• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 GM Connected Sim League (Xbox 360)

Hilti92

TRADING BLOCK:

Lundqvist G (91)*
Byfuglien D (87)*
Ericsson D (77)
Brouwer RW (78)
Butler RW (75) - 3.5 star yellow
Arnott C (78)
Kadri C (77) - 4 star yellow

SURPLUS - Centers, 3 star yellow

NEEDS/WANTS:

LW 18-25 (75+, 4 star yellow)
LW/RW 18-23 Prospect (4.5 star yellow)
RW 18-23 Prospect (4 star yellow)
D 18-23 Prospect (4 star yellow)
C 18-23 Prospect (4 star yellow)

* Obviously looking for very strong offers

Didn't think you were capable of treating the other trading party with respect! Good for you!

I'd like to get Lundqvist if possible. Take a look at SJ, see if there's anything you're interested in. Also, I think it's the Devils, I always forget.. but whoever has Eric Staal, I sent you an offer on him.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Is there a guide somewhere that explains how what affects development in this game? I could use real-world lessons, but I'd rather know what's actually helpful/detrimental (and what EA hasn't taken into account).

I can only speak from experience within the game (Be a GM was pretty much all I've played), so take what I say with a grain of salt, even though what I've just said before is most likely the case (and I've tested that over about 50 seasons of Be a GM for sure.)

-Playtime is definitely a factor (players get more experience playing more minutes on the 1st line/powerplay/pk)
-How successful the team/player is: a team-win gives more experience than a team-loss, and making the playoffs and being successful in it is even better. (aka If you win the Calder Cup with a Rookie on your first line, he'll get heaps of experience)
-Natural Development, just how likely the player itself is to develop, this is partially indicated by the colour&amount of stars
-Injuries, if your player is injured he not only misses playtime, but he will also risk just losing some development potential in general

These are factors that I'm fairly sure about play a role. I am NOT sure how much their "team-likeness", as in, how much they like your team (you're successful, you have a lot of their countrymen, you gave them good contracts, etc) plays a role, so I don't want to speculate on that too much.

And obviously, there's also some good old random luck involved.

Overall, it's a LOT like you "feel like it should be", with the random "EA factor" in it. If that helps. There's probably way more detailed guides out there with actual numbers behind it, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

EDIT: Oh, also: Don't put too much pressure on rookies. If you put a 75 Skill rookie on your first line NHL and he keeps getting crushed (stats-wise, hits against him, negative +-, etc), he WON'T develop well. That's one of the reasons I don't sign Rookies until I know they're fit for the AHL. I rather have them be happy and get good stats in the Juniors than get terrible ratings in the AHL, because they won't develop well.

Socreges

Banned
I can only speak from experience within the game (Be a GM was pretty much all I've played), so take what I say with a grain of salt, even though what I've just said before is most likely the case (and I've tested that over about 50 seasons of Be a GM for sure.)

-Playtime is definitely a factor (players get more experience playing more minutes on the 1st line/powerplay/pk)
-How successful the team/player is: a team-win gives more experience than a team-loss, and making the playoffs and being successful in it is even better. (aka If you win the Calder Cup with a Rookie on your first line, he'll get heaps of experience)
-Natural Development, just how likely the player itself is to develop, this is partially indicated by the colour&amount of stars
-Injuries, if your player is injured he not only misses playtime, but he will also risk just losing some development potential in general

These are factors that I'm fairly sure about play a role. I am NOT sure how much their "team-likeness", as in, how much they like your team (you're successful, you have a lot of their countrymen, you gave them good contracts, etc) plays a role, so I don't want to speculate on that too much.

And obviously, there's also some good old random luck involved.

Overall, it's a LOT like you "feel like it should be", with the random "EA factor" in it. If that helps. There's probably way more detailed guides out there with actual numbers behind it, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

EDIT: Oh, also: Don't put too much pressure on rookies. If you put a 75 Skill rookie on your first line NHL and he keeps getting crushed (stats-wise, hits against him, negative +-, etc), he WON'T develop well. That's one of the reasons I don't sign Rookies until I know they're fit for the AHL. I rather have them be happy and get good stats in the Juniors than get terrible ratings in the AHL, because they won't develop well.
Is there even any way of knowing how my AHL team is doing in GM Connected? I could put a guy on the AHL roster, but then I wouldn't know anything more about what's happening with them, correct?

Thanks for the info.

mibupe, sent you a PM. But I don't think you've got anything that works for my team.

MacAttack

Thanks for the lesson, Smiley. It is much appreciated as this is my first time playing an NHL franchise mode and as usual EA's documentation is lacking.

Smiley90

Is there even any way of knowing how my AHL team is doing in GM Connected? I could put a guy on the AHL roster, but then I wouldn't know anything more about what's happening with them, correct?

Thanks for the info.

mibupe, sent you a PM. But I don't think you've got anything that works for my team.

Yeaaah, I was a bit surprised to see that we have no control over our AHL team, because that's a big part of Be a GM... so far, I don't think there is a way, they probably wanted to streamline it.. and imagine loading times with TWO leagues to load.

A tip: Don't put Veterans in the AHL, because they AI will most likely put them on the first two lines (because they're quite good) ahead of rookies that need playtime. (e.g. a 32 year old 75 LW will be on the 1st while a 20 year old 74 will be on the second) You want your prospects to get playtime, and who cares if the 32 year old doesn't get playtime (because he won't develop anymore anyway). So if you have the cap space, it's always a good idea to keep older players on your NHL roster and just scratch them. (It also allows the AI to fill roles without juggling around AHL/NHL roster callups, since it'll always go for already-NHL-players first to fill in for injured players)

Thanks for the lesson, Smiley. It is much appreciated as this is my first time playing an NHL franchise mode and as usual EA's documentation is lacking.

No worries, let me know if you have more questions. I've played way too much Be a GM :(

Socreges

Banned
Thanks, Smiley. One more Q:

Injured players that CAN play, but probably shouldn't (stats down and more susceptible to re-injury?). Would make sense to sit them and have someone in their place, but once they're healed wouldn't they continue to be on the bench until the games are simmed and you can put them back in?

Smiley90

Thanks, Smiley. One more Q:

Injured players that CAN play, but probably shouldn't (stats down and more susceptible to re-injury?). Would make sense to sit them and have someone in their place, but once they're healed wouldn't they continue to be on the bench until the games are simmed and you can put them back in?

The first part is definitely correct, better to let them sit out their full injury. Now, I'm not sure how the AI handles it, BUT usually when a player comes back from injury, in normal
GM mode the AI gives you the option to edit your lines/do best lines with a notice. Since in GM Connected the AI seems to always do "best lines" when someone gets injured, I'm very tempted to say it also does "best lines" as soon as someone gets back from injury. There's really an easy way to test this though - if one of your players is injured now, check next period (if he'a healthy now) if the AI put him back in the lineup. If yes, they do it automatically, if not, then not.

I'm pretty sure they just automatically do best lines as soon as someone is either injured OR back from injury.

Smiley90

So Soc has turned into Smiley v2.

I still don't know what your issue with me posting is. I post in the GM threads, the NHL thread and my own EASHL thread. No idea what's wrong with that, they're all relevant to me. And if I can help cheer up people your team has disgruntled I'll also post in there, but that's about it.
?

Just want the info.

He's complained about me "posting in too many NHL threads" before. -shrug-

Tabris

This is the worst game experience I've ever seen. Takes 5 mins to download competition data so far twice.

Make that every time I go in and out of the hub. Any trick to speeding it up?

Smiley90

This is the worst game experience I've ever seen. Takes 5 mins to download competition data so far twice.

Make that every time I go in and out of the hub. Any trick to speeding it up?

Patience. Streamlining your clicks. Hoping EA will do somet-HAHAHAHAHAH couldn't even finish that sentence.

Fuck. Landeskog is injured. That's three from my top 9 that are out on IR. What's with the shitty injury sim? The game must think everyone is Sami Salo.

Also Caps stole 1b. :(

MacAttack

Fuck. Landeskog is injured. That's three from my top 9 that are out on IR. What's with the shitty injury sim? The game must think everyone is Sami Salo.

Also Caps stole 1b. :(
I read somewhere that they were going to reduce the injuries in a patch.

Edit: FML another 40+ game injury to one of my forwards. Luckily it was only Gregory Campbell but Stalberg is already out for 6 weeks.

Uh, that was weird, so before the Sim I was 4-2-2 and only had one game scheduled. Now I'm 5-3-2, no clue how that would have gave me a win and a loss when the schedule only had me play one game...

What is the last result under Box Scores for you?

The 6-0 loss to you (Dang team is falling apart) and then the previous 1-0 loss to the Jets is before that. I'm pretty sure I only had 4 wins because I remember having 10 points before the latest sim (the 2 OT losses gave me the two extra points to reach 10). So I'm trying to figure out how it gave me a win and a loss when the only game I played was the loss to you.

I don't think I'm wrong as I had just checked it before he simmed.

Cake Boss

Banned
I am thinking they want you to be more engaged with throughout the season with all of these injuries, they dont want you to just sit back and sim all your games and do nothing, but to actually have to make trades, signings and call ups to fill the holes left by injuries.

Socreges

Banned
The 6-0 loss to you (Dang team is falling apart) and then the previous 1-0 loss to the Jets is before that. I'm pretty sure I only had 4 wins because I remember having 10 points before the latest sim (the 2 OT losses gave me the two extra points to reach 10). So I'm trying to figure out how it gave me a win and a loss when the only game I played was the loss to you.

I don't think I'm wrong as I had just checked it before he simmed.
I was 5-4 before the sim and had a single game coming up (against you). I'm now 6-5 and the my most recent game was that 6-0 victory.

Apparently they gave you a win over me... yet we didn't have a second game scheduled (though we'd already played earlier in the season) and no result showed up.

I was 5-4 before the sim and had a single game coming up (against you). I'm now 6-5 and the my most recent game was that 6-0 victory.

Apparently they gave you a win over me... yet we didn't have a second game scheduled (though we'd already played earlier in the season) and no result showed up.

Odd, Crosby probably called up Uncle Gary to give us an extra win over you guys in a game we never played, eh, I'll take it.

fake edit: are we still going to try that revised trade for Ericsson, I had sent another revised proposal with a better prospect but I'm unsure of who you might have your eye on for that second player. (I think I threw in Tvrdon in my last proposal).

Tabris

I have the following players on the trading block (can't actually add it to the trading block as my game takes too long and I want to break the remote control)

P.Hornquist
C.Anderson
D.Roy
A.Tanguay
E.Belanger

Any of these players are available for a solid rookie goaltender and draft picks. Let's make something happen.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have the following players on the trading block (can't actually add it to the trading block as my game takes too long and I want to break the remote control)

P.Hornquist
C.Anderson
D.Roy
A.Tanguay
E.Belanger

Any of these players are available for a solid rookie goaltender and draft picks. Let's make something happen.
I have Jack Campbell? But I'll have to be blow away to trade him. Pretty much depending on him to become my future goaltender, and he's 4.5 stars.

Socreges

Banned

P.Hornquist
C.Anderson
D.Roy
A.Tanguay
E.Belanger

And once you (theoretically) trade Anderson for a "solid rookie goaltender", who plays in goal?

Milly79

P.Hornquist
C.Anderson
D.Roy
A.Tanguay
E.Belanger

PM sent.

Tabris

I have Jack Campbell? But I'll have to be blow away to trade him. Pretty much depending on him to become my future goaltender, and he's 4.5 stars.

Wow your team is stacked in terms of trade value. I assume EA's randomization process sucked. Anyways I'm definitely interested. PM me who on that list you would want for Campbell. Don't be like the NHL and come at me with a ridiculous starting offer :p

Also who starts in goal? I'll get some backup veteran goalie for a year contract and play him while my rookie goaltender plays as starter in AHL (or stays in CHL depending)

P.Hornquist
C.Anderson
D.Roy
A.Tanguay
E.Belanger

I offered you a deal.

Tabris

Sorry can you PM me the trade to see if I want to go on xbox and accept it? I'm using iOS companion app right now as I don't have my xbox turned on.

Red_Man

I'll look over your roster tomorrow and let you know if I have anything in mind Tabris. I'm mostly looking for other prospects / picks.

Not taking any roster players for Tabris, going to have to be a prospect / picks swap for Campbell, goes for anyone else who may be interested in him.

Red_Man

Fuck Dallas.
9jIpx.gif

I didn't choose the stacked life, the stacked life chose me.

Merguson

Banned
*8 messages*

*checks*

*8 players on waivers*

So in order to check each one.. i have to go back and forth with this menu?

*declines all players without checking*

that was easy

Smiley90

*8 messages*

*checks*

*8 players on waivers*

that was easy

Check players on the phone, it's what pros do. My roster is full so I can't claim anyone :(

Marvie_3

Banned
*8 messages*

*checks*

*8 players on waivers*

that was easy

I don't even bother looking at them when there's a bunch on waivers. I can't claim anybody anyway.

Top Bottom