• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 GM Connected Sim League (Xbox 360)

Marvie_3

Banned
I think it's time we unionize. Marvie is treating us like animals.
jzER65hnnm5VG.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Ugghh what the fuck. I gave Connolly and Kreider qualifying offers to hold onto their negotiating rights, then offered them contracts... but they accepted their f'ing qualifying offers instead which means they get paid MORE than they were asking for AND are only signed for one season.

Even when I've stopped asking Smiley questions, his old advice continues to haunt me.

At least Lundqvist took much less than he was asking for.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ugghh what the fuck. I gave Connolly and Kreider qualifying offers to hold onto their negotiating rights, then offered them contracts... but they accepted their f'ing qualifying offers instead which means they get paid MORE than they were asking for AND are only signed for one season.

Even when I've stopped asking Smiley questions, his old advice continues to haunt me.

At least Lundqvist took much less than he was asking for.

Saywhatnow? Qualifying offers are for when you can't hold them until free agency starts... Don't blame this on me lol

Socreges

Banned
Nearly noone accepts QO's. only really bad prospects/depth players do, and only towards the end of the offseason. QO's are just good to have so you don't lose rights to them. But yeah, you'll HAVE to make them a bigger contract offer and they'll tell you how much they want. QO's at least get you some picks if you can't agree on a contract.

Say what? Hardly any RFA's accept QO's cause they're so low... QO's are like 1.5 mio while players ask for 3?

Soc, you get the 2 days of exclusive negotiation where player's contract demands will be lower for resigning. You submit a QO (just to be safe) while at the same time submitting a bigger contract offer. If they turn down your contract offer and it's now past July 1st, the player can be offer sheeted but you can still negotiate with him.

Arbitration isn't in it because EA, that's why. NHL 13 is the first game that has real waiver rules, so there'a that.
Anyway, no biggie. Lesson learned: Don't qualify them until the last round of negotiations.

Smiley90

Anyway, no biggie. Lesson learned: Don't qualify them until the last round of negotiations.

You submit a QO (just to be safe) while at the same time submitting a bigger contract offer.

see how it says "bigger contract offer" there? ;) For players that are asking for less than their QO (aka prospects that didn't get better and don't want/deserve a raise, aka the "bad prospects" i mention in the first quote, since good prospects usually get better and ask for a raise... or at least they SHOULD get better -cough EA-), they'd always take the "more money" offer... QO's are for holding onto them if you can't re-sign them.

Socreges

Banned
Kreider and Connolly, two rookies who just grew +4 and will now play on my third or fourth line, are "bad prospects"?

I do get what you're saying. But the two quotes above, taken together, contradict what just happened. At best, the only misleading part, if you want to consider Connolly and Kreider "depth players", is that they would accept the QO "only towards the end of the offseason". ie, after I'd had a chance to negotiate. But they accepted it immediately. Ah well. One situation where the system used common sense instead of sticking to any supposed predictability.

Smiley90

Kreider and Connolly, two rookies who just grew +4 and will now play on my third or fourth line, are "bad prospects"?

I do get what you're saying. But the two quotes above, taken together, contradict what just happened. At best, the only misleading part, if you want to consider Connolly and Kreider "depth players", is that they would accept the QO "only towards the end of the offseason". ie, after I'd had a chance to negotiate. But they accepted it immediately. Ah well. One situation where the system used common sense instead of sticking to any supposed predictability.

They grew +4 and aren't asking for more than their QO? That honestly surprises me. Kassian is only asking for less than his QO because his last contract was crazy inflated due to it being an offer sheet pickup. Also, I literally just said "good prospects usually get better and ask for a raise", if yours didn't then be happy :p I also put "bad prospects" in quotation marks for a reason.

I was talking about the more "typical" situation (at least from how I've experienced it), where players got a lot better, asked for more than their QO, I didn't want to give them what they wanted, then they accepted the lower QO towards the end of the offseason, if anything. If your prospects got both better AND didn't ask for a raise, that's good for you.

I see where you might've felt "misled" (again...), but...yeah. I thought at least this time I was being clear. From now on, just always do opposite of what I say, at least you won't blame me anymore then!

Socreges

Banned
It was misleading, but I get what you were saying (it just wasn't applicable to every situation) and if I'd used common sense it wouldn't have been a problem. So it's on me for doing things automatically.

Smiley90

It was misleading, but I get what you were saying (it just wasn't applicable to every situation) and if I'd used common sense it wouldn't have been a problem. So it's on me for doing things automatically.

It's on you for listening to me! :D But yeah, sorry, didn't think it was misleading, but... we already saw where that has led to before.

Nearly noone accepted my lowballs -sigh-, I guess I have to pay Kessel his money. pf.

Well, Good news is that I only have to sign Heatley, Hjalmarsson, and Halak (just offered them all contracts). Though I'm still really iffy on Heatley, 6 years for 6 million is way to high of a risk since he is already 33. Hoping he takes 3 at 6 instead, but who knows. Halak wanted close to 7 but hoping 6.5 will cut it. Hjalmarsson is only 4.5 for 2 years so I'm hoping that will work. With that said I will still have a decent amount of cap left over to sign some free agents. Another good thing is that I don't have any major contracts to sign next year, only young rookies who won't be asking for a lot of money since they aren't even on my team yet. Next free agency should be interesting with the money I may have.

Socreges

Banned
Looking to get a 1st line winger SNP/PWF. None of the (eventually available) free agents really fit the bill, seems like. Most interested in RW, but could do LW

Potential pieces:

RW (SNP) Boedker 80 ovr - 4 star yellow - 24 years old - $1.9 x 3 years
C (SNP) Rask 65 ovr - 4 star yellow - 20 years old - $0.925 x 1 year
misc. prospects
picks

Hopefully there's someone out there still in the rebuilding phase. Kinda gotten the impression that everyone is plotting to compete immediately

Smiley90

Mhmmm... we'll see how the quality of players this offseason is, but if it's bad (because none of us will really let good players go and we're reasonably good at cap management, and there's no factor such as "i don't like this location/team" for players, or at least nothing that plays too big of a role), is there anything we can do to make free agency more of a thing? do we care if it's not that "good"?

Heatley actually accepted my 3 year offer, last player to sign is Halak with his ridiculous demand of 7 million. :/

Good news is that I have 11 million in cap left.

Socreges

Banned
yoda, you also still have one last opportunity to resign your guys (that the AI hasn't already signed) if you can make it online.

Smiley90

Might be more inactive, I dunno. Those are just the ones that said they'd be away for these days and would need the AI to resign their players.

Shitty, dude.

Went through the list, from what I saw the following teams have done no re-signings:

Washington (wsox said he was away)
Florida (? Merguson was sometimes here, maybe he just didn't realize it was re-signing stage?)
Nashville (sef? haven't seen him in here in a while)

those were the only ones. yoda, some of your players accepted offers:

Stempniak
Stuart
Moeller
Giroux
Reimer
Ryan
Brassard
MICHAL JORDAN (that name is so close to being awesome.)
Beauregard
Korostin

Marvie_3

Banned
Looks like I got dropped, I'll send another join request tonight.

Can anyone tell me if my FAs signed? LA Kings.
My bad. I thought you were gonna be gone so I dropped you. I'll be home around 10EST and I can accept your join request.

Would someone mind going through and checking to see if there are any other inactive teams? Today is the last day of re-signing so I want to make sure there isn't a team that gets screwed.

Smiley90

My bad. I thought you were gonna be gone so I dropped you. I'll be home around 10EST and I can accept your join request.

Would someone mind going through and checking to see if there are any other inactive teams? Today is the last day of re-signing so I want to make sure there isn't a team that gets screwed.

Check a few posts above yours, I did.

Socreges

Banned
Not sure I understand how buyouts work. I just bought out Richardson ($1.18m, 1-way) and it said the cap hit would be $0.388 in each of the next two seasons. But instead of gaining cap space, I've lost cap space.

Contract Buyouts:

For players 26 or older, a buyout costs two-thirds of remaining contract value.
On a buyout, the team takes a cap hit for a percentage of the buyout value (according to a very complex formula) spread over twice the length of the remaining contract years.
So, what the hell? Seems like both his contract and buyout count against the cap at this moment. So maybe the deduction will be calculated after the sim period?

Went through the list, from what I saw the following teams have done no re-signings:

Washington (wsox said he was away)
Florida (? Merguson was sometimes here, maybe he just didn't realize it was re-signing stage?)
Nashville (sef? haven't seen him in here in a while)
And Edmonton, no? Would be weird if the AI signed players for Edmonton, but not Washington.

And sorry, yoda, I'll take some blame there. Sent a msg to Marvie saying EDM/WSH/LAK weren't around for the resigning phase. Thought you were gone for the weekend, must've misread. I'm glad the AI didn't resign all your junk prospects then.

Smiley90

Not sure I understand how buyouts work. I just bought out Richardson ($1.18m, 1-way) and it said the cap hit would be $0.388 in each of the next two seasons. But instead of gaining cap space, I've lost cap space.

So, what the hell? Seems like both his contract and buyout count against the cap at this moment. So maybe the deduction will be calculated after the sim period?

And Edmonton, no? Would be weird if the AI signed players for Edmonton, but not Washington.

And sorry, yoda, I'll take some blame there. Sent a msg to Marvie saying EDM/WSH/LAK weren't around for the resigning phase. Thought you were gone for the weekend, must've misread. I'm glad the AI didn't resign all your junk prospects then.

Edmonton has players signed, Tabris has the team, no? Or maybe he dropped it before today already and the AI had time to sign players, while WSH just got dropped today and hasn't had time yet.

Smiley90

I'm back. You can re-add me. Shouldn't br gone again til March. Haha.

Welcome back! Just so you know too, we all noticed really late you had Red's/Dallas' first round pick.. which was the first overall. Lucky you. You probably drafted a 4.5 goalie, just thought you should know.

theRizzle

Toronto Maple Leafs trade block:

LW - James Neal (84 OVR, 4 yellow stars, 26 yrs, 7.05 mil / 3 yrs)
C - David Krejci (85 OVR, 4.5 silver stars, 28 yrs, 6.46 mil / 1 yr)
C - Patrik Berglund (83 OVR, 4 yellow stars, 26 yrs, 4.775 mil / 3 yrs)

D - Drew Doughty (89 OVR, 4.5 yellow stars, 24 yrs, 8.59 mil / 4 yrs)
D - Jack Johnson (86 OVR, 4.5 silver stars, 27 yrs, 5.375 mil / 4 yrs)

G - Jonas Enroth (86 OVR, 3.5 yellow stars, 26 yrs, 7.635 mil / 4 yrs)
G - Leland Irving (84 OVR, 3.5 yellow stars, 26 yrs, 4.32 mil / 1 yr) - ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Looking for any combination of picks, prospects and younger rated/cheaper roster players

If you are in my division, I will be less likely to trade with you

Smiley90

Toronto Maple Leafs trade block:

LW - James Neal (84 OVR, 4 yellow stars, 26 yrs, 7.05 mil / 3 yrs)
C - David Krejci (85 OVR, 4.5 silver stars, 28 yrs, 6.46 mil / 1 yr)
C - Patrik Berglund (83 OVR, 4 yellow stars, 26 yrs, 4.775 mil / 3 yrs)

D - Drew Doughty (89 OVR, 4.5 yellow stars, 24 yrs, 8.59 mil / 4 yrs)
D - Jack Johnson (86 OVR, 4.5 silver stars, 27 yrs, 5.375 mil / 4 yrs)

G - Jonas Enroth (86 OVR, 3.5 yellow stars, 26 yrs, 7.635 mil / 4 yrs)
G - Leland Irving (84 OVR, 3.5 yellow stars, 26 yrs, 4.32 mil / 1 yr) - ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

If you are in my division, I will be less likely to trade with you

For real? Was Enroth injured all season that Irving got the start, or why? On that note, who won all the awards, can someone who's logged in list them all? I'm curious.

Socreges

Banned
Hah, so either Tabris took his 360 with him or he's got someone on his account signing his players.

Drop sef (NSH) and Merguson (FLA), I guess. Otherwise their unsigned players flood the market. They can always get their team back whenever...?

Smiley90

Hah, so either Tabris took his 360 with him or he's got someone on his account signing his players.

Drop sef (NSH) and Merguson (FLA), I guess. Otherwise their unsigned players flood the market. They can always get their team back whenever...?

Tempted to think it's this, given he asked about it before he left :p Nothing wrong with that.

Sef's in the NHL thread, so he probably just forgot... not sure where Merguson is.

I'm curious what kind of FA's we'll get.

Marvie_3

Banned
Join request sent. Got a bad feeling I overspent on re-signing Giroux, guy better step up.
Got your join request. I won't sim until tomorrow morning so you have time to finish any signings you need to do tonight.

Sox, send a join request and PM me on GAF when you do so I can get you re-added asap.

Merguson

Banned
I've been in Ohio for the last two weeks or so.

I went there for my grandfather's funeral initially but decided to stay there for a while.

I come back tomorrow and I just signed into NeoGAF today so I'm now aware of the fact that I missed the initial re-signing phase for my free agents thanks the message from Socreges.

I don't know how much time I'll be putting into NHL 13 when Halo 4 releases tomorrow so if you want to replace me, I have no problems with that.

I should have let you guys know that I wouldn't have been able to sign my free agents, sorry about that.

Top Bottom