• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh man, only a 4 month season and like 30% of it will be spent with players having to play themselves into shape. We won't see top flight NHL action until like March.

I'm still waiting for a picture of Big Buff. Wonder what he's been up to.

Beez

Banned
Oh man, only a 4 month season and like 30% of it will be spent with players having to play themselves into shape. We won't see top flight NHL action until like March.

My dad says you never get to see top flight NHL action with the Leafs *shrugs*

Cake Boss

Banned
"@helenenothelen: Was told NHLPA wanted to hold off opening camp until next week but NHL wants it as soon as possible."

LOL we really want to get back to playing guys.

Parch

Subban's got some work to do. Technically good with the butterfly, but he got burned going down while the puck was going up. He got beat high glove a lot and plays too deep in the net. At this point I don't see him being much impact in the NHL, but that can change.

Like I said earlier, the beginning (and even into the middle) of the season is going to be a mess.

Parch

Advantage to the teams with players in the AHL. You know, real contact hockey and not just Euro keepaway.

Tabris

SEDIN MAGIC IS BOUT TO HAPPEN!!! HANK, DANK, MAGIC!

Funny story: I flew from Vancouver to Boston today, and as I arrived in Toronto (connection), I noticed on TSN playing on a tv that hockey was back. Had a long connection so watched TSN 24/7 coverage. I then fly into Boston, check into my hotel, and go to ESPN to see coverage. They are playing competitive bowling. lol

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
SEDIN MAGIC IS BOUT TO HAPPEN!!! HANK, DANK, MAGIC!

Funny story: I flew from Vancouver to Boston today, and as I arrived in Toronto (connection), I noticed on TSN playing on a tv that hockey was back. Had a long connection so watched TSN 24/7 coverage. I then fly into Boston, check into my hotel, and go to ESPN to see coverage. They are playing competitive bowling. lol

See thread title, how fitting.

Tabris

The worst part is TSN.ca is blocked, the videos I mean, so I can't even watch their segments until I'm back Friday.

Solo

Pretty much guaranteed that almost every team will use both their buyouts next season with the cap shrinking. Habs have more money than any other team already locked in to players for 2013-2014, so you can be damn sure they'll be using them. Gomez is a no-brainer, and hopefully Bourque is the other one. Kaberle seems like a decent idea too, but I feel like there will be some dumb GM willing to trade for him, whereas no fucking sane hockey person wants anything to do with Gomez or Bourque.

Stasis

The worst part is TSN.ca is blocked, the videos I mean, so I can't even watch their segments until I'm back Friday.

Can probably see them if you use Tunnel Bear, by going through the UK server. Assuming TSN.ca works in the UK and just not in the US.

CCF23

The little league that could, but often wouldn't.

Pretty much guaranteed that almost every team will use both their buyouts next season with the cap shrinking. Habs have more money than any other team already locked in to players for 2013-2014, so you can be damn sure they'll be using them. Gomez is a no-brainer, and hopefully Bourque is the other one. Kaberle seems like a decent idea too, but I feel like there will be some dumb GM willing to trade for him, whereas no fucking sane hockey person wants anything to do with Gomez or Bourque.

Canucks will be Ballard for sure. If they use the second, maybe Booth depending on how the half season goes?

CCF23

View Post
@FarhanLaljiTSN: Re Kesler: there is no time frame for his return. Agent: "Our goal is that he's able to play the next 10 years, not the next 2 months" #tsn

@FarhanLaljiTSN: More on Kesler - He has recently started stick-handling.
"We are working with the club closely on his recovery & we're all on the same page"

I'm just hoping he's good to go come playoffs.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"@helenenothelen: Was told NHLPA wanted to hold off opening camp until next week but NHL wants it as soon as possible."

LOL we really want to get back to playing guys.

:lol why?

Tabris

lol @ your avatar Tabris... One of your 4 NFL teams I assume, and a team/player that's currently hot?

You've never obviousely followed me in the NFL thread. My teams are the Mannings (brother quarterbacks), wherever they go, those are my teams. So what used to IND and NYG is now DEN and NYG. I believed in Peyton when everyone was throwing him under the bus in Week 2

I'll still be posting, but I'll be watching less games and therefore posting less.

This. No Center Ice for me this year. I'll watch what Canes games are on TV when I'm not watching one of the other 9 million damn TV shows I'm sucked into.

Edit: If I go to more than 3 games I'll be stunned. We normally get discounted tickets for teachers and for my son's hockey league 2-3 times a year.

Who wins the Calder this year?

Calder%2BTrophy%2Bcurrent.jpg

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Jonathan Huberdeau (FLA)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

Any others?

Finalists will be Garlund Yakupov, Huberdeau.

Huberdeau will win. He'll the best chance being on the 2nd line and on 2nd PP unit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shore gets to sniff the big league too.

4 weeks is like 30% of the season, though.

My reasoning is that the entire league is still going to look like shit 30% of the way through this season. Anze coming back from a non-serious injury in that time frame doesn't put the Kings too far behind, if behind at all. And it's the only real issue they're going to face.

And I want to see what Loktionov can do.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
* The league has also created a $60 million industry growth fund that can be used at the commissioner's discretion in struggling markets.

WTF is this shit? Phx is NEVER leaving at this rate...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
* The league has also created a $60 million industry growth fund that can be used at the commissioner's discretion in struggling markets.

It's growth

Not funding

So for growth it's either advertising, sponsoring, helping build rinks, whatever

It's to assist in spurring revenue growth down the road to get kids hooked on hockey

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Hmmm...not sure what to think about this.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ok, so teams can hold back $5 million of salary in a year for trades

$3 million for one player

Makes it easier to trade a high cap hit... Especially for rentals

Should make trade deadline awesome

It's growth

Not funding

So for growth it's either advertising, sponsoring, helping build rinks, whatever

It's to assist in spurring revenue growth down the road to get kids hooked on hockey

Oh the league is finally going to help in paying for things like this now? The Samuellis have been funding street hockey programs, reading for kids, school sports giveaways and supporting The Rinks with junior programs for years out of their own pockets.

Top Bottom