• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Davey Clarkson might be going to Vegas along with a 1st + prospect

remarkable

a trade worthy of creeper I'd say

d96.jpg

Sounds like Yandle(?), Bieska and Phaneuf have been asked to waive their NMC.

I really don't understand why Florida is asking Yandle to waive. Was he bad this year?

Sounds like Yandle(?), Bieska and Phaneuf have been asked to waive their NMC.

I really don't understand why Florida is asking Yandle to waive. Was he bad this year?

I think Tallon is doing some funky math to protect all the D, really doubt Vegas wants to pick up Yandle with that term and money as an expansion team. Would make zero sense to lose him without a good replacement.

PillarEN

Had a laugh with the Glixel podcast as they touch on The Last Night.

They talk about how the guy made weird comments in 2014 and how his description of the game is how radical feminism won in the future bla bla bla. And then John Davison goes:

"but what I love,is that knowing that, the product description from Microsoft is clearly, like mindful of that, because... *reads description* "meet a diverse, inclusive cast of complex characters to interact with." "They PR'd the shit out of that hahaha"

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Disappointed the Preds couldn't force a game seven, but there's also relief in not having to listen to Subban hot takes all summer had he won.

Now were are all these trades I've been told were going to happen?

Lol just saw this

What would Bargainbin want for him? I mean you're not gonna get a decent top 6 center for him
I always assumed he would be in some kind of package for a top 6 player.

zroid

Banned
Bergevin was Chicago's director of player personnel when Seabrook signed his first long term contract, and after signing it was soon promoted to assistant GM

maeks u think

Solo

The Beaulieu trade will be nothing for nothing and probably isn't worth wasting too much time speculating on.

Fun fact. Montreal's 1st round picks since Timmins' one good year, 2007:

2008* - Danny Kristo: 0 NHL games played
2009 - Louis Leblanc: 50 NHL games played, in the Swiss League now
2010 - Jarred Tinordi: 53 NHL games played, in the AHL (Arizona's farm club) now
2011 - Nathan Beaulieu: 225 NHL games played, about to be traded in the next 6 days
2012 - Alex Galchenyuk: 336 NHL games played, maybe traded in the next 6 months
2013 - Michael McCarron: 53 NHL games played, in the AHL now
2014 - Nikita Scherbek: 3 NHL games played, in the AHL now
2015 - Noah Juulsen: 0 NHL games played, still in junior
2016: Mikhail Sergachev: 4 NHL games played, still in junior

* actually a 2nd round pick, Habs traded their 1st for Tanguay

So that's:
- bust
- bust
- bust
- mini bust
- arrested development; could still be a star in the right situation
- bust
- bust
- too soon to tell
- too soon to tell, but since the Habs project him as a #1D, he'll probably bust

So out of 9 drafts, all we really have to show for it is the enigmatic Galchenyuk and Sergachev's potential.

Woof.

Red_Man

The Beaulieu trade will be nothing for nothing and probably isn't worth wasting too much time speculating on.

2010 - Jarred Tinordi: 53 NHL games played, in the AHL (Arizona's farm club) now
2011 - Nathan Beaulieu: 225 NHL games played, about to be traded in the next 6 days

So that's:
- bust
- bust
- bust
- mini bust
- bust
- bust
- too soon to tell
- too soon to tell, but since the Habs project him as a #1D, he'll probably bust

So out of 9 drafts, all we really have to show for it is the enigmatic Galchenyuk and Sergachev's potential.

Woof.
In what world are Scherbak and McCarron busts? Late first round picks, and Scherbak is only 21 and McCarron is 22. You do realize Guentzel is 22 and only played 40 games this year? Some kids take more time to develop, we aren't talking about Marner and Nylander over here.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

So that's:
- bust
- bust
- bust
- mini bust
- bust
- bust
- too soon to tell

Woof.

I think most teams who pick outside of the top 10 have pretty underwhelming first round success.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

So that's:
- bust
- bust
- bust
- mini bust
- bust
- bust
- too soon to tell

Woof.

what positions did you pick? I don't even want to look up the Canucks' record of first-round picks...

Solo

I understand that most aren't day one players. But McCarron has logged enough time in the NHL to get a decent look at him, and he hasn't shown much. The Habs desperately would love for him to become their Lucic, but I just don't see it. Lehkonen aside, that 2013 draft was just dreadful for them, including the likes of mega plug JDLR. I must say though that Lehkonen was a gem of a pick, easily the best later round pick since Gallagher.

Scherbek hasn't been given a chance, and we had guys like Flynn, Mitchell, Ott, etc. in the lineup. If he's not good enough to get a slot over those guys, I'm finding it hard to believe he'll become an impact player. He's had 3 NHL camps under his belt so far and hasn't managed to stick yet.

Solo

McCarron is absolute trash

I didn't want to go that far, but yeah, no lies detected.

Why can't Montreal, in 10 years since drafting Pacioretty, draft and develop someone who can reliably put the puck in the net? It's infuriatingly frustrating.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't want to go that far, but yeah, no lies detected.

Why can't Montreal, in 10 years since drafting Pacioretty, draft and develop someone who can reliably put the puck in the net? It's infuriatingly frustrating.

Probably because drafting outside of the top 10 is a crapshoot.

Skimming through drafts, only Washington seems to have some decent success drafting from 10-30, and Ottawa has hit a couple home runs, with some terrible busts as well.

Red_Man

what positions did you pick? I don't even want to look up the Canucks' record of first-round picks...
Majority of the Habs picks have been late first which are dice rolls, and it's part of why the Habs junior depth isn't as good as a lot of teams. Hard to draft and develop stars when you're continually picking in the 20-30th range.

Scherbek hasn't been given a chance, and we had guys like Flynn, Mitchell, Ott, etc. in the lineup. If he's not good enough to get a slot over those guys, I'm finding it hard to believe he'll become an impact player. He's had 3 NHL camps under his belt so far and hasn't managed to stick yet.
Ott playing over guys like Scherbak and Hudon is stupid, but it's not because they believe those other guys are shit. Bergevin has constantly brought up patience, particularly with prospects. Like I said, Guentzel is 22 and only played in the NHL this year, and look how great of a season / playoffs he's had. Nothing wrong with taking time in the AHL.

imBask

Banned
Majority of the Habs picks have been late first which are dice rolls, and it's part of why the Habs junior depth isn't as good as a lot of teams. Hard to draft and develop stars when you're continually picking in the 20-30th range.

Ott playing over guys like Scherbak and Hudon is stupid, but it's not because they believe those other guys are shit. Bergevin has constantly brought up patience, particularly with prospects. Like I said, Guentzel is 22 and only played in the NHL this year, and look how great of a season / playoffs he's had. Nothing wrong with taking time in the AHL.

Except playing in the AHL with the Canadiens development team is a death sentence.

We aren't playing in the same league as the Penguins

Solo

bask dropping those truth bomb hot takes

Our organization sucks at almost every level. Our owner only cares about beer sales and filling the Bell Centre, our GM has no idea how to build a team, our drafting is suspect, we have almost no prospects, our current team is a mess, and our AHL development is a tire fire.

But hey, we have a good coach and Carey Price.

yyzjohn

Banned
bask dropping those truth bomb hot takes

Our organization sucks at almost every level. Our owner only cares about beer sales and filling the Bell Centre, our GM has no idea how to build a team, our drafting is suspect, we have almost no prospects, our current team is a mess, and our AHL development is a tire fire.

But hey, we have a good coach and Carey Price.

Trevor Timmins though. :-/

Top Bottom