• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Thomas didn't do anything for us. I'm sure we could have signed someone off the street to produce as little as he did.

We could have had Jones or Okafor with that pick...

I think I could've been wrong cause as I'm watching NFLN we have the upcoming pick. Must've made a trade or maybe swapped picks with the Jags.

But yeah I agree, the Mike Thomas trade was probably the worst trade or move Martin Mayhew has done since he took over in 2009. We could've gotten someone else for much cheaper at that point but Mayhew thought that Mike Thomas' lack of production was due to Blaine Gabbert, not him being a horrible route runner with no speed.

Mayhew has made some great trades like trading Roy Williams to the Cowboys for a 1st and 3rd round pick, and getting Chris Houston from the Falcons for a 6th round pick (our current #1 DB) but that Mike Thomas trade was horrible.

Chip Kelly on Matt Barkely in 2011:

“This is why I love you guys (the media),” Kelly said. “This is exactly what I said: In the games that we have played, against all the quarterbacks we played, Barkley played the best against us … I also qualified (my statement) and said, I’m not saying he’s better than Andrew Luck, I’m not saying Andrew Luck is better than him, I’m saying in the games against the Ducks, the best quarterback performance was Matt Barkley’s.”

Starks has to be gone. Definitely not resigning Benson.

I like this pick much better than Lacy. It's just a shame (retroactively of course) that we took Lacy with our 2nd round pick when this is a great value. The two in tandem is whats pissing me off
I think they'll keep more RBs, so Starks may not be gone. The dude needs to figure out a way to stay healthy though.

Benson won't make it past camp, and Grant will probably pinch hit again.

eznark

Banned
I think they'll keep more RBs, so Starks may not be gone. The dude needs to figure out a way to stay healthy though.

Benson won't make it past camp, and Grant will probably pinch hit again.

Starks and Green are gone.
They'll hold onto these linemen as both are potential projects and dump RBs. With Kuhn they'll keep 4. That's plenty.

Doorman

Devin Taylor, defensive end from South Carolina.

...Well, sure. Welcome to the team! We certainly do need more line players so I won't complain about that one bit.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Detroit takes Devin Taylor DE from South Carolina with pick #132. Have to read up on him but I like taking SEC talent this late in the draft.

JABEE

I hope Chip Kelly isn't basing all of his picks on how well these players did against the Oregon Ducks. I'm sure he's looking at everything, but there seems to be a pattern developing.

squicken

SF can redshirt Lattimore and Tank if need be, and then just reload in 2014. They are well run. Of course they totally blew the Jenkins pick, so these could also be huge mistakes

Who takes Swope? Seems like he could develop into a good receiver. 4.34 - 40.

Concussion issues. Lots of guys who look good are getting flagged for medicals

cdyhybrid

Harper is a big receiver. I like it. More depth and competition. Plus some of the guys we already have on the roster could be gone in a year or two.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I switch over to ESPN since NFL Network crew is on a break and am greeted by Te'o. Ugh... this shit needs to stop.

Draconian

Chip Kelly on Matt Barkely in 2011:

“This is why I love you guys (the media),” Kelly said. “This is exactly what I said: In the games that we have played, against all the quarterbacks we played, Barkley played the best against us … I also qualified (my statement) and said, I’m not saying he’s better than Andrew Luck, I’m not saying Andrew Luck is better than him, I’m saying in the games against the Ducks, the best quarterback performance was Matt Barkley’s.”

If he said that after 2011, he must've loved him after last year.

Jones is the perfect backup there. Smart guy that can make all the throws but needs to be able to sit and watch pro game

btw great trade for CLE getting a 3rd in 2014. Not the best thing the Steelers ever did

Our FO is failing us at this point. Not sure about this draft, frankly. We are old and slow on D. We grab a LB in the 1st whose injury puts a big question mark on him. We pick a RB (a legit need) and another WR (not sure we shouldn't have gone D there). I like the trade to grab Shamarko if he's the best guy on your board, and it's a position of need (I'm not sure we have any safeties on the roster besides Troy and Clark right now).

But then QB? We just signed Gradkowski. I guess Jones is a 3rd string developmental guy, but when there are gaping holes on the defensive side of the ball, wouldn't you go for depth there vs. depth at QB? It's baffling, quite frankly.

The worst possible news is that this draft confirms William Gay as the day 1 starter at CB #2. Open the floodgates, ladies and gents. Gay's side of the field is open for business.

Nothing about this draft suggests Pittsburgh will do any better than 6-10 unless their competition suffers massive injuries that allow us to play vs. a bunch of backups.

Godslay

Banned
Concussion issues. Lots of guys who look good are getting flagged for medicals

Saw that. Slipping pretty far though. 5-7 seems like good territory to take risks if you can afford it. Concussions are a different beast though, so I can see why teams would shy away from players with a history.

Doorman

So based on the little clips I've been reading from the NFL, Devin Taylor is basically an unusually-tall D-end who could potentially fill out to become a real monster, but has issues with his pad level (thanks Marinelli!) being too high off the snap.

Sounds like an ideal "project" guy that next year's new coaching staff could really mold into a pretty fearsome pass-rusher!

Liking the Lions pick. Devin Taylor looked solid last year despite being overshadowed.

I'd rather draft a bunch of SEC players than Oklahoma players like last year...

squicken

Get Tebow on that team and it could be something with Denard too

Nothing about this draft suggests Pittsburgh will do any better than 6-10 unless their competition suffers massive injuries that allow us to play vs. a bunch of backups.

I think you guys are in for trouble as well, but with an elite QB you can always win at least 8 games. Problem is he can't stay healthy. I think Jones is better than Batch and Sandwhich, and can maybe win a game or two in a pinch. He'll let you keep running the full offense at least

Our FO is failing us at this point. Not sure about this draft, frankly. We are old and slow on D. We grab a LB in the 1st whose injury puts a big question mark on him. We pick a RB (a legit need) and another WR (not sure we shouldn't have gone D there). I like the trade to grab Shamarko if he's the best guy on your board, and it's a position of need (I'm not sure we have any safeties on the roster besides Troy and Clark right now).

But then QB? We just signed Gradkowski. I guess Jones is a 3rd string developmental guy, but when there are gaping holes on the defensive side of the ball, wouldn't you go for depth there vs. depth at QB? It's baffling, quite frankly.

The worst possible news is that this draft confirms William Gay as the day 1 starter at CB #2. Open the floodgates, ladies and gents. Gay's side of the field is open for business.

You guys need to get over us having a winning season this year. It's reload time. There's no ILB that the Steelers could draft in the 4th that's gonna fix the defense. We need generational guys, not stopgaps. We need two safeties, never gonna get both in one draft. It's gonna take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom