• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFatOne

Who are the best available safeties, and corners left? It looks like the Pats should easily be able to move up, and snatch a good WR.
For almost every other team I love the trade. But NE needs impact players, not decent roster fillers. Maybe BB didn't like the WRs in the draft, but he still needs to try. Let McD make the pick. One of his few talents is spotting WRs

One of the issues is Brady though. If he doesn't immediately have chemistry with a receiver it's game over.

I've been watching this clip over and over again to cheer myself up and then keep hoping he pans out.

http://youtu.be/yazeUWvs0wY

Edit: Justin Hunter is still available. Watch Detroit take him with their 2nd round pick.

I know, during that round table discussion, none of those guys knew for sure Gunther Cunningham would be coaching Ziggy. Guy doesn't stand a chance. But it is encouraging to hear about his progress through his collegiate career. Still not happy

The Lions will find a way to draft the tackle from Florida State, who has about as much experience as Ziggy does on the football field. You wacth

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ndamakong Suh on Facebook: From Ghana to Detroit, welcome my African brother! Lets do work!

I still think we should've gone another route, either way we run a Wide 9 D and with most of the o-line focused on Suh and Fairley, Ansah should not have a hard job. Just run from a 3 point stance and get to the QB!

Either way we got picks #35 and #64 coming up so I can't wait to see what we do today.

He needs to hang out with Freeman and Fatford if he's going to be a DE then.
Yeah, I do think he needs to bulk up some. Then again, I'm pretty sure Jason Taylor kept it around 250 and he was also 6'6" so who knows.

Can't wait to see some Wake - Brady - Jordan sandwiches, though.

The point is that the Pats are amazing at dictating matchups on offense. Does anyone really think the Dolphins are that much better-equipped to stop them with Dion Jordan, either in the pass rush or in coverage?
Well they brought in younger, quicker LB's (Ellerbee, Wheeler) to presumably help with covering TE's as well. I guess the thought is that having two great (hopefully) pass rushers will create match-up problems for an offense as they can't just throw guys at Wake like they've been doing.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://i.imgur.com/XTOJOnE.png/img]

Rex his long lost brother?

[B]Dee Milliner looked so disappointed when he was drafted by the Jets[/B].[/QUOTE]

It's the underbite. Hopefully with his incoming money, he'll be getting some dental work in the near future.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AdamSchefter
West Virginia QB Geno Smith has decided to remain in New York and will be attending the draft tonight in Radio City Music Hall.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ndamakong Suh on Facebook: From Ghana to Detroit, welcome my African brother! Lets do work!

I still think we should've gone another route, either way we run a Wide 9 D and with most of the o-line focused on Suh and Fairley, Ansah should not have a hard job. Just run from a 3 point stance and get to the QB!

Either way we got picks #35 and #64 coming up so I can't wait to see what we do today.

This is the make or break year for Gunther as DC. If that line can't produce, he's gone.

So some of you were wondering why LionsGAF was so down on Ziggy Ansah pre-draft. There's a simple explanation for that.

I'll be the first to admit, we hear voices in our head on draft day. They're just kind of there, nothing we can do about it. And when people mentioned Ziggy or it gets late at night, just before bed, they'd always flare up again as these:

"Joey Harrington ..."

"... Terry Fair ..."

"... Charles Rogers .... Mike Williams ... Roy Williams ..."

"AARON GIBSON AARON GIBSON AARON GIBSON AARON GIBSON"

Once you get done with the screaming and the cold sweating, though, they go away for a bit.

Now, onward to Day 2 and Rounds 2 and 3. There's still plenty of talent here for the Lions to address some issues; it's not top level, super impact guys, but they can still fill spots of need:

Menelik Watson - OT - Florida State: I like everything I've read about this guy and he's where he should be in the draft (late 1st/early 2nd). Not the killer prospect someone like Fisher or Joeckel was, but could eventually be more than good enough for what the Lions will need. Possibly an alright selection early in Round 2, though he is a bit of a project, too, like Ziggy is. Even if he can only play RT, the Lions can move Riley Reiff to LT. Just do what you have to do to protect Staffykins. (GoldLion, I'm sorry.)

Tank Carradine - DE - Florida State: Insurance in case Ansah doesn't work out. Or, if he does, another guy to put into the DE rotation that Schwartz likes to use. A developed Ansah, a healthy Carradine and someone like Willie Young could wreak havoc for years to come in the NFC North. My only drawback with Carradine is do we want to go two DEs when we have other positions of need?

Justin Hunter - WR - Tennessee/Robert Woods - WR - USC: Nate Burleson has been alright but he's getting old. Someone like Hunter or Woods could eventually becone the #2 WR to line up opposite Megatron (with Broyles in the slot) and give the Lions a three-headed monster for a receiving corps. Plus, we know the Lions always draft a receiver early, so if we're going to do it, why not take one that frees up Calvin to do what he does best? Probably the late Round 2 selection at 65, and if so, it'll likely be Woods.

Arthur Brown - OLB - Kansas State: Less than enthusiastic about this one, mostly because if we're at Brown it means Hunter, Carradine, Watson and Woods have all been taken. Kind of my "BPA in position of need" guy, Brown is one of the higher-rated OLB prospects and we need someone to replace Justin Durant. Would be a late 2nd pick if Detroit grabs him.

Others considered: Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky

I would have suggested Jonathan Banks out of Mississippi State or Jamar Taylor from Boise State, but after passing on Milliner last night, I think Mayhew's determined to see if Bill Bailey or one of the other picks from 2012 works out opposite Chris Houston. Not saying I agree with that, but it looks like that's the reality.

Seems to me all of the AFC North had satisfactory first rounds. The Bengals scare the hell out of me though.
Ehhhh, I'm not to worried. They have weapons but I'm just not afraid of Andy Dalton. Lets see what the Bengals and Steelers do at rb in the upcoming rounds, thats what I really want to see.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AdamSchefter
West Virginia QB Geno Smith has decided to remain in New York and will be attending the draft tonight in Radio City Music Hall.

Because Jacksonville probably called him and said they were taking him.

Rorschach

AdamSchefter

Must have gotten it from all sides. At least he won't be in front of the crowd with this year's setup. That won't stop NFLN and ESPN from showing him all day, but he's a big boy.

Luckily for him, the third round is tomorrow so he won't have to come back a third day!

Plinko

Arthur Brown - OLB - Kansas State: Less than enthusiastic about this one, mostly because if we're at Brown it means Hunter, Carradine, Watson and Woods have all been taken. Kind of my "BPA in position of need" guy, Brown is one of the higher-rated OLB prospects and we need someone to replace Justin Durant. Would be a late 2nd pick if Detroit grabs him.

Others considered: Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky

I would have suggested Jonathan Banks out of Mississippi State or Jamar Taylor from Boise State, but after passing on Milliner last night, I think Mayhew's determined to see if Bill Bailey or one of the other picks from 2012 works out opposite Chris Houston. Not saying I agree with that, but it looks like that's the reality.

That's not technically possible because Detroit picks 4th in the 2nd round.

KingGondo

Banned
Well they brought in younger, quicker LB's (Ellerbee, Wheeler) to presumably help with covering TE's as well. I guess the thought is that having two great (hopefully) pass rushers will create match-up problems for an offense as they can't just throw guys at Wake like they've been doing.
I suppose I see what they're going for, I just think it's nearly impossible to match up with Gronk and Hernandez, not to mention Amendola and whatever WR they end up picking in this draft. Jordan just seemed like a reach at that spot.

AdamSchefter
He must have gotten a promise from somebody.

I suppose I see what they're going for, I just think it's nearly impossible to match up with Gronk and Hernandez, not to mention Amendola and whatever WR they end up picking in this draft. Jordan just seemed like a reach at that spot.
You're right, they just should spot the Pats 7 points whenever their offense takes the field.

I mean, what do you want them to do?

KingGondo

Banned
You're right, they just should spot the Pats 7 points whenever their offense takes the field.

I mean, what do you want them to do?
I'm just expressing my skepticism that Jordan is the answer. Ireland has given nobody any reason to trust his personnel decisions over the years, and I think he's in desperation mode to keep his job.

I agree with most of this, but the scouting reports all say that EJ was not going in the first round. We do get 2 second round picks, which I'm excited about - hopefully we make some attempt to shore up our pass defense, but I'm not sold on EJ as anything special. I want to see him learn how to do more than check the first read and then run. I've been watching film on the guy since the pick and he's...he's just not impressive. I want to be impressed by a QB that we take in the first round of a draft where no others were taken.

Yeah... maybe its because I watched most of Syracuse's games this past year and was never too impressed with Nassib. He definitely got better as the year went on, but all the people saying the Bills would take him at #8? Him? Just because Marrone was his coach? Nah. I'm sure if I followed FSU football, I'd probably feel the same way about EJ. Seems like the Bills just took the guy with the most upside in their opinion in hopes that the coaches can do something with him.

If EJ was the Bills' guy all along, then I will absolutely give them tons of credit for the amount of smoke they were blowing. They had the media convinced they were going for Nassib or Barkley and were able to get a good trade with St. Louis.

The only concern I'd have now is if the Jets end up taking Nassib in the 2nd and Nassib ends up being any good. Hell, maybe the Bills end up doing what the Redskins did last year with RG3 and Cousins and take another QB later in the 4th or something?

TheFatOne

He must have gotten a promise from somebody.

This just isn't true. It would be true if the Pats had a legitimate number one receiver.

Draxal

Giant Gaf. Hoping for a decent de prospect (Carradine/Hunt) or a solid mlb prospect (I wouldn't mind Teo here, would prefer Minter).

I think there is going to be good value for corners in round 3 and wrs in round 4.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah... maybe its because I watched most of Syracuse's games this past year and was never too impressed with Nassib. He definitely got better as the year went on, but all the people saying the Bills would take him at #8? Him? Just because Marrone was his coach? Nah. I'm sure if I followed FSU football, I'd probably feel the same way about EJ. Seems like the Bills just took the guy with the most upside in their opinion in hopes that the coaches can do something with him.

If EJ was the Bills' guy all along, then I will absolutely give them tons of credit for the amount of smoke they were blowing. They had the media convinced they were going for Nassib or Barkley and were able to get a good trade with St. Louis.

The only concern I'd have now is if the Jets end up taking Nassib in the 2nd and Nassib ends up being any good. Hell, maybe the Bills end up doing what the Redskins did last year with RG3 and Cousins and take another QB later in the 4th or something?

I'm not happy about the QB situation in Buffalo, but I think that we have more pressing needs in the LB core and the CB/safeties. Take the value picks there and if one of these project QBs fall into the right slot, sure, why the hell not. By picking EJ though, they've set their course of action - which is that they're not going to try to win now and they want somebody they think they can eventually coach up.

IE, let's waste the best years of our good group of OL and RBs lives. IE, the Buffalo way.

LJ11

I agree with most of this, but the scouting reports all say that EJ was not going in the first round. We do get 2 second round picks, which I'm excited about - hopefully we make some attempt to shore up our pass defense, but I'm not sold on EJ as anything special. I want to see him learn how to do more than check the first read and then run. I've been watching film on the guy since the pick and he's...he's just not impressive. I want to be impressed by a QB that we take in the first round of a draft where no others were taken.

Yeah, but there's a good chance that he was going in the 2nd, or maybe not, impossible to tell. Bottom line, they could have traded back further, Buddy got calls, but he was nervous about it. Stop being a pussy Buddy!

Buddy's the funniest GM in the league, easily. Some of it isn't intended. At least he entertains me more than the team.

I'm just expressing my skepticism that Jordan is the answer. Ireland has given nobody any reason to trust his personnel decisions over the years, and I think he's in desperation mode to keep his job.
I don't think that's entirely fair, I'd say Ireland has gone from sub-par (with Parcells) to par when it comes to drafting. There is definitely still a reason for some skepticism but he hasn't been completely striking out over the past couple of years.

Anyway, I'm also skeptical of the Jordan pick, but at the same time it's not like there is any one defensive guy that the Phins could have picked who would be "the answer." The moves they've made in free agency will have much more of an impact (positive or negative) than this one draft choice, and as far as the actual choice goes Jordan is probably the BPA at the 3 spot (defensively, anyway). I am worried about how well he'll fit into their scheme, though.

KingGondo

Banned
Should also help Kruger out in his pass rush.
I'd like to take a shot at Matt Scott before someone like the Hawks could, maybe 4th.
I bet the Eagles take him.

I say we'll go almost all defense in this draft and let Chud and Norv work their magic with the young pieces already in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom