• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NG: "Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 butchers Spanish language to be “inclusive”"

Toons

The game is full of political statements. Including against guns.
Peter is a NYC citizen and a scientist, no one would expect him to not have an opinion on several subjects.
It adds depth to the character.

Both the article le and -e termination are current proposals to make the Spanish language more inclusive, Insomniac is a pretty diverse studio and inclusiveness is one of the values they have always embraced in their games. More power to them for sticking to it in such measure.

Folks like to criticize corporations for being fake about their values, but then they also get mad when they are genuine about them. Odd.

Last edited:

Fbh

Well Peter seems pretty chill about his friend seemingly having a stroke.

I guess there are no latinos in the dev team. Or they are silenced

It's probably the latter.
The issues with the "culture" being fostered in these companies is that even if there are latinos in the team who do think this shit is stupid they probably won't speak up. Because do you really want to be the person speaking up against "inclusive language" in a woke company like Insomniac?

How do people in Spain, Mexico, Argentina feel about this generally speaking? It's wild that we're out here butchering people's languages to be 'inclusive' of gender politics. I don't understand it. Didn't hear about any of this even 2 years ago.. what's going on lol?

Here in Chile the vast majority of people just seem to laugh at stuff like this, or use it ironically.
But unsurprisingly there is a mostly far left group of people who actually do like the idea and do unironically use these "gender neutral" words and pronouns

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
People 'get' to do whatever they want or say within the bounds of the law.

There's a particular kind of person who would choose to dehumanise people purely because they think they can get away with it.

Have a think and decide if that's the kind of person you would like to be.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

'They' is fine if you don't know or don't care/want to emphasise the subject's sex.

Though, with the latter it's pretty weird to do it without good reason.
Noob writers sometimes use it when they want to hide the sex of a character, but it makes it pretty obvious what they're trying to do.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
"Woke" art always looks like shit. Murals like these, in this game or the real world, look like they are made by diversity hires.
It’s because propaganda is boring. Like those religious comic books your parents tried to get you to read.

Used to be that, by the time kids reached their teens, they got pretty good at detecting even the faintest hint of propagandistic overt moralizing and would avoid this shit like the plague.

I’d like to think the younger generation will wise up and rebel against it pretty soon but who knows.

Guilty_AI

There's a particular kind of person who would choose to dehumanise people purely because they think they can get away with it.

Have a think and decide if that's the kind of person you would like to be.
Drop the high horse shit. You immediately tried to put on some agressive moral facade against a non-native english speaker, that tell us all we need to know about your intentions.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The whole game is insufferable. A ton of leftist agenda touches here and there.

Which is a shame. I would really love to roam around the city because it's probably the best looking one in the industry right now.

How bad is it?

X-Wing

So, asking for a boycott because the game challenges their view of the world?
Oh, how the tables have turned.
Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Drop the high horse shit. You immediately tried to put on some agressive moral facade against a non-native english speaker, that tell us all we need to know about your intentions.

There's no high horse, it's pretty black and white to me, it's absolutely not a good thing to do to call people "it" - line up on the side that would defend that if you like.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Nope. Just because someone doesn't feel comfortable being referred to as he or she, you don't get to refer to them as "it." It blows my mind that you think that's an appropriate thing to say.

This highlights my issue with this whole argument, and from both sides.

On the one hand, I want to be polite. On the other, I find endless pronoun selection to be both culturally and linguistically destructive.

Where I've landed is assuming that the silliness of the movement (sports inclusion, co-ed prison demands, etc.) has helped establish a ceiling past which the politics won't go - and so being polite won't exacerbate the issues I have.

But I really, really don't ever want anyone to ask me my pronouns. You can go ahead and assume.

Fess

What is it with videogames and pandering?

Who is asking for this dumb shit?
A loud entitled group of people on the internet that nobody want as their enemy because it might give them bad PR.

I watched the Minecraft mob voting show. Every man there had a he/him label after their name even though the names are gendered in this country and they had beard and there is no serious gender politics pushed here. Absurd. A Jens is a man and a Agnes is a woman, 100%, no he/him detail is needed, a real trans person would’ve changed their name, and shaved their beard.

brian0057

Banned
This highlights my issue with this whole argument, and from both sides.

On the one hand, I want to be polite. On the other, I find endless pronoun selection to be both culturally and linguistically destructive.

Where I've landed is assuming that the silliness of the movement (sports inclusion, co-ed prison demands, etc.) has helped establish a ceiling past which the politics won't go - and so being polite won't exacerbate the issues I have.

But I really, really don't ever want anyone to ask me my pronouns. You can go ahead and assume.
The whole pronouns thing is stupid.
First, when using third person pronouns, the subject in question isn't part of the conversation.
Second, when the subject is part of the conversation, he or she is addressed with the second person "you".
And third, isn't the point in transitioning to arrive at your destination? Why are we using a plural pronoun instead? Is it because they (plural, not singular) know they'll never truly be able to arrive at said destination?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
So, asking for a boycott because the game challenges their view of the world?
Oh, how the tables have turned.
Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF
“Boycott” is taking it a little too far but I get the sentiment.

Personally I’m fine playing something that makes me uncomfortable or challenges my viewpoints. But when it’s obvious they went out of their way to fill it with overt moralizing and preaching then that crosses the line, regardless whether they’re promoting a viewpoint I agree with or not. No thanks.

But hey, if that’s the kind of writing you like in your video games, if you enjoy consuming propaganda (provided it’s in support of positions you believe in), knock yourself out I guess.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Inclusion matters but this game shovels it in and does it in a very disingenuous way.

Proof? They used the wrong flag for Miles. Cuban I believe. A mistake like that wouldn’t happen under a passionate true attempt. Under the helm of woke agenda shit though of course it gets missed.

I was speaking high of Insomniac prior to release, and still think they are amazing but this shit needs to be done in a quality over quantity way. Every other person Peter or Miles interacts with is trying to tick off a box. Black cat is a lesbian, Hailey is mute/deaf, people you rescue are gay, and so on and so forth.

This stuff doesn’t bother me for the fact but when it is done poorly and in droves it becomes jarring.

X-Wing

“Boycott” is taking it a little too far but I get the sentiment.

Personally I’m fine playing something that makes me uncomfortable or challenges my viewpoints. But when it’s obvious they went out of their way to fill it with overt moralizing and preaching then that crosses the line, regardless whether they’re promoting a viewpoint I agree with or not. No thanks.

But hey, if that’s the kind of writing you like in your video games, if you enjoy consuming propaganda (provided it’s in support of positions you believe in), knock yourself out I guess.

I'm having a blast with the game.
And having an extra blast watching internet edge lords behaving exactly like the snowflakes they so fiercely hate.

DryvBy

This game is a little woke. Honestly some of its just so shoehorned in I wish it would have had a boycott so future Spidey games don't have this junk in it in the future.

Unless Spider-man is deaf, in a wheelchair, gender pan or whatever other make believe term, and mixed race, I don't want to hear about inclusion.

StueyDuck

Since I am not Spanish descent nor do I speak it, I can't truly say if this is bad or not, I will say though, the rate at which English is being slaughtered on a daily basis to the point where someone like Cardi-B can barely string a complete sentence together, I am not surprised other languages are being destroyed too by modernism.

As south park says though, welcome to the panderverse 🤣 it's only going to get worse in gaming.

How do people in Spain, Mexico, Argentina feel about this generally speaking? It's wild that we're out here butchering people's languages to be 'inclusive' of gender politics. I don't understand it. Didn't hear about any of this even 2 years ago.. what's going on lol?
It sounds weird. Nobody speaks like that here. If I hear somebody speaking like that is cause he is a politician or an activist. And even they use it sparingly

Since I am not Spanish descent nor do I speak it, I can't truly say if this is bad or not, I will say though, the rate at which English is being slaughtered on a daily basis to the point where someone like Cardi-B can barely string a complete sentence together, I am not surprised other languages are being destroyed too by modernism.

As south park says though, welcome to the panderverse 🤣 it's only going to get worse in gaming.
I think what happened here is the script was written in english, and there you write entomologist the same, whether it´s a male, a female or something else. So they didn´t know that when translated to spanish it would sound very political in a country where the nonbinary movement is almost inexistent.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Yeah sure we'll see an instant reaction from a 0.00001% decline in sales. Real effective strategy.
That’s usually what weak people usually say. By weak i mean weak to resist the urge to play latest games or get the latest product.

Boycott is usually one of the most effective ways to show companies your dissatisfaction.

Like what happened to BUDLIGHT, Disneys stock crash etc etc. There’s alot of example were boycott is really effective.

Do your part even if it’s 0.0001% and stop being a little bitch about it. That is if you even care.

Last edited:

RobRSG

Trying to understand what’s going on here?

Miles is milhas
Morales isn’t morals nor moralist

What I mean to say is that guy is dumb, and he writes awful portuguese with a lot of errors.
He probably thinks he made a funny joke.

“Um babaca do caralho”, so to say.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This game is a little woke. Honestly some of its just so shoehorned in I wish it would have had a boycott so future Spidey games don't have this junk in it in the future.

Unless Spider-man is deaf, in a wheelchair, gender pan or whatever other make believe term, and mixed race, I don't want to hear about inclusion.
Yeah right don’t give them any ideas.

Next Spider-Man game: it’s the future, Peter Parker is now a rich old heterosexual white man who has abandoned his ideals and embodies everything he once stood against, and he’s a pedophile.

You play as a young, female, differently-abled BIPOC who takes up the role of Spider-Person. She teams up with a group of diverse pan-gendered Mary Sues as they set out on a mission to demolish Spider-Man’s legacy and pay off their student loans.

Hunnybun

That’s usually what weak people usually say. By weak i mean weak to resist the urge to play latest games or get the latest product.

Boycott is usually one of the most effective ways to show companies your dissatisfaction.

Like what happened to BUDLIGHT, Disneys stock crash etc etc. There’s alot of example were boycott is really effective.

Do your part even if it’s 0.0001% and stop being a little bitch about it. That is if you even care.

Yeah so just the small matter of organising the other million or so people it would take!

Sounds straightforward enough.

Madflavor

Gold Member
I see Woke Colonialism strikes again.

I feel confident that decades from now history will look back on this time period and people will talk about how deeply and insanely racist the Woke Progressive Left was, and it'll seen as an embarrassing period for the Left. Forcing ideologies into other cultures, shaming races from sharing and indulging in each other's cultures (cultural appropriation) and Anti-Semitism will be some examples cited.

Top Bottom