• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 GM Connected Sim League (Xbox 360)

Christensen is/was surprisingly good. He was my 4th/depth center for a while up until this season. Kept resigning him to 1-yr, 2-way deals just for his faceoff wins and the fact that he was decent in everything else.

I'd still have preferred O'Reilly and Colborne stayed healthy

Cake Boss

Banned
No player in the top 15 in goals.
Neither in points as well.
Worst powerplay in the league.
Worst penalty kill in the league.

Even though Price has been good, still around a 2.15GAA and .933SV, very good but he had better seasons for me before.

On paper I think its the worst team I have iced so far.

The defense is godly though.

I'm 4th in PK
20th in PP
No one over 30 goals
No one in the top whatever in points
My GA is pretty strong

Defence wins championships! (yes, I know I won the cup with Kovy and Gaborik both in the top 5 scoring that season)

theRizzle

Not that he will ever give Shinkaruk a run for the Calder, but Brandon Pirri (veteran of well over 500 NHL games) is leading my rookies in scoring.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, the rookies system is messed.

Since you guys are doing it...

1st in GF
1st in GA
1st in PP
13th or so in PK
KESSSEELLLLLL leading the team with 34 goals

I wonder if Johansen (4 star yellow) will finally become something decent in the offseason. Traded for him ~4 seasons ago when he was 79 and 21/22 years old. He's now 80.

CCF23

Holy fucking winger injuries. Luckily most will be good to go for the playoffs/early in the playoffs.

Setoguchi out 2 games
Wheeler out 7
Gerbe out 10
Pulkkinen out 6

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Alright guys, playoff tree is out!

Round 1

Western Conference

Vancouver (1) - Minnesota (8)
LA (2) - Dallas (7)
Detroit (3) - Columbus (6)
Phoenix (5) - Chicago (6)

Eastern Conference

Montreal (1) - Buffalo (8)
Winnipeg (2) - Florida (7)
NYR (3) - Tampa (6)
Ottawa (4) - Toronto (5)

Another 1st round exit incoming!

Socreges

Banned
Nice, I've got an opportunity to both advance to the 2nd round and put Minny's 1st rd pick (which is in my possession) in the 15-17 range. Let's do this, INDIGO.

Would also be nice if Winnipeg and Toronto could get bounced ASAP for the same reason. Though Toronto always seems to do well in the playoffs.

Alright guys, playoff tree is out!

Round 1

Western Conference

Vancouver (1) - Minnesota (8)
LA (2) - Dallas (7)
Detroit (3) - Columbus (6)
Phoenix (5) - Chicago (6)

Eastern Conference

Montreal (1) - Buffalo (8)
Winnipeg (2) - Florida (7)
NYR (3) - Tampa (6)
Ottawa (4) - Toronto (5)

Another 1st round exit incoming!
even after dropping duchene and lucic, i make the playoffs. something magic in the desert air

2 players in the top 5 for points (kane with 100 and gaborik with 88)
niemi 2nd in shutouts. dont know how my goalies keep doing good.

Rubber Ducky

Neo Member
Hmm. . . So here's something interesting that I just noticed:

Cool; just sent you a request.

K Alzner, DFD Top 4 , 29, 6'3", 4 White stars, OVR 85, $6.120 (4 yrs left). He's my leading D in points (13) and +/- (+14).

&

2018 1st Rd Pick

So far my team is playing well so I am going to risk the first round pick for some more scoring.

MIN: B Macek, 2018 1st Rd Pick
BUF: T Daley, 2018 3rd Rd Pick

It would appear that INDIGO_CYCLOPS traded Minnesota's 2018 1st Round pick twice. I'm sure there was no malice intended here, just a simple misunderstanding.

So, I guess we're going to need some sort of commissioner ruling?

Soc made the trade first, but he also accepted the 2020 pick rather than the 2018 via the in-game trading system. So, I believe there's a discussion to be had about the implied consent of accepting a trade in-game.

I made the second trade, but included the proper pick via the in-game trading system and, thus, currently have possession of Minnesota's pick.

To throw another wrench into all of this, I'm going on vacation on Thursday and won't be around for the week after, so the computer is going to have to control my team for the off-season.

So, I'll go along with whatever with whatever the ruling is, but I think we need to have a discussion about this.

Socreges

Banned
Rubber Ducky said:
Soc made the trade first, but he also accepted the 2020 pick rather than the 2018 via the in-game trading system. So, I believe there's a discussion to be had about the implied consent of accepting a trade in-game.
I would say there's none. I accepted the trade here since he posted all the info (I even posted an image of us shaking hands) and then later that night accepted the trade in-game. Seems to me that the latter was a formality in our case.

I actually did see that there was a 1st involved in your trade, but assumed that it must be yours going to him (he didn't specify the direction of the pieces) since he'd already traded his to me (so I thought). Heh.

When I looked at my picks on the 2nd day of the trade deadline to see exactly what I had from other teams, I noticed that he had sent me the wrong pick. I then sent him a trade offer which swapped the wrong pick for the right pick, and told him so here. But he wasn't around all day and missed it apparently. We agreed, with the commish, to figure it out at the draft. Of course, even though the pick still appeared, he had already sent it (again) to you.

Kind of a clusterfuck, but I don't blame INDIGO or anything. He made the mistake the first time because the 2020 pick appears at the top and he wouldn't have known which year we were in (as he'd just joined).

Socreges

Banned
Regardless of what's decided, I think the 'loser' (Rubber!) should get the 2019 pick.

I'll leave it up to you guys. We've provided all the info, I think. I've got my opinion, but I'm happy with whatever the consensus decision is.

Smiley90

I'd say whichever trade was made/agreed upon first (Soc's?) gets the 2018 pick, then the person involved in the 2nd trade can choose either this year's 2nd&3rd or next year's 1st from Indigo. How does that sound?

Hmm. . . So here's something interesting that I just noticed:

It would appear that INDIGO_CYCLOPS traded Minnesota's 2018 1st Round pick twice. I'm sure there was no malice intended here, just a simple misunderstanding.

So, I guess we're going to need some sort of commissioner ruling?

I made the second trade, but included the proper pick via the in-game trading system and, thus, currently have possession of Minnesota's pick.

To throw another wrench into all of this, I'm going on vacation on Thursday and won't be around for the week after, so the computer is going to have to control my team for the off-season.

So, I'll go along with whatever with whatever the ruling is, but I think we need to have a discussion about this.

I'm not really sure what happened, but it was not my intent to mess around with anyone. I will admit I wasn't keeping good track of my trades, which was a problem, and on the first trade I used the Companion app and most likely selected the wrong pick for Socreges. So I apologize. I'd be happy to give you my 2nd from 2018, or my 2019 1st for good faith. Had I made the right choice initially with Socreges, obviously my 2018 1st would not be available. I will back whatever decision Smiley thinks. From now on I think I will avoid the Companion app for trades, and it's limited capacity overall.

I would say there's none. I accepted the trade here since he posted all the info (I even posted an image of us shaking hands) and then later that night accepted the trade in-game. Seems to me that the latter was a formality in our case.

I actually did see that there was a 1st involved in your trade, but assumed that it must be yours going to him (he didn't specify the direction of the pieces) since he'd already traded his to me (so I thought). Heh.

When I looked at my picks on the 2nd day of the trade deadline to see exactly what I had from other teams, I noticed that he had sent me the wrong pick. I then sent him a trade offer which swapped the wrong pick for the right pick, and told him so here. But he wasn't around all day and missed it apparently. We agreed, with the commish, to figure it out at the draft. Of course, even though the pick still appeared, he had already sent it (again) to you.

Kind of a clusterfuck, but I don't blame INDIGO or anything. He made the mistake the first time because the 2020 pick appears at the top and he wouldn't have known which year we were in (as he'd just joined).

Yea I apologize; would have worked it out but I work 10 hour shifts on Fri-Mon, 7AM to 530PM Eastern, so I was not around at the time. Sometimes I will be on NeoGAF during breaks but I can't access NHL13, obviously.

Either way, good luck Socreges, I'm not expecting a blowout. I think my team just barely sneaked in.

Rubber Ducky

Neo Member
Yeah, the most fair thing would be for Soc to get the 2018 1st and for me to get the 2019 1st. I'd be happy to send it over.

That said, I'm leaving for my vacation on Thursday, so I won't have access to my Xbox during the pre-draft trading period. I was planning on dropping my team to AI control for the week. What would you guys suggest I do?

Socreges

Banned
Cool, we're sorted. Thanks for the compromise, Rubber. And no worries, INDIGO. Here's a little story that'll make you feel better:

2nd season of this Connected league. Red_Man is the GM of the Dallas Stars and after finishing near the top one season before he's plummeted and finishes in dead last. The consolation is that he's now got the #1 pick. He eagerly tries to trade it for a forward prospect, but happily settles with one of the two 4.5 star goalie prospects that are slated to go first and second overall. After the draft he checks his roster for the 4.5 goalie, but can't find it. He complains here and scolds EA for screwing him over. Then we remind him.... he'd traded that #1 pick to Washington the season before. The goalie he would've drafted (Hanzal, now a starter with Columbus) had actually been drafted by Washington (wsoxfan). He posts once more in shock and then quits the league, never to return. :lol

Anyway,

Four teams in the West finished with 88 points. Minnesota edged out the rest thanks to one ROW. Poor 6for8/Gorfaz (St Louis). I think this is the second straight season where he's barely missed the playoffs.

I'm missing three of my Top4 dmen right now. I've got a fourth liner (with good defense) playing on my third pairing instead of a minor league dman. Hopefully that's the right call.

Yeah, the most fair thing would be for Soc to get the 2018 1st and for me to get the 2019 1st. I'd be happy to send it over.

That said, I'm leaving for my vacation on Thursday, so I won't have access to my Xbox during the pre-draft trading period. I was planning on dropping my team to AI control for the week. What would you guys suggest I do?

Sounds good, again I apologize; no ill will was meant by it. Like I said just some overlooked mismanagement on my part, but I'm being more careful in the future.

Cool, we're sorted. Thanks for the compromise, Rubber. And no worries, INDIGO. Here's a little story that'll make you feel better:

2nd season of this Connected league. Red_Man is the GM of the Dallas Stars and after finishing near the top one season before he's plummeted and finishes in dead last. The consolation is that he's now got the #1 pick. He eagerly tries to trade it for a forward prospect, but happily settles with one of the two 4.5 star goalie prospects that are slated to go first and second overall. After the draft he checks his roster for the 4.5 goalie, but can't find it. He complains here and scolds EA for screwing him over. Then we remind him.... he'd traded that #1 pick to Washington the season before. The goalie he would've drafted (Hanzal, now a starter with Columbus) had actually been drafted by Washington (wsoxfan). He posts once more in shock and then quits the league, never to return. :lol

Anyway,

Four teams in the West finished with 88 points. Minnesota edged out the rest thanks to one ROW. Poor 6for8/Gorfaz (St Louis). I think this is the second straight season where he's barely missed the playoffs.

I'm missing three of my Top4 dmen right now. I've got a fourth liner (with good defense) playing on my third pairing instead of a minor league dman. Hopefully that's the right call.

That's quite the story; must have been tough to handle. Wish Red_Man would suck it up and come back! I didn't realize it was only one ROW getting me in. I'm going to hop on tonight and tinker with some lines, perhaps. Losing so many D-men is awful, I feel for ya. Right now I'm missing Tarasuk and McDonagh but they're both integral parts. It should be quite a series. I wish we could watch the games as they're simulated.

Socreges

Banned
REMINDER: Draft priority list can be arranged now. Deeper draft than recent years, looks like. Only one 4.5, though.

Didnt he pull a Burke and piss away a lottery pick in a trade, then said fuck it?
Yes, but he completely forgot that he'd pissed away that pick.

Smiley90

REMINDER: Draft priority list can be arranged now. Deeper draft than recent years, looks like. Only one 4.5, though.

Yes, but he completely forgot that he'd pissed away that pick.

Oh right, totally forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. What position is the 4.5, do you remember?

Smiley90

I WON?!? This is a first! :D

Results Round 1:

Western Conference:

Vancouver (1) - Minnesota (8) (1-4) (told you so Soc.)
LA (2) - Dallas (7) (4-2)
Detroit (3) - Columbus (6) (2-4)
Phoenix (4) - Chicago (5) (4-1)

Eastern Conference:

Montreal (1) - Buffalo (8) (4-1)
Winnipeg (2) - Florida (7) (4-2)
NYR (3) - Tampa (6) (1-4)
Ottawa (4) - Toronto (5) (4-1)

I think what surprises me most? a) Vancouver out AGAIN, and b) ALL series are either 4-1 or 4-2. That's weird.

Round 2:

Western Conference:

LA (2) - Minnesota (8)
Phoenix (4) - Columbus (6)

Eastern Conference:

Montreal (1) - Tampa (6)
Winnipeg (2) - Ottawa (4)

Smiley90

My injuries for Round 2:

2nd liner/2nd in goals out all playoffs
Starting goalie out all playoffs
3rd line D out this series
2nd line D out all playoffs

-sigh- At least Karlsson is back.

Some odd, odd scoring going on in my team. Anisimov and Eberle, my best regular season scorers, have 0 and 3 points respectively. Leading my team are Ennis and... my 2nd year young player, Street, who's on my 4th line. Wat. Ennis with 5 goals in 6 games -nicholsonyes.gif-

Socreges

Banned
I guess it makes sense

My dcorps were decimated

Byfuglien (87) played 2/5 games
Hedman (86) played 5/5 games
Alzner (85) played 0/5 games
Kulikov (84) played 0/5 games
Spurgeon (84) played 2/5 games (he had 1 game left in his injury, but the AI apparently didn't put him in until Game 4)
Beaulieu (80) played 5/5 games

Even one of my depth guys, Blidstrand (79), was injured. Murphy (77) played all 5 games, but forwards and minor leaguers made it into my top4. Yikes.

Top offense in the league held to 6 goals in 5 games, but a lot of that offense was generated by guys like Kulikov, Spurgeon, etc

Joking arrogance playing off joking arrogance. Not an actual prediction, but I get you now

Smiley90

Joking arrogance playing off joking arrogance. Not an actual prediction, but I get you now

I just found it ironic how your joking prediction became so wrong so fast, I would've predicted Vancouver to win it for the past 3 seasons or so...

Socreges

Banned
I just found it ironic how your joking prediction became so wrong so fast, I would've predicted Vancouver to win it for the past 3 seasons or so...
Yeah, I dunno. 4 straight seasons at the top. This team was made for the playoffs, too. Lots of toughness, youth, and durability. Lost every game by 1 goal.

Damn color me quiet surprised. I tinkered with some lines tonight, sent a young guy or two down to the minors to bring up a higher overall, but I seriously didn't expect to move on. Good series, Soc. :/ But yea, you probably would have taken me out if you had all your D.

Damn I'm surprised.

Fuck, and Spezza is out. Not good. My only complaint is how many injuries happen in a given season. But I guess that keeps it competitive?

Smiley90

Damn color me quiet surprised. I tinkered with some lines tonight, sent a young guy or two down to the minors to bring up a higher overall, but I seriously didn't expect to move on. Good series, Soc. :/ But yea, you probably would have taken me out if you had all your D.

Damn I'm surprised.

Fuck, and Spezza is out. Not good. My only complaint is how many injuries happen in a given season. But I guess that keeps it competitive?

Soc actually compared it to how many games real-life teams lose to injuries, and it's actually pretty accurate. We just tend to notice it less in real life since 2 weeks is condensed into 1 day.

Soc, do you think your dominance is partially because there are no other human GMs in your division and you play shitty AI teams more than, lets say, GMs in the Central or Northeast?

Socreges

Banned
Soc, do you think your dominance is partially because there are no other human GMs in your division and you play shitty AI teams more than, lets say, GMs in the Central or Northeast?
Probably a little, but not much.

eg,

Vancouver:

24 games vs NW
20 games vs Central
20 games vs Pacific
18 games vs Eastern Conference

Detroit:

20 games vs NW
24 games vs Central
20 games vs Pacific
18 games vs Eastern Conference

etc.

Don't think there would be much difference. There aren't many more games against NW teams and they aren't free points either. It might give my team an extra 4 or 6 points over the course of the season, I guess. But I also lost twice to Edmonton in my last sim of the season and lost to them at least once or twice more during the season, just as an example. Those few extra games aren't necessarily going to go my way. They're still really random and it's a small sample.

I look at the rosters I've put together and imo it makes sense that the teams have done that well over 82 games.

I'm going to have to duck out after the playoffs for about a month. Just relocated and won't have my 360 until I find a new apartment. Hope the CPU doesn't fuck me over too bad.

Smiley90

Gonna go sim round 2 now!

This is already the most successful season for Columbus, and I have 4 key players out, so I'm okay with whatever happens.

Top Bottom