• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a comedy. It's more like a light-hearted drama akin to The Blind Side. It's heavy on the 'I need to make sure I don't fuck up this #1 pick because the city is counting on me' message.
Sounds like I need to boycott, ooo well I guess itll add to the rise of browns football<3
As long as the Bengals keep Marvin Lewis around, they'll always be floating around 9-7 and unable to get over the hump. That, and the owner is still cheap as all fuck. But at least he doesn't rip off truckers.
not everyone can live on the edge brah

harSon

Banned
Gotcha.

I'm curious to see how many rb's get taken in the second. Would love to get Franklin in the third round if he dropped that far.

Yeah, I'd love Franklin or Giovani Bernard. I've heard we have some interest in Le’Veon Bell as well, but that's more of a 3rd round selection.

Would you mind the Steelers trading up for a second 2nd round pick or a high 3rd round pick?

jergrah

Really happy Miami jumped up to go after Jordan. The combination of him and Wake on the outside with Soliai, Starks, Odrick rotating inside makes for a nice front.

Curious to see what they do today. I'm cool with trading a 3rd for Albert (KC) but not a 2nd. Eric Winston is still sitting in FA and they can simply go after him. Jonathan Martin has been working like crazy this offseason and is much stronger, I think he can hold down LT.

I'd really like Miami to make a move to try to get Cyprien, since Clemons is on just a 1 year deal. That guy covers ground quick as hell, plays fast, hits hard, is always around the ball. I think he's a far better player than Vacarro.

LevelNth

Banned
Big time boom or bust. Really bad hands. Just brutal drops. Also has some effort/focus issues. Normally I trust Harbs, but after Jenkins, idk
I still think it's way too premature to decide on Jenkins, book is still out. Give him this season. He was never going to be a factor for most of last year regardless.

Bowser

Most wanted for Panthers:

S Jonathan Cyprien
CB Darius Slay
CB Jamar Taylor
CB Jonathan Banks
CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson

Get that secondary on its way to matching the beastly front 7 we've got now

squicken

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--r...in-getting-their-man-eric-reid-075049013.html

I linked that earlier, but Silver covered both SF and OAK drafts. Really weird how he fawns over SF and belittles OAK, though if OAK was taking Hayden at 3, that is a bit nuts

Seems like the Vikes know they need a "plan" for Patterson, like they should have had for Harvin, and already know what they need to do. Clearly they had him targeted before the draft. Think they jumped b/c STL had been rumored to grab him

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--r...in-getting-their-man-eric-reid-075049013.html

I linked that earlier, but Silver covered both SF and OAK drafts. Really weird how he fawns over SF and belittles OAK, though if OAK was taking Hayden at 3, that is a bit nuts

Seems like the Vikes know they need a "plan" for Patterson, like they should have had for Harvin, and already know what they need to do. Clearly they had him targeted before the draft. Think they jumped b/c STL had been rumored to grab him

Lol sounds like u mad! Don't hate on the former and future NFC west kings!

Lots of talent left on the board and the run on QBs start now. Atlanta passing on Floyd was a bit surprising and the TE from ND shocking.

We needed help in the secondary and i guess the front office liked Trufant more than Rhodes. Thats fine with me. Now lets see if Ertz falls or one of the Dline prospects fall. I wouldn't mind getting a LB either.

DCX

He was taken right before our pick.

He has done pretty good with 2nd round picks. I'm happy with the guy we got yesterday. I've been saying we needed a DE the last 3 years it seems, mostly because I wasn't sure when Pickett would end up gone or retiring. But no one has really came to the other side and played all that well either.

Hopefully Worthy will get better and act as a level of depth or Jones can make an early impact on the line.
I'd like to pick up good sized LBer or safety here soon.
tbh, this is my concern with the Packers under Ted. Draft and develop is great, but really we've only made it work on the offensive side of the ball. The defense was propped up by free agent signings (Woodson, Pickett).

Basically the only elite talents Ted has drafted on defense are Clay and Nick Collins. It's a pretty awful hit rate. I guess the jury's still out on the 2012 guys though...

OTOH, his ability to find productive undrafted dudes is completely insane.

brentech

tbh, this is my concern with the Packers under Ted. Draft and develop is great, but really we've only made it work on the offensive side of the ball. The defense was propped up by free agent signings (Woodson, Pickett).

Basically the only elite talents Ted has drafted on defensive are Clay and Nick Collins. It's a pretty awful hit rate.

His ability to find productive undrafted dudes is completely insane, though.

Hopefully Hayward will only improve. I think he's a good talent.
The others from last year...I'm not going to write off yet, but yeah, they'd have to make some big strides this season.

squicken

Lol sounds like u mad! Don't hate on the former and future NFC west kings!

Silver really seems to have an axe to grind with McKenzie. I don't know how close Silver and Hue were but it's like he's never recovered

I still think it's way too premature to decide on Jenkins, book is still out. Give him this season. He was never going to be a factor for most of last year regardless.

I looked up the numbers for WRs who perform poorly their rookie year, and unless it's due to injury, it's not good company that Quick and Jenkins keep. Usually at least by the end of the year they are getting better, like Blackmon did last year

Hopefully Hayward will only improve. I think he's a good talent.
The others from last year...I'm not going to write off yet, but yeah, they'd have to make some big strides this season.
Yeah, I edited the post to exempt the 2012 guys. I think it's too soon to say about Perry/Worthy, and early returns on Hayward are promising.

LevelNth

Banned
I looked up the numbers for WRs who perform poorly their rookie year, and unless it's due to injury, it's not good company that Quick and Jenkins keep. Usually at least by the end of the year they are getting better, like Blackmon did last year
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not thrilled at how last year went down lol.

But at least it was more so due to his lack of playing, rather than playing and not performing at all. I'm more on the optimistic side of the coin that when he gets his chance he'll do well, rather than the pessimistic view of 'he didn't play cause he sucked in practice so bad'.

Fingers crossed.

squicken

@TheBigLead: Jay Glazer, on Dan Patrick, says Honey Badger blew off visits w/ Texans & Seahawks last week. "He fell off the grid."

what a dumbass

Sanjuro

Draft was pretty bad last night. I'm glad they could scrap together some "Sweet Caroline". Otherwise there simply wasn't anything entertaining to watch.

RIP NFL

Basically the only elite talents Ted has drafted on defense are Clay and Nick Collins. It's a pretty awful hit rate. I guess the jury's still out on the 2012 guys though...

OTOH, his ability to find productive undrafted dudes is completely insane.

Seems like he's pretty good finding cornerbacks. It's front seven he sucks at.

Talon

Draft was pretty bad last night. I'm glad they could scrap together some "Sweet Caroline". Otherwise there simply wasn't anything entertaining to watch.

RIP NFL
:slowclap

This is a perfect parody of a Nintendo/Apple/WhateverCompany hate post.

@TheBigLead: Jay Glazer, on Dan Patrick, says Honey Badger blew off visits w/ Texans & Seahawks last week. "He fell off the grid."

what a dumbass
I think I read something about this, and he was supposedly sick.
I'll still take him, radio had a good segment about his recovery/comeback last week

The good news is that we have a new logo:

8313331095_a18eb66fa8_o.png

The bad news? We're still gonna suck next season.

You're right, Coples did alright, I just think they're hurting him if they continue to rush him from the outside. Whatever, they know what they're doing.

you're also way too harsh on EJ Manuel. He's better than Nassib, and probably the best QB in this class.

Jets were interested in him too.

Fantomex

I understand that feel of not knowing with the Dolphins pick. Dude is either going to be amazing one day like Aldon Smith, Jasion Pierre-Paul, or he's gonna be a mediocre situational pass rush guy who averages 5 sacks a year. But the more you look at it, the AFC East goes through New England. Can you tell me the formula for beating pass happy teams like undoubtedly the Broncos, Packers or the Patriots will be?

Agile-athletic-defensive-line-key-for-Giants-9PTO2P5-x-large.jpg

Yeah exactly. The Dolphins whom obviously know at least something about Offensive Lineman, picking 4 offensive linemen in the first 3 rounds in the past 5 years maybe realized, It wasn't working. Anyway, that's how I try to make sense of the pick. You beat Tom Brady by drafting Lane Johnson? It's not the Patriots defense thats gonna kill us, its Brady, Hernandez and Gronk. I think one of the NFL writers put it best. If Bellichik, Newsome or Coughlin got Dion Jordan it would of been a master stroke pick, but since Ireland has a sketchy history, it's a risky selection. Because Ireland has yet to make anything work up to this point. So only time will tell unfortunately.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I guess best case scenario for the Bears would be Teo or Minter falling to the 50 spot.

I guess I wouldn't be totally upset with Long/Teo or Minter for rounds 1 and 2 all things considered.

Ok gaf will we see more college players leave early now since they see Matt Barkley go back to school, ruined his draft stock and possibility now has to earn his paycheck instead of a guarantee one? I mean bonuses and stuff?

SonnyBoy

Ok gaf will we see more college players leave early now since they see Matt Barkley go back to school, ruined his draft stock and possibility now has to earn his paycheck instead of a guarantee one? I mean bonuses and stuff?

Yeah...

Barkley said:
“I had confidence that I was going to go high, it wasn’t really a question of that as to why I came back,” Barkley said. “I think it was a sure bet that Andrew was going to go No. 1.”
Asked if he thinks he — not Robert Griffin III — would have gone No. 2 after Luck went No. 1, Barkley said he does.

squicken

Gil Brandt &#8207;@Gil_Brandt
Expect 3 QBs to go between picks 33-39. My sources expect @Eagles (35) and @NYJets (39) to go that route

Barkley was never going to be a top 5 pick. He would have been picked apart once he started working out and throwing for teams.

SonnyBoy

I'm 90% sure the Skins wouldn't have traded up for Matt Barkley.

I don't believe that they would have, but you never know. It came out a few months back that Shanny wanted to draft Russell to backup RGIII. If RGIII was the off the board, they may have taken Russell in the 2nd. I believe he was still available at that point.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Only for Minter, but I don't think they like him that much. Either he falls into their laps or he goes someplace else.

edit: Gerry Dulac thinks the Steelers trade up in the second to take Arthur Brown.

I'd love that. But I'm not sure the Steelers have the picks to give up to move up very far. Maybe 5 spots for a 5th and 6th? Does JerrAl have a high pick in the second? He's obviously open to being fleeced.

Brown/Minter/Cyprien in that order is my wishlist on the defensive side of the ball. There's some decent wr talent that should be available, but nothing outstanding. Save it for the third. Montee Ball may be a sleeper pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom