• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

CREMSteve

Who wins the Calder this year?

Calder%2BTrophy%2Bcurrent.jpg

- Ryan Strome (NYI)
- Brandon Saad (CHI)
- Mika Zibanejad (OTT)
- Jonathan Huberdeau (FLA)
- Dougie Hamilton (BOS)
- Mikael Granlund (MIN)
- Nail Yakupov (EDM)
- Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
- Chris Kreider (NYR)
- Justin Schultz (EDM)
- Mark Scheifele (WPG)
- Sven Baertschi (CGY)

Any others?
Granlund or Baertschi

Solo

If I were Burke I'd go all in on Luongo. A 48 game season is the best chance the Leafs have at ending their 9 year playoff drought.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
All of you are ridiculous. Not a single game played yet and we're at 5-10+ pages (depending on how you have it worked).
Agreed, let's talk about video games.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh cool

So we want goalies that can't play during the regular season, only the playoffs?

Nono, he wants a goalie who can perform in 4 stanley cup final games. Regular season, other playoff series, individual SCF final games all don't matter, didn't you know. All that matters is that Luongo had 3 blowout losses in one SCF. Disqualifies him IMMEDIATELY as goalie of a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years. Because really, they NEED those extra 2 SCF wins immediately, that's all that's been holding them back.

All of you are ridiculous. Not a single game played yet and we're at 5-10+ pages (depending on how you have it worked).

Blue balls, we're coming buckets.

Mhmm a certain gold medal says he CAN perform when it matters. Your sample is ONE Stanley cup final series where he shit the bed. So what. Against that you have countless playoff series and several regular seasons in which he performed admirably. Also it's a bit funny coming from a Leafs fan saying "all that matters is we need a goalie who can win the stanley cup final! Regular season and EVERY OTHER SERIES BEFORE THE FINAL doesn't matter". He lost ONE stanley cup final series, which makes him suddenly a terrible choice for the Leafs, because... I don't know.

I think you have other things to worry about first.

uhhh, Luongo wasn't the reason they won the gold. Not by a long shot.

Curufinwe

Luongo could make them a playoff team.

Realized I haven't made a prediction for the Flyers yet: 7th in the east.

I think 5th or 6th, but the lockout has certainly being good for the health of Philly's defense and the forwards are stacked so top 4 is possible.

All depends if Bryz wants to play hard enough to stay long term, of if he's already angling to get bought out in summer.

Smiley90

But he also didn't shit the bed, is what I'm saying. Same reason Canucks didn't lose the SCF JUST because of Luongo. He's saying Luongo always shits the bed under pressure, but he doesn't, because he didn't let Canada lose the gold medal. Of course he needs a competent team in front of him, too. (which the Canucks couldn't be in the SCF against Boston)

Solo

Kings probably have the best chance at repeating as Cup champs of any team in a long-ass fucking time. Their team is in tact and unlike most other Cup winners, they haven't had a short summer.

Smiley90

General question, how long is the Ranger's window? How long will they have the cap space to accomodate all their stars? I feel like they should be the ones under the most pressure, among all teams.

Canucks window closing soooon :(

CREMSteve

You're right. But he was good enough to win gold, that's all that matters, really.

Fortunate's argument is like saying Brodeur shit the bed in the olympics, and he lost in game 7 of the Finals last season, so he's not good enough to play for the Leafs, career be damned.

Solo

General question, how long is the Ranger's window? How long will they have the cap space to accomodate all their stars? I feel like they should be the ones under the most pressure, among all teams.

Every top team basically has a 5 year window at the absolute max. I would say the Nucks have 1-2 years left with theirs. Don't see NYR enough to guess theirs.

All I'm saying is if we are going to pontificate on the merits and successes of Luongo I don't think the 2010 Olympics are the place to go. It's not as if he was the equivalent of Miller for the Americans in that tourney.

Acid08

Banned
Kings probably have the best chance at repeating as Cup champs of any team in a long-ass fucking time. Their team is in tact and unlike most other Cup winners, they haven't had a short summer.

Kopitar is injured right now, knee.

2 years. Rangers are not in cap trouble this year or the next. But Richards/Lundqvist/Gaborik are getting older. 2 years.

Parch

I actually think Justin Schultz has to be considered the front-runner for the Calder.
He's the oldest of the bunch and will get a lot of PP time to pad his point totals. The Oilers PP was pretty good last year.
Absolutely. He's been outstanding in the AHL. He'll get a ton of ice time with the Oilers.

This is going to be the breakout year for Oilers, right? Please?

But he also didn't shit the bed, is what I'm saying. Same reason Canucks didn't lose the SCF JUST because of Luongo. He's saying Luongo always shits the bed under pressure, but he doesn't, because he didn't let Canada lose the gold medal. Of course he needs a competent team in front of him, too. (which the Canucks couldn't be in the SCF against Boston)
KingHenrik's window is probably about 15 games before swearing off watching them again.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The problem I see with Lu for the Leafs is he probably makes them a playoff team, but by the time they are looking to be a cup contender he likely won't be able to perform to the level they need and they won't have the capital to replace him with someone who meets their needs.

Leafs have a lot of great up and coming D like holzer/rielly/gardiner with phaneuf, liles and gunnar...

A great 1st line when they click (lupul / Kessel / kadri)
A great 2nd line when they click (MacArthur / grabovski / JVR)
A 3rd line that can be good (kulemin / mcclement / bozak)
A standard 4th line ( steckel, brown, komorov)

We have to see if we can finally have a good season instead of a partial one

Luongo would be considered a near finishing touch as long as the rest of the team can pull together and play to their level

Leafs have a lot of firepower but can't keep the puck out of their net

Lots of potential but met with equal or greater amounts of failure

I think 5th or 6th, but the lockout has certainly being good for the health of Philly's defense and the forwards are stacked so top 4 is possible.

All depends if Bryz wants to play hard enough to stay long term, of if he's already angling to get bought out in summer.

If people are doing Flyers predictions I say 10th or 11th. Bryz is going to be terrible and I think the defense in front of him is going to be really fucking bad.

If people are doing Flyers predictions I say 10th or 11th. Bryz is going to be terrible and I think the defense in front of him is going to be really fucking bad.

The team is virtually identical to the team you were saying all last year was amazing....

We lost JVR and Jagr and traded Carle for L. Schenn. Meanwhile Couts, Read, and Schenn have a year under their belt.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
This is going to be the breakout year for Oilers, right? Please?
Surprisingly (and scarily), most of it will depend on Devan Dubnyk.

Are you guys arguing about whether or not Luongo and/or the Canucks are elite?
The answer to both is obviously yes.
Top-5 goalie. Top-3 team.
As much as I'd hate to see them win, the Canucks are serious contenders.

CREMSteve

Leafs have a lot of great up and coming D like holzer/rielly/gardiner with phaneuf, liles and gunnar...

Luongo would be considered a near finishing touch as long as the rest of the team can pull together and play to their level

You sir, are drinking some kool-aid.

Surprisingly (and scarily), most of it will depend on Devan Dubnyk.

Are you guys arguing about whether or not Luongo and/or the Canucks are elite?
The answer to both is obviously yes.
Top-5 goalie. Top-3 team.
As much as I'd hate to see them win, the Canucks are serious contenders.

So no then?

Cake Boss

Banned

LOL

So who's playing the #1 C position? And you have no #1 D, good depth but yeah.

These all seem like pretty big problems.

JVR was hurt for the majority of last year and Jagr really trailed off at the end. Then add in that we had the best offense in the league. Those two are manageable.

The Carle/Schenn swap is kinda eh. We're worse, but not THAT much worse on D.

yankee was also last year's Bryz apologist extraordinaire, so it's weird to see him so down on him now.

Erdrick

People can throw out as many stats as they like but the fact remains that Luongo, in front of millions of people, looked like absolute garbage in those SCF's in 2011. Regardless if he got shutouts in that same series, people wont remember that. They will remember him losing, and looking horrible as could be in the process.

And yeah, he played decent in the olympics, but when you have a virtual all-star team of talent in front of you, of course you will look better.

He's forever going to be known as the guy who choked in the final and couldn't deliver the cup to arguably one of the most talented Canucks teams, ever. He's looked upon as some fragile goalie, mentally, and yes, he is not the worst goalie ever, obviously, but when it counts, when you absolutely HAVE to win...

Luongo simply cannot.

And that screams poison to me in regards to any team. I pity the Canucks who have to deal with his huge contract, and I pity even more any team that is foolish enough to take him and his baggage.

Again, people can point out his win in the olympics, but so what? That's not the NHL. That's not what 700+ players are really all fighting for in this league. No doubt, an olympic gold medal is a fine honour for any athelete, but I'd wager that more kids growing up watching and playing hockey desire the Stanley Cup than a gold medal from the olympics.

The team is virtually identical to the team you were saying all last year was amazing....

We lost JVR and Jagr and traded Carle for L. Schenn. Meanwhile Couts, Read, and Schenn have a year under their belt.

Flyers are way better than 10th. :lol

I just have a really bad feeling about this year. I had hope for Bryz last year but that is all rightfully gone now. The D sucked last year and will be even worse this year, and I think the guys will front will have to do to much to overcome the other problems.

BWG I have no idea where you are getting it from that I thought last years team was amazing. I said last year before the playoffs that they had a 0% chance of reaching the SCF and I never waved from that.

What are your options for goaltending? Now and/or for the future?

Reimer? Scrivens? I just don't see why there are any Leaf fans that wouldn't want Luongo. Even if he ends up being a stop gap while you develop a goalie. It's not like the Leafs are entering a Cup window.

Honestly. Through drafting. We've sucked all these years, might as well keep doing it and get a proper goalie through draft. For example, Malcolm Subban <-- Dude's fucking awesome. But Boston has him locked. Scouting etc... It's the best chance we got at truly getting a franchise goalie.

I have a feeling this is not about me not wanting Luongo on the leafs but rather canucks fans being on my case for calling Luongo out for what he is.

Like I said, it's more me having an issue with Luongo being a leaf. I don't want his contract, term, he's not getting any younger, he's definitely going to have a NEGATIVE cap hit (especially when he becomes more useless down the line) and in the future when we have a legitimate goaltender... He will fall in the same situation as he is in now with the canucks except this time, the leafs will be looking to unload his ass.

Oh yeah, not only that. Did I mention that we have to give up our prospects and picks for this goalie that can get us to the playoffs. Hoo the fuck ray!

Mhmm a certain gold medal says he CAN perform when it matters. Your sample is ONE Stanley cup final series where he shit the bed. So what. Against that you have countless playoff series and several regular seasons in which he performed admirably. Also it's a bit funny coming from a Leafs fan saying "all that matters is we need a goalie who can win the stanley cup final! Regular season and EVERY OTHER SERIES BEFORE THE FINAL doesn't matter". He lost ONE stanley cup final series, which makes him suddenly a terrible choice for the Leafs, because... I don't know.

I think you have other things to worry about first.

Gold medal this, gold medal that. Wait, let me clear something for you.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/69669/la_id/1.htm

Look at that roster. Look at that roster. Did you even watch the gold medal game? I'm sure you did. Yeah, he won that gold medal game BUT with the team in front of him that was stacked as fuck. Did you watch his actual saves? Hahaahaha. He did what he usually does best, play a solid game and that's it.

Now, did you watch Ryan Miller play for team USA? Holy shit. That's goaltending at its finest for team USA or in general. Ryan Miller deserved the gold medal. Luongo can eat shit. Did you see team's USA roster? It was much weaker than Canada's. Put Luongo in Ryan's Miller seat and guess what happens? Boston 2.0. Yeah, I'm making a bold assumption and I know that but looking the way he played for you guys in Vancouver during the playoffs makes me think that could have easily happened with Luongo.

Regular season don't mean shit, it's basically a coast. He was also terrible against LA. What's your point?

Wolf, X, Markov are all long gone or so it seems :(

MPW is technically a Habs fan, but his incessant depression is a mood killer. In that sense, you're right, he's basically Markov 2.0 :lol

Yeah man. Wolf was awesome. Markov was hilarious. It was fun those days, I'm seriously down for more habs fans in this thread. You guys are pretty hilarious.

Mpw should really post more often. Should represent and give the habs nation some weight in here.

Oh cool

So we want goalies that can't play during the regular season, only the playoffs?

I dunno about you, but leafs didnt make the playoffs the entirety of the last CBA - so I want some regular season performers

$5.3 million to get a really good chance for the playoffs? Fuck yes. Good goalies don't come around often, doesn't matter if they're 30 years and over!

The last 5 times we made the playoffs it was with "over the hill" guys

But you want young guys with loads of potential like Andrew Raycroft

No. I want a goalie that could do both. Reimer can't. Scrivens can't. Luongo can't. We've made the playoffs with guys like Joseph, Belfour etc... But in the end, it didn't get us anywhere but it was definitely fun.

I want someone like Carey Price, Malcolm Subban, Pekka Rinne etc... Not some dead-weight with a terrible contract that's over 30 years of age. How many more years do you think he will give leafs of solid goaltending? Max, maybe 3 years before he starts dwindling down like the old guy that he is at that point.

You're right. But he was good enough to win gold, that's all that matters, really.

Good enough? He wasn't good enough the last I checked to win anything in the playoffs.

Fortunate's argument is like saying Brodeur shit the bed in the olympics, and he lost in game 7 of the Finals last season, so he's not good enough to play for the Leafs, career be damned.

Yes. I wouldn't take Brodeur right now if offered? Why would I? He's wway past his prime. He's not playing like he was. He's a past shadow of his former self.

So maximum contract length is 7, or 8 if you resign with your team?

Suck it haters, after Getzlaf and Perry beast out this year they're going to resign with us and make the Samuellis fork out dat cash.

Marvie_3

Banned
Leafs expect him to play full time starting this year (that's what Burke was saying throughout the summer)

He's PPG on the marlies, at least

Jeff Taffe is a PPG player in the AHL too. Maybe the Leafs could slot him between Kessel & Lupul.

Time to ignore list fortunateson. Holy shit.

CREMSteve

Malcolm Subban just shit the bed royally in the wjc, how is that any different than what happened to Luongo in the finals? Lol

Solo

Oh man, only a 4 month season and like 30% of it will be spent with players having to play themselves into shape. We won't see top flight NHL action until like March.

Top Bottom