• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 GM Connected Sim League (Xbox 360)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
We can call him Huberdeau.

And I needed this third day to resign three of my big RFAs. Assuming they all take my last offer. If they don't, then I really don't understand this game.

They don't like you. Or Vancouver. They just wanna get paiiiidddddddd.

I only have Kennedy left to resign today.

Socreges

Banned
They don't like you. Or Vancouver. They just wanna get paiiiidddddddd.

I only have Kennedy left to resign today.
Nah, their asking prices are reasonable. I was just asking them to take big cuts so I could fit them all in under the cap. Ended up buying out Kunitz to make it work. They would be much, much harder to replace.

Also yeah, you were wrong about Ryan. He was never released. Looks like you got some people needlessly excited.

Smiley90

Nah, their asking prices are reasonable. I was just asking them to take big cuts so I could fit them all in under the cap. Ended up buying out Kunitz to make it work. They would be much, much harder to replace.

Also yeah, you were wrong about Ryan. He was never released. Looks like you got some people needlessly excited.

Interesting... I hope the game let you at least put in QO's for them. When I was resigning Teubert it told me I didn't have the cap space to put in a 1MIO QO, but then I was able to proceed to sign him for >5. So glad that worked oO

Smiley90

I must be blind, I didnt see Based or Hodgson in the free agency this morning.

That's because they're not free agents, they're both qualified RFA's. So they won't show up as UFA's? Maybe that's why you didn't see them.

BREAKING NEWS

Steve Mason, of the phoenix coyotes, has been bought out. Winning the Stanley cup and Conn Smyth wasn't enough to save his career

Smiley90

What is the penalty for doing a buy out?

From the current NHL CBA, which I assume the game follows:

If a Player's SPC has been terminated and bought out by a Club
pursuant to the Ordinary Course Buyout provisions set forth in the
SPC (which SPC also eliminates the concept of the "lump sum"
buyout), the money due and owing to the Player pursuant to the
buyout shall be paid out in accordance with the terms of the SPC
(e.g., one-third or two-thirds of the remaining Player Salary due
and owing, to be paid over twice the remaining years of the
terminated and bought out contract), and the amounts paid under
such Buyout agreement shall be included in the Actual Club Salary
and Averaged Club Salary (as set forth in this Article 50) of the
Club that bought out the Player during any League Year in which
the buyout is paid, and the amounts paid under such buyout
agreement shall also count against the Players' Share for any
League Year in which the buyout is paid (an "Ordinary Course"225
Buyout).

Not sure why it says "one-third or two-thirds", what determines 1/3 or 2/3?

damn :p So you're resigning Hodgson instead then or what?

Nope, just got tired of mason. Fluked out a cup, kinda like Osgood.
Rather save 4mil and try out free agency. Hodgson either accepts my qualifying offer, sits out, or someone hands me over a boat load of draft picks

Socreges

Banned
Nope, just got tired of mason. Fluked out a cup, kinda like Osgood.
Rather save 4mil and try out free agency. Hodgson either accepts my qualifying offer, sits out, or someone hands me over a boat load of draft picks
You'll get a 1st and 3rd. Cant see it happening either way.

From the current NHL CBA, which I assume the game follows:

Not sure why it says "one-third or two-thirds", what determines 1/3 or 2/3?
Age. 2/3 if they're over, IIRC, 28 yrs old. Spread over the remaining years x 2.

Smiley90

Age. 2/3 if they're over, IIRC, 28 yrs old. Spread over the remaining years x 2.

ooooh I see, that makes sense. Mason is younger than 28, right? Lucky.

Can we vote on moving the sim time to 12 or 1am EST?

So, like... 9/10pm PST? I'll have to see, it depends on the time I get home/to my xbox in the evening. I said 11pm because that's when I can comfortably say I'll be on most of the time. Sometimes I can be on at 10pm (that's probably gonna be earliest though), but sometimes I'll be home after midnight.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I'll go on now.

Socreges

Banned
Someone please let me know if Spurgeon, Filatov or Kreider hit free agency. Won't be home to check.

God damn this game if they do.

Smiley90

Here are just some reminders about AI-trades and other things that Soc and I wrote out, just to keep that in mind. If there's any questions, feel free to ask, they're just written out rules of what we already had in place under Marvie.

About CPU trades:

- Post any proposed trade with the CPU in the thread for discussion. Any trades with the CPU will be heavily scrutinized since the AI isn't as thorough or balanced as we would be
, ESPECIALLY if they involve draft picks.
Some considerations when attempting to trade with the CPU:
- Try to trade with a 'human' GM before pursuing a trade with the CPU.
- Do not use CPU teams in 'cap dump trades'.
- Do not bother attaching late draft picks to 'balance' trades with the CPU.

About Waivers:

- Since waivers are turned off (the game doesn't handle Waivers well and it'll send down really good players who then get claimed, which is a major buzzkill for everyone), burying 1-way contracts in the minors is technically possible (the AI will even do this at times if there is a cap problem).
However, exploiting this is not allowed and should be avoided if possible. If you would like to send a player on a 1-way contract down to the minors, you must post
in the thread and essentially 'waive' that player. If anyone wants that player, they can trade a 7th rd pick for him. If no one wants that player,
you can put them in the minors without issue.
- Make sure you are under the cap before the offseason ends and the new season begins.
- no trades that put one or both teams over the cap will be accepted, no matter how fair they are. exceptions are in 3way-trades, where individual trades might
put one team over the cap before the next trade puts it back under, but we need to be informed about those beforehand, so we know what's up.
- You CAN put a player on a 1way contract in the minors BEFORE the season starts (e.g. Milly's plan), but as soon as you call them up (e.g. they show "1GP"
in the stats, that's the only way we can check, really), anyone can claim them.

General Notes to keep in mind when attempting trades:
- be aware of your 50 player contract limit. this does not include unsigned players. \
-50 player contract limit DOES include RFA's, even if they're not signed (e.g. qualified, but not signed)
-e.g. if you have 49 players signed but want to claim 2 more players in separate trades, both of those trades will seem possible ingame (since they individually get you to 50), but when I see them to approve, I can only approve the first one I get message of, and then the second one will be declined automatically, since you can't have 51 players.

If we forgot anything or if something is unclear, let us know!

Signed Vokoun for one year, yay.....hmmm....may have been better off going after Neuvirth *shrug*

Hodgson and Krejci want 8 year contracts......wow

Edit - C-C-C-C-OMBO BREAKER

Smiley90

T-T-T-T-T-T-TRIPLEPOST.
EDIT: Thanks BJ! :D

Anyway, Free Agency is on now! Here are the best, by overall, players available for each position:

Center:
D.Krejci (85ovr, 29 years)
C.Hodgson (85ovr, 25 years)

LW:
J.Huberdau (86ovr, 22 years)
J.Mursak (82ovr, 27 years)

RW:
J.Hansen (79ovr, 29 years)
D.Clarkson (79ovr, 31 years)

D:
M.Staal (86ovr, 28 years)
E.Brewer (83ovr, 36 years)

G:
M.Neuvirth (84ovr, 27 years)
S.Mason (83ovr, 27 years)

I wish this damn game would let me stick players in the minors at this stage so I could actually manage the salary cap =/

The 2-way contracts shouldn't have to count towards the cap at this point if I don't plan on them starting in the NHL

Socreges

Banned
Bonuses count against the cap. That'd probably be why.

Some teams who were under the cap actually went over it once the season started because any 2-way contracts on the active roster count against the cap, whereas they didn't during the offseason. The AI then puts salary into the minors to bring the team back to 0.

Bonuses count against the cap. Pretty sure that'd be why.

What bonuses? lol

I just wish it would let us go over the cap if we have the means to get under the cap when the season starts

Looks like I won't be doing much shopping, enjoy the fight for Hodgson and Huberdeau
Maybe I can get Brewer back

Smiley90

What bonuses? lol

I just wish it would let us go over the cap if we have the means to get under the cap when the season starts

Looks like I won't be doing much shopping, enjoy the fight for Hodgson and Huberdeau
Maybe I can get Brewer back

It sure would be nice, but the problem is that there are no repurcussions ingame for just signing ALL the players and then putting them in the minors. In real life, that doesn't work, but in the game, there would be nothing stopping you from just signing EVERYONE to unrealistic contracts, as the AI doesn't do that either. This is really the only way to make it work. If you have cap problems, trade some, there's plenty teams with space :p

I only have 2.7mio to work with too :(

Socreges

Banned
RW class is lacking this year. Just so happens I've got:

Jerome Flaake (RW, PLY) - 79 OVR - 24 years old - 3 star yellow - 0.925m (2-way)

Currently wasted on my team as the 5th RW.

Trade Block:

Sauve, 25Y, 82 OV, 3.5 Yellow Star, DFD, (1 year left at 1.9M?)
and as always Heatley is on the block as well still.

Probably the big one that I'm looking to trade away right now, had one inquire about him but throwing this out in-case others are interested since he is on my trade block (or will be once I get home).

Cake Boss

Banned
Heatley eh?

The best thing about the free agency is trying to find that prospect that's hidden away that is doing better than most of the prospects around his age and potential.

Smiley90

Reposting my pretty big trading block for prosperity:

Given away for cheap:

G.Brule (77ovr, 28y, 3.5star SNP C)
M.Fistric (79ovr, 29y, 4star DFD)
T.Zaborsky (76ovr, 27y, 3star SNP LW)
C.Campoli (77ovr, 30y, 3.5star OFD)

Listening to offers:

A.Anisimov (84ovr, 27y, 4star PLY C)
T.Hamonic (79ovr, 24y, 4star yellow DFD)
Z.Kassian (77ovr, 24y, 4star yellow PWF RW)
K.Clifford (80ovr, 24y, 3.5star yellow GRN LW)
R.Horak (80ovr, 24y, 3.5star yellow SNP C)
T.Kennedy (80ovr, 28y, 3.5star TWF C)
P.Postma (77ovr, 26y, 3star yellow OFD)
M.D'Agostini (79ovr, 28y 3,5star SNP RW)

For the right trade also:
T.Galiardi (85ovr, 27y, 3.5star TWF LW)

Prospects:
T.Lofthouse (76ovr, 20y, 3.5star yellow PLY C)
JESUS Street (75ovr, 20y, 3.5star yellow PLY LW)
S.Lefebvre (59ovr, 19y, 4star yellow PLY C)
N.Cousins (68ovr, 21y, 3.5star yellow PLY C)
C.Bigras (59ovr, 20y, 3.5star DFD)
M.Wakabayashi (60ovr, 19y, 3.5star yellow PLY C)
C.Stephenson (63ovr, 21y, 3.5star yellow PLY LW)
G.Koalska (63ovr, 20y, 3.5star yellow PLY LW)

so many PLY's...

Additionally, I have two 1st round picks that I'm open to trading.

Looking for: 1st line RW (prospect or current), 2nd line LW (preferably current, open to prospect), top6/top4 DFD/TWD, 3.5star+ RW prospects

PM or post here please. :) I like to think there's some nice pieces in there, and the ones going away for cheap are going away for crazy cheap, if there's any interest at all. -shrug-

Smiley90

What are you expecting to get for those players which are plentiful on just about every team in the league?

Plentiful? How many 20 year old 75overall prospects do you have? 84 Centers? 24year old 4star DFD/RW prospects? I'm curious.

Smiley90

Your best C is 84 overall (1 of them), your best RW prospect is 3.5 (and best RW is Hornqvist who's white star, so... 0, you do in fact have Tinordi who's similar to Hamonic (so, 1) and from what I can see, your best 20year old player is a 61 overall... Mine are 76&75.

C'mon, try harder next time. My trading block might not be right for you, but saying "every team has plentiful of these players"
Is factually wrong, exemplifies by your own team. :p

Your best C is 84 overall (1 of them), your best RW prospect is 3.5 (and best RW is Hornqvist who's white star, so... 0, you do in fact have Tinordi who's similar to Hamonic (so, 1) and from what I can see, your best 20year old player is a 61 overall... Mine are 76&75.

C'mon, try harder next time. My trading block might not be right for you, but saying "every team has plentiful of these players"

But you don't have to post a giant list every page, no one is going to jump at you to trade for most of that shit

Smiley90

But you don't have to post a giant list every page, no one is going to jump at you to trade for most of that shit

... Second time I posted it, because trades are now actually open... Just ignore it if you see nothing :p

Socreges

Banned
As long as someone isn't truly spamming, who cares. Makes it easier for me if people post their bait here. And 3.5s are good prospects

My team does

Top Bottom