• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

DCZP0b4XsAE4E0X.jpg

Robin Short‏
@telyrobinshort

Some rumblings ex-IceCaps coach Sylvain Lefebvre may join Housley's staff in Buffalo. Strange, given no previous connection between the two

LOL

Would be the highest paid player on the leafs 😎

that's unsustainable tho

name one team that is front loaded, doesn't spend much money on defense and has an ok goaltender who won a cup in the past month. Betcha ya can't

Lol yeah the Leafs have some really awesome contracts for the next 2 years or so, after that....

People are getting paid and it ain't gonna be pretty for the Leafs cap situation.

PillarEN

OK so the Leafs will pump a shit ton of money into Matthews and Marner. Nylander might be able to stay or not.

Didn't somebody say in the playoff thread that all you need is two dominant forwards to win some Cups if you plop a decent team around them?

Curufinwe

that's unsustainable tho

name one team that is front loaded, doesn't spend much money on defense and has an ok goaltender who won a cup in the past month. Betcha ya can't

Murray's a bit better than OK.

If they were stuck with just MAF they don't win this year or last.

yyzjohn

Banned
Lol yeah the Leafs have some really awesome contracts for the next 2 years or so, after that....

People are getting paid and it ain't gonna be pretty for the Leafs cap situation.

As of right now, the Leafs have 6 guys under contract when Matthews/Marner come out of ELC. I'm​ sure they can manage.

As of right now, the Leafs have 6 guys under contract when Matthews/Marner come out of ELC. I'm​ sure they can manage.

They will if they're stingy with free agents until then but if they're gonna be a regular playoff team they'll probably want to sign some names. Who knows what contracts will be on the books by then.

Solo

I may take flack for this, but I'd rather see Patches traded than AGally.

I'm with you there actually. Patches has a great contract which would be attractive to a lot of teams, and he's going to get way overpaid next time. And besides, Drouin is now our #1 LW.

I also don't think Radulov resigns. And if he doesn't, I think AGally stays.

yyzjohn

Banned
They will if they're stingy with free agents until then but if they're gonna be a regular playoff team they'll probably want to sign some names. Who knows what contracts will be on the books by then.

It's no secret that the big 3 are gonna get paid. Leafs aren't going to blow their brains out on big deals before then. They've already started laying the groundwork about how difficult it is to even make the playoffs "look at Tampa, everyone expected them to be in...". I think this management team isn't stupid like previous regimes, they won't go for a quick fix but will stick with the Shanaplan.

PillarEN

YOu guys think Radulov is leaving Montreal? Where will he go? Vegas?

Edit: He's no longer a married man, so he can go wherever he wants without thinking of anyone else. A slum like Detroit it is.

Yawnier

Banned
OK so the Leafs will pump a shit ton of money into Matthews and Marner. Nylander might be able to stay or not.

Didn't somebody say in the playoff thread that all you need is two dominant forwards to win some Cups if you plop a decent team around them?
I'm sure Leafs management woukd get rid of other young guys like Hyman, Brown, etc who are due new contracts before shipping Nylander out of town. I also doubt Komarov, Bozak, and JVR will be on the team in a few years, they all have expiring contracts for next year. Decently managed teams realize you can only keep so many complimentary players long term

Mentok

Banned
I'm with you there actually. Patches has a great contract which would be attractive to a lot of teams, and he's going to get way overpaid next time. And besides, Drouin is now our #1 LW.

I also don't think Radulov resigns. And if he doesn't, I think AGally stays.
Exactly, Patches could net a better return.
I don't think we keep Rads, which kinda sucks to be honest.

calder

Gino Reda needs to retire 5 years ago. He actively makes That's Hockey worse ever day now.

Thank Christ Lebrun was there to roll his eyes at the Doughty to the Leafs bullshit, albeit too politely.

Mentok

Banned
Did anybody hear Pierre McGuire's comments? "Habs are swinging for the fences... Traded away their future to win now". I didn't realize Drouin was very old at 22. Shoot, looking at the ages of most of our forwards, I really hope they do trade Patches now.

Did anybody hear Pierre McGuire's comments? "Habs are swinging for the fences... Traded away their future to win now". I didn't realize Drouin was very old at 22. Shoot, looking at the ages of most of our forwards, I really hope they do trade Patches now.

Pierre is being a stick in the mud. There's nothing wrong with the trade for either team. He'd probably trade Price because he came from off the reserve

Solo

McGuire is just a noted moron who has a chip on his shoulder with respect to the Habs for not making him GM.

I wonder what number Drouin is going to wear? Obviously #27 if AGally is traded, but if he's not, I can't see Drouin wearing #72. Maybe #29?

Syrinx

McGuire is just a noted moron who has a chip on his shoulder with respect to the Habs for not making him GM.

I wonder what number Drouin is going to wear? Obviously #27 if AGally is traded, but if he's not, I can't see Drouin wearing #72. Maybe #29?
Wearing Ken Dryden's retired number, sounds like a good idea.

Top Bottom