• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

Marvie_3

Banned
You should come play with wsox and me

Ahahahahahahahaha
oWJBYHh.gif

True. I always had fun. :)

Also, I still have you and Schu's wedding pic on my wall.
What a magical day. 😂😂😂😂😂

yo i heard a credible rumor that some folks in Pittsburgh had sprayed some unknown medical substance on the ice around Pekka's goal before games 1 and 2, something that makes you just a little dizzy and slower to react than normal, as you breathe in the vapors throughout the game. kind of scummy if true IMO.

well it was actually in a dream i had last night BUT isn't it exactly what someone in Pittsburgh might do to bring down Pekka? just asking questions and getting this out there..

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
yo i heard a credible rumor that some folks in Pittsburgh had sprayed some unknown medical substance on the ice around Pekka's goal before games 1 and 2, something that makes you just a little dizzy and slower to react than normal, as you breathe in the vapors throughout the game. kind of scummy if true IMO.

well it was actually in a dream i had last night BUT isn't it exactly what someone in Pittsburgh might do to bring down Pekka? just asking questions and getting this out there..

Goalies don't change ends or anything

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

Sounds like something PK would do. Maybe that explains Murray

bill0527

I like our chances. I still think Nashville has significantly outplayed Pittsburgh all series. The Pens are damn lucky they haven't been swept and they would have been swept outside of some dumb puck luck in game 1 and a 3 minute stretch in game 2.

Alucard

Banned
I like our chances. I still think Nashville has significantly outplayed Pittsburgh all series. The Pens are damn lucky they haven't been swept and they would have been swept outside of some dumb puck luck in game 1 and a 3 minute stretch in game 2.

Hard to disagree with any of this, but yeah, we'll see what happens. Pittsburgh has managed to find a way to eek out unlikely wins all playoffs.

Socreges

Banned

Hard to disagree with any of this, but yeah, we'll see what happens. Pittsburgh has managed to find a way to eek out unlikely wins all playoffs.
QUALITY

OVER

QUANTITY!

Calamari41

41 > 38
I don't think that underdogs do better in the NHL due to "luck" so much as the combination in hockey of low scoring games and not needing much actual time to put a puck in the net. If you get possession of the puck, you can be shooting it at the goal within seconds. It also shouldn't be forgotten that hockey has a mechanism whereby a team can give themselves an extra attacker at the end of a game, increasing their odds of coming back from a close deficit and taking momentum into overtime. Of course this can also lead to an empty-netter, but then the empty-netter still just results in the team losing like they would have anyway.

A pretty good level of parity also means that the NHL doesn't really have as many instances of an Alabama vs Southwest Eastern Mississippi Tech type of matchup.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
hockey is all about luck, didn't you guys watch the new Vox video? basketball is the most skill-based teamsport, hockey the least. scientifically proven. science is science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNlgISa9Giw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What is this bullshit

The NHL has more parity and that's why it's more luck than skill? What kind of BS logic is that

There's parity due to the salary cap and similar budgets getting similarly skilled players. There's also the difference in rolling different lines every shift which changes the matchups unlike basketball where the changes happen less often.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I have a tough time with basketball, since each individual basket doesn't really matter that much. The whole "last five minutes are what really matters" thing is also ruined with the "foul foul foul foul foul foul foul" strategy that is employed in close games. Games can be really fun to watch, but most of them are just ehhhhh

imBask

Banned
I have a tough time with basketball, since each individual basket doesn't really matter that much. The whole "last five minutes are what really matters" thing is also ruined with the "foul foul foul foul foul foul foul" strategy that is employed in close games. Games can be really fun to watch, but most of them are just ehhhhh

American football is the same, the game doesn't really matter before the last 5 min of play, and they also call a billion timeouts at that point

maybe it's a cultural thing (?)

Calamari41

41 > 38
American football is the same, the game doesn't really matter before the last 5 min of play, and they also call a billion timeouts at that point

I don't see football the same way, but I'm also very well versed in the minutiae and strategy of it all. You might see a low scoring game and be bored that there is no offense, but I see a masterfully crafted defense stifling the opponent. Its why I don't talk shit about soccer, which I don't enjoy, because I know that I just am not getting everything that's going on strategy-wise.

PillarEN

I don't see football the same way, but I'm also very well versed in the minutiae and strategy of it all. You might see a low scoring game and be bored that there is no offense, but I see a masterfully crafted defense stifling the opponent. Its why I don't talk shit about soccer, which I don't enjoy, because I know that I just am not getting everything that's going on strategy-wise.

Not quite. Good defense in american football is good defense. A low scoring game in soccer might be only because one of the lesser skilled teams decide to park a bus in front of the net. Not fun or masterful.

zroid

Banned
What is this bullshit

The NHL has more parity and that's why it's more luck than skill? What kind of BS logic is that

the logic is correct, probably just not explained properly. outcomes being influenced by luck isn't the same thing as saying skill doesn't matter. "luck" is just a proxy for variance, and when skill is more equitable, then variance is more often what determines the outcomes. variance means the bounces and, more often, goaltending being hot or cold on a given night.

Pikma

Banned
the logic is correct, probably just not explained properly. outcomes being influenced by luck isn't the same thing as saying skill doesn't matter. "luck" is just a proxy for variance, and when skill is more equitable, then variance is more often what determines the outcomes. variance means the bounces and, more often, goaltending being hot or cold on a given night.
giphy.gif

imBask

Banned
Not quite. Good defense in american football is good defense. A low scoring game in soccer might be only because one of the lesser skilled teams decide to park a bus in front of the net. Not fun or masterful.

not fun sure, but there is some merit to it. An MLS team wouldn't be able to park the bus against Real Madrid

Alucard

Banned

Thank you. I can't stand football. Especially live. It's so goddamn boring and has too much stop-go to be really engaging to watch.

What is this bullshit

the second image in the OP of that thread shows what they mean. As zroid said, it's the variances we can observe/control over those we can't. Both have an effect to the various degrees

Calamari41

41 > 38
The pain of waiting another day for the SCF 😔

What's the league's rationale for having a two day break in between almost all of these Finals games? If I'm a normie, I've checked out by now. They need to build and maintain a sense of excitement if they want non-fans to start following this sport.

Top Bottom