• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Dave Nonis is the next GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Unclear whether that is interim or unconditional appointment.

Montresor

Confirmed Nonis is the new GM. If Burke wasn't good enough why would Nonis be good enough? Are you kidding me?

edit: Beaten like Manics's wife

Solo

Luongo probably booking his plane tickets right now.

To where? I'd put a LOT more money on the guess that Burke was fired for pursuing Luongo against MLSE's wishes than I would the guess that Burke was fired for not pursuing Luongo while MLSE wanted him to.

Razorskin

----- ------
asT3j.png

FUCK I'LL NEVER GET TO TRY ONE

actually I'd go for a Big Mcguire Dog.

Hunter S.

Lol, at the predictions. Colorado has finished that low like ahhhhhhhh... NEVER.

The young stars you never heard of are all getting better.

Acid08

Banned
Dave Nonis is the next GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Unclear whether that is interim or unconditional appointment.

Surprise surprise

Dave Nonis interim GM.

edit: beaten badly

Hey guys I heard Dave Nonis might be the interim GM next!

You heard it first!

Confirmed Nonis is the new GM. If Burke wasn't good enough why would Nonis be good enough? Are you kidding me?

edit: Beaten like Manics's wife

Dave Nonis is the next GM of the Leafs.. whether that is interim or not.. remains to be seen

Wait what's going on?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Nobody should be surprised about the Burke firing. When you miss the playoffs for 7 straight years on the job in a league where 16 teams make the playoffs (5 years of Burke), you deserve to lose your job.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Surprise surprise
Perfect person to bring in to trade for Luongo. Obviously Burke didn't want him so the owners are replacing him with someone who'll make the trade.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This page is silly with the Nonis announcements. :lol

It's almost a guarantee that Nonis is interim. With that said this could end up being a tankworthy season. Nonis may not be allowed to even make any major moves and just clear the deck for the next GM.

ROFL

Kypreos needs to go to the bathroom and wanted a commercial break, Millard told him to just go, Kypreos got up and almost tripped

Is Shinkaruk a 5 star prospect in the real world like he was in our sim league?

To where? I'd put a LOT more money on the guess that Burke was fired for pursuing Luongo against MLSE's wishes than I would the guess that Burke was fired for not pursuing Luongo while MLSE wanted him to.
Or he lost Loungo, and did nothing for goaltending. I bet they are mad not even Vokun was persued.

Cactus

Banned
I would be happy with Nonis, but I'm terrified if this marks the beginning of another era where the owners put heavy limitations on the GM. Ugh...

Burke going after Luongo makes little sense consider how much he despises cheat contracts like that.

Not to mention he "believes in James Reimer" and he "could have gotten a 1st rounder for him".

Makes more sense that Burke told MLSE to F off when they told him to get Luongo and pay whatever it takes.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Nobody should be surprised about the Burke firing. When you miss the playoffs for 7 straight years on the job in a league where 16 teams make the playoffs (5 years of Burke), you deserve to lose your job.

Nobody is surprised by the firing, we're surprised by the TIMING of it.

Why not fire him at the end of last season? Why fire him right now just before the season starts?

I think you've got it 100% backwards.

The timing of this makes me think they wanted an upgrade at goalie and realized that BB wasnt going to get anyone so they panicked and fired him. Why would you fire your GM to stop him from upgrading your biggest weakness?

Kifimbo

Would not be surprised if something was going on between Burke and his boss for quite some time, and the Luongo thing was the last straw.

Cake Boss

Banned
Rogers/ Bell: Burke we need a goalie, Luongo is good.

Burke: fuck off lol, his contract is shit.

Bell: But he's a playoff goalie

Burke: He sucks balls, and I worked hard during the lockout to prevent these crappy long contracts.

Bell: Brn pls

Nonis: I like the Lolunogo

Bell: Your hired pillsberry dough boy.

lupinko

Knowing how stubborn Burke is, it's probably related to him not wanting Luongo's cheat contract and ownership telling him to be more like Anthopoulous who bet the farm on this coming season for the Jays.

Solo

The good news, Leafs fans: Jays look pretty fucking amazing on paper this year
The bad news, Leafs fans: the Leafs

Top Bottom