• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Seriously wtf at the timing of this. Something must have happened in the last 24 hours.

I'm sure hfboards is going insane right now.

Cake Boss

Banned
HEY TORONTO R U READY FOR THIS???

Pierre+Mcguire+2012+NHL+Awards+Red+Carpet+w5CkS9lFIsel.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Our prospects have never been better either :( marlies dominating

It was our defense system and bad goalies

And lupul/gardiner more than makes up for Kessel trade

Fei

Wow. I thought the Leafs had a good shot at the playoffs this season. A move like this can put a franchise in disarray so close to the season.

Merguson

Banned
It's totally gotta be over Luongo or just something personal.

That or BC must have something over the new ownership.

Or the new ownership forgot they owned the raptors?

Montresor

They weren't saying either way but were speculating that the board was getting too involved for Burke's taste.

This franchise is done. =/ What on earth does the board know about hockey. Maybe we'll get better but we're merely going to be a very profitable 1st or 2nd round exit team year in year out, with no chance at the Cup. I bet that becomes the goal for this organization. =/

I'm so upset with this team. I know I should wait for details but it's infuriating to think this firing might have been motivated because the higher ups were meddling in with Burke's job.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
First I've heard this from Mark Zwolinski in the star:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1312635--maple-leafs-fire-gm-brian-burke-reports

Burke was entering the fifth year of a six-year deal, but the landscape with the Leafs ownership. and the immediate need to end seven years out of the playoffs. apparently led to an out-of-nowhere decision.

Leafs ownership changed last winter when Bell-Rogers purchased the majority shares offered up by the Teacher’s Pension Plan. Burke, according to rumours at the time, was told by high-ranking officials within the new ownership group that he had a year to turn things around with his struggling club.

Solo

TODAY, THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THEIR NEW GENERAL MANAGER.....................

Gauthier.jpg

"U MAD?"

Merguson

Banned
This franchise is done. =/ What on earth does the board know about hockey. Maybe we'll get better but we're merely going to be a very profitable 1st or 2nd round exit team year in year out, with no chance at the Cup.

I'm so upset with this team. I know I should wait for details but it's infuriating to think this firing might have been motivated because the higher ups were meddling in with Burke's job.

Don't forget there is new ownership.. and they want to make an impact just like with the Blue Jays.

I figured Burke's job was on the line but I wasn't expecting it at this time.

Like after this season when you see how the Leafs do with some new players and the new coach.

But not now.

Beez

Banned
@wyshynski
"There must be more to this Burke firing" = "We've all heard rumors about Burke we can't report and we'll just assume they're true now."

What are the rumors?

Solo

Revised:

East:

1. Pittsburgh
2. New York Rangers
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. Buffalo
6. Washington
7. Montreal
8. Ottawa
9. Carolina
10. Florida
11. Tampa Bay
12. Winnipeg
13. New York Islanders
14. New Jersey
15. Toronto Marlies

West:

1. Los Angeles
2. Vancouver
3. San Jose
4. Minnesota
5. St. Louis
6. Chicago
7. Detroit
8. Phoenix
9. Nashville
10. Calgary
11. Dallas Stars
12. Anaheim
13. Edmonton
14. Colorado
15. Columbus

Los Angeles vs. Pittsburgh final - Pens win.

Socreges

Banned
Oh fuck this is what Leafs fans do.
You'll also start talking and thinking about Burke more than actual hockey. You'll defend him when he's GM for four years but never acquires a good goaltender. And you may even turn your bathroom into a miniature shrine to him.

Top Bottom