pick for a long while, yeah.

Jason Cole saying the Niners want Sheldon Richardson:

Jason Cole @JasonColeYahoo 17m

It increasingly sounds like SF wants a DL via trade up with Sheldon Richardson as the likely target.

Wes

venison crêpe
@AdamSchefter 21m
Rams' second-first round pick, No. 22 overall, clearly is for sale. STL looking to deal out of 22.

I imagine they think a QB needy team could target this pick to re-enter the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom