• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 GM Connected Sim League (Xbox 360)

Revenant

We all got some shit contracts in the draft

and i bet some of the lesser ones for other teams were put in the minors either on purpose, or by unknowingly by the AI in my case. I'm not advocating people stash 7 million dollar guys there, but i don't see how small salaries being stashed is a big deal.

I want to thank whoever is offer sheeting Sheppard, guy really wasn't all that great last year (had a low number of points and somehow was also one of the worst +/- on my team despite being on a team where 80% of the guys were positive), couldn't believe he went up 3 levels or so. But he is not worth 3.5 million at all, decent depth guy but that is about it. Maybe somehow he will become really good or something but I doubt it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Players with 1-ways have to be waived to go to the minors, with waivers turned off whats stopping us from sending players down who are low rated and over paid? Wade Redden scenario lol

So I don't know if Marvie wants to turn waivers back on just in case or we should be forced to post in here when we send a 1-way contract to the minors in case anyone else wants to take it on for their main club roster

How do we determine which players are better suited for the minors and which should be forced to go through some sort of waivers if you don't want them up with the big club

The problem with waivers on/off isn't that it makes the game "too hard" (would be great), it's that the AI makes TERRIBLE choices on who to send trough waivers and will screw people over brutally.

Smiley90

I need forwards, I have too many damn.

I know that feel... Only I can't just take any from wsox cause I'm over the cap anyway. If anyone wants Dmen for picks, let me know. Trading block is a page back :x

EDIT: Not simmed yet I think.

Socreges

Banned
One of my new signings, Christensen, literally disappeared off my roster between the sims. When I snuck in about 15 min ago he was still there.

Investigating...

One of my trades also mysteriously didn't go through.

Edit - holy Christmas I'm dumb. Forgot that they automatically put some players in the minors. Weird choice tho

Smiley90

Yes. Season 2 starts tonight.

So wait, the games that are coming up are preseason, right? and then regular season starts after next sim?

Gotta take all my players out of the team so they don't get half-season injuries in the preseason.

Smiley90

There is no preseason.

oh, sweet, less chance for players to get injured. I won't complain. Gotta just sort out my cap situation then, although the AI already adjusted that for me, just gotta juggle players.

Socreges

Banned
Awesome. Carle (WSH) and Seguin (CBJ) were placed in the minors because their teams were over the cap.

Smiley, if by "juggle players" you mean put another 1-way or two down in the minors... that shouldn't be allowed. You should have to trade to make the space as you would as a real GM.

Smiley90

Awesome. Carle (WSH) and Seguin (CBJ) were placed in the minors because their teams were over the cap.

Smiley, if by "juggle players" you mean put another 1-way or two down in the minors... that shouldn't be allowed. You should have to trade to make the space as you would as a real GM.

Well, technically, a real GM could do the same thing? And I've been trying to make trades, I'm pretty sure like 50% of my posts on the last 2 pages on here were about that, as well as PM's I sent out.

As it is, for 1way's in minors after roster moves, I only have 2 "potential starters" in the minors, Ranger (79, would be my 7th D anyway though) and Armstrong (78, could potentially be my 12th forward). Bonino is on a 1way too, but he sucks and if I were a real GM I'd just send him through Waivers. If someone wants to take Ranger or Armstrong off my hands, have at it. I've been trying to do trades this whole time :lol, I didn't know the game was gonna let me go over cap with signings.

I'll just try work out a trade with an AI team, if noone here is interested (which it looks like), if that's allowed.

Socreges

Banned
Well, technically, a real GM could do the same thing? And I've been trying to make trades, I'm pretty sure like 50% of my posts on the last 2 pages on here were about that, as well as PM's I sent out.

As it is, for 1way's in minors after roster moves, I only have 2 "potential starters" in the minors, Ranger (79, would be my 7th D anyway though) and Armstrong (78, could potentially be my 12th forward). Bonino is on a 1way too, but he sucks and if I were a real GM I'd just send him through Waivers. If someone wants to take Ranger or Armstrong off my hands, have at it. I've been trying to do trades this whole time :lol, I didn't know the game was gonna let me go over cap with signings.

I'll just try work out a trade with an AI team, if noone here is interested (which it looks like), if that's allowed.
Don't mean to fault you since I know you weren't expecting it, but just allowing people to stuff 1-ways (that they wouldnt otherwise waive) in the minors creates a bad precedent. Just keep trying to trade.

Smiley90

Okay, made a trade with AI-controlled Colorado for Cap purposes. It didn't include any draft picks to make things fair and not a complete AI-fuckover. The trade was:

Armstrong (78 RW, 3.5star, 30 years old, 2.625MIO)
Ranger (79 D, 3star, 29 years old, 2.750MIO) (was green, so they wanted him)

for

Rutkowski (65 D, 3.5star, 21 years old, 0.660MIO) (was red, so they wanted to get rid of him)
Wilson (66 LW, 2.5stars, 27 years old, 0.585MIO (I just added their worst rookie to even out player-numbers)

I probably overpayed, since I'm trading away 2 established but not terribly old players with also combined more stars, but at least I'm getting a decent Rookie back. Wilson is on a 1way, but he sucks, so now I really only have 2 players on 1way-contracts in minors, and they both aren't good and would just go through waivers, like a normal GM.

Happy now? :D Now please analyze every other roster for 1way players in minors too. ;)

EDIT: For what it's worth, I understand what you mean by creating a bad precedent, which is why I've been trying to trade for the past few days, just nothing's been working out. I'll be more careful with offers next free agency for sure, like I said, that's never happened to me before that the game would let me go over cap oO.

Socreges

Banned
Easy, tiger. You said the AI sorted it out so I was curious how. Putting a $6m superstar in the AHL is a great way to do it.

And you were trying to trade... but to free up space? I offered you prospects for Galiardi and you asked for Oshie (that would have cost you MORE) ! You'd be surprised at how easy it is to shed salary if you're willing to take prospects/picks from people.

And aren't Ranger and Armstrong two of the dozen FAs that you (accidentally) signed to put you over in the first place? Just be happy that you've gotten a couple prospects for free that you would've never had if the game had worked properly in the first place. :p

Well my team is set, overall we are much better than we were last year but knowing EA that will mean that we will probably suck. Anyways, here is my opening day roster if others want to post theirs also:

Code:
        LW                        C                       RW
D. Heatley (SNP, 86)     S. Crosby (PLY, 96)        B. Wheeler (PWF, 83)
A. Semin (SNP, 83)       M. Perreault (PLY, 81)     N. Gerbe (PLY, 84)
R. Jones (TWF, 80)       B. Schenn (TWF, 79)        S. Couturier (TWF, 78)
T. Kubalik (SNP, 75)     M. Tedenby (PLY, 74)       N. Zherdev (SNP, 75)

RD                            LD
N. Hjalmarsson (DFD, 83)     K. Shattenkirk (TWD, 87)
R. Klesla (DFD. 83)          L. Visnovsky (OFD, 82)
W. Mitchell (DFD, 81)        D. Orlov (OFD, 78)

G
J. Halak (HYB, 85)
J. Giguere (BUT, 77)

Edit: And remaining cap is: 2.555 M
I also have a lot of D depth with guys who are 75+ in the minors in case of injures (Yes, most are actual minor league depth guys I believe), so I think I am doing just fine if my D-men start going down, same could be said for my offense just not as high quality of minor depth.

Cake Boss

Banned
I proposed a few to you for a pick to put me under the cap.

I didn't get nothing sox. I see you have Carole in the minors, I wouldn't mind trading one of my DFD and something else for Carole since I desperately need an OFD.

Edit:LOLOLOL SAN JOSE actually gave Iginla that contract he was asking for lol. Good luck with his 40 point season.

Socreges

Banned
I didn't get nothing sox. I see you have Carole in the minors, I wouldn't mind trading one of my DFD and something else for Carole since I desperately need an OFD.
Because you were passed out on the floor when it was sent

And because trade offers are erased when the schedule is simmed forward.

Code:
Kovalchuk 90 Henrique 81 Gaborik 89
Umberger 83 O'Reilly 81 MacArthur 84
Prust 76 Colborne 77 Weise 77
Omak 75 Galchenyuk 63 Gallagher 67

Bogosian 85 Gilbert 85
Martinez 83 Brewer 83
Holden 74 Tinordi 71

Strange that it put Galchenyuk and Gallagher on the main club......

I could have sworn I had another mid-70s centre yesterday

theRizzle

I want to thank whoever is offer sheeting Sheppard, guy really wasn't all that great last year (had a low number of points and somehow was also one of the worst +/- on my team despite being on a team where 80% of the guys were positive), couldn't believe he went up 3 levels or so. But he is not worth 3.5 million at all, decent depth guy but that is about it. Maybe somehow he will become really good or something but I doubt it.

I needed a top 6 guy and missed out on all the forwards I offered in FA, so I figured it is worth a shot. If he's terrible, I think it's only a 2 year deal anyways. I was willing to sacrifice a 2nd for some immediate help.

Hopefully it works out for both of us.

I needed a top 6 guy and missed out on all the forwards I offered in FA, so I figured it is worth a shot. If he's terrible, I think it's only a 2 year deal anyways. I was willing to sacrifice a 2nd for some immediate help.

Hopefully it works out for both of us.

No, hopefully the 2nd round pick turns into the next Datsyuk, and Sheppard sucks it up and falls back on hookers and blow thus ruining your team for the next 2 years!! :p

Tabris

Hey guys. I was playing with the interface and ended up simming a game. It was just against a computer team and doesn't matter, but just incase you were wondering why there was a game played already.

I moved Yakupov to minors for the year. I hate that even though Yakupov is absolutely stacked on the offensive stats, it looks at the Overall value to determine best lines.

theRizzle

220px-Toronto_Maple_Leafs_Logo_1939_-_1967.svg.png

Toronto Maple Leafs 13-14 Opening Day Roster

J. Neal (85) - D. Krecji (85) - C. Hagelin (80)
D. Jeffrey (80) - P. Berglund (83) - J. Sheppard (80)
D. Bowman (77) - C. Smith (80) - N. Palmieri (76)
D. King (72) - M. Rupp (76) - A. Shaw (72)

J. Johnson (86) - D. Doughty (87)
R. Regehr (83) - K. Russell (81)
J. Garrison (81) - R. Ellis (76)

L. Irving (83)
S. Bobrovsky (81)

Smiley90

Easy, tiger. You said the AI sorted it out so I was curious how. Putting a $6m superstar in the AHL is a great way to do it.

And you were trying to trade... but to free up space? I offered you prospects for Galiardi and you asked for Oshie (that would have cost you MORE) ! You'd be surprised at how easy it is to shed salary if you're willing to take prospects/picks from people.

And aren't Ranger and Armstrong two of the dozen FAs that you (accidentally) signed to put you over in the first place? Just be happy that you've gotten a couple prospects for free that you would've never had if the game had worked properly in the first place. :p

A promising young 2nd liner isn't really the person I wanna get rid of for a salary dump, eap when he has space on my team :p Also, I was asking for Connolly, who would've had less salary ;) I was trying to trade away about 9/10 mio in cap for a player with around 6 mio in cap, but alas, nothing worked out. And I didn't wanna just PM everyone "want x for picks" and noone had approached me here :p

So I got one prospect in return who has less stars than 7 of my d-men, we'll see if he ever sees the league :p

Socreges

Banned
BJ, you're going to send Galchenyuk down, right? 63 ovr and a 3m cap hit

A promising young 2nd liner isn't really the person I wanna get rid of for a salary dump, eap when he has space on my team :p Also, I was asking for Connolly, who would've had less salary ;) I was trying to trade away about 9/10 mio in cap for a player with around 6 mio in cap, but alas, nothing worked out. And I didn't wanna just PM everyone "want x for picks" and noone had approached me here :p

So I got one prospect in return who has less stars than 7 of my d-men, we'll see if he ever sees the league :p
Anyway, you're not going to be very effective at shedding salary when you're offering up 80ish players and asking for 1st/2nd line forwards and 1st rounders, especially when many people are still filling their 3rd/4th lines with FAs. I know you were trying to both improve your team and get under the cap, but I don't think you were being very realistic. :p

Smiley90

Anyway, you're not going to be very effective at shedding salary when you're offering up 80ish players and asking for 1st/2nd line forwards and 1st rounders, especially when many people are still filling their 3rd/4th lines with FAs. I know you were trying to both improve your team and get under the cap, but I don't think you were being very realistic. :p

I was also offering several 3rd liners and top6 D, only it's easier for me to specifically contact people looking for what I want, than to just message everyone "hey I have depth players I wanna get rid of for picks/prospects", that's what I posted it in this thread for. No response = I kept trying to make a "bigger" trade happen. ;) But since neither of the two was happening, what I did with the AI trade was pretty much the only thing left. If I could've gotten rid of Armstrong/Ranger in a human trade I would've loved to, but alas noone was interested. :D

Also, like I already said, I was offering up deals around 3 4-star players, so at least 2nd line/top4, for a 1st liner. Would've worked in bringing me under the cap just fine. But just didn't wanna happen :p

I'm not necessarily "happy" with the trade I had to make (since I got rid of 2 depth guys for a prospect who will probably never play), but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep things fair.

Socreges

Banned
Plugged my guys into Crazed's template:

Code:
Z. Parise (PLY, 91)      J. Staal (TWF, 85)        T. Oshie (TWF, 84)
C. Kunitz (TWF, 82)      P. Mueller (PLY, 83)      M. Boedker (SNP, 79)
P. O'Sullivan (PLY, 79)  E. Christensen (PLY, 77)  T. Brouwer (GRN, 77)
N. Filatov (SNP, 76)     M. Letestu (PLY, 76)      B. Butler (SNP, 75)
[J. Cheechoo (SNP, 75)], [B. Richardson (TWF, 76)]

LD                        RD
D. Kulikov (TWD, 87)     D. Byfuglien (TWD, 88)
N. Leddy (OFD. 83)       L. Schenn (DFD, 82)
J. Spurgeon (OFD, 79)    A. McQuaid (DFD, 79)
[T. Poti] (OFD, 79)        

G
H. Lundqvist (ELT, 91)
P. Leclaire (HYB, 80)
It's a really young team but they're each signed for 2-5 years so I'm hoping my team is among the best in one or two seasons. I was able to get enough depth to keep Kreider (72), Lander (74), Connolly (74) as my 'top line' in the minors. They'll probably come up a bit when injuries decimate my team, but I'm hoping they develop well for next season.

[edit] $2.875 in cap space

Socreges

Banned
I'm not necessarily "happy" with the trade I had to make (since I got rid of 2 depth guys for a prospect who will probably never play), but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep things fair.
Smallest-Violin.jpg

You shouldn't have had those guys in the first place, right? Balance has been restored to the universe.

Plugged my guys into Crazed's template:

Code:
Z. Parise (PLY, 91)      J. Staal (TWF, 85)        T. Oshie (TWF, 84)
C. Kunitz (TWF, 82)      P. Mueller (PLY, 83)      M. Boedker (SNP, 79)
P. O'Sullivan (PLY, 79)  E. Christensen (PLY, 77)  T. Brouwer (GRN, 77)
N. Filatov (SNP, 76)     M. Letestu (PLY, 76)      B. Butler (SNP, 75)
[J. Cheechoo (SNP, 75)], [B. Richardson (TWF, 76)]

LD                        RD
D. Kulikov (TWD, 87)     D. Byfuglien (TWD, 88)
N. Leddy (OFD. 83)       L. Schenn (DFD, 82)
J. Spurgeon (OFD, 79)    A. McQuaid (DFD, 79)
[T. Poti] (OFD, 79)        

G
H. Lundqvist (ELT, 91)
P. Leclaire (HYB, 80)
It's a really young team but they're each signed for 2-5 years so I'm hoping my team is among the best in one or two seasons. I was able to get enough depth to keep Kreider (72), Lander (74), Connolly (74) as my 'top line' in the minors. They'll probably come up a bit when injuries decimate my team, but I'm hoping they develop well for next season.

[edit] $2.875 in cap space

Ahhh... You like my template :3

Anyways, your top D pairing is pretty good. Wish Hjalmarsson would have actually grew even though he had a great season. Then he might have been closer to Shattenkirk instead of just an 83.

Socreges

Banned
Ahhh... You like my template :3

Anyways, your top D pairing is pretty good. Wish Hjalmarsson would have actually grew even though he had a great season. Then he might have been closer to Shattenkirk instead of just an 83.
Yeah, but.... he's Hjalmarsson. And 26 years old. McQuaid is the same age and actually got worse (80-79).

Trading for Kulikov was the first thing I did in Connected. He's a perfect fit with Byfuglien. 50 assists last season and has gotten even better.

Yeah, but.... he's Hjalmarsson. And 26 years old. McQuaid is the same age and actually got worse (80-79).

Trading for Kulikov was the first thing I did in Connected. He's a perfect fit with Byfuglien. 50 assists last season and has gotten even better.

I thought you had Kulikov? What was the trade you did for him?

Smiley90

I thought you had Kulikov? What was the trade you did for him?

Kulikov and a 3rd for Jensen and 2 seconds, that was with me. And, I already had Karlsson as a 1st line OFD, he'd have just been on my 2nd line... because I'm definitely not putting 2 OFD's on the 1st line :lol, too much liability.

I wouldn't have had the cap space to re-sign him anyway, what did you re-sign him for Soc?

Smiley90

Also using Crazed's template, the 2013/14 CBJ's:

Code:
S. Kostitsyn (SNP, 81)     T. Seguin (PLY, 85)        P. Kessel (SNP, 88)
T. Galiardi (TWF, 82)      A. Anisimov (PLY, 84)      M. D'Agostini (SNP, 79)
M. Frattin (TWF, 76)       T. Kennedy (TWF, 80)       G. Brule (SNP, 79)
P. Maroon (PWF, 75)        C. Larose (GRN, 79)        D. Clarkson (GRN, 80)

LD                            RD
E. Karlsson (OFD, 87)      T. Hamonic (DFD, 80)
L. Smid (DFD. 81)          J. Kindl (TWD, 78)
M. Fistric (DFD, 79)       C. Campoli (OFD, 80)

G
O. Pavelec (HYB, 86)
H. Karlsson (BUT, 77)

Most of my team is still young, the oldest out of my top 3 forward lines is Kennedy, and he's only 27... Oldest of my D-men are Fistric/Smid, who are also only 27. Only players on my team above 27 are Clarkson and Larose (and the backup goalie Karlsson), who are 29, 31 and 29 respectively. I'm happy with this team for the next 5 seasons, if everyone gets better and I can re-sign them.

Socreges

Banned
Kulikov and a 3rd for Jensen and 2 seconds, that was with me. And, I already had Karlsson as a 1st line OFD, he'd have just been on my 2nd line... because I'm definitely not putting 2 OFD's on the 1st line :lol, too much liability.

I wouldn't have had the cap space to re-sign him anyway, what did you re-sign him for Soc?
$4.695 for 5 years. He was asking for ~$5 for 3 years and turned down my first $4.3ish offer. No way I was letting him get offer sheeted.

87 overall and 22 years old. TWD (not OFD). He's very good defensively. You resign him and then if you really don't think he pairs well with Karlsson, he's an excellent trading piece.

Will be interesting to look back at this trade in a couple months and see how Jensen, Bigras, ??? are doing.

Smiley90

$4.695 for 5 years. He was asking for ~$5 for 3 years and turned down my first $4.3ish offer. No way I was letting him get offer sheeted.

87 overall and 22 years old. TWD (not OFD). He's very good defensively. You resign him and then if you really don't think he pairs well with Karlsson, he's an excellent trading piece.

Will be interesting to look back at this trade in a couple months and see how Jensen, Bigras, ??? are doing.

Guess he got better, so far you definitely won that trade yeah :p

My problem was gonna be that I really wouldn't have had much space to re-sign him, I had A LOT of players going RFA and didn't wanna lose him to offer sheets, like you said. Felt better to trade him away earlier than lose him to offer sheets/lose my other players. That's a good contract though. I just also had Murray who's also a TWD 4.5star coming up, and was in desperate need for offensive prospects that I had none of at the time.

Looking at it back now, yeah, you won. :D

Smiley90

Tabris, Smiley:

I'm not accepting trades that put one or both(in Smiley's case) teams over the cap.

hu? The trade puts me under the cap I assumed... Or at least close enough to it for it not to be "waiver-rules circumventing". Or is it putting Colorado over the cap? by how much? -confused- They accepted it so I assumed their cap situation was fine, honestly didn't look at their number.

Marvie_3

Banned
Code:
D. Sedin (SNP, 91)        V. Filppula (PLY, 83)        N. Foligno (TWF, 83)
J. Lupul (SNP, 84)        M. Stajan (TWF, 81)          T. Kopecky (TWF, 79)
J. McGinn (TWF, 80)       M. Hanzal (TWF, 79)          M. Hejduk (SNP, 78)
A. Miettinen (TWF, 78)    A. Loktionov (PLY, 78)       J. Fontaine (SNP, 75)

LD                            RD
B. Campbell (OFD, 87)      R. McDonagh (TWD, 86)
K. Alzner (DFD, 84)        D. Seidenberg (DFD, 83)
A. Picard (TWD, 77)        D. Schlemko (TWD, 77)

G
C. Schneider (HYB, 83)
A. Stalock (HYB, 81)
$2.325M in cap space

Marvie_3

Banned
hu? The trade puts me under the cap I assumed... Or at least close enough to it for it not to be "waiver-rules circumventing". Or is it putting Colorado over the cap? by how much? -confused- They accepted it so I assumed their cap situation was fine, honestly didn't look at their number.
It tells you the after-trade cap hits right on the trade screen.

Smiley90

It tells you the after-trade cap hits right on the trade screen.

Yeah but what I'm saying is, I didn't pay much attention to their after-trade cap hit since I assumed they'd just decline it if they were unhappy with it.

Mine can't have been much more than 500k over cap, which I considered negligible since I have 2 crappy 1ways in minors that are responsible for that. And they can't be much more than 500k over cap either since at the beginning of the trade they had like 3.5 mio in space? or 4? I don't remember well, but I picked one of the AI teams with most cap space available.

Top Bottom