• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Heretic

1. All we do is ween ween!
2. Gally was so fucking happy to get that shootout goal :lol
3. THE GREAT DAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEE hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggg my man crush is out of control. Did you see that look on his face after he scored? It was a classic Kane/Seguin shit-eating "yeah, I'm fucking awesome" grin. Such SWAGGER.

NO

This team can't buy a goal right now. Oh well, got work in the morning, maybe I can wake up to the news that they actually won but who knows with this team.

CREMSteve

I'm just going to go with that this team just doesn't know how to play together half the time.

Still in amazement how we haven't scored on the PP on the road yet, pretty much highlights the problems this pathetic team has.

Wings are outplaying Calgary pretty badly, especially in the 1st. Give it time, Calgary will choke.

CREMSteve

I posted this on another forum the other day, seeing how as I have a few fellow Flame fans here right now, I'll post it here.

If the Flames do finally realize that it's overhaul time, as a Flames fan, here's along the lines of what I'd hope they'd try to accomplish. Not saying these deals would all fly, but I think they're all pretty damn close.

To PHI: Jay Bouwmeester (D) (Flames eat a portion of salary)
To CAL: Sean Couturier (C)

To PIT: Jarome Iginla (RW)
To CAL: Joe Morrow (D), 2013 1st round pick

To STL: Mark Giordano (D), 2013 3rd round pick
To CAL: Ty Rattie (RW)

To NYR: Chris Butler (D)
To CAL: 2013 3th round pick

To OTT: Cory Sarich (D)
To CAL: 2013 4th round pick

To EDM: 2013 5th round pick
To CAL: Linus Omark (LW)

To BOS: Curtis Glencross (LW), Tim Jackman (RW)
To CAL: 2013 1st round pick, 2013 4th round pick

To NYI: Alex Tanguay (LW), Roman Horak (C) OR Max Reinhart (C), Michael Ferland (RW) and Danny Taylor (G)
To CAL: Nino Neiderreiter (RW)

To WAS: Mike Cammalleri (LW)
To CAL: 2013 1st round pick

To FLA: Miikka Kiprusoff (G)
To CAL: Dmitry Kulikov (D)

To OTT: Lee Stempniak (RW)
To CAL: 2013 2nd round pick

Then you let almost all of your UFAs walk at the end of the year (only ones you re-sign being Roman Cervenka and Brian McGrattan).

Babchuk, Anton » D CGY 28 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Comeau, Blake » L CGY 27 $1,250,000 2013 (UFA)
Carson, Brett » D CGY 27 $575,000 2013 (UFA)
MacDonald, Joey » G CGY 33 $550,000 2013 (UFA)
Walter, Ben » C CGY 28 $537,500 2013 (UFA)
Kolanos, Krys » C CGY 31 $525,000 2013 (UFA)
Begin, Steve » L CGY 34 $525,000 2013 (UFA)

Then you sign the following UFA.

Nystrom, Eric (LW)

Then you use your newly acquired three 1st round picks (giving you four, in total), 2nd, 3rd and 4th (x2) round picks to continue building a deeper bench.

Roster next season looks something like this.

I3YF5MW.png

RpOLOKb.png

The rebuild would be complete in one fell swoop. Salary cap would be well under the new cap of 64M next season.

To recap:

IN:
Couturier
Neiderreiter
Nystrom
Omark
Kulikov
Morrow
Rattie
Wotherspoon
Breen
And a whole swack of draft picks.

OUT:
Iginla
Cammalleri
Tanguay
Glencross
Stempniak
Horak
Jackman
Babchuk
Comeau
Macdonald
Begin
Giordano
Bouwmeester
Butler
Sarich
Kiprusoff

Yeah, in my dreams, lol.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think in 2014 he will. The goalie pickings this offseason are very slim. Briere will be the 2013 buyout.

Yup, the only way Bryz gets bought out this year is if they acquire another goalie in a trade at the end of the season.

Briere should be the first candidate for the amnesty buyout. And I will jump for fucking joy when that happens.

CREMSteve

After 4 years of this crap, I want an overhaul. Pretty much the only survivors would be the guys they signed this past offseason, along with Backlund, Brodie and Baertschi.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
After 4 years of this crap, I want an overhaul. Pretty much the only survivors would be the guys they signed this past offseason, along with Backlund, Brodie and Baertschi.

I don't think Bouwmeester gets you Couturier, it would have to be a young guy with a high ceiling like Subban.

CREMSteve

Stempniak scores, 3-2 Flames.

Stupid Calgary, doesn't even know how to tank a season. They'll win just enough to keep the hope alive, and miss the playoffs while giving up the top 3 draft slot they currently hold.

Idiots.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Feaster will probably look toward Montreal for inspiration, but I'm not sure if they have enough left over to make that same transition. The Edmonton model hasn't exactly inspired confidence.

zedge

I posted this on another forum the other day, seeing how as I have a few fellow Flame fans here right now, I'll post it here.

If the Flames do finally realize that it's overhaul time, as a Flames fan, here's along the lines of what I'd hope they'd try to accomplish. Not saying these deals would all fly, but I think they're all pretty damn close.

To NYI: Alex Tanguay (LW), Roman Horak (C) OR Max Reinhart (C), Michael Ferland (RW) and Danny Taylor (G)

Then you let almost all of your UFAs walk at the end of the year (only ones you re-sign being Roman Cervenka and Brian McGrattan).

Nystrom, Eric (LW)

Then you use your newly acquired three 1st round picks (giving you four, in total), 2nd, 3rd and 4th (x2) round picks to continue building a deeper bench.

I3YF5MW.png

RpOLOKb.png

The rebuild would be complete in one fell swoop. Salary cap would be well under the new cap of 64M next season.

To recap:

IN:
Couturier
Neiderreiter
Nystrom
Omark
Kulikov
Morrow
Rattie
Wotherspoon
Breen

OUT:
Iginla
Cammalleri
Tanguay
Glencross
Stempniak
Horak
Jackman
Babchuk
Comeau
Macdonald
Begin
Giordano
Bouwmeester
Butler
Sarich
Kiprusoff

Yeah, in my dreams, lol.
That's amazing. Fire Fester, you're hired. ;-)

Does anyone else ever feel bad for backup goaltenders when they open up like this? I do :( dont like to see them get fleeced even against my team, just because its do goddamn competitive and its fly or die.

And fuck comeau! Stop scoring goals, for the love of god. I dont know what its gonna take to expose him to management but we have way better talent at the farm.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions

Nystrom, Eric (LW)

I3YF5MW.png

RpOLOKb.png

To recap:

IN:
Couturier
Neiderreiter
Nystrom
Omark
Kulikov
Morrow
Rattie
Wotherspoon
Breen

OUT:
Iginla
Cammalleri
Tanguay
Glencross
Stempniak
Horak
Jackman
Babchuk
Comeau
Macdonald
Begin
Giordano
Bouwmeester
Butler
Sarich
Kiprusoff

Yeah, in my dreams, lol.
Haha. Linus Omark on an NHL 3rd line.
You don't want to do that. Seriously. Take it from an Oilers fan who knows what shit teams look like.
You need to surround your high-end prospects/rookies/newbs with experienced veterans. You don't want to rush prospects to the NHL. Let them learn in the minors. Let them learn before they sign an NHL contract and before they start that countdown to their RFA/UFA contracts.

The Oilers blow it up approach was done by accident. Khabibulin and injuries helped a lot. I wouldn't recommend it. It may have worked for Pittsburgh, but there's only 1 Sidney Crosby. It's sort of working for Edmonton but we got lucky with 3 #1 (and counting!! awww yeaaa) picks and some other luck (Jordan Eberle, Justin Schultz, etc.)

If you really field a roster with that many youngsters, the following will probably happen:
- you will lose. a lot.
- your fans will be pissed.
- your prospects will not develop properly.
- nobody will want to play for your team.
- once your prospects get good, your team will probably still be crap, and their entry-level contracts will need to be re-upped.

I'm not saying that the Flames shouldn't blow-it-up. I'm just saying that you can't field an NHL team with so many unproven NHLers.

v44wmyB.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Feaster will probably look toward Montreal for inspiration, but I'm not sure if they have enough left over to make that same transition. The Edmonton model hasn't exactly inspired confidence.
We were never as bad as 15th though, Calgary is and they don't have the depth of young players like we do. It's not that surprising that Montreal is able to turn it around so quick when you consider we have a #1 D man top line scoring winger two top line centers and a number one goalie all under the age of 30.

The reason Edmonton is so shit compared to Chicago and Pittsburgh is because they're soley depending on their draft picks. Their FA signings and trades have been terrible.

That is what I am afraid of(the oilers). I'd like a moderate rebuild..keep iggy around for the fans and the younguns, hes a good leader. They really need to cut a few bloated contracts, and "the fat" and build around the core of a few vets + our current new talent and some economical additions. I just dont like the idea of blowing the whole fucking thing up, I dont think were there, were close, but not quite yet.

Top Bottom