• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I want an NHL anime. It would be wonderful. It could be done in the shonen style with different players having different special abilities that require episode-long powering up.

Everybody in the NHL has the personality of a Naruto filler character, though.

Why doesn't every team with even the tiniest bit of cap space try to offer sheet Athanasiou?

PillarEN

They pity Detroit too much. That's why.

Oh well. Get plenty of ice time in Russia. Probably play on the top line or second at worst. Lots of PP time. Come back when there is cap space 2 years from now.

yyzjohn

Banned
We going to take best on how long The Athletic lasts as a paid service? I give it 3 years
4 if the Leafs win the Cup in that time

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
BEST DRAFTING TEAM IN THE NHL. HIDDEN GEMS.

Only blatant homers say this. Sadly, there are many of these people.

Why doesn't every team with even the tiniest bit of cap space try to offer sheet Athanasiou?

No GM wants to be the first one to open Pandora's Box when it comes to offer sheets.

We going to take best on how long The Athletic lasts as a paid service? I give it 3 years

I can't decide. I'm not sure if they'll be able to convince subs (like me) to re-up next year. I did really like their in-season Leafs and Raptors content. Normally I'd be all over the Jays but ... it's been an exhausting 2 years.

calder

I think it'll last longer than most current "free" sites tbh.

The only online sports sites with significant traffic and content are either vestiges of old-media (newspapers, TV nets) or "fan" networks that exist by exploiting freelancers to work for free or nearly free for a while before moving on to the next college kid who needs to fill a portfolio. I don't see how either of those things can last much longer without shrinking even more than they have the last few years.

The other main sports content sites I guess are aggregators who are dependent on non-paywalled sports news being generated... somewhere. Or I guess BleacherReport can just switch to scraping tweets exclusively. ;)

Silexx

I think it'll last longer than most current "free" sites tbh.

The only online sports sites with significant traffic and content are either vestiges of old-media (newspapers, TV nets) or "fan" networks that exist by exploiting freelancers to work for free or nearly free for a while before moving on to the next college kid who needs to fill a portfolio. I don't see how either of those things can last much longer without shrinking even more than they have the last few years.

The other main sports content sites I guess are aggregators who are dependent on non-paywalled sports news being generated... somewhere. Or I guess BleacherReport can just switch to scraping tweets exclusively. ;)

This is the problem isn't it? All these media outlets are failing because they decided that they would just give away their content for free online. Now the Athletic comes in with this novel idea that you have to pay for their content and everyone just scoffs.

Cake Boss

Banned
Their best idea was to grab a bunch of writers that I don't like and put them behind a pay wall. Thank you Athletic!

I can only stand so much of Pierre Lebrun talking about "big boys hockey" and Drew Broughty for so long.

calder

This is the problem isn't it? All these media outlets are failing because they decided that they would just give away their content for free online. Now the Athletic comes in with this novel idea that you have to pay for their content and everyone just scoffs.

But will people still scoff when the only thing you don't have to pay for is horribly written, unedited fanposts on a couple of websites? There will always be game recaps from AP/CP or the NHL itself, but most fans who are looking for sports content are looking for more in depth news and stuff like detailed draft rankings or trade analysis I think and that stuff will disappear as newspapers continue to go paywall or TV networks trim original reporting. I think a bigger question is how many paid content sites would be enough and whether anyone can figure out a way to make it easy for people to pay to access multiple sites.

Coincidentally, Joe Sheehan (whom I pay every year to email me baseball analysis) was interviewed at Awful Announcing about this last week.

PillarEN

You want your sports website to be successful? Gifs gifs gifs. Every game should have a summary of 20 gifs. Gifs make the internet world go down round.

calder

Their best idea was to grab a bunch of writers that I don't like and put them behind a pay wall. Thank you Athletic!

There is always a worry they'll get Jason Botchford or Steve Simmons but hey there's a risk of clicking on a tweet now and seeing Damien Cox's fucking mug on a byline so that's already a terrifying possibility in this shitty world we live in.

Yawnier

Banned
Oh shit Mike Johnson is gonna be on Leafs Lunch.

Hopefully this means Patrick O'Sullivan is gone... for actual good this time

calder

The Rangers have named Brian Leetch and Brad Richards as "Hockey Operations Advisors." Whatever that means.

Hockey Ops departments are so nebulous now they can be anything. In the old days when an owner wanted to pay some old guy he watched as a kid to hang around and golf with him they needed to do a personal services contract on the side. Now they can just name them to the team and give them a title.

I always hope they are just getting paid to meet and greet season ticket holders during off season charity events anyways. I have a really bad impression of the average old NHL players ability to gauge talent in the modern game, especially the former star players.

Hockey Ops departments are so nebulous now they can be anything. In the old days when an owner wanted to pay some old guy he watched as a kid to hang around and golf with him they needed to do a personal services contract on the side. Now they can just name them to the team and give them a title.

I always hope they are just getting paid to meet and greet season ticket holders during off season charity events anyways. I have a really bad impression of the average old NHL players ability to gauge talent in the modern game, especially the former star players.
Pens have been doing a great job with the old players we are keeping around though. Gonchar as development coach and no assistant. Tocchet as assistant. Guerin as AGM. Recchi as player development coach and now assistant.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So uh.... it's "Fuck Dreamers" day today, eh.

fuck them for their crime-free education and work history while they pay taxes and receive no benefits... because their parents brought them here as toddlers. Let's deport them all to countries they've likely never been to or don't speak the language of. They're a better representative of America and the American Dream than Trump ever was or ever will be.

If POS is gone I might actually listen again.

he's just telling it like it is, john

he's on the show to provide impartial analysis

he's not a cheerleader (like you, Andy)

if you want sugar-coated stuff don't listen

if you have a problem with it don't listen

Perhaps the most bizarre and cringyest bit of sports radio I've heard in years

yyzjohn

Banned
he's just telling it like it is, john

he's on the show to provide impartial analysis

he's not a cheerleader (like you, Andy)

if you want sugar-coated stuff don't listen

if you have a problem with it don't listen

Perhaps the most bizarre and cringyest bit of sports radio I've heard in years

See I took his advice, I stopped listening. I'm sure TSN was happy with that.

Alucard

Banned
Pens have been doing a great job with the old players we are keeping around though. Gonchar as development coach and no assistant. Tocchet as assistant. Guerin as AGM. Recchi as player development coach and now assistant.

Such a model organization, that Pittsburgh. More teams should follow this model. The Pittsburgh model: a standard of excellence.*

calder

Right now, $40 or whatever a year is fine for well written (mostly) and well edited sports writing.

Agreed! I paid ESPN a bit for Insider largely because Pronman did so much interesting work. Now I can pay The Athletic a bit less to get way more hockey shit so I'm down for that.

What the heck, calder. You get a farking beisbol newsletter and you're never in mlb-gaf?!

Lol, I'm too lazy to keep up with the MLB thread. I read it at times but JaysGAF seems strong enough. And - real talk - this season has been so yucky for the Jays (and not just bad results, but deathly dull bad!) I haven't been watching a lot of baseball period. I will be back for the playoffs though, I love MLB's playoffs even with the wonky format.

Lol, I'm too lazy to keep up with the MLB thread. I read it at times but JaysGAF seems strong enough. And - real talk - this season has been so yucky for the Jays (and not just bad results, but deathly dull bad!) I haven't been watching a lot of baseball period. I will be back for the playoffs though, I love MLB's playoffs even with the wonky format.

This and last season have been brutal. Last year was 'successful', but it was this same kind of inconsistent, weak-ass, stress-inducing play. And it really sucks watching a guy like Bautista, who still doesn't 'look' old, decline so much.

Socreges

Banned
The Jays being shit has been a wonderful, wonderful gift. Last season a coworker/friend of mine suddenly, coincidentally decided that baseball is the best sport on Earth and would give me regular, unsolicited updates. This season he's been very quiet and chooses to give me Leafs offseason updates instead. 🙂

yyzjohn

Banned
The Jays being shit has been a wonderful, wonderful gift. Last season a coworker/friend of mine suddenly, coincidentally decided that baseball is the best sport on Earth and would give me regular, unsolicited updates. This season he's been very quiet and chooses to give me Leafs offseason updates instead. 🙂

Oh, I'm surprised you love this.

Jays being shit made me appreciate the Raptors more.

But aren't the Raptors perennial disappointments too? All I know is they were expected to lose badly to the Cavs last year and they still managed to underwhelm and borderline embarrass themselves.

I trust the Raptors to have more success than the Jays for years to come. The Raptors are a very young team. Jays have to hope Bo and Vladimir Jr are golden gods.

Socreges

Banned
Oh, I'm surprised you love this.
Haha... I'm a hockey fan. I'm at least familiar with the Leafs so when I'm told that they resigned Connor Brown I have something to say/mock. Hearing about the Jays is just boring, especially with no frame of reference.

Marvie_3

Banned

I can only stand so much of Pierre Lebrun talking about "big boys hockey" and Drew Broughty for so long.
Thats like 99% of hockey writers to me. Same dumb bullshit, just worded differently.

calder

Something kinda funny that happened this summer that I forgot about:

The Price was right: For a market that seems to get riled up about every minor detail, there never was much consternation about whether the Canadiens would lock up Carey Price long-term. That turned out to be well-founded. Marc Bergevin signed his “franchise player” to an eight-year, $84-million extension on July 2 – one day after becoming eligible to do so. The deal, which carries through 2025-26, makes Price the highest-paid goaltender in NHL history. When the contract kicks in 2018-19, only McDavid will have a higher salary cap hit than Price ($10.5 million). Most of the deal ($72 million) will be paid out in yearly installments as a signing bonus. It also includes a full no-trade and no-movement clause for Price, who said it would be “too weird” to play for another team. “This is all I’ve ever known and it’s all I ever will know, I hope,” said Price, who will be 38 when the deal is up.

I know the Habs had no choice really, and he was inevitably going to be overpaid a bit in dollars and a lot in term, but still... damn.

The Jays being shit really just makes me feel terrible for my grandmother. She's like 90 and not a super happy person but she fucking loves her Jays. Still watches almost every game, despite their struggles. Don't know how she does it.

The Jays being shit really just makes me feel terrible for my grandmother. She's like 90 and not a super happy person but she fucking loves her Jays. Still watches almost every game, despite their struggles. Don't know how she does it.

My grandpa is 76 but the same way. Bandwagoning on to the team in 2015 at least gave us a hobby to share since we don't have many.

Jays being shit sure highlights how different baseball can be versus hockey with regards to team building.

Quick

Banned
Anyone else outside of BigJonsson and myself watch SportsCenter with Jay and Dan last night?

They're basically doing a fancier version of SportsCentre, on a nicer set. Seems like a missed opportunity to fully branch out into something new rather than adding to the old show. I think TSN needs more varied programming. Then again, it's only been an episode and it was fairly safe stuff (heckling bit aside), so it really could get better.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else outside of BigJonsson and myself watch SportsCenter with Jay and Dan last night?

They're basically doing a fancier version of SportsCentre, on a nicer set. Seems like a missed opportunity to fully branch out into something new rather than adding to the old show. I think TSN needs more varied programming. Then again, it's only been an episode and it was fairly safe stuff (heckling bit aside), so it really could get better.

I liked it.. Pretty solid first show considering they havent done an actual highlight show in a long time.

I'm sure they have a plan to grow the show and introduce new bits etc.

Even with the credit they still likely have at TSN, their thing did flop in the US. Probably less leash this time.

Ondor

Banned
Hey Habsgaf, just spent a week in Montréal on vacation. Seriously amazing place. Thanks for having a great city.

And also for most of you being bilingual.

Top Bottom