• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude I can also find two guys who would rave about Lane Johnson so bringing up two guys who disagree is not all that shocking. Not everyone is going to like every pick. And for sure he was the #3 ranked OT in the tackle but by no one's account did that #3 mean "distant 3rd to be picked in rounds 2 or later". A lot of draft analysts had him either right up there or right behind Fisher and Joekel. A reach would have been like what the Cowboys did at Center.

I picked those 2 guys because they are very well respected, and generally not very negative especially Ray. So it stood out to me that they were both down on the pick. He might turn out great but taking a project that high is definitely a reach. If they had taken his in the middle of the 1st I wouldnt feel anywhere near as crushed today, but this is the exact type of bad move that bad teams make. I would expect the Cowboys or Raiders to do something like this, not the Eagles. The Eagles have a ton of needs and yet they grabbed a guy who could be great but could very easily be a bust. I just wish they had either traded down or taken someone more solid. The draft is such a crap shoot already, no reason to take such an unproven guy that high.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Feel free to insult Landry Jones

There's nothing to insult. Perfect quarterback.

lolandry.gif

squicken

There's nothing to insult. Perfect quarterback.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2225803/lolandry.gif[/MG][/QUOTE]

Like Chariots of Fire

[quote="Draxal, post: 55646092"]I'm going to do a :colbert called it .gif here. (on Carradine Falling).[/QUOTE]

That's the hardest part with the mock draft stuff. You just assume a healthy recovery. Only place I saw that there were issues was from McGinn

edit:

[url]http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/april/mocking-the-2013-mock-drafts.html[/url]

Mocking the mock drafts. Mayock had the best one again

Draxal

That's the hardest part with the mock draft stuff. You just assume a healthy recovery. Only place I saw that there were issues was from McGinn

ACL's a really bad injury on a draft pick. Players can come back from it fine. The problem is that by drafting him in the first you're giving a commitment to a player for 5 years (if you want to keep them for those 5 years).

1. The first ACL injury is fine, and alot of players come back from. The second one is a much different story.
2. A player who has one acl injury is more inclined to have another one (Actually i'm not sure about this one ... but I think it's true).

effzee

I picked those 2 guys because they are very well respected, and generally not very negative especially Ray. So it stood out to me that they were both down on the pick. He might turn out great but taking a project that high is definitely a reach. If they had taken his in the middle of the 1st I wouldnt feel anywhere near as crushed today, but this is the exact type of bad move that bad teams make. I would expect the Cowboys or Raiders to do something like this, not the Eagles. The Eagles have a ton of needs and yet they grabbed a guy who could be great but could very easily be a bust. I just wish they had either traded down or taken someone more solid. The draft is such a crap shoot already, no reason to take such an unproven guy that high.

Again how do you know they didn't try to trade down? Its not like teams were banging the door to move up. Only one rumored was Miami and when everyone thought it was for Lane Johnson at 3 they shocked us with Jordan.

So how can we assume they passed up guys like Jordan or didn't try to trade down? For all the crazy deals that went down, 10 times as many probably don't due to compensation. I rather have Lane Johnson then trade down and get fleeced by a team.

Also you make it sound like he was such a project that he shouldn't even have been in consideration. He was projected top 5 by many and top 10 by all. No one said he was a distant third behind Fisher and Joekel. Cowboys and Bears both picked players with 2-3 round grades. Eagles picked the TACKLE most people had Miami either trading up to get at 2,3 or even 4. Someone who everyone agreed wouldn't last past the top 10.

And if he is a project how are guys like Dion Jordan or Ansah not projects? For both players I heard how they are raw, need to add muscle, and more technique. Floyd fits a 4-3 a lot more. Star made sense but I guess like other teams they didn't value him enough in the top 10.

eznark

Banned
I now know how to get under Ez's skin. Insult a Wisconsin Badger.

Plenty of Badgers are trash. Carimi the latest guy that I didn't love. I wouldn't touch Ball (or any Badger running backs).

Like that soft Princess of Wisconsin Travis "Becky" Beckum?

I like him because I know him not because he's a Badger! But I only know him because he is a Badger. I wish he'd be good. He was a blast to watch.

He's not even the biggest Badger/Giant bust. Remember Ron "Great" Dayne.

Lol, he isn't even top 10 in Badger busts. He was at least useful. Ask Vikings fans about their luck with Badgers! Erasmus, Michael Bennett.....Chilly!

Mrbob

I think the Giants fucked them by taking Pugh right before them. Apparently they had him for a private workout, and the Giants/Bears like the same type of ol (versatility).

Phil Emery called Kyle Long the best guard in the senior bowl, LOL. Loved his versatility, uhh, ok Phil. Why don't you get a guy you can plug into one position and know he'll be good? Shea McClellin last year, and now Kyle Long this year. Two guys who may not have one set position they are great at. Hooray!

eznark

Banned
Phil Emery called Kyle Long the best guard in the senior bowl, LOL. Loved his versatility, uhh, ok Phil. Why don't you get a guy you can plug into one position and know he'll be good? Shea McClellin last year, and now Kyle Long this year. Two guys who may not have one set position they are great at. Hooray!

GOOD LUCK

effzee

I only wanted him because of the Oregon connection and only if he fell deep into the 2nd and we hadn't selected a tackle with our first pick.

Seems rather high for where you guys picked him. Good luck.

Also was this posted? Geno to Jets possibly? One more way to fuck Sanchez without actualy providing him weapons?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...w-york-jets-reportedly-might-draft-geno-smith

Geno Smith has decided to return to Radio City Music Hall for the second round, and he could be off the board quickly.

NFL '13 DRAFT XTRA
Follow on your smartphone or tablet for exclusive content including live video from Radio City Music Hall.
The New York Jets will strongly consider the West Virginia quarterback at No. 39 overall, the New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reported. And Smith might not last even that long. The Jacksonville Jaguars and Philadelphia Eagles could be in play at No. 33 and No. 35, respectively.

Mehta also reported the Jets were prepared to select Tavon Austin with the No. 9 pick before the St. Louis Rams traded into the No. 8 slot to grab the West Virginia receiver.
The Jets took Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner instead and filled the hole left by Darrelle Revis.

This is right where Smith should go as the quarterback-needy teams come around for a second pass.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

eznark

Banned
Dayne barely had more career rush yards than Bennett. Kind of sad given all Bennett did was have one good year then vanish.

Ya know, looking at their careers neither were terribly huge busts, especially Bennett at the end of the first. Dayne had 28 TD's splitting duty for most of his career and Bennett had injury problems.

Striker

Ya know, looking at their careers neither were terribly huge busts, especially Bennett at the end of the first. Dayne had 28 TD's splitting duty for most of his career and Bennett had injury problems.
Dayne was probably predictably used under Fassel/Payton. 3rd and 1? Get ready to stack the line, here comes Ron!

Didn't help Ernie Accorsi ignored drafting decent OL for the longest time.

On the Giants front today, hopefully they target some CB and DL help. Evidently Reese and the scouts weren't very impressed by early set of corners being chosen at #19.

Draxal

Dayne was probably predictably used under Fassel/Payton. 3rd and 1? Get ready to stack the line, here comes Ron!

Didn't help Ernie Accorsi ignored drafting decent OL for the longest time.

On the Giants front today, hopefully they target some CB and DL help. Evidently Reese and the scouts weren't very impressed by early set of corners being chosen at #19.

He was soft, he would go down before tacklers even hit him. It's part of the reason everybody fell in love with Jacobs when he came to the Giants, he was the opposite of Dayne.

OL version of JJ Watt.

I can imagine Jerry sitting in his throne thinking aloud "That Wisconsin guy the Texans got turned out to be a damn good player. We need a Wisconsin guy."

GM: ...but sir, this Center is a 3rd rounder at best, we can take him later....

Jerry:"NON SENSE! DO WHAT JERRY TELLS YOU!! GIVE TONY ROMO A 10 YEAR BILLION DOLLAR EXTENTION!! HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAW!!!!" *Fires 6 shooter in the air*

Thats totally how it happened

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I can imagine Jerry sitting in his throne thinking aloud "That Wisconsin guy the Texans got turned out to be a damn good player. We need a Wisconsin guy."

Jerry:"NON SENSE! DO WHAT JERRY TELLS YOU!! GIVE TONY ROMO A 10 YEAR BILLION DOLLAR EXTENTION!! HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAW!!!!" *Fires 6 shooter in the air*

More like:

"I've won three Super Bowls so I know what I'm doing!"

squicken

More like:

"I've won three Super Bowls so I know what I'm doing!"

Like I said, the night before the draft he was at a CFB Championship party, and the morning of the draft he was at the Presidential Library thing.

It's not like it's a terrible pick, it's just that he didn't really get enough to miss out on the safety they had ranked highest

jergrah

Talks between Cleveland and Miami for Bess apparently heating up. Hate to see him go, really good slot guy and a great UDFA pickup. His contract next season is too high though.

Hopefully Fins get at least a 5th.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Jets trying to trade up to take a QB according to Schefter.
No thanks. I'm not impressed with any of the QB's this year. I'd rather they reload the rest of the offense and worry about the QB next year. They're stuck with Sanchez this year anyway, and I don't need anyone learning anything from Mark Sanchez.

Still wouldn't mind the Giants taking him in the second if he falls. The upside is too enticing.

Thanks for the info on Sio Moore earlier, too guys. I was going to ask about him but Ez beat me to it.

As to the Cowboys, I don't have an issue with the pick. They needed a center. I think more of the issue is what they got for trading down. A third? I mean, yeah.

What does Smith even have going for him?

Has to improve accuracy, doesn't have the greatest legs. Average size for the position.

A lot of screen passes and not a ton of normal progressions like the pro style requires

I mean wtf

squicken

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn
Based on my random survey of five teams, here is where Cowboys No. 1 Travis Frederick was on draft boards: 4th (1), 5th (2), 6 (1), 6-7 (1)

the fact hes not mark sanchez

You can do better in the 4th round on someone like Renfree. Geno won't ever make it. Guy who turn it over in college don't magically get better ball security in the pros

Colasante

Not fair that you all get to post pictures of your shiny new players and all of us Patriots fans have nothing. We don't even have an RG3 or a Percy Harvin we can feel good about right now.

I'm also still onboard with Tank Carradine in the 2nd round. His tape is so strong I don't care if he has to open on PUP or even if he's stuck on IR.

MechDX

Skeletor1.jpg

Now it is complete

If that's their criteria, I'd rather they just take a flyer on someone in the later rounds and see if they get lucky.

There's no QB that the Jets could take that wouldn't be a reach. Suffer in silence with Sanchez and wait until next year.

Jets won't do that, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom