• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Quick

Banned
Are teams actually allowed to do any dealings now, or do they need to wait until the CBA is ratified? I know that Bergevin said he wants to get Subban signed before training camp starts, does he mean he wants everything taken care of now, and PK just needs to literally sign the documents before camp opens on Sunday?

There's also going to be a press conference for the NHL Board of Governors later at 4ET/1PT lol.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Are teams actually allowed to do any dealings now, or do they need to wait until the CBA is ratified? I know that Bergevin said he wants to get Subban signed before training camp starts, does he mean he wants everything taken care of now, and PK just needs to literally sign the documents before camp opens on Sunday?

There's also going to be a press conference for the NHL Board of Governors later at 4ET/1PT lol.

Need to wait with everything until CBA is signed. Technically, there's no new CBA yet, so everything they do now COULD still be invalid by sth in the upcoming CBA. So, they gotta wait. They can certainly TALK and get "deals in principle" ready though. -cough- Luongo -cough-

Quick

Banned
Smiley, your Dragonite is distracting me. It's staring into my Kessel-filled soul.

Thanks. I figured as much. Just got confused when I heard that bit on TSN.

It is cool of Landeskog to be able to stand up for his sexuality.
jvmdragare2.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
lol. It means I'm laughing at your post.

Because of how funny it is.

Funny because it's very wrong.
Have yet to prove anything. Unless your team takes swallows part of that shit contract it's still not worth it.

He gets injured and it's another dipshiteitro. He retires earlier and we're on the hook for penalties. Fuck that shit and the rest of Leafs age should realize that before taking him on because I don't want a scenario where we screw the tram long term for a few seasons.

Again, he's a great goalie that has a some inconsistencies at the worst times. My issue is with that retarded contract your GM gave him.

I'd still rather wait for another potential goalie via trade. Or, fix the shoddy defense.

With all the rumors, it does seem more likely, and a desperate Burke may pull the trigger to save his job, but I still hope he doesn't cause it isn't worth it unless that contract is dealt with.

Sigh, all this Wings bashing last page, surely that can only mean people are still jealous of our success of the last 20 years and that a new season is about to begin and that our demise is predicted yet again for another year.

Detroit is probably going to be a pure offensive team as all of our D except for one is considered a puck mover. However, let's not take away the fact that we have SWISS POINT LEADING PLAYER DAMIEN BRUNNER!!!

you know, for after Howard is shellshocked to oblivion after a constant barrage of 50 shots a game.

Thankfully, when we play Chicago it will only take about 5 shots before they score on Crawford or Emery, heck, Howard could probably score on either one from shooting the puck from his crease 200 feet down the ice.

Well this makes me feel better:

Datsyuk's contract expires after next season, leading to much speculation about whether he will remain with the Red Wings or finish his career in Russia. Greenstin said it's too soon to know what Datsyuk will do. The agent has spoken to Holland about it.

“We go step by step,'' Greenstin said. “My suggestion is he stay in Detroit. Pavel's not a traitor. Right now, they build the team around Pavel and (Henrik) Zetterberg.

“If he stays in North America, he will stay in Detroit. (But), it's too early to talk about things.''

Has been a lot of speculation on what was going on with him.

Edit: Also apparently this is what the lines are going to look like via Babcock (or what he wants):

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brunner
Franzen-Filppula-Samuelsson
Cleary-Helm-Bertuzzi
Tootoo-Abdelkader-Nyquist/Miller/Mursak

Tentative defense pairings are:

Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Smith
White-Kindl/CC

Having both Z and D passing to Brunner is going to be so sweet!

Not to sure about the second line, I like however the 3rd and 4th lines. 3rd line has speed with Helm and hopefully Cleary's healed knee and the 4th is just going to be agitating with Tootoo and Abby.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh, all this Wings bashing last page, surely that can only mean people are still jealous of our success of the last 20 years and that a new season is about to begin and that our demise is predicted yet again for another year.

Detroit is probably going to be a pure offensive team as all of our D except for one is considered a puck mover. However, let's not take away the fact that we have SWISS POINT LEADING PLAYER DAMIEN BRUNNER!!!

Thankfully, when we play Chicago it will only take about 5 shots before they score on Crawford or Emery, heck, Howard could probably score on either one from shooting the puck from his crease 200 feet down the ice.
Only thing I'm jealous of Detroit is that stellar scouting staff.

As for me, I just think losing Lidstrom who has something like 5 or so Norris trophies in the past decade is going to hurt your team. A lot. Not sure why you guys didn't throw money at Suter or Weber.

Losing Pronger took St. Louis a long time to recover.

Only thing I'm jealous of Detroit is that stellar scouting staff.

As for me, I just think losing Lidstrom who has something like 5 or so Norris trophies in the past decade is going to hurt your team. A lot. Not sure why you guys didn't throw money at Suter or Weber.

Losing Pronger took St. Louis a long time to recover.

St. Louis didn't have Datsyuk though, and we did throw money at Suter. I still blame Parise though, I still firmly believe that if he didn't go to Minny, Suter would have been a Red Wing.

FOOTE

St. Louis didn't have Datsyuk though, and we did throw money at Suter. I still blame Parise though, I still firmly believe that if he didn't go to Minny, Suter would have been a Red Wing.

Pronger also wasn't the only major piece the Blues lost at that time. Detroit, I think, is in a better position than the Blues were.

Fucking NHL. Make the schedule so the Blues can send me my tickets.

Pronger also wasn't the only major piece the Blues lost at that time. Detroit, I think, is in a better position than the Blues were.

Like I have said before, while our D did take a big hit, our offense and goaltending situation did get better. Our offense is much deeper than last year which is great and I'm sorry, but I will take the potential The Monster still has over Conklin's pathetic performance last year any day.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
News- #Habs PK Subban contract should be a two year deal worth between 7.5 and 8.2 Million that's something to watch for this week #NHL
From the guy who called the Latendresse Ottawa signing a few days before it happened. It doesn't make sense, we'll see if he's right again.

Pominville said another enjoyable part of the trip was playing on a line with former Sabre Jochen Hecht, who signed a two-year deal over the summer to rejoin his hometown club. Hecht, whose last two years in Buffalo were marred by concussions, is interested in rejoining the Sabres. He has 13 points in six games in Germany.

“He looks great. He’s healthy. He’s the same Jochen that he’s always been,” Pominville said. “Just one of those guys who is so solid at every area of the ice and was playing really well. No health issues. Everything is fine. He’s just staying there patiently and waiting for an opportunity to play. Whatever team gets him — hopefully it’s us — they’re going to have a good player, that’s for sure.”

Later in the day, General Manager Darcy Regier confirmed the Sabres do have some interest in re-signing Hecht and said he would be in contact with the players’ agent.

Oh god no.

$7.5M? Kill me now.

No way could it be that high. I thought that salaries were supposed to go down thanks to the new CBA. I am kind of disappointed that the Flyers are gonna open with the Pens. Those are always really good games and it kind of sucks to waste one early when both teams are going to be out of shape and really sloppy. Does anyone have a sense of how long it took guys to get back into hockey shape the last time there was a shortened season?

Solo

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that Gally might have a shot of making the team out of camp. Whether or not its the best thing for his development remains to be seen, but he could be there.

- Michel Therrien already sounds like he wants him there
- Gally is in shape and game-ready (a lot of the other guys aren't)
- LeBlanc is injured
- We don't have a legit 2nd line LW

I could see them giving Gally a go as the 2nd line LW w/ Pleky and either Cole or Patches (1st line would be the other of Cole/Patches, DD and Gionta), at least for the 9 game tryout. But I'm starting to think he might stay up for all 48.

However, send him back down immediately to Sarnia if he's just getting 4th line minutes.

kJVRA.gif

Losing Lidstrom won't be a big deal, Detroit only loss 7-2 to Montreal last season when he didn't play.

That was just to make you guys feel better after we blew you out 11-1 and Roy was traded the next day back in 95. Took us a while to make it up to you guys, but we had to repay the debt eventually and better to do it when Lidstrom wasn't there. :p

Solo

That was just to make you guys feel better after we blew you out 11-1 and Roy was traded the next day back in 95. Took us a while to make it up to you guys, but we had to repay the debt eventually and better to do it when Lidstrom wasn't there. :p

I'll never forget that game :_(

It was the day the Habs franchise was set back a decade.

Solo

So keeping in mind that I don't watch a lot of Habs games, is PK Subban really worth that much money?

No.

I wouldn't budge a cent over $6M, and even that is more than I'd like to go. But at least $6M feels like market value. $7.5M-$8.2M is highway robbery. He's a dynamic, thrilling player to watch, one that any team would love to have and could be part of any team's core, but I don't see him as a franchise player worth $8M.

ShaneB

I'd be offering Subban like.. 4.5 or something. Anyways, I'm not a gm so what do I know.

One thing I love now with the season starting soon is all the season preview shows going on. Was flipping between Sportsnet and TSN last night, I forgot Steve Kouleas even existed, was neat to see him on That's Hockey again.

Solo

I'd be offering Subban like.. 4.5 or something. Anyways, I'm not a gm so what do I know.

Personally I'd offer a 2 year deal worth $4M-$4.5M per year, then offer him the big contract after that if his performance keeps up. By then, Gomez, Gionta, Kaberle will all be off the books. But allegedly Subban wants a Doughty deal, and he wants it now.

Fucking NHL. Make the schedule so the Blues can send me my tickets.

See Hitch singing praises of Stewart at the informal skates this week? Said he looked like a different player on the ice.

Red_Man

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that Gally might have a shot of making the team out of camp. Whether or not its the best thing for his development remains to be seen, but he could be there.
I've wanted him in to stay in Sarnia all season, but the more I've thought about it the more I think I want him up here. He just toys with other teams in Sarnia now, and even when put in a bad shutdown position at the WJ he did decently well. I saw an interesting thought on twitter about putting him on the LW with DD and Cole. They play the easiest minutes, DD and Gally's play making would be fantastic to watch, and it would let Plekanec have a sniper and power forward to play with. Bourque on the third line could be great if he can get back to who he was.

So keeping in mind that I don't watch a lot of Habs games, is PK Subban really worth that much money? That seems like a lot of money.
Right now? No. In the future will he be? I think so.

Cake Boss

Banned
From the guy who called the Latendresse Ottawa signing a few days before it happened. It doesn't make sense, we'll see if he's right again.
mDPCu.gif

All the GM has to do is show him Karlsson's contract and ask him why he should get paid as much or more.If he keeps being a dick about it I would let someone offer sheet him and pick up 4 1st rounders.

Solo

I've wanted him in to stay in Sarnia all season, but the more I've thought about it the more I think I want him up here. He just toys with other teams in Sarnia now, and even when put in a bad shutdown position at the WJ he did decently well. I saw an interesting thought on twitter about putting him on the LW with DD and Cole. They play the easiest minutes, DD and Gally's play making would be fantastic to watch, and it would let Plekanec have a sniper and power forward to play with. Bourque on the third line could be great if he can get back to who he was.

Yeah, the way I see it is he can't go back to the CHL next year. And since he's too young, he can;'t go to the AHL either.

So I think the lesser of two evils here is a short 48 game NHL season this season rather than starting him off on an 82 game NHL season next year.

- Gally-DD-Cole would be a ton of fun to watch. Cole would be an amazing guy for Gally's development on and off the ice.
- Patches-Pleky-Gionta would be great too, as both Patches/Gio and Pleks/Gio have played together lots.
- Slot Moen-Eller-Bourque on the third.
- Slot Prust-Gomez-Armstrong on the 4th.

ShaneB

Personally I'd offer a 2 year deal worth $4M-$4.5M per year, then offer him the big contract after that if his performance keeps up. By then, Gomez, Gionta, Kaberle will all be off the books. But allegedly Subban wants a Doughty deal, and he wants it now.

Oh he'll get paid and it'll be long term (which I wish had gotten maybe a year or two down from the now max of 8), because he knows if Montreal doesn't pay it, someone will.

2h4fcqf.gif

All the GM has to do is show him Karlsson's contract and ask him why he should get paid as much or more.If he keeps being a dick about it I would let someone offer sheet him and pick up 4 1st rounders.
I thought that the # of picks depends on the size of the contract and he would have to get a Weber like deal to get back 4 1st rounders. I cant see anyone giving him a contract like that.

Red_Man

All Subban has to say in reply to that is "At least I can defend"

This isn't confirmed anyways, just adding it to the mix, because guy has made correct calls before.

Yeah, the way I see it is he can't go back to the CHL next year. And since he's too young, he can;'t go to the AHL either.

So I think the lesser of two evils here is a short 48 game NHL season this season rather than starting him off on an 82 game NHL season next year.

- Gally-DD-Cole would be a ton of fun to watch. Cole would be an amazing guy for Gally's development on and off the ice.
- Patches-Pleky-Gionta would be great too, as both Patches/Gio and Pleks/Gio have played together lots.
- Slot Moen-Eller-Bourque on the third.
- Slot Prust-Gomez-Armstrong on the 4th.
We could make the playoffs with this roster if we can avoid any major injuries.

Solo

I thought that the # of picks depends on the size of the contract and he would have to get a Weber like deal to get back 4 1st rounders. I cant see anyone giving him a contract like that.

If Subban gets offersheeted $7.5M per, Montreal gets 4 1st rounders if they don't match.

If Subban gets offersheeted $7.5M per, Montreal gets 4 1st rounders if they don't match.

Wow, I cant see any team giving up 1st rounders so I guess you guys dont have to worry about him getting offer sheeted. The Flyers desperately need help on defense but no way would I want them to pay him $7.5 and give up all those picks. I wonder if the Habs would be willing to trade his rights for something a bit more reasonable?

Alucard

Banned
No way could it be that high. I thought that salaries were supposed to go down thanks to the new CBA. I am kind of disappointed that the Flyers are gonna open with the Pens. Those are always really good games and it kind of sucks to waste one early when both teams are going to be out of shape and really sloppy. Does anyone have a sense of how long it took guys to get back into hockey shape the last time there was a shortened season?

Crosby and a small gang of Pens have been practicing for weeks. Get ready for DAT ADVANTAGE.

Top Bottom