• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

yyzjohn

Banned
In 5 years he'll be 29, you expecting him to retire?
You can't just get rid of everyone and play the newly drafted kids, thats how you get the Oilers.

You need people to shelter young guys coming up, Strome or whoever we get isn't being thrown onto the first line as soon as he gets into the NHL.

You move Lupul/Bozak/Phaneuf and maybe Kessel before you think about Kadri/Gardiner.

This is silly.

But yea lets just keep getting rid of our young players, Stralman is a really good tp 4 d-man helping another team win and Steen is a top-line winger.

Even Joe Colborne has 18 points in 32 games this year.

Kadri is 25 in October, so he's 29 pushing 30 in 5 years, I don't believe the Leafs can become a contender in 5 years so you're taking Kadri's prime years of 24-29, getting nothing and then overpaying for him as he's 30+ and on the downside of his career. Sounds like a typical Leafs issue.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
jesus the habs are getting dominated on the shot clock. ugly...

i'd offer b2b as an excuse, but the yotes played yesterday too

The excuse is Therrien.

Can't wait to see DD centreing Pacioretty again next game because you all know it's coming.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dale fucking Weise on the ice to try and score. Fucking Therrien is such a retard.

zroid

Banned
crazy pressure by Montreal in the last couple minutes

dat adrenaline

thanks for giving Arizona the 2 points!

Red_Man

Can't wait to hear Therrien's bullshit excuses for this loss. I'd give up the Habs playoff spot if it meant he was fired today.

Red_Man

Good news about this loss is that maybe, just maybe Therrien will pull his head out of his ass and take Weise off the top line. If Eller is finished, Hudon should get a call up and move AGally back to C.

Suckarski.
He wasn't great, but he wasn't the reason they didn't win. Getting that badly out shot by a team that bad for 90% of the game is inexcusable.

zroid

Banned
Kadri is 25 in October, so he's 29 pushing 30 in 5 years, I don't believe the Leafs can become a contender in 5 years so you're taking Kadri's prime years of 24-29, getting nothing and then overpaying for him as he's 30+ and on the downside of his career. Sounds like a typical Leafs issue.

like I said, 5 years is plenty of time if you make good decisions

and if you don't make good decisions, you'll NEVER become a contender

ergo, 5 years is plenty of time

Merguson

Banned
Man the Leafs could look really different next year, assuming almost everyone gets moved:

JvR - Kadri - ____
___ - Holland - ____
Komarov - _____ - Panik (?)
_____ - ____ - Clarkson

Rielly - ____
Gardiner - Polak
Percy - Robidas

Where we gonna get all these new players :eek:

Raiding the Marlies...our prospect pool is so :lol

JvR - Kadri - Panik
Komarov - Holland - Nylander
Leivo - McKegg - Brown
Bodie - Carrick - Clarkson

Speaking of people on defense, haven't heard much about Polak or Robidas.

Which means Polak will end up being the first guy traded or something.

Mr.Green

Good news about this loss is that maybe, just maybe Therrien will pull his head out of his ass and take Weise off the top line. If Eller is finished, Hudon should get a call up and move AGally back to C.

He wasn't great, but he wasn't the reason they didn't win. Getting that badly out shot by a team that bad for 90% of the game is inexcusable.
Well, that's true except Price is often, if not usually the reason they manage to pull a win, so yeah, I stand by my point. ;-)

Samyy

Speaking of people on defense, haven't heard much about Polak or Robidas.

Which means Polak will end up being the first guy traded or something.

I could see teams wanting Polak, hes decent as a #6.
Can't get rid of too many guys though, need some people to play.

Merguson

Banned
Also as you've already said, need some vets to help insulate the younger guys as well.

Colton Orr is waiting on the phone call.

Don Cherry will then have a show about how the Leafs will handle the rebuild properly as opposed to the Oilers because they have good Canadian boys like Colton Orr to gently coddle the kids.

yyzjohn

Banned
like I said, 5 years is plenty of time if you make good decisions

and if you don't make good decisions, you'll NEVER become a contender

ergo, 5 years is plenty of time

It might be the alcohol talking, but we fucking stink and I don't see anyway out of this mess.

zroid

Banned
yall gotta chill. wait until the offseason before announcing where this team is headed over the next few years. you might be surprised how much can change in one year when there's good decision-making guiding the process. just look at the Isles.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It might be the alcohol talking, but we fucking stink and I don't see anyway out of this mess.

I see the Leafs as a very talented team that has outright given up.

problem is... the leafs are a team that lacks aggression or anger. We have Lupul who powers through people. no one else commands respect

Thats why the leafs are so talented yet so awful at the same time.

We give up pucks to stronger players, we lose races due to fear of being hit and we always seem to score off skill plays.

you let other teams have their way and you're going to be destroyed

I'm not talking just hitters, I'm talking skilled hitters. Like kulemin, MacArthur, Santorelli, Lupul, etc.

We need power forwards who can fight for the puck, win, and then know what to do with the puck and have the tools necessary to actually do it.

Everyone right now appears focused on dangling into danger areas and hitting the eject button the second someone frowns at them

So their troubles are essentially because of mental fragility. This group can succeed, they need to be told how to do it and how to maintain it. I always feel they come across this by accident and the wrong things are being credited for their success.... And the wrong things are being blamed for their failures.

I'm not concerned if leafs keep the roster going into next year.... But I'll be concerned if they don't start playing aggressive and maintain it. That's the key to this groups success.

Red_Man

yall gotta chill. wait until the offseason before announcing where this team is headed over the next few years. you might be surprised how much can change in one year when there's good decision-making guiding the process. just look at the Isles.
I agree with you that it doesn't take long to rebuild in today's age, but the Isles had a really great foundation of players and prospects before this season. Leafs are lacking both at pretty much every position. They should just do a full rebuild at this point.

zroid

Banned
I agree with you that it doesn't take long to rebuild in today's age, but the Isles had a really great foundation of players and prospects before this season. Leafs are lacking both at pretty much every position. They should just do a full rebuild at this point.

Of course, not saying Leafs can turn it around in one year. But 5 years is a long time.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Leafs let a lot of talent walk without having much home grown talent coming up that could fill those roles.

A lot of second and third line players, who would probably look good behind JVR, Kessel, and Kadri. I'd add Lupul too but he plays twenty games a season.

Top Bottom