• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Bingo. Ansah is more a long-term project than the immediate Day 1 upgrade the Lions need to replace KVB and Avril. We don't know if Schwartz and his staff will be here to stay and if he is out, will the new coach and staff be able to use Ansah the same?

It's why we'd rather have a Lane Johnson or Dee Milliner type player who isn't depending on being coached for a certain system that may be here today and gone tomorrow if things go poorly.

I wouldn't be opposed to a DE at 5 as long as it's the right guy ... which really means unless Sharif Floyd unexpectedly drops, I'd rather get an OL or DB with our pick.

Agreed on all points plus Ansah just does nothing to separate himself from Round 2 DEs.

For instance, Alex Okafor who is projected to go in the 2nd Round had a 40 time of 4.78 Seconds and 21 Bench press reps. "Athletic freak" Ziggy Ansah had a 40 time of 4.63 Seconds and 21 Bench press reps. Ansah is maybe an inch taller (6'5 vs. 6'4), and 10 lbs heavier (265 lbs vs. 275 lbs), whether we're talking about combine stats or stats from college, he is not that much more impressive than Okafor.

To me its a much safer bet to go with Millner or Warmack at #5 and get someone like Okafor, Margus Hunt or Bjorn Werner in the 2nd round.

Going to be an entertaining day though either way. :D Just got off of work cause it was raining out here today so now its time to kick back and get hype.

Colasante

This is some sort of super long con by Belichcik. He had Lombardi telling him to take Mallett. He knew one day Lombardi would take over as GM for some terrible team. So he takes the awful QB. He hired Lombardi's kid as a scout to cultivate trust. Then Lombardi gets a job, and Belichick pawns off a worthless backup QB for a first round pick

In Bill We Trust.

cashman

Banned
Agreed on all points plus Ansah just does nothing to separate himself from Round 2 DEs.

For instance, Alex Okafor who is projected to go in the 2nd Round had a 40 time of 4.78 Seconds and 21 Bench press reps. "Athletic freak" Ziggy Ansah had a 40 time of 4.63 Seconds and 21 Bench press reps. Ansah is maybe an inch taller (6'5 vs. 6'4), and 10 lbs heavier (265 lbs vs. 275 lbs), whether we're talking about combine stats or stats from college he is not that much more impressive than Okafor.

To me its a much safer bet to go with Millner or Warmack at #5 and get someone like Okafor, Margus Hunt or Bjorn Werner in the 2nd round.

Going to be an entertaining day though either way. :D Just got off of work cause it was raining out here today so now its time to kick back and get hype.

How did he do in games though. Okafor was a solid player at UT but wasn't anything special.

jergrah

What do you guys think about Tavon Austin going to the Eagles at 4

I loved Austin at WVU and its easy to get excited about him. But I wonder at the pro level if he's really different than a Dante Hall, Dexter McCluster, Noel Devine, etc.

He isn't a great route runner, was never forced to get off press in college, etc. Certainly explosive with the ball, but I wonder if he can be an every down WR.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Outside of the two tackles and two guards, he's the one guy I know will do well in the NFL. Every other guy has question marks. Austin will be able to make plays in space. He'd actually be a great pick up for Andy Reid's Eagles. I don't see Tavon as the most intelligent guy, so he may have a hard time picking up Kelly's super fast no huddle offense, but at least he can return kicks.

Fantomex

Stupid Dolphins. They want to overpay Albert because he has played a lot, I keep hearing that a lot from their organization. Oh he's played 5 years straight, he must be good. Guess what, Buttfumble has been playing his whole career in the NFL and he still sucks! Pay him 7.5 mill a year with incentives. Give up the #54 pick and that's that. If not stay at 12, draft Eifert, or give up your 1, 2 and a 4th and move up to Detroits #5 if for some stupid reason Fisher or Johnson are there.

effzee

Do the Eagles need another receiver? I thought that was the one position they were set at. They need defense.

Its not us who think he will go to them especially at 4, its been the reports from the same guys who have been semi accurate before. Even then some reports have said Austin only if they trade down to mid first.

Keep in mind that while they are decent at WR, both Maclin and DJAX can't be kept for long term deals unless Maclin decides he wants to be paid less to play 2nd fiddle to DJAX. Maclin is entering his final year and earlier around the combine time there were rumors the Eagles were shopping him. At that time Colts seemed like the likely trade partners with their GM having worked under Howie for the past many years. And they already pulled off some trades with each other recently.

There was also the outrageous rumor of the Eagles trading the #4 and Maclin for Colts #24, 3rd round pick this year, and the Colts first round next year. In that scenario I could see the Eagles then moving up from #24 for Austin or if he happens to fall scoop him up then.

I'd much rather they go the defensive direction but adding Austin even if they keep Maclin would be amazing to watch.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Holy shit, Tavon Austin is 5'8? I heard he was short, but not that short. The number one offensive prospect from this draft is 5'8...how are QBs even supposed to see him?

Draxal

Outside of the two tackles and two guards, he's the one guy I know will do well in the NFL. Every other guy has question marks. Austin will be able to make plays in space. He'd actually be a great pick up for Andy Reid's Eagles. I don't see Tavon as the most intelligent guy, so he may have a hard time picking up Kelly's super fast no huddle offense, but at least he can return kicks.

Eifert's going to be good as well, hence him skyrocketing.

How does WVU's offense compare to Oregons?

you didn't read my post!

stay the fuck away brah :(
There's no way he makes it to 26 anyway, might as well keep him out of the conference, right?

Stupid Dolphins. They want to overpay Albert because he has played a lot, I keep hearing that a lot from their organization. Oh he's played 5 years straight, he must be good. Guess what, Buttfumble has been playing his whole career in the NFL and he still sucks! Pay him 7.5 mill a year with incentives. Give up the #54 pick and that's that. If not stay at 12, draft Eifert, or give up your 1, 2 and a 4th and move up to Detroits #5 if for some stupid reason Fisher or Johnson are there.
Yup.

effzee

DeSean has been confirmed to be returning punts this year. Either way we need that explosive return game back. One of these guys, if Austin is picked, should do that.

Also talk of Austin heated up when reports came out Austin was approached by the Eagles, had a conference with them, and according to some close to the team he is the #2 player on their board.

Problem is who is #1? Same group since forever...Jordan, Fisher, Johnson, Star.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Eifert's going to be good as well, hence him skyrocketing.

How does WVU's offense compare to Oregons?

Eifert is a can't miss guy, too. You're right. Just don't expect Rob Gronkowski, expect Heath Miller.

I'm not super into cfb, so take this with a grain of salt. As I see it, WVU ran a lot of uptempo, but it seemed pretty simplified.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
McGinn is the best in the biz. Especially his annual "Packers are utterly and inescapably doomed this year" article right before the season begins.

I'm glad the Packers are finally focusing on health this year. Too many injuries to be a fluke. You'd think that'd be a focus after Harrell a few years back.

McGinn is eznark.

jbug617

Banned
I like the over for QB. Teams are going to trade in for them late

Edit: Our local reporters are reporting the Browns calling the Pats for Mallet. Pats want a 2nd round pick in return.

Meier

I think the Noles will have at least 10 guys taken throughout the draft. Probably end up with 3 taken in the first but 5 sure would be sweet. No pick for the Bucs tonight means that's all I care about for now.

effzee

Personally if the Jets aren't going to draft another QB of the future this year, and they shouldn't until they get their new HC, they better take the two best offensive players at 9 and 13. Even if its skill position players!

Sanchez will at least zero excuses if Eifert and Austin are provided to him. Add in OLINE depth and a RB from the later rounds and for once Mark might have a good set of skill position players.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
How did he do in games though. Okafor was a solid player at UT but wasn't anything special.

Well, just going on 2012 stats:

Ziggy Ansah: 62 Total Tackles, 39 Solo Tackles, 13 TFL and 4.5 Sacks.

Alex Okafor: 54 Total Tackles, 41 Solo Tackles, 16.5 TFL and 12.5 Sacks.

That's another thing, Ziggy Ansah only played for 2012 during his time at BYU, while Okafor played all 4 years.

The more I think about it the more against taking Ansah I am.... =/

This is some sort of super long con by Belichcik. He had Lombardi telling him to take Mallett. He knew one day Lombardi would take over as GM for some terrible team. So he takes the awful QB. He hired Lombardi's kid as a scout to cultivate trust. Then Lombardi gets a job, and Belichick pawns off a worthless backup QB for a first round pick

And all it cost him were years of blown drafts!

Personally if the Jets aren't going to draft another QB of the future this year, and they shouldn't until they get their new HC, they better take the two best offensive players at 9 and 13. Even if its skill position players!

Sanchez will at least zero excuses if Eifert and Austin are provided to him. Add in OLINE depth and a RB from the later rounds and for once Mark might have a good set of skill position players.

If the Jets don't draft a QB we'll know that the GM thinks Rex is a lame duck.

Tamanon

Banned
Jags have a whole new scouting department, which is good, because their old evaluations of defensive linemen has been absolute shit.

But taking Ansah 2nd would throw the whole draft out of whack, would be funny to watch at least. And honestly, we need almost everything, so it's just about being a great player.

Darren Connolly IV ‏@DConnollyNFL 19s

Hearing #Dolphins and #AZCardinals are making very strong offers for #Raiders pick at number 3 as well #NFLDraft

I think Dolphins prefer Fisher or Joeckel, Albert is backup plan.

Never thought we'd get this kinda play for LTs.

Darren Connolly IV ‏@DConnollyNFL 11s

Sources inside #Falcons org remain very confident that if their guy is there at number 3 that they will win bidding war #Raiders #NFLDraft

The wait till 5 is gonna be so long. I'm definitely going pantless tonight.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Well, just going on 2012 stats:

Ziggy Ansah: 62 Total Tackles, 39 Solo Tackles, 13 TFL and 4.5 Sacks.

Alex Okafor: 54 Total Tackles, 41 Solo Tackles, 16.5 TFL and 12.5 Sacks.

That's another thing, Ziggy Ansah only played for 2012 during his time at BYU, while Okafor played all 4 years.

The more I think about it the more against taking Ansah I am.... =/

Ansah's a project. He's a potential guy, not a production guy. A team that's likely to be in transition or needs help immediately probably shouldn't draft him. But they will.

Bowser

Yeah I can't remember the last really good short WR, was it Santana Moss?

Steve-Smith-hurts-his-shoulder.jpg

edit: like this pic so much I'm making it my avatar!

Bowser

I think Dolphins prefer Fisher or Joeckel, Albert is backup plan.

Never thought we'd get this kinda play for LTs.

The wait till 5 is gonna be so long. I'm definitely going pantless tonight.

Falcons up to 3? Have to think they're looking at Dion Jordan then...or maybe one of the tackles since they cut Clabo?

effzee

And all it cost him were years of blown drafts!

If the Jets don't draft a QB we'll know that the GM thinks Rex is a lame duck.

I don't know what's going on over there and obviously a lot of the decisions they have made or haven't are direct orders from Woody.

Only reason Rex still has a job and Sanchez hasn't bee released is due to cap hits and paying 2 head coaches at the same time when you already paying two GMs.

That I get. What I don't get is why they would be so quick to move on from Mark who they wasted such a high pick on and then gave him an extension. I think he stinks but you can't honestly evaluate him until you give him actual weapons. When their OLINE was good and they had 2-3 RBs that offense wasn't terrible. He also had Braylen Edwards playing at his best.

If you don't like a QB in this draft, and most teams don't, give one last final try out year to Sanchez. Provide him with a running game and weapons to throw to. If he still fucks up then draft a QB from next year's crop.

Wes

venison crêpe
How about three players you'ld love your team to draft and three you'ld hate. Be bold. For me:

Love:
1) Dion Jordan OLB
2) Dee Milliner CB
3) Tyler Eifert TE

Hate:
1) Geno Smith QB
2) Tavon Austin WR
3) Jarvis Jones OLB

There are tons. Problem is they are almost exclusively slot players. Do you want to draft a slot guy, even a potentially great one, 4th overall?
Austin brings more to the table than "just a slot guy" though. If you have an offensive mind that's willing to get the guy as many touches as possible in the game (as a Harvin type space player for instance), the value for such a player goes up, IMO.

Value can be argued in so far as if he's worth the #4 overall pick but I would imagine different teams are going to put a different price on the type of explosiveness he offers.

Colasante

How about three players you'ld love your team to draft and three you'ld hate. Be bold.

For the Patriots,

I'd love:
1. CB DJ Hayden, 2. DE Tank Carradine, 3. WR Justin Hunter.

I'd hate:
1. CB Xavier Rhodes, 2. DE Bjoern Werner, 3. WR Quinton Patton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom