• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL13 EASHL - Natural Born Penalty Killers |OT2| Cheese, Chimps and Championships

Also here's a play from last nights Habs / Flyers game that I think we could pull off easily in the game and score pretty easily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzLSMHmvb6M#t=1m55s

That was a nice goal, but as far as it translating to the game it's more of an individual move than a "play". I see it attempted all the time against me and as long as you are shading the puck handler to his forehand he wont ever get the shot off. All it is is lulling the defender to sleep on your backhand then quick stopping to open up a forehand shot. It was just executed to perfection in the video.

Stat!

Tonight, Cool Lemon returns*

*cues music for awesome entrance*

*depending on when the Leafs game is over and/or when the Leafs lose.

moop1167

JacobyJonesTDcelebration.gif

GGs tonight.

Stat!

GGs everyone. Milly, moop, and I had some beautiful highlight reel goals and some great give and go plays.

And as always, none of that could have been done without the solid defending by Dok and Schuey who bail us out when things don't go as well.

Thoughts?

402A0001_0_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_JdO_zps76919cce.jpg

I like them more than anything I've come up with this time around, but not sure how receptive everyone is to the Devils logo. I'm a Flyers fan and I don't mind using it...

two possible tweaks?

1) my OCD tells me to match the pattern of the stripes on the home jersey with the socks, i think the stripes on the jersey look better (white with orange outline) than the socks (orange with white outline)

2) and I think the primary color of the numbers on the away jerseys would look better as orange since there's a lot of grey featured already

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like them more than anything I've come up with this time around, but not sure how receptive everyone is to the Devils logo. I'm a Flyers fan and I don't mind using it...

two possible tweaks?

1) my OCD tells me to match the pattern of the stripes on the home jersey with the socks, i think the stripes on the jersey look better (white with orange outline) than the socks (orange with white outline)

2) and I think the primary color of the numbers on the away jerseys would look better as orange since there's a lot of grey featured already

Thanks. On the away jersey I just forgot to make the numbers orange. I also agree with the sock change.

Sticking with the Stars would work well I think. Thought I would try it with a different N logo.

Thanks. On the away jersey I just forgot to make the numbers orange. I also agree with the sock change.

Sticking with the Stars would work well I think. Thought I would try it with a different N logo.

you have my vote, but we will have to wait to see what the majority thinks

yay or nay on Schuey's jerseys?
yay or nay on the Devils logo?

what say you, peons?

alright that's 3 out of 10

I think by the American Electoral College "method of determining important shit", this actually equals a majority somehow

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I like his jersey colors, pretty Meh on the Devils logo. I'll be on tonight after the Habs game if I'm still awake from this shit.

Milly79

It's not just you, Schuey. It's all of us. We have to find better ways to adapt and play around what we're given. Tonight we ran into a bunch of big hitting teams, which I thought would suit our style well, but they stand us up time after time and we have no counter to it. We have to stop forcing cross crease. It's not 100%. It's not even 50%. If you have a guy trailing, throw it behind you. If there is a forward horizontal (there is probably better wording for this) to you, pass it to him, rather than the guy that is in the back door. Use the defense more. They're never going to learn how quick they have to move the puck if we never use them...

Idk what else to say. Our "strategy" only works for so long before we're completely shut down and shit the bed. I, for one, love using the boards, but it gets iffy as you have literally 0 time to react to people coming at you.

Feel free to chime in...

Delryk

Snow day.. dont feel like driving in white shit today..

Ill prolly be on this afternoon. I played 3 dropins in goal and had 3 goals against.. lots of breakaways on me.. i was surprised how well it was going..

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It would be nice to get the puck more along the boards, but the way the gameplays it makes it is pretty hard and risky because 1) the player misses the puck it seems half the time especially in cases where the players are closer together, 2) can be tricky to get a effective pass off quickly, because 3) players are generally on you so quick. For me it seems the way NHL13 plays makes it really hard for D to get involved in the play without taking risks or maybe we just need to play some practice games and work on it.

Delryk

Turning takes to long and blind passes are a disaster. No other plays than to pass right back (or dump it the way it came from) or shoot on net. Most of the time anyway. On the powerplay though, you can actually get things going because most teams are less aggressive.

Milly79

Maybe our D should play some games at forward to get a feel for it? That could be a good bet... It's just natural for myself when I play D to know how quick to react, and I'm sure Legit is the same way. You don't get much set up time, but I'd say you get at least 3 seconds to throw it on net, etc.

I may just start playing D more myself. My offensive game has really went down lately and I've been playing more defensively because of that.

And Moop: I think you're gonna be our next best thing at center (if no one else is on). I think your game suits the position well, BUT. If you're going to play center, why the hell am I always trailing the 3rd forward/slot duty and you're waiting at the point for a breakout?

RS4-

Feels good when you're at the point and a) you shoot the puck it'll be blocked or b) throw it along the wall where it gets picked off or c) go across to the other dman and... Gets picked off

moop1167

Maybe our D should play some games at forward to get a feel for it? That could be a good bet... It's just natural for myself when I play D to know how quick to react, and I'm sure Legit is the same way. You don't get much set up time, but I'd say you get at least 3 seconds to throw it on net, etc.

I may just start playing D more myself. My offensive game has really went down lately and I've been playing more defensively because of that.

And Moop: I think you're gonna be our next best thing at center (if no one else is on). I think your game suits the position well, BUT. If you're going to play center, why the hell am I always trailing the 3rd forward/slot duty and you're waiting at the point for a breakout?

Everyone does that at Center because getting the puck up the ice in this game from the D zone is fairly easy. I play low a lot of the times but I feel like the wings are always REALLY high so I'll miss out on getting up in the play if I stay too low. I've played LW for like 3 years so I am almost conditioned to cheat since it's so easy to get fast breaks in this game. That's something I'll be sure to pay more attention to.

As far as the cross-crease thing... I rarely try this any more. That's why I'll try to speed up or slow down right before I pass to draw the D to me so I can make a pass. It's also why a lot of times when it's a 2 on 1 or there are two of us side-by-side bringing the puck up the neutral zone and I try to cut behind the puck carrier and shit, but for some reason no one wants to be creative and I look like a clown when it doesn't work lol.

Milly79

Feels good when you're at the point and a) you shoot the puck it'll be blocked or b) throw it along the wall where it gets picked off or c) go across to the other dman and... Gets picked off

We all know this. I'm more so talking about making a decision before losing it. You're good at getting it on net/moving it.

Everyone does that at Center because getting the puck up the ice in this game from the D zone is fairly easy. I play low a lot of the times but I feel like the wings are always REALLY high so I'll miss out on getting up in the play if I stay too low. I've played LW for like 3 years so I am almost conditioned to cheat since it's so easy to get fast breaks in this game. That's something I'll be sure to pay more attention to.

As far as the cross-crease thing... I rarely try this any more. That's why I'll try to speed up or slow down right before I pass to draw the D to me so I can make a pass. It's also why a lot of times when it's a 2 on 1 or there are two of us side-by-side bringing the puck up the neutral zone and I try to cut behind the puck carrier and shit, but for some reason no one wants to be creative and I look like a clown when it doesn't work lol.

Yeah, I hear you. If I'm playing wing I'm generally in the slot/chasing the 3rd forward anyway as a lot of teams don't use their D or they really aren't good at generating a scoring chance from back there. I'd rather take the chance of them potentially scoring there, rather than a forward not being covered.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I am thinking of changing my D build. I get knocked down way too easy it seems. I want to maintain a decent amount of speed as well.

Milly79

I am thinking of changing my D build. I get knocked down way too easy it seems. I want to maintain a decent amount of speed as well.

Try out a two way? I'm an 81 at Legend 3 with balanced stats. Noticed you were an 85 at Legend 1, so I'd assume you're a DF dman. I think you sacrifice a lot to do that in this game with the new engine. You have to be able to be agile.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Try out a two way? I'm an 81 at Legend 3 with balanced stats. Noticed you were an 85 at Legend 1, so I'd assume you're a DF dman. I think you sacrifice a lot to do that in this game with the new engine. You have to be able to be agile.

Will do!

edit: also want to adjust my height and weight

here's my defenseman build, hopefully it helps...

LEGEND 3 - OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN - 6'3 215

Bold = Maxed Out

OFFENSE
80 Deking
80 Handeye
90 Off. Awareness (+5)
88 Passing (+5)
88 Puck Control (+5)

65 Slap Shot Accuracy
67 Slap Shot Power
74 Wrist Shot Accuracy
82 Wrist Shot Power

DEFENSE
69 Aggressiveness
77 Body Checking
90 Def. Awareness (+5)
80 Discipline

65 Faceoffs
65 Fighting Skill
65 Shot Blocking
85 Stick Checking (+5)

ATHLETICISM
90 Acceleration (+8)
90 Agility (+8)
77 Balance

66 Durability
80 Endurance
89 Speed (+8)
73 Strength (+5)

HOCKEY SHOP
1st Row - Stick Check +5 | Def. Awr. +5 | Off. Awr. +5
2nd Row - Acc. +5 | Spd +5 | Spd +3
3rd Row - Acc + 3 | Agl + 5 | Agl +3
4th Row - Passing +5 | Puck Control +5 | Strength +5

----------

Offense - Passing, Off Awareness and Puck Control are essential in that order. Think about how you contribute to the offense most as a defensman. HINT, its not shooting or deking. Max those 3 stats out and then do whatever with the rest of your points. A little more in hand eye is not a bad idea to keep you from bobbling passes that aren't perfect. Shooting power in either slap or wrister is more important than accuracy, this has been proven for years.

Defense - Max out Def. Awr, and Stick Checking. Give yourself some points for discipline which keeps the tripping penalties down. Nothing else to dump points into after that except some Body Checking.

Athleticism - This section is really the key. Speed, Agility and Acceleration are gamebreakers, so I dumped +8's into all 3 of them and pretty much maxed them out. Balance doesn't also cost much XP to max out in this build, and strength is overrated imo, it doesnt seem to do much from when I tested it. It didn't seem to help Body Checking effectiveness (not that you should be doing much of this anyway) and a high number didn't do enough to me keeping me on my feet either to justify dumping anymore points into it.

Stat!

You have 80 discipline and u take that much penalties?? GooooooooN!!!! Heh

I'm pretty sure (from the EA boards) that discipline affects everything but tripping (like boarding, elbowing, high sticking, hooking). Your poke check is tripping. So if you don't want to trip, just avoid in and around the skates (apparently from the EA boards and their sticky.)

I'm pretty sure (from the EA boards) that discipline affects everything but tripping (like boarding, elbowing, high sticking, hooking). Your poke check is tripping. So if you don't want to trip, just avoid in and around the skates (apparently from the EA boards and their sticky.)

Yea I don't get many tripping penalties anymore. Mine are mostly bad boarding or interference calls from trying to crush people nowadays.

As long as you dont poke check anyone from behind except last ditch efforts on breakaways and manage your distance and generally u won't trip anyone.

Top Bottom