• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 GM Connected Sim League (Xbox 360)

Socreges

Banned
Smiley, I sent you a PM. Philly (CPU) has $9m in cap space and needs a RW or two.

Not seeing the problem here. The game glitched and you got 2 or 3 UFAs that you never should have. Just give them to a CPU team that could use them and we're done. You even get to choose which ones you want to keep and which you don't, a nice advantage.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Then what's the point of a salary cap if you just bury 1 way contracts in the minors.

Tell that to Milly, I don't know what his problem is. Soc pointed out a rightful problem about Cap hits, I'm trying to acommodate, Marvie is declining the trade, so I'm trying to find a new team to trade with. Milly is.. uh... being Milly, I assume.

Smiley, I sent you a PM. Philly (CPU) has $9m in cap space and needs a RW or two.

Not seeing the problem here. The game glitched and you got 2 or 3 UFAs that you never should have. Just give them to a CPU team that could use them and we're done.

Yeah I saw it, I'll look at it once I'm back on my xbox. Can't see cap on the xbox, and also can't see what players they are willing to give away.

Revenant

SO WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL STANCE ON CONTRACTS

I'm under the cap by about 2.5 mill or more regardless but emelin is like my 7th or 8th best defensemen, so 2 million dollars for a healthy scratch seems silly, am i not allowed to just dump that in the minors until he goes UFA next year?

Smiley90

I'm under the cap by about 2.5 mill or more regardless but emelin is like my 7th or 8th best defensemen, so 2 million dollars for a healthy scratch seems silly, am i not allowed to just dump that in the minors until he goes UFA next year?

Armstrong is my 13th forward and Ranger my 7th D... and I'm being asked to trade them away and not keep them in minors too. So I'd assume to be fair you'd have to keep them as healthy scratches.

I'd say it's like this:

Anyone who you'd normally avoid sending through waivers (too good/scared of being claimed) has to be either a) healthy scratched or b) traded (if their cap hit is too big for a healthy scratch)

Let me know if that's the general interpretation here too.

Socreges

Banned

IMO so long as people aren't using it to exploit the cap system, it's fine. It's not like 1-way guys aren't sent down and clear waivers sometimes.

Smiley90

IMO so long as people aren't using it to exploit the cap system, it's fine. It's not like 1-way guys aren't sent down and clear waivers sometimes.

What we can also do is look at everyone's 1way players in minors and see which ones we'd claim. E.g. IF I look at Chicago's Emelin and say "I'd totally claim that guy if he had to go through waivers", then he'd have to either keep him as a healthy scratch in the NHL or trade him away.

e.g. I consider Armstrong & Ranger players that would be claimed if they had to go through waivers, so I'm trying to trade them away, but I don't think Bonino would be claimed, so I don't feel too bad about keeping him in minors.

Socreges

Banned
No one would want Emelin, for example, so Rev's safe sending him down.

Otherwise people can just use common sense. It's not practical that every time we want to send a waiver-eligible player down that we run it by everyone first. But if you think the guy would maybe get claimed, offer him up here or just keep him on your roster.

Smiley90

No one would want Emelin, for example, so Rev's safe sending him down.

Otherwise people can just use common sense. It's not practical that every time we want to send a waiver-eligible player down that we run it by everyone first. But if you think the guy would maybe get claimed, offer him up here or just keep him on your roster.

Well not every time, but people can take a look at their roster right now and do this. I agree that Emelin is probably fine, I think the critical cases are 3+star yellow players or 76&up players.

Revenant

Armstrong is my 13th forward and Ranger my 7th D... and I'm being asked to trade them away and not keep them in minors too. So I'd assume to be fair you'd have to keep them as healthy scratches.

I'd say it's like this:

Anyone who you'd normally avoid sending through waivers (too good/scared of being claimed) has to be either a) healthy scratched or b) traded (if their cap hit is too big for a healthy scratch)

Let me know if that's the general interpretation here too.

differencei s emelin is a 74, your players are decent players. I doubt anyone is jumping to get a 74 ovr d man.

Smiley90

differencei s emelin is a 74, your players are decent players. I doubt anyone is jumping to get a 74 ovr d man.

Yeah I didn't look at Emelin's stats before I said that, my bad. He's
"bad enough" for minors probably :p

Can't you put players (who ever you want) in the minors at the beginning of the season no matter what though? It is if you call them up and send them back down is when you are actually doing something you shouldn't.

Edit: 1 way contracts I mean.

Smiley90

Okay, did a trade (2player-swap) with Philly that they accepted right away, looked very similar to the one before. I only picked players that they wanted to get rid of. Let me know what you think Marvie.

Socreges

Banned
Can't you put players (who ever you want) in the minors at the beginning of the season no matter what though? It is if you call them up and send them back down is when you are actually doing something you shouldn't.

Edit: 1 way contracts I mean.
I think they always need to clear waivers, but I might be wrong. I vaguely remember Oreskovich going through waivers before the 11/12 season began.

But let's say you can put them down there and they don't have to clear waivers. Then they're effectively stuck down there since you'd have to put other players through waivers in order to bring them up. The waiver system is why you don't get big clubs putting NHL-level talent on their farm team.... unless they've agreed to 2-ways previously.

Btw 2-way players can also be waiver-eligible.

Smiley90

I think they always need to clear waivers, but I might be wrong. I vaguely remember Oreskovich going through waivers before the 11/12 season began.

But let's say you can put them down there and they don't have to clear waivers. Then they're effectively stuck down there since you'd have to put other players through waivers in order to bring them up. The waiver system is why you don't get big clubs putting NHL-level talent on their farm team.... unless they've agreed to 2-ways previously.

Btw 2-way players can also be waiver-eligible.

I think what he's saying is that some contracts in the game are like, 70-players on 1ways that would never be called up in the first place, so they're less "stuck there" and more they "deserve to be there". He's talking about non-NHL-level talent.

Socreges

Banned
I think what he's saying is that some contracts in the game are like, 70-players on 1ways that would never be called up in the first place, so they're less "stuck there" and more they "deserve to be there". He's talking about non-NHL-level talent.
He is? Why would we bother talking about worthless 'please claim' 70-level, 1-way players (these exist?) when what's at issue are the NHL-quality 1-way players that (Connected) GMs could conceivably stow away in the minors until they're needed.

Tabris

Tabris, Smiley:

I'm not accepting trades that put one or both(in Smiley's case) teams over the cap.

I think it's because I sent two trades and both met salary cap separately. I didn't realize both together would put them over the cap. My bad. I'll make sure to watch that. Did one of them go through instead? I'm good with either. I'm essentially trading out my good 1yr contract players/prospects with longer low salary contracts so I have more cap room next year to play with, and have more room for longer term prospects to develop. Plus I needed a better goalie for the future.

Actually I'll take the goalie trade.

EDIT - BTW, do you think it's possible we can play 1 of the games this season or next so I can get the achievement for playing w/ a build your own AI file (apparently simming it w/ the build your own AI file doesn't award it)? I'll make sure I lose the game to be fair.

theRizzle

I also wouldn't mind playing a game against whoever just to see my team on the ice. It might be fun to let some GM's play during the first week next season if nobody minds.

Revenant

EDIT - BTW, do you think it's possible we can play 1 of the games this season or next so I can get the achievement for playing w/ a build your own AI file (apparently simming it w/ the build your own AI file doesn't award it)? I'll make sure I lose the game to be fair.

MTWTN.gif

Tabris

What's so weird about what I asked? I'll make sure to lose so no stats / experience are inflated. Hell I'll skate around in circles :)

Socreges

Banned
I think it's because I sent two trades and both met salary cap separately. I didn't realize both together would put them over the cap. My bad. I'll make sure to watch that. Did one of them go through instead? I'm good with either. I'm essentially trading out my good 1yr contract players/prospects with longer low salary contracts so I have more cap room next year to play with, and have more room for longer term prospects to develop. Plus I needed a better goalie for the future.

Actually I'll take the goalie trade.

In other words you're trying to get rid of your guys that would be gone anyhow in exchange for the best contracts that the CPU isn't smart enough to protect?

I don't know if some of you are too accustomed to 'Be a GM', but just because a CPU team accepts a deal, or has certain players red/green, doesn't mean that's all that matters.

Random tag, Marvie sims two weeks every night. We don't sim anything. Apparently Tabris did sim one game, but he should never be imitated.

Tabris

Marvie can confirm, my trades were fair I thought. Brandon Sutter and Louis LeBlanc, both 4 star players for ... I forget who but they were just signed rookies. Comparable deals. Essentially now for future.

Those 2 would have been players I would have resigned next year if I didn't already sign a 5 year for Derek Roy and have a couple good C rookies like S Monnahan for the future.

Plus I basically got screwed by the random rosters (Bobby Ryan and Alex Petrielango? ...and a horrible goalie), so I have to focus on the future then great players right now as I don't stand a chance to do better than bottom 10.

Marvie_3

Banned
Go set up your own league if you want to do this.

Marvie can confirm, my trades were fair I thought. Brandon Sutter and Louis LeBlanc, both 4 star players for ... I forget who but they were just signed rookies. Comparable deals. Essentially now for future.
Of course you thought they were fair.
You getting the better future player and throwing in garbage late round picks to make it look fair isn't fair.

Tabris

LeBlanc <> Pikard isn't a fair trade? They are both 4 stars? I forgot specific details on the deal, I may have added a 3rd round pick for CPU to accept, but that seems fair.

I also don't get big deal bout throwing away a game to get an achievement but sure I'll set up my own league to quickly get those achievements.

Socreges

Banned
You didn't get screwed. Your team is just loaded in some spots and weak in others. You're doing the right thing now by rebuilding and trading surplus positions for deficits. But why not at least try trading with humans before going to fleece the AI?

Revenant

LeBlanc <> Pikard isn't a fair trade? They are both 4 stars? I forgot specific details on the deal, I may have added a 3rd round pick for CPU to accept, but that seems fair.

I also don't get big deal bout throwing away a game to get an achievement but sure I'll set up my own league to quickly get those achievements.

n82fL.gif

Tabris

You didn't get screwed. Your team is just loaded in some spots and weak in others. You're doing the right thing now by rebuilding and trading surplus positions for deficits. But why not at least try trading with humans before going to fleece the AI?

Haha. I am, I sent a couple trade offers to humans but looks like half of the GM's are inactive. Only a couple post here and everyone here just wants the same thing, prospects. No one's trying to make a run for it for this year (except the guy's who are already stacked and are looking for rookies cause they are already stacked and don't need good 25+ players)

Marvie_3

Banned

Pikard is 4.5 stars and you added a 6th or a 7th.

Tabris

Pikard is 4.5 stars and you added a 6th or a 7th.

3rd round pick must have been for the other trade.

So what's the rules then? How do I trade the now for the future? No draft picks? Have to be the exact same star level (if so, how do you trade big now players for big future players?) I mean why would I trade a player that has 4 1/2 stars right now for a player that will be the same in 3 years? I traded a 4 star player w/ a higher overall for a 4 1/2 star player with a low overall for me to develop over 3 years?

Socreges

Banned
Haha. I am, I sent a couple trade offers to humans but looks like half of the GM's are inactive. Only a couple post here and everyone here just wants the same thing, prospects. No one's trying to make a run for it for this year (except the guy's who are already stacked and are looking for rookies cause they are already stacked and don't need good 25+ players)
This post seems out of touch. You would've gotten a lot of interest in any of Simmonds/Ryan/Hornqvist/Yakupov/Zibanejad. There's a lot more activity than you seem to think. I got messages about Oshie from five different people, none of which are rebuilding.

Tabris

But Yakupov/Zibanjed are developing players... if I'm rebuilding, why would I trade them? I have not received a single message on GM Connected. I got 2 PM's when I posted my trading block a couple times from Smiley and yoda who didn't have that many prospects I was interested in.

Maybe no one else is interested in any of my 25+ year old players (Ryan, Roy, Hornquist, Anderson, etc).

Socreges

Banned
3rd round pick must have been for the other trade.

So what's the rules then? How do I trade the now for the future? No draft picks? Have to be the exact same star level (if so, how do you trade big now players for big future players?) I mean why would I trade a player that has 4 1/2 stars right now for a player that will be the same in 3 years? I traded a 4 star player w/ a higher overall for a 4 1/2 star player with a low overall for me to develop over 3 years?
Why would Colorado trade their goalie of the future for a center prospect when their current goalie is 35 years old? Because that 6th rd pick is going to surprise everybody?

Tabris

Why would Colorado trade their goalie of the future for a center prospect when their current goalie is 35 years old? Because that 6th rd pick is going to surprise everybody?

I didn't look at their current goalies, I was just going through all teams trading blocks to find a goalie prospect that was under goalies willing to trade. I traded them a current centre prospect for a future goalie prospect. So what's the rules? Check out their roster and if they have an old player/don't have a comparable future option for that position, don't trade for it?

Socreges

Banned
But Yakupov/Zibanjed are developing players... if I'm rebuilding, why would I trade them? I have not received a single message on GM Connected. I got 2 PM's when I posted my trading block a couple times from Smiley and yoda who didn't have that many prospects I was interested in.

Maybe no one else is interested in any of my 25+ year old players (Ryan, Roy, Hornquist, Anderson, etc).
You would trade them because they're developing in a system with four other young RWs and would get a better yield. Or you'd hold onto them and trade an established winger. Either way you use one or two of them to build in other places.

As for a lack of interest, just copy/paste your trading block each time you're on GAF. I repeatedly brought up Laakso until Revenant asked me about him and we went on to make sweet trade babies.

Revenant

As for a lack of interest, just copy/paste your trading block each time you're on GAF. I repeatedly brought up Laakso until Revenant asked me about him and we went on to make sweet trade babies.

yup, and i didn't leave right when i woke up either, had a nice breakfast, exchanged numbers for possible later trades. It all went rather well.

Smiley90

Go set up your own league if you want to do this.

Of course you thought they were fair.
You getting the better future player and throwing in garbage late round picks to make it look fair isn't fair.

Did you look at my trade with Philly? Good/bad?

Socreges

Banned
I didn't look at their current goalies, I was just going through all teams trading blocks to find a goalie prospect that was under goalies willing to trade. I traded them a current centre prospect for a future goalie prospect. So what's the rules? Check out their roster and if they have an old player/don't have a comparable future option for that position, don't trade for it?
I didn't even think that needed to be a rule. It's just common sense. You've always got to please both sides in a trade. Why should we be allowed to bone the CPU just because they can only think in two dimensions? Just take the two seconds to look and see if it's a trade you'd accept if you were on the other side.

Revenant

I didn't even think that needed to be a rule. It's just common sense. You've always got to please both sides in a trade. Why should we be allowed to bone the CPU just because they can only think in two dimensions? Just take the two seconds to look and see if it's a trade you'd accept if you were on the other side.

you're asking Tabris to use rational thought, you'd have an easier time convincing a rock to become a plant.

Now this is a real sim league, GMs being salty is reality

And yea, I'm probably sending Galchenyuk to the minors once I sign a free agent that is currently better and cheaper

Socreges

Banned
sox, your trade didn't show up because he checked it after the sim. Offers are erased when the league is simmed forward.

As for trading with the CPU, what I try and do is imagine a belligerent Marvie on the other side, just looking for any reason to deny me. When I can finally see him begrudgingly accepting it while quietly cursing me under his breath, then I know I've done alright.

Smiley90

Thanks for approving the trade Marvie.

Went 2-2, meh, same old same old. Anisimov with 6 pts in 4 games.

And top6 D and 2nd line winger hurt -sigh- Winger for 4 weeks :(

Top Bottom