• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 GM Connected Sim League (Xbox 360)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hello, looking to join in on the fun! This will be my first GM Connected Sim League, so I don't know much about it. XBL name is TWO time GRIME.

Join anytime! the available teams are in the OP, the Sabres are sadly already taken, but on the bright side, they HAVE won a cup ;) The game is pretty much offline Be a GM, but with real people. We're also restricting trading with the AI quite a bit (it's possible, but trades have to be posted here so they can be judged for validity), and Waivers are off (because the CPU sends players that shouldn't be sent down through waivers which causes heartbreak for everyone)

Let me know if you're interested in particular teams and we can let you know what their roster looks like/if it hasn't been destroyed by the AI :p

Also, you'll have to join the league yourself! Just search for neogaf and join the Simmed league, and I'll accept you :) can't invite anyone, sadly

on a general note: simming now

EDIT: lol Karlsson gets injured, and instead of replacing him with what I have... the AI sends down Vermette and Despres and calls up a 67 and a 68overall player. wat.

Socreges

Banned
Hello, looking to join in on the fun! This will be my first GM Connected Sim League, so I don't know much about it. XBL name is TWO time GRIME.
The order of things:

- The commish (now Smiley, though that changes depending on who's able) sims each night in two week blocks. So normally about five-seven games.
- In late "February" (after maybe 7-9 sims/nights from the start of the season), we've got the trade deadline and stop simming for two days since there's more trade activity (though people trade throughout the season/offseason) and it gives guys a chance to work out deals via this thread, PM, or sending offers in-game.
- Sims resume and after a few days we arrive at the playoffs. Each sim/night is one round.
- After the SCF the commish sims the development stage where players age/grow/decline, and then the draft.
- The resign stage begins where we have a chance to resign/release our players. This lasts three nights/sims.
- The free agency stage begins, which lasts three nights/sims. You can sign free agents all season long, but this is when the best ones are available. Normally there are no signings after this period.
- New season begins, rinse/repeat

Each full cycle lasts 3-4 weeks, I think. We've just started the 6th season.

7-3-1
4-2-0 this sim

Riopel doing well in net while my #1 recovers

My #1 is way too inury prone :(

I'd consider trading one of my D for a big time right winger.........not Bogosian, Gilbert or Martinez though

Socreges

Banned
Spectre: "Flaake's gonna be a part of my new look offensive 4th line and might possibly get some 2nd PP time, so I won't be leaning on him. "

Flaake with 6G/4A/10P in 11 games.... dude's a stud.

When healthy.

Join anytime! the available teams are in the OP, the Sabres are sadly already taken, but on the bright side, they HAVE won a cup ;) The game is pretty much offline Be a GM, but with real people. We're also restricting trading with the AI quite a bit (it's possible, but trades have to be posted here so they can be judged for validity), and Waivers are off (because the CPU sends players that shouldn't be sent down through waivers which causes heartbreak for everyone)

Let me know if you're interested in particular teams and we can let you know what their roster looks like/if it hasn't been destroyed by the AI :p

Also, you'll have to join the league yourself! Just search for neogaf and join the Simmed league, and I'll accept you :) can't invite anyone, sadly

on a general note: simming now

EDIT: lol Karlsson gets injured, and instead of replacing him with what I have... the AI sends down Vermette and Despres and calls up a 67 and a 68overall player. wat.

The order of things:

- The commish (now Smiley, though that changes depending on who's able) sims each night in two week blocks. So normally about five-seven games.
- In late "February" (after maybe 7-9 sims/nights from the start of the season), we've got the trade deadline and stop simming for two days since there's more trade activity (though people trade throughout the season/offseason) and it gives guys a chance to work out deals via this thread, PM, or sending offers in-game.
- Sims resume and after a few days we arrive at the playoffs. Each sim/night is one round.
- After the SCF the commish sims the development stage where players age/grow/decline, and then the draft.
- The resign stage begins where we have a chance to resign/release our players. This lasts three nights/sims.
- The free agency stage begins, which lasts three nights/sims. You can sign free agents all season long, but this is when the best ones are available. Normally there are no signings after this period.
- New season begins, rinse/repeat

Each full cycle lasts 3-4 weeks, I think. We've just started the 6th season.

Thank you, this sounds like a really sweet mode. I just joined/sent a join request for the league. So the current teams available is updated in the OT? How does Minnesota look? They looked pretty good in the overall stars ratings, and they have a Sedin, hehe.

MacAttack

Thank you, this sounds like a really sweet mode. I just joined/sent a join request for the league. So the current teams available is updated in the OT? How does Minnesota look? They looked pretty good in the overall stars ratings, and they have a Sedin, hehe.

Just a heads up that the in game interface for viewing rosters is painfully slow. If you have an iOS device Id highly recommend using the EA NHL app which allows you to view rosters, stats and standings. There are a few things you cant do on the app, so you will have to use the game interface for accepting trades, editing lines and roster moves.

Just a heads up that the in game interface for viewing rosters is painfully slow. If you have an iOS device Id highly recommend using the EA NHL app which allows you to view rosters, stats and standings. There are a few things you cant do on the app, so you will have to use the game interface for accepting trades, editing lines and roster moves.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I've got an iPod Touch I could use.

By the way, is there any way to log in with a different Origin account? I'm not sure if it's using my main one.

Smiley90

Awesome, thanks for the info. I've got an iPod Touch I could use.

By the way, is there any way to log in with a different Origin account? I'm not sure if it's using my main one.

In the title menu screen, the very bottom you can either sign in or select my nhl, then log out of your current account&sign in with a different one if needed.

Also, just fyi, injuries happen quite often because we sim so many games at a time, don't be surprised :p I think Soc summed up his lost man games at some point and realized it's realistic though, we just notice it much more in the game due to the condensed schedule.

After every injury, the AI will by itself do "best lines", which, sadly, isn't always best, so you might have to adjust them yourself from time to time, that's definitely optional though.

In the title menu screen, the very bottom you can either sign in or select my nhl, then log out of your current account&sign in with a different one if needed.

Also, just fyi, injuries happen quite often because we sim so many games at a time, don't be surprised :p I think Soc summed up his lost man games at some point and realized it's realistic though, we just notice it much more in the game due to the condensed schedule.

After every injury, the AI will by itself do "best lines", which, sadly, isn't always best, so you might have to adjust them yourself from time to time, that's definitely optional though.

Haha, I'm excited. GM mode is mainly what I play in NHL anymore, cause I'm not very good in most positions other than G. So I'm looking forward to this mode of play.

I did find the Update/Change Email Address, but I don't think that's the right option? I'll look into it, thanks!

Smiley90

Haha, I'm excited. GM mode is mainly what I play in NHL anymore, cause I'm not very good in most positions other than G. So I'm looking forward to this mode of play.

I did find the Update/Change Email Address, but I don't think that's the right option? I'll look into it, thanks!

I'll go sim and accept your request now! From within the game you can also look at all the complete roster (tip: do it in the trading screen (preferably from the iOS app) and not the contracts menu, because the contracts menu is by far the slowest piece of **** in the game.)

Smiley90

CCF23 is also coming back and will decide whether or not he still wants Dallas (since the CPU changed the team quite a bit).

Aight, if he wants in tonight/right now, let me know and I'll stay on and accept him right away...? Or tomorrow?

Smiley90

Nah, go ahead and sim. I haven't spoken to him since yesterday.

ah k. I'll accept him whenever he submits. For now, Minnesota has a new GM!

And I went 3-2 and my best rookie broke his hand and is out for 24 games damn :( And he was only on a temporary call-up from minors because someone else was injured fuuuuu

Socreges

Banned
3-4 this sim. Byfuglien, Spurgeon and Coyle out

damn

TIME FOR FRANK CORRADO TO MAKE HIS CANUCKS DEBUT

...only six years after being drafted

Cake Boss

Banned
The development stage takes way too long in this game, by the time the players are ready to play in the league they are already 24,25,26.

Socreges

Banned
The development stage takes way too long in this game, by the time the players are ready to play in the league they are already 24,25,26.
Not really. The 2012 draft class was that way for some reason, but not otherwise. I've had 22 and 23 year olds on my team. And first rounders often make their team quickly, though this has been with the CPU mostly (eg, Kurt Gardiner). Delryk has Delmas and Smiley fluked his way into Hanzel (21 yr old starter), etc

I'll go sim and accept your request now! From within the game you can also look at all the complete roster (tip: do it in the trading screen (preferably from the iOS app) and not the contracts menu, because the contracts menu is by far the slowest piece of **** in the game.)

Awesome thanks!

Wow, 9-5-1 already...let's see where this goes. I love the iOS app, so smooth and quick.

theRizzle

I guess Markstrom got in for a game this sim... 2 saves on 4 shots against for a 24.00 GAA.

And then he gets hurt! lol

Nick Leddy is on fire since I paired him up with Shattenkirk. 21 points between the 2 of them and a combined +17.

Smiley90

Not really. The 2012 draft class was that way for some reason, but not otherwise. I've had 22 and 23 year olds on my team. And first rounders often make their team quickly, though this has been with the CPU mostly (eg, Kurt Gardiner). Delryk has Delmas and Smiley fluked his way into Hanzel (21 yr old starter), etc

Yeah Street&Lofthouse played last season as 21 year old 79's, now they're on my team again, Hanzal and Beaulieu are also playing (well, Beaulieu is injured now) as 21 year olds... It definitely depends :p

And I'm pretty sure we had like 3 players that were 80+ right off the bat when they were drafted 2 or 3 ago?

Socreges

Banned
I guess Markstrom got in for a game this sim... 2 saves on 4 shots against for a 24.00 GAA.

And then he gets hurt! lol

Nick Leddy is on fire since I paired him up with Shattenkirk. 21 points between the 2 of them and a combined +17.
Shattenkirk is doing well because of Leddy, not vice versa. ;) He's probably the only player I've released that I wish I'd been able to keep.

Yah they're totally random.. Some like Reinhart thats like 24 right now is still only 77 with a 4.5star.
2012 class. I'm telling ya. Something went wrong there. So many are 4.5s (even Gaunce who was a late 1st), yet they're all nerfed. I don't think a single one has reached 80 yet.

Cake Boss

Banned
Voracek comes back for 2 games then faitally collapses on the ice........hes now gone for another 14 games.

Puempel, 5 games 5 goals shooting at 21%.

Michalek 1 motherfucking point in 9 games. WHYYTYYYYYY

8.9% PP. League worst lol.

Smiley90

Voracek comes back for 2 games then faitally collapses on the ice........hes now gone for another 14 games.

Puempel, 5 games 5 goals shooting at 21%.

Michalek 1 motherfucking point in 9 games. WHYYTYYYYYY

8.9% PP. League worst lol.

Still better than real life Colorado.

theRizzle

I wish they would change the drafting/prospect system in this game.

It takes FOREVER for the vast majority of prospects to become useful, and even then its only guys taken in the first four rounds. I really doubt any 1 star 7th round pick is going to be cracking a lineup anytime soon.

The first pick that I had in this Sim was a 4 star guy who still isnt at an 80 I don't think.

Smiley90

It takes FOREVER for the vast majority of prospects to become useful, and even then its only guys taken in the first four rounds. I really doubt any 1 star 7th round pick is going to be cracking a lineup anytime soon.

The first pick that I had in this Sim was a 4 star guy who still isnt at an 80 I don't think.

Well, it's a bit sad how they give you the REAL prospect ratings, so of course there'll never be "gems" hidden in later rounds - Making the scouting system completely useless, since it just gives you the result anyway, regardless of how good your scouts are/where you send them. Scouting system in GM Connected doesn't work at all, perfect would be if everyone only had the information their scouts gave them, but oh well.

Also, I think the prospect situation is mostly concidental. I distinctively remember 2 drafts ago or so we had 3 players that started out 80+ overall right off the bat. Also, I currently have 2 players that are 21 and had 2 other players last season that were 21 playing on my team, so in their 2nd or 3rd season in the game, tops. It's definitely hit or miss, but you might've just gotten unlucky with your prospects.

Socreges

Banned

I agree with this. Even by the 4th round, I think you're into 2.5 star players and worse, which very rarely ever reach 78.

Otherwise I maintain that the prospects take a realistic amount of time to make the team, for the most part. The 2012 class got completely boned, but otherwise it's pretty realistic imo. Some players make their teams automatically and others need 2/3 seasons of development.

Smiley90

Imagine the scouting system for GM Connected worked like Offline Be a GM and only gave you yellow/red/green estimates for potential... draft day/order would be much, MUCH more exciting, with everyone having different information on prospects depending on where they sent their scouts during the season, and players potentially slipping through the cracks because noone got enough info on them to see how good they were/noone willing to take a risk on them.

But no, EA probably just couldn't get the feature to work properly for NHL 13 and decided to go with the "give real prospect ratings out" failsafe and is saving a WORKING scouting system in GM Connected for NHL 14. At least that's what I think/hope.

EDIT: Also, sim done!

Socreges

Banned
Lundqvist, 90 rating, has an .898 sv% after 21 games. This, after winning about four awards last season.

At least my offense is doing well.

theRizzle

6-0-1 this sim!

Leddy and Shattenkirk are still plus infinity as a pair, and Enroth is in a contract year and is playing like it. Too bad he's not going to get it from me.

Damn, 13-9-1 now, or 4-4-0 this sim. Not looking good here. I need to really get on the game itself and look at more stuff. The companion app is nice though, wish they would add to it a bit.

I'd like to get a good look at prospects. How does that work? At a certain point does the game just create prospects?

Also did someone request a trade with me? If so I might not get to check it out until tomorrow. If it was a cpu gm just ignore this one.

Socreges

Banned
Damn, 13-9-1 now, or 4-4-0 this sim. Not looking good here. I need to really get on the game itself and look at more stuff. The companion app is nice though, wish they would add to it a bit.

I'd like to get a good look at prospects. How does that work? At a certain point does the game just create prospects?

Also did someone request a trade with me? If so I might not get to check it out until tomorrow. If it was a cpu gm just ignore this one.
You look at your entire team by looking at the Trades screen and selecting the Wild. There will be a list of everyone, including your prospects. RT/LT cycles through positions and lets you see your draft picks (you might have more or less than normal for the 2018 draft depending on what the CPU has done). The players that are in the AHL will have a little AHL symbol next to their name.

Your recent draft picks will probably be unsigned and thus not in either league. During the offseason you have the option of signing them to ELCs. I usually wait until they become UFA eligible (after three seasons, I think) since then they don't take up a roster spot (you only get 50) while they develop.

You can also look at your prospects by going to the Contracts menu and pressing X. It's easier to see the overall stats that way. Problem is that the menu is slower.

The game "creates prospects" at the beginning of each season. You can see them under Scouting. They are the players that will be available in the upcoming draft.

Prospects also sometimes become UFAs and are available July 1st as free agents.

Smiley90

Simming now. Approved the trade.

Mhmmm... 11-11 with Landeskog on the first line, put Ennis on because Landeskog was disappointing and then go 6-1-0 next sim... interesting... Fuck, Hamhuis my Nr2 d-man out 39 games :(

Socreges

Banned
Spezza on the block

C/PLY, 87 ovr, $6.75 x 1 yr, 34 yrs old, 4.5 white

Currently leading my team with 32 points in 28 games

Looking for a young Top4 dman + pick

Spezza on the block

C/PLY, 87 ovr, $6.75 x 1 yr, 34 yrs old, 4.5 white

Currently leading my team with 32 points in 28 games

Looking for a young Top4 dman + pick

May be interested but won't have the chance to dig deeper into what I have until the evening. I've only booted up into NHL 13 once since being acceptwd; mainly using the companion app to check on things.

Thanks for the reply as well. I was mainly curious if the game created fake prospects because obviously after a point they don't have a real group to look at. It seems the mode is exactly like be a GM offline which I was unsure of.

Someone also mentioned scouting is done differently, but last night I set up a scouting assignment and it looked the same to me? Are there subtle differences in how GM connected reports and rates?

May be interested but won't have the chance to dig deeper into what I have until the evening. I've only booted up into NHL 13 once since being acceptwd; mainly using the companion app to check on things.

Thanks for the reply as well. I was mainly curious if the game created fake prospects because obviously after a point they don't have a real group to look at. It seems the mode is exactly like be a GM offline which I was unsure of.

Someone also mentioned scouting is done differently, but last night I set up a scouting assignment and it looked the same to me? Are there subtle differences in how GM connected reports and rates?

it feels different, more dumbed down compared to offline

also without duchene i went 5-0

Smiley90

Don't bother with scouting, it doesn't work. Once playoffs start, the full prospect list for the draft is released under "set draft priority", there you'll be able to see all the players available for the draft and their potentials. You can then set up the list in order of how you'd like to draft them and the AI does an auto-draft

Top Bottom