• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Merguson

Banned
Like WTF and he hasn't done badly in terms of his job - he keeps getting good players but they fuck up- poor coaching choices sure, but he's been spectacular on trade front

I don't get it.

3.5 years on the job.

Meanwhile a certain general manager of a team that plays at the ACC has been on the job for seven years with disastrous results.

Took them long enough LOL.

Looks like the new ownership have some brains

Some brains?

Nope, shitty raptors gm is still here.

Like WTF and he hasn't done badly in terms of his job - he keeps getting good players but they fuck up- poor coaching choices sure, but he's been spectacular on trade front

I really thought that the Leafs were a goalie away from seriously competing for a playoff spot. Compare the talent now to when Burke took over. This seems like a huge panic move. I wonder if there was an internal fight over getting Lou, or something that caused this.

sammich

LOL.. damn.. this made the start to the season awesome. No idea WHY it had to happen now though. Makes no sense. Why fire him now before the season starts instead of when the season ended. There must have been some headbutting regarding Luongo or something stupid.

Home

As good a way to start the season as any I suppose.

Gonna guess he wouldn't trade for Luongo or some other goalie because of a long term contract issue or something and he got the boot.

Razorskin

----- ------
There are not enough laughs in the universe if he actually got canned, if he decided to leave that's another matter. But anyways...

jksimmonsprjjyq4uex.gif

lupinko

I like Burkie and all and he was given nothing to start off with, but at the end of the day the record still speaks for itself.

The team having the dramatic collapse out of the playoff race sealed it for Burke.

Montresor

As good a way to start the season as any I suppose.

Gonna guess he wouldn't trade for Luongo or some other goalie because of a long term contract issue or something and he got the boot.

If this is true, then the Leafs are absolutely fucked. If Burke doesn't want Luongo, then WE SHOULDN'T GET LUONGO.

In the case that the above is true, I am absolutely not saying that I don't want Luongo. All I am saying is that Burke is the hockey mind at the helm of the Leafs, not the owners. The owners are business suits and NOTHING more. For good or for bad it should be Burke running the Leafs with 100% autonomy until his contract runs out.

For all the good that Burke actually DID do, his entire tenure as GM will be defined by that Kessel trade.

This. That trade really did significantly hurt the franchise though. Seguin plus two other high picks would have been immensely valuable to that team. They still wouldn't have been good over the last few years, but they could be on the verge of something awesome.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I swear- this better not be over luongo

Leafs upper management... Wtf are you thinking??

I will wait until press conf for full meltdown but this is such a bad move

Top Bottom