• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NG+ |OT| NeoGaf+ For posts that don't fit anywhere else

*Nightwing

Banned
I don't think it's ever acceptable to wish death or harm to others. Anyone feeling this way about Trump (or any person) should not be welcome here. Nor should those types of comments.

These fanatic types will post those remarks regardless of whether or not the topic is allowed. We don't need to set traps for them.
Totally didn’t mean to associate you or anyone else with it to then feel the need to state the obvious to defend themselves. Nothing you said warrants having to clarify the fact you're a (relatively) sane individual

I honestly don’t care if they get removed from here or not, sunlight is the best disinfectant and we now know how unreasonable the foundational of logic of those posters are and it will reflect on any future discussion they attempt here.

“Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”
VS
“Words ARE violence”

Biff

I don't understand why a video game forum is the appropriate place to discuss politics in the first place. The topic is far too toxic and an assassination attempt points to the topic getting worse before it gets better. We've all got alternate places and avenues to discuss.

What possible good for GAF can come from the discussion?
I don't think that's true though.

Facebook is pure cancer; I deleted my account years ago.
Reddit is extreme left; impossible to have any reasonable discourse. I even tried r/NeutralNews and it is hilariously nowhere close to neutral.
Twitter is infested with bots and disinformation. Tweets are a megaphone and not a functional way to have a conversation.

Maybe I'm a sad jaded Millennial but I honestly don't have another digital forum I trust to discuss this. Yes - I've talked about it at the dinner table with my family - but they are my family. I likely have the same biases as them and don't even know it. And there's no way in HELL I'm going within 400 feet of this topic at work. Career suicide speedrun.

Internet 1.0 BBforums are literally perfect for this type of long-form discussion. Having a forum with reasonable centrist moderation like NeoGAF allows people who lack non-toxic forums to discuss and challenge and learn about major world events like this. And it also serves as an amazing information aggregator where people can add real-time news as it is discovered.

For example - I remember the Dark Knight theatre shooting back in 2012. I happened to be browsing GAF when the thread was started because someone's local Twitter picked up a shooting at a theatre. I learned about it through GAF at least a half hour before any mainstream news source picked it up. That was the power of Old GAF. Anonymous people in a community, sure, but we all value our digital avatars in this community enough not to post outright disinformation intentionally like Twitter.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't think that's true though.

Facebook is pure cancer; I deleted my account years ago.
Reddit is extreme left; impossible to have any reasonable discourse. I even tried r/NeutralNews and it is hilariously nowhere close to neutral.
Twitter is infested with bots and disinformation. Tweets are a megaphone and not a functional way to have a conversation.

Maybe I'm a sad jaded Millennial but I honestly don't have another digital forum I trust to discuss this. Yes - I've talked about it at the dinner table with my family - but they are my family. I likely have the same biases as them and don't even know it. And there's no way in HELL I'm going within 400 feet of this topic at work. Career suicide speedrun.

Internet 1.0 BBforums are literally perfect for this type of long-form discussion. Having a forum with reasonable centrist moderation like NeoGAF allows people who lack non-toxic forums to discuss and challenge and learn about major world events like this. And it also serves as an amazing information aggregator where people can add real-time news as it is discovered.

For example - I remember the Dark Knight theatre shooting back in 2012. I happened to be browsing GAF when the thread was started because someone's local Twitter picked up a shooting at a theatre. I learned about it through GAF at least a half hour before any mainstream news source picked it up. That was the power of Old GAF. Anonymous people in a community, sure, but we all value our digital avatars in this community enough not to post outright disinformation intentionally like Twitter.
I don’t ever recall a time where I would consider the political discourse on here as moderate tbh. I don’t even know how you would create dialog that avoids the extremism on an online forum. Given there doesn’t seem to be a good community one can point to as an example, I don’t know that Gaf can be that.

I tend to keep my politics to myself and a few close people IRL. I genuinely miss the days when religion and politics are taboo in public. Regardless, killing people we have disagreements on is not what anyone should want for a functioning society.

Nydius

I would like to apologize up front if I’m a bit testy in responses, I am not adjusting well to a higher dose of Buspirone. Not that I expect anyone to really care, just thought I’d apologize anyway.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Bye bye Dr. Claus Dr. Claus

Leaving See You Later GIF by ABC Network

Thaedolus

I don’t think he liked me much either based on some deleted messages and their comments…but alas, forum talk can be fraught with misunderstandings and I’d probably get along with him IRL quite swimmingly.

I will be perpetually tired in your absence young laddie

Hrk69

Gold Member
I've been playing Football Manager all day and night

It's 6 in the morning and I'm debating if I should sleep or not

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
It's nice to wake up and see the "Your annual pay raise is ready" email in your inbox. About to check it .....

Edit: .... and the Payroll department forgot to post it into Workday. Figures. Guess I'll check again this afternoon.

Last edited:

Nydius

I finally have air conditioning again, praise jeebus. Only took almost three weeks.

It also appears to have kicked off a bunch of drama between the actual homeowner and the property management company she hired to manage the place because she reimbursed our rent out of pocket and told us she's not charging us rent for August while she looks for a new property manager.

Three weeks of feeling miserable for two months of free rent? That's an acceptable trade.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Don’t fish around for info about mod accounts or try to expose people. They are kept separate for good reason. If you have problems with a moderator, do contact me and I’ll look into it. Moderators who are found to repeatedly abuse their authority can and will be removed. Thanks.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Daniel Southworth is visiting a local comic book store today. Autographs are $50 and $80 for a selfie and autograph. He is the voice of Vergil from Devil May Cry, but I could buy a game for that price. Vergil is awesome, but I’ll pass.

I took my daughter for pizza and got her some manga instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom