• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Quick

Banned
The Eagles did the same thing when they fired Banner last year. Said he would remain with the team as an advisor and a month later he had a job with a different team. I doubt that it will take to long for BB to get another GM job.

This is what happened when Burke stepped down as Ducks GM. They made him a senior advisor, and a couple of weeks/month later, hired by the Leafs.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Senior advisor?!

MY-MIND-IS-FULL-OF-FLUFF.jpg

Fei

Seems pretty much like the Gainey/Gauthier situation in Montreal. So Leafs have another 2 years to hit rock bottom?

toro5741

Former Islander Radek Martinek (underrated defensemen who unfortunately struggled with injury constantly) is skating with the team and will likely be invited to camp.

Guessing thats a safety net for this Visnosky situation. Ol' Lubo is in the lineup for his KHL team today also.

Martinek is a solid bottom pairing defenseman if healthy (big if)... but if that's the insurance for Visnovsky flaking out they're in big trouble.

Socreges

Banned
Realistically, what would you be happy with?
Anything. Luongo is going to be a massive distraction and cannot be bought out. He needs to be traded, as much as I like him. So I'll just be happy to know it's done.

Unfortunately there's not really anything in the Leafs organization that I'd want that might actually be available (Reilly and Gardiner are untouchable). Their prospect pool is not that great. I'd prefer a trade with Florida since they have such prospect depth and might be more willing to part with a B-level one.

The only thing that surprises me about Burke's removal is the timing. We had an 'extended' off-season, so why wait till now? OTOH, if the owners were unhappy with Burke, it made little sense to let him continue as GM.

Now, to my fellow Leafs fans, enough with the weeping and gnashing of teeth. This was a GM who completely and utterly failed to achieve any kind of on-ice success during his 4 year tenure - despite having near total control of the front office. It speaks volumes about the quality of his work that his signings of Gardiner and Reilly, highly rated but yet-to-be-established young players, are the only 2 accomplishments we can cite.

Unfortunately there's not really anything in the Leafs organization that I'd want that might actually be available (Reilly and Gardiner are untouchable). Their prospect pool is not that great. I'd prefer a trade with Florida since they have such prospect depth and might be more willing to part with a B-level one.

Not even Tyler Bozak? Bozak could fill in for Kesler on the 2nd line during the latter's time on the LTIR, and then move down and be a fairly decent 3rd line centre.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
My fear is if Visnovsky doesn't report and they can't count his $ against the cap (not sure if that's the case or not with the cap/CBA) that they might rush Rhinehart, which would be a mistake.

Maybe finally bring up Calvin de Haan instead? I really hope they dont rush Rhinehart.

Socreges

Banned
The only thing that surprises me about Burke's removal is the timing. We had an 'extended' off-season, so why wait till now? OTOH, if the owners were unhappy with Burke, it made little sense to let him continue as GM.

Now, to my fellow Leafs fans, enough with the weeping and gnashing of teeth. This was a GM who completely and utterly failed to achieve any kind of on-ice success during his 4 year tenure - despite having near total control of the front office. It speaks volumes about the quality of his work that his signings of Gardiner and Reilly, highly rated but yet-to-be-established young players, are the only 2 accomplishments we can cite.
Is Reilly even an "accomplishment"? He was a reward for failure.

sammich

So Colangelo was in the last year of his contract and BB was.. on the last year as well wasnt he? What kind of answer was that..

So Colangelo was in the last year of his contract and BB was.. on the last year as well wasnt he? What kind of answer was that..

I think Burke was heading into year 5 of a 6 year contract. 2nd last?

Colangelo is likely gone in the off-season too, even if by some miracle the Raptors finish 8th.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I totally believe mlse did this as a marketing stunt

Get people interested in hockey after lockout

Create drama

Cake Boss

Banned

Easier to wait a couple of months and not renew his contract and look for a new one, then to fire a person in mid season with noone to replace him with.

Top Bottom