• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I feel very strongly about Ryan Pilon being a steal. How a 6'-2" defenseman putting up that many points is a projected late 2nd round pick is beyond me.

I'd like something like:
Leafs 1st: Dylan Strome
2nd from Franson: Ryan Pilon
2nd from Santorelli: Anthony Beauvillier

And if he sucks we can call him Ryan Pylon.

Win/win!

I doubt I'll even waste my time watching the game, and end up playing video games instead. Why bother supporting futility by giving it ratings, until the team starts a rebuild?

Go Oilers!

:D

Condition on that 7th rounder

haxpJpX.png

so nothing probably

So more than what he got for Bolland, Grabovski, Kulemin, MacArthur, and Gleason combined. Truly one of the league's best GMs.

Yawnier

Banned
Petter Granberg recalled, I'd put my money on Stephane still being hurt and being put on the Lupul Reserve here very shortly

Merguson

Banned
Christ, this again.

Grabovski and Kulemin. Both on pace for a 30-point season, give or take. $9 million combined.

So why do we continue to talk about 3rd line centres/wingers? I thought the problem was putting TOO MUCH VALUE on these guys in the first place?

EDIT: If the Leafs were in a playoff spot under Horachek at this moment, I don't think you'll be hearing too much talk about Franson/Santorelli/Winnik etc. being moved.

zroid

Banned
Christ, this again.

Grabovski and Kulemin. Both on pace for a 30-point season, give or take. $9 million combined.

So why do we continue to talk about 3rd line centres/wingers? I thought the problem was putting TOO MUCH VALUE on these guys in the first place?

EDIT: If the Leafs were in a playoff spot under Horachek at this moment, I don't think you'll be hearing too much talk about Franson/Santorelli/Winnik etc. being moved.

I don't have a big problem with letting Kulemin walk given the situation, but I don't know how you can defend using a compliance buyout on Grabbo to free up the cap room to sign Clarkson. Grabbo may not put up big points but he's an excellent possession driver, which you may have noticed is one of the Leafs' most significant areas of weakness. Kuley is also a possession-driver, for that matter. They're both good two-way forwards and the Leafs are severely lacking in two-way forwards. As it so happens, the Islanders are great at possession this year.

Merguson

Banned
I don't have a big problem with letting Kulemin walk given the situation, but I don't know how you can defend using a compliance buyout on Grabbo to free up the cap room to sign Clarkson. Grabbo may not put up big points but he's an excellent possession driver, which you may have noticed is one of the Leafs' most significant areas of weakness. Kuley is also a possession-driver, for that matter. They're both good two-way forwards and the Leafs are severely lacking in two-way forwards. As it so happens, the Islanders are great at possession this year.

Why can't I defend the compliance buyout on Grabovski? Good possession player? That's nice. Didn't we spend $1 million on Daniel Winnik and isn't he suppose to be a good possession player? Why do we need to spend $5 million on one? Both on pace for 30 points give or take, if you want to consider that as well.

EDIT: The path from the compliance buyout on Grabovski to the eventual signing of Clarkson to where we are now is unfortunate, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't still support buying out Grabovski and eventually using that money wisely elsewhere, say towards keeping Kadri long-term.

Lines:

Pacioretty- Desharnais- Weise,

Galchenyuk- Plek- Gallagher,

De La Rose- Eller - Thomas,

Prust- Dumont- Sekac

Fuck you Therrien. Sekac deserves to be on that first line.

zroid

Banned
Why can't I defend the compliance buyout on Grabovski? Good possession player? That's nice. Didn't we spend $1 million on Daniel Winnik and isn't he suppose to be a good possession player? Why do we need to spend $5 million on one? Both on pace for 30 points give or take, if you want to consider that as well.

That compliance buyout could've been used on someone like Gleason, as opposed to a useful player, regardless if he's overpaid. Not to mention, as I said the money was used to sign David Clarkson. It's simply indefensible what Nonis has done over the last couple years.

He's actively made this team worse, letting good players walk for nothing, while overpaying replacement-level 4th liners and bottom pair D.

Merguson

Banned
That compliance buyout could've been used on someone like Gleason, as opposed to a useful player, regardless if he's overpaid. Not to mention, as I said the money was used to sign David Clarkson. It's simply indefensible what Nonis has done over the last couple years.

He's actively made this team worse, letting good players walk for nothing, while overpaying replacement-level 4th liners and bottom pair D.

It's easy to look at things in hindsight(considering Gleason was acquired months and months later), but I don't see any way the Leafs don't buy out Grabovski. We're talking about a 28-29 year old centre making $5.5 million for the next 5 years.

Christ, this again.

The point is the Leafs lost all those guys for nothing. Literally nothing. Kulemin was a 30-goal man just a few seasons before, Grabovski's a 30-50pt guy, they gave up three draft picks - including a second - to get Bolland only to let him walk months later, and Mason Raymond had his best season since 2009. They all walked.

But hey, I guess signing a third-line grinder (at best) who had one good season and re-signing Captain Pylon to stupid contracts nobody else wants to take were higher priorities.

As much as people love to put the blame on the current roster and coaching (I'm one of them), management is just as big a culprit. Stupid trades, stupid signings, and massive wasted opportunities. Fuck Nonis.

zroid

Banned
It's easy to look at things in hindsight(considering Gleason was acquired months and months later), but I don't see any way the Leafs don't buy out Grabovski. We're talking about a 28-29 year old centre making $5.5 million for the next 5 years.
EDIT: The path from the compliance buyout on Grabovski to the eventual signing of Clarkson to where we are now is unfortunate, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't still support buying out Grabovski and eventually using that money wisely elsewhere, say towards keeping Kadri long-term.

I don't think you can just take these things out of context like that. If you're gonna use a valuable compliance buyout on someone then you NEED TO make sure that you're not going to need it later. If you're going to use it to free up a ton of cap space, then you NEED TO make sure you use that cap space to improve the team. Would I buy out Grabbo to sign two Winniks with term at 2.5 mil AAV? Sure. But that didn't happen.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Lines:

Pacioretty- Desharnais- Weise,

Galchenyuk- Plek- Gallagher,

De La Rose- Eller - Thomas,

Prust- Dumont- Sekac

Fuck you Therrien. Sekac deserves to be on that first line.

Does any other team want Weise? Maybe Bergevin can trade him for something.

You know, that or #FireTherrien. Either or.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I love Leafs-Gaf.

Weise is a great player when he's in his proper role, aka a bottom 6 spot. He doesn't need to be traded, Therrien just needs to be shipped off to Madagascar. It's just like the same hard on Martin had for Darche when he was here, I don't get it.

Razorskin

----- ------
Weise is a great player when he's in his proper role, aka a bottom 6 spot. He doesn't need to be traded, Therrien just needs to be shipped off to Madagascar. It's just like the same hard on Martin had for Darche when he was here, I don't get it.
This, there's nothing wrong with Weise, he's just not where he should be with his talents.

Samyy

Marlies signed some goalie to an ATO....why? Garret Sparks is one of the best goalie in the ECHL so no reason for this...

Merguson

Banned
The point is the Leafs lost all those guys for nothing. Literally nothing. Kulemin was a 30-goal man just a few seasons before, Grabovski's a 30-50pt guy, they gave up three draft picks - including a second - to get Bolland only to let him walk months later, and Mason Raymond had his best season since 2009. They all walked.

But hey, I guess signing a third-line grinder (at best) who had one good season and re-signing Captain Pylon to stupid contracts nobody else wants to take were higher priorities.

As much as people love to put the blame on the current roster and coaching (I'm one of them), management is just as big a culprit. Stupid trades, stupid signings, and massive wasted opportunities. Fuck Nonis.

I don't think we should base Kulemin's value on the fact he scored 30 goals once. You know who scored 30 goals once? You know who.

I'm not trying to defend all the moves, but people have to realize that the Leafs were in the playoff picture by the trade deadline. Selling off players wasn't on anyone's mind.

Yes, some of the moves didn't work out, but you have to understand why some of the players were let go.

Good thing we're having a historical collapse a month before the trade deadline. I didn't really want to repeat the same bullshit we've been talking about every off-season.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
James Mirtle @mirtle
Leafs recall Bibeau on emergency basis. Something is afoot.

First rational guess something wrong with Bernier most likely.

But we ain't bout dat life!!!

HNNNRRRGGGG IT'S BEGINNING MEGATRON TRADE INCOMING!!!!

Hey I like Dale. Great Player but I feel he belongs on a 3rd or fourth line with Prust or something.

The only guy that doesn't belong on the 3 or 4th line is Sekac and it pisses me off.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Nash-Hayes-St.Louis
Hagelin-D.Moore-Fast
Glass-Miller-Stempniak

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
J.Moore-Boyle

Talbot
Skapski

Top Bottom