• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

Alucard

Banned
Feeling better about game five, gang. Think this extra day off benefits the Penguins more. Just a feeling. Hope Bonino will be back.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Feeling better about game five, gang. Think this extra day off benefits the Penguins more. Just a feeling. Hope Bonino will be back.

The pens are due for a great game. Haven't had a performance up to their ability in 4 games. Coming home with sully making his usual later series adjustments should get them going

a916

The pens are due for a great game. Haven't had a performance up to their ability in 4 games. Coming home with sully making his usual later series adjustments should get them going

The Pens are more due for a series slipping away from them from their poor play... Fleury stole countless games they were outplayed. Eventually it has to cost them a series, no? They were fortunate to win Game 1

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
The Pens are more due for a series slipping away from them from their poor play... Fleury stole countless games they were outplayed. Eventually it has to cost them a series, no? They were fortunate to win Game 1

The only team that really could he argued outplayed them would be Washington and yeah great goaltending. But rinne also played great these last 2 games. The last 2 years I'd say they've outplayed every team they've faced over a series other than Washington. Even then they've had to rely on PP especially last year. Pens ran into hot goaltenders in both ECF while dominating. Then jones was red hot last year in the finals. Penguins usually get better as the series goes along.

Socreges

Banned
I think Pens take game 5 and then likely the series. Preds would have swept by now were Rinne not so poor in games 1 and 2.

The only team that really could he argued outplayed them would be Washington and yeah great goaltending. But rinne also played great these last 2 games. The last 2 years I'd say they've outplayed every team they've faced over a series other than Washington. Even then they've had to rely on PP especially last year. Pens ran into hot goaltenders in both ECF while dominating. Then jones was red hot last year in the finals. Penguins usually get better as the series goes along.
Nashville have outplayed the Pens all series apart from a couple short stretches. We'll see if goaltending lets them down like it did Washington.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I think Pens take game 5 and then likely the series. Preds would have swept by now were Rinne not so poor in games 1 and 2.

Nashville have outplayed the Pens all series apart from a couple short stretches. We'll see if goaltending lets them down like it did Washington.
Game 2 I would say pens outplayed them. It was even other than a 3 minute stretch which favored the pens. They were outplayed in game 1 but it's not like Nashville was hammering them on offense. They had less than thirty shots. They had power play goals and guentzel had a great shot to win. Game 4 was pretty evenly played with a lot of quality scoring chances for pens just couldn't quite get the bounces and rinne made some crazy saves.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Game 4 was absolutely stolen from the Pens by Rinne. Some huge defensive lapses by the Preds (especially Josi/Ellis) that I pray won't happen again tonight. Even Pekka at his best can only do so much on his own.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It really is kind of useless to talk strategy, because everyone knows that the fate of the series depends on whether Rinne wants it or not, and not much else.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
It really is kind of useless to talk strategy, because everyone knows that the fate of the series depends on whether Rinne wants it or not, and not much else.

It also depends on which clothes we decide to wear at home, if we're sitting in our lucky spot, whether or not we've jinxed the team before hand.

There are a lot of factors here.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It also depends on which clothes we decide to wear at home, if we're sitting in our lucky spot, whether or not we've jinxed the team before hand.

There are a lot of factors here.

I heard that a man in Clarksville has shaved his beard this morning.

Devastating to the Preds, if true.

the pens have all playoffs failed to come up with an attack plan that works consistently without Letang's ability to move the puck from the backend. Its been interesting to watch the games where we make shit happen anyway and how. Its usually D crashing and creating turnovers, or long drawn out zone time once a solid entrance can be made. There is nothing consistent about any of our strategies.

Game 5, hopefully we just come up with some dumb shit that works again. Its been what got us this far, that and some stellar goaltending in desperate moments.

j-wood

At what point do we stop this nonsense of "the pens are due a great game" and start saying that maybe, just maybe, the Preds defense is really throwing them off?

Alucard

Banned
At what point do we stop this nonsense of "the pens are due a great game" and start saying that maybe, just maybe, the Preds defense is really throwing them off?

The defense which allowed two breakaways and almost a third last game? That defense?

Preds are playing well, though. No argument there.

zroid

Banned
The defense which allowed two breakaways and almost a third last game? That defense?

Preds are playing well, though. No argument there.

alu please. even Team Canada allows breakaways to Latvia. that's not an example of bad defence. it's hockey, shit happens.

Pikma

Banned
Are you suggesting that the result of any given game is due to nothing but pure luck?
Don't believe him?

Here's a chart that can prove it

scribble.jpg

zroid

Banned
Not going to link the article because it's not worth the click, but there's a pittsburgh writer claiming that Nashville is artificially amplifying the crowd noise. he claims that he has "tested" it. :lol :lol

Cactus

Banned
Nashville is doing a pretty good job suppressing Pittsburgh's shot totals so far (approx 23 per game).

The Pens averaged approximately:
34 vs Ottawa.
23 vs Washington
34 vs Columbus

Alucard

Banned
Not going to link the article because it's not worth the click, but there's a pittsburgh writer claiming that Nashville is artificially amplifying the crowd noise. he claims that he has "tested" it. :lol :lol

This is fucking amazing. Is the writer Rob Rossi? God, I hope so.

Alucard

Banned
Nashville is doing a pretty good job suppressing Pittsburgh's shot totals so far (approx 23 per game).

The Pens averaged approximately:
34 vs Ottawa.
23 vs Washington
34 vs Columbus

Agreed. The Preds' defense has done a good job of boxing out the Pens. The Pens have also had a shit cycle game down low when hemmed into their own end, which just eats up more clock time and adds to Nashville's zone time. This is where Letang's presence would have helped.

An article that doesn't chastise Subban for not playing the white way from SN. Breaks his play down in terms of shot attempts, pass success and turnover rates.

The conversation surrounding Subban in Canadian media has always been weird, with a large contingent of respected journalists who refuse to recognize his great play without a qualifier of some kind. Whether that has to do with the strength of his team, too much offence, or too little, there’s always something.

The facts we have available show that even though Subban’s team is clearly strong, he stands out in a big way, has been the complete opposite of risky, and his team has significantly more success with him on the ice than off of it despite Peter Laviolette constantly giving his pairing the heavier matchups.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Any sane Habs fan knew this already.

Every defenseman who prefers to carry the puck out of the zone over dumping it off the glass will always have some spectacular giveaways, and a lot of people will only remember those plays.

Socreges

Banned
Any sane Habs fan knew this already.

Every defenseman who prefers to carry the puck out of the zone over dumping it off the glass will always have some spectacular giveaways, and a lot of people will only remember those plays.
He's gotten more disciplined with age, though, no question.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
He's gotten more disciplined with age, though, no question.

Certainly, but he was always the best defenseman in Montreal, not counting his offensive contributions.

I'm sure some idiots would rather have Hal Gill blocking a hundred shots and laying in the crease on a 5 on 3 regardless.

zroid

Banned
folks i regret to inform you that Glenn Healy is at it again on PTS

healy: subban isn't making an impact in the series

damien cox: subban is doing a great job facing the other team's best players

healy: subban isn't facing top competition. LOOK AT THE NUMBERS

cox: actually he is though...

healy: trust me he isn't

cox: well why was Crosby beaking him about his breath if he wasn't on the ice against their best players?

healy: because it was a road game and his breath smells bad

cox: (awkwardly) that's some... interesting analysis Glenn

Yawnier

Banned

cox: well why was Crosby beaking him about his breath if he wasn't on the ice against their best players?

Cox is actually right for once. Wow

PillarEN

I missed all the politics enjoying the sun. So is Trump in some shit or is it just anther day at the office?

What about the UK?

Chris R

Cities are so different.

Tens of thousands of fans all hyped as fuck, partying like crazy in the heart of downtown vs a few hundreds of people crowded around a few empty parking lots

Pikma

Banned
I missed all the politics enjoying the sun. So is Trump in some shit or is it just anther day at the office?

What about the UK?
Another day at the office, he will never get into serious trouble unless the Republicans turn on him, and that just won't happen.

Socreges

Banned

Good gravy what a cunt

Another day at the office, he will never get into serious trouble unless the Republicans turn on him, and that just won't happen.
I promise you they will have no choice but to turn on him if the FBI investigations amount to anything. At some point you're just ensuring years of damage to your own career and to the party if you continue to support a president who is proven to be on the wrong side of the law.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Good gravy what a cunt

I promise you they will have no choice but to turn on him if the FBI investigations amount to anything. At some point you're just ensuring years of damage to your own career and to the party if you continue to support a president who is proven to be on the wrong side of the law.

gCTRFRw.jpg

Top Bottom