• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

GusBus

What is NHL GameCenter LIVE™?

NHL GameCenter LIVE™ is an online service offering streaming video of live regular season games. By becoming a subscriber to NHL GameCenter LIVE™, you will get access to live out-of-market game broadcasts in HD-quality (where available), plus continued access to all your favorite features from NHL GameCenter™. With NHL GameCenter LIVE™ you'll also watch full-length and condensed replays of the games you missed and watch your favorite teams and moments from NHL history with NHL Vault™.

This season, follow the live action everywhere you go.

Use your subscription to access live hockey on smartphones, tablets, and more
Now available on Xbox 360 (Requires Xbox LIVE Gold Membership)
The picture-in-picture display for in-game highlights lets you watch action from around the league without leaving your current game
Create your own replay by rewinding the game and watching in slow motion

360 App on the way?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
360 App on the way?

I'm pretty sure it coming since it was announced last year. The lockout kinda buggered things up. Hope it comes this week.

Edit: From Major Nelson's blog in last June:

o NHL GameCenter LIVE™ (Worldwide except Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden). Hockey fans will be able to enjoy every moment of the live action as it happens on the ice, with live games (out-of-market and blackout restrictions apply), more in-game interactivity, and replays and highlights on demand any time.

@IgorEronko: 2013-01-13 13:38
#KHL head Alex Medvedev says he'll be in NA in February to discuss with #Devils Ilya Kovalchuk's contract buyout to have him back in Russia

ohhh myyy...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Tortorella is moving Gaborik to LW and wants him to be with Stepan and Callahan on the second line. Interesting.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash is the planned top line.

Of course, Torts' premeditated plans tend to last about half a period, but whatever.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Just to keep people up to date

If coyotes are not sold in 2.5 weeks, the likeliness of them being relocated becomes high

New city council... Lease with their egg management fee expires on the 31st...

Apparently Tortorella is moving Gaborik to LW and wants him to be with Stepan and Callahan on the second line. Interesting.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash is the planned top line.

Of course, Torts' premeditated plans tend to last about half a period, but whatever.

Exactly what I was thinking. This ought to last for about a period.

Since everyone's doing it and we haven't had a Marvie "shutup about your fantasy teams" post yet (and I think I can put us over the edge with old man Marv), I'll go:

Toews
M. Richards
D. Sedin
Heatley
Lupul
E. Cole
Ehrhoff
Fowler
Leddy
Gardiner
Sbisa
Gagne
Couturier

Bryz
Nabokov

Decent....

Hehe, the Trade is still pending.

Quick everyone vote against it...

Just kidding. Man what a fair trade, damn you Bruce. You have a stacked team somehow.

Just to keep people up to date

If coyotes are not sold in 2.5 weeks, the likeliness of them being relocated becomes high

New city council... Lease with their egg management fee expires on the 31st...

Wait wait wait... wasn't an announcement meant to be made when the CBA was finalised confirming a sale?

AAAAAAAaaahahahahahahahaha. Jobing.com Arena is going to become a homeless shelter. JOY.

ZeroGravity

20 Predictions for the 2013 NHL Season

1. Caps miss the playoffs. Leafs make it. In both cases, goaltending is the reason why.
2. Erik Karlsson will take a big step back production-wise.
3. We'll find out that all the time in Switzerland did Patrick Kane a lot of good, and he has a career year.
4. With Zach Parise and Mikko Koivu on his line, Dany Heatley starts to kind of resemble the motivated, really good Dany Heatley of old. Like, if you squint a little bit.
5. Dallas' strategy of signing a bunch of old guys whose bodies can't take an 82-game season pays off because they only have to play 48. Stars in the playoffs, led by Jamie Benn and Jaromir Jagr.
6. Cam Atkinson is going to win the Calder Trophy. Sorry, Nail Yakupov.
7. Shea Weber, and not Ryan Suter, will be the one who doesn't look so hot without his ol' runnin' buddy.
8. Jonathan Quick will win the Vezina he should have won last year.
9. One of Anaheim's big three forwards gets shipped out. I mean, it's probably Bobby Ryan but you never know.
10. That Jordan Staal contract will start to look real bad, real fast.
11. Evander Kane puts up another great season, but no one in Winnipeg stops vilifying him.
12. Nine guys will break the 20-goal barrier this year. Rick Nash won't be one of them.
13. No one will actually complain about hockey being played in late June.
14. The Lightning will win the wide-open Southeast. Steven Stamkos will push 40 goals.
15. Jiri Hudler and Dennis Wideman will both make a real strong case for "Dumbest Jay Feaster signing of the summer." Hudler wins by a slim margin.
16. Detroit will barely squeeze into the playoffs because their defense is terrible, and they get routed in the first round. Jimmy Howard looks decidedly human all of a sudden.
17. This will be Teemu Selanne's last season in the NHL, and he still goes a point a game.
18. The Oilers power play will be the only good thing about the Oilers, but man, it's gonna be really, really good. Top-three in the league.
19. Buffalo will prove it did indeed get tough, but having done so won't help them become a better hockey team. They miss the playoffs.
20. Cory Schneider won't be the answer in Vancouver. At least, not any more than Roberto Luongo ever was. At least he's cheaper and younger, though.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Wait wait wait... wasn't an announcement meant to be made when the CBA was finalised confirming a sale?

I don't remember seeing anything official, just that John Shannon was reporting such.

But we've been hearing for like ever that Jamison was really gonna buy the team this time, guys.

I was just waiting for you to see that lolol.

It's a funny list overall, with some predictions being more realistic than others

I can see a lot of that list becoming reality. Especially J. Staals contract, the Wild talent clicking, Karlssons productivity dropping and Buffalo being tougher but not greater.

But seriously, in order for the one of the RPG to be traded they need to have a serious dip in production... Because then they'd be good rental trade bait.

And I hate to say it, but if any of the RPG decline or stay in 2012 form, then it would almost make sense to trade them.

But why would 3 players, with IMMENSE PROVEN POTENTIAL, become terrible players in their contract years?

Cagey

Banned
@IgorEronko: 2013-01-13 13:38
#KHL head Alex Medvedev says he'll be in NA in February to discuss with #Devils Ilya Kovalchuk's contract buyout to have him back in Russia

ohhh myyy...

Luckily for us, New Jersey obv isn't the type of place run by underworld mob bosses, like Russia.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
BUT MEANS GOAL

I know this because whenever the Habs score BUT comes up everywhere on the marquee, which is why I think my mum raised me to be a goalie, because whenever I'd argue with her as a kid she'd go "NO BUTS ABOUT IT"

... hahaaaaaa

But either way, that'd suck from my perspective. I enjoy the commentary and endearing personalities of HNIC commentators and analysts as well as the FSDucks team. And when there's a stalemate during games they've usually got some good banter. Exception to this: FSKings announcers, Jack Edwards and Pens home announcers.

I don't speak French but I know enough words from french class in school to get the gist of what they're saying most of the time. I even know what all of the penalties are in french now!

7. Shea Weber, and not Ryan Suter, will be the one who doesn't look so hot without his ol' runnin' buddy.

Why is everyone so worried about Weber? Suter is steady, but he's not worth the money he's being paid.

Its basically.

EVERY TEAM WILL SUCK AND ALL THEIR BEST PLAYERS WILL SUCK. FUCK YOU AND FUCK HOCKEY.

Here is a better read.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...erry-ryan-getzlaf-take-priority-on-ducks.html

Now THAT'S sensible logic. But the article also scares the hell out of me... Either way, I'm really glad to hear that Getzlaf waited for the CBA to hammer out first, but it might speak more of his Fehr-drunkening (IE: assuming he's going to get GREATER than the shitty back-loaded deals of Suter/Parise calibre)... which is, according to the article, exactly what Perry is looking for.

What's wrong with 7-8m at 4-5 years?

I got a very big question answered for me from this article though... What was Samuellis stake in the whole "Owners playing hardball in the CBA negotiations" embargo? They're obviously a small market team, but aren't exactly Phoenix or Columbus, were they playing hardball during the CBA meetings and being a part of the "Jacobs crew of cronies" who were swaying Bettmans hand?

Did Samueli get what he wants from the CBA? This is probably the biggest question. He wanted major changes. Anaheim's market size prevented the Ducks from qualifying from revenue-sharing in the prior CBA, a situation that no longer exists.

They're rich lawyers who love Californian hockey (because it means dollar signs in the future), it makes sense that the new CBA now tailors for the Anaheim market (and as a result) their wallets.

Murray's quote shows hope that his boss is ready to step up and deliver. In about two weeks, we'll know where everyone stands.

Best case scenario: Getzlaf and Perry are about to get paid. And thankfully the new CBA means it won't be Parise/Suter paid either.

Outside the organization, another theory is that Burke was unsure about including Nazem Kadri in any potential Roberto Luongo trade. Reason? What if Anaheim decided to move Perry or Getzlaf? It's harder to do it without Kadri in return. It comes down to priorities -- if you do decide to trade him, who is your first choice?

no no NO NO NO. No more dealing with Toronto. I don't care how much Nonis has a relationship with Murray... NO MORE DEALING WITH TORONTO. If I wake up to "Perry for Kadri" I'm going to fucking nail a railroad spike into the nearest Leafs fans.

Except Kane, for some reason.

Which turned into WINNIPEGGERS FUCKING SUCK instead.

Solo

Nope:

1. Caps miss the playoffs. Leafs make it. In both cases, goaltending is the reason why.
3. We'll find out that all the time in Switzerland did Patrick Kane a lot of good, and he has a career year.
4. With Zach Parise and Mikko Koivu on his line, Dany Heatley starts to kind of resemble the motivated, really good Dany Heatley of old. Like, if you squint a little bit.
5. Dallas' strategy of signing a bunch of old guys whose bodies can't take an 82-game season pays off because they only have to play 48. Stars in the playoffs, led by Jamie Benn and Jaromir Jagr.
6. Cam Atkinson is going to win the Calder Trophy. Sorry, Nail Yakupov.
8. Jonathan Quick will win the Vezina he should have won last year.
14. The Lightning will win the wide-open Southeast. Steven Stamkos will push 40 goals.

Yep:

2. Erik Karlsson will take a big step back production-wise.
9. One of Anaheim's big three forwards gets shipped out. I mean, it's probably Bobby Ryan but you never know.
10. That Jordan Staal contract will start to look real bad, real fast.
11. Evander Kane puts up another great season, but no one in Winnipeg stops vilifying him.
12. Nine guys will break the 20-goal barrier this year. Rick Nash won't be one of them.
13. No one will actually complain about hockey being played in late June.
15. Jiri Hudler and Dennis Wideman will both make a real strong case for "Dumbest Jay Feaster signing of the summer." Hudler wins by a slim margin.
16. Detroit will barely squeeze into the playoffs because their defense is terrible, and they get routed in the first round. Jimmy Howard looks decidedly human all of a sudden.
17. This will be Teemu Selanne's last season in the NHL, and he still goes a point a game.
18. The Oilers power play will be the only good thing about the Oilers, but man, it's gonna be really, really good. Top-three in the league.
19. Buffalo will prove it did indeed get tough, but having done so won't help them become a better hockey team. They miss the playoffs.
20. Cory Schneider won't be the answer in Vancouver. At least, not any more than Roberto Luongo ever was. At least he's cheaper and younger, though

Oh fuck off Solo.

CBC 30 thoughts Article said:
25. One coach was asking about travel and days off. In the new CBA, players are to be given four days off per month -- two at home and two on the road -- to be set in advance and not "altered absent compelling circumstances." Here was his question: "Let's say we play Saturday in Vancouver and Tuesday in Dallas. If we fly out after beating Vancouver, but land early Sunday morning, does it count as a day off if I don't schedule anything until Monday?" The answer is yes, as long as you fly out right after that game. If you wait until the next day to travel, it does not count as a day off.

26. You know who this is bad for? Owners of The Roxy.

aaaaaaaahahahaha.

I wasn't expecting a Joe Smith reference in a hockey article. Still feels bad.

I didn't want to Google that, without divulging into NBA-age territory too much, what's the basic jist of the situation? He said he'd sign for 8 years after a 1 year signing?

dstrdly pls

Ryan will look great in a market that actually appreciates him.

Ducks fans love him. What the fuck are you talking about? Go find me a Ducks fan that doesn't, go on, I'll be here.

Cagey

Banned
I wish I could be in the same room as Lou and Medvedev. I can only imagine the tension.

Underneath the negotiating table, each man would have a lead pipe on their laps, ready to pounce.

Lou's lead pipe helped get us in cap compliance a few times, although it required sacrificing players for the Greater Good.

Rodeo Clown

I didn't want to Google that, without divulging into NBA-age territory too much, what's the basic jist of the situation? He said he'd sign for 8 years after a 1 year signing?

The Wolves didn't have the money to sign Smith to a big long term deal outright, but he signed a cheap 2 year deal with the Wolves, then he signed a big extension later. The NBA crushed the team: they got docked 5 first round picks, Smith's contract was voided, the GM got suspended for a year, and the team had millions in fines.

The Wolves didn't have the money to sign Smith to a big long term deal outright, but he signed a cheap 2 year deal with the Wolves, then he signed a big extension later. The NBA crushed the team: they got docked 5 first round picks, Smith's contract was voided, the GM got suspended for a year, and the team had millions in fines.

Holy shit. Wolves fans just got FUCKED.

So basically Bill Daley is saying that under the new CBA, NHL teams can do a similar thing, but if it's obvious or there's evidence that they've circumvented it with verbal agreements then they'll be laying the smack down?

These are things that the common fan would never even think about until they happen. No wonder the CBA took so long to hammer out.

But can the NHL afford to fuck fans of NHL teams like the NBA can afford to?...
Well if it's one thing we've learned lately, the NHL has no problems with fucking fans

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

oh shiiit, that's quite the penalty. What kind of evidence did they have oO?

EDIT: I think my favourite from that cbc article is:

27. The new agreement also includes a rule that players will have a minimum of nine hours off "overnight between the time they arrive at the team hotel on a road trip and the time the players are obligated to report the next day for practice or another work-related activity or meeting." That one's right out of the Canucks playbook and is part of the NHL and NHL Players' Association's fight against the sleep drug Ambien.

Forced/Allotted sleeping time sounds like something for little children.

Canucks incentives: $1 concessions and 50% off merchandise during the first 3 home games. No cheaper tickets.

Meh.

GameCenter Live will be $50 or $60 for the season.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
that wolves thing sounds like the main problem is agreeing to a contract outside of the CBA which is very, very, very bad.

there is strict rules these days in terms of signing players.

CrankyJay

Banned
Heh, Sabres team president Ted Black is awesome

Black said 30 people cancelled their season tickets. He's going to call each one to make sure it wasn't just an "emotional decision" and give them the choice to keep them. That's a great thing to do considering the waiting list to become a season ticket holder.

Solo

Habs lines in practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole,
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Eller-Moen
Prust-White-Armstrong
Dumont

LOVE that Gally is on the second line, but fucking HATE the line itself. Ugh. Gionta's style is pretty much diametrically opposed to Gally's and Pleky/Gio's chemistry isn't good. Swap Cole and Gionta pls.

Rodeo Clown

Holy shit. Wolves fans just got FUCKED.

So basically Bill Daley is saying that under the new CBA, NHL teams can do a similar thing, but if it's obvious or there's evidence that they've circumvented it with verbal agreements then they'll be laying the smack down?

These are things that the common fan would never even think about until they happen. No wonder the CBA took so long to hammer out.

But can the NHL afford to fuck fans of NHL teams like the NBA can afford to?...
Well if it's one thing we've learned lately, the NHL has no problems with fucking fans

I can't even really say, "We got screwed" because what they did was pretty flagrant and gross. Smith was a UFA coming off some pretty good years with the Warriors, and the way the NBA cap works (or doesn't, really) is that you can go over to sign your own players. It was basically a way for the team to get his rights and then sign him to the kind of market value deal he would have really commanded. It was totally cap circumvention.

oh shiiit, that's quite the penalty. What kind of evidence did they have oO?

I don't really remember, but there was apparently some kind of evidence of a promise between the GM and Smith's agent, assuring him that he'd get the big extension.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Habs lines in practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole,
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Eller-Moen
Prust-White-Armstrong
Dumont

LOVE that Gally is on the second line, but fucking HATE the line itself. Ugh. Gionta's style is pretty much diametrically opposed to Gally's and Pleky/Gio's chemistry isn't good. Swap Cole and Gionta pls.

Galchenyuuukkkkkkkkkk

Can someone explain to me how you use a VPN? Are the free ones any good or do you need to get one of the $5 a month ones I was reading about (or are they just bullshit)?

Would I be able to use a VPN to make my Xbox think I'm not in Chicago so they won't black out Hawks games via Gamecenter? $50 sounds kind of tasty...

Quick

Banned
:lol, with GSP?

Edit: Fuck, I can't wait for Saturday

iX2Vd2c96C3nC.gif

Top Bottom