• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei News - Wii sells out on 1st day, nearly 400,000 sold

farnham

Banned
Pellham said:
you know that Hudson is part of Konami right? (aren't they?)

konami made a big developer group with hudson, genki, kemco etc... something like the old gathering of developers..(which was basically take 2 with some other devs that got financial support from take 2)

but no.. hudson is independent..

Mojojo said:
Wiigirl04.gif

*rub rub*
:lol :lol

thefro

farnham said:
PS3 centric

Capcom (could change...)

Wii centric

Bandai
Tomy Takara
Hudson
Sega

neutral
Konami
Namco
square enix

Fixed... Namco and Konami both have a ton of untitled games announced for Wii.

Kamille

monchi-kun said:
Wiigirl01.gif

goes with out saying

so awesome

itagaki am cry

can't stop looking at titties

Niiiice! Where can I get the video?

edit: Should probably have read thread.

Mar

OhWiiiiii.gif

Sweet Jesus.

If Nintendo winning the console war means more of this. I don't care if they release a system that can only display 5 colours at once.

Long live Nintendo!!

TheKingsCrown said:
Doesn't this mean that Nintendo is the new leader of videogame console next generation sales in Japan? :D
Not just that; they have a majority of the pie. Or a Pac-Man, I guess.

moku said:
Hey Fuzzy, if the Wii(I KNOW this is a stretch) sees the same success the DS has, how long will it take for the Wii to outsell the Gamecube?
Fuzzy mentioned from DS launch, but if we're talking the DS crazy time, and even then just look at the Lite from launch and ignore the fat sales... 6 or 7 months. But even if it only sold at 1/5 the rate of the DS Lite it would be their most successful console since SNES.

farnham said:
Yes the wii 2007 lineup looks weak...

only 4 games are potential million sellers
Well, that would be a step up from GameCube's single million seller in Japan.

ORANGUTAN said:
what have they done except give us awesome games for the last 10 years?
From development to media cost to third party treatment, PS1 was the best platform for making games. PS2 was essentially able to dominate by coasting, though Sony no longer had such advantages; and in fact had the weakest, least multiplayer-friendly, yet most expensive hardware. PS3: $500 and unavailable.

Chittagong

Gold Member
thefro said:
PS3 centric

Capcom (could change...)

Wii centric

Bandai
Tomy Takara
Hudson
Sega

neutral

Konami
Namco
square enix

Wait a minute, what makes Capcom "PS3 centric", with Dead Rising and Lost Planet on Xbox 360, and RE5 on both platforms?

Chittagong said:
Wait a minute, what makes Capcom "PS3 centric", with Dead Rising and Lost Planet on Xbox 360, and RE5 on both platforms?

I believe they are typing that with respect to the PS3-Wii binary competitive landscape

Diffense

From development to media cost to third party treatment, PS1 was the best platform for making games. PS2 was essentially able to dominate by coasting, though Sony no longer had such advantages; and in fact had the weakest, least multiplayer-friendly, yet most expensive hardware. PS3: $500 and unavailable.

Agreed.

The PSX innovated.
It was a simple thing (CD Media), but it changed the entire industry view.

Most times someone succeeds in turning the tables in an industry its because they innovated and changed the model against which products are evaluated and compared. People writing Wii of becuase it was different were missing the very point.

farnham

Banned
Chittagong said:

we are talking about the japanese market..

x360 is non existant..

but yes.. X360 is the main platform for Capcom now World wide..

farnham

Banned
thefro said:
Fixed... Namco and Konami both have a ton of untitled games announced for Wii.

konami.. dont think so..

namco.. well they are namco bandai right now.. and i put bandai in the wii camp...

pswii60

Diffense said:
Agreed.

The CD32 innovated.

Most times someone succeeds in turning the tables in an industry its because they innovated and changed the model against which products are evaluated and compared. People writing Wii of becuase it was different were missing the very point.

Fixed. :)

Martoo said:
OhWiiiiii.gif

Sweet Jesus.

If Nintendo winning the console war means more of this. I don't care if they release a system that can only display 5 colours at once.

Long live Nintendo!!
Looks like Ninty found their new mascot.

Good God, Wii Strip Club games am confirmed!

Pellham

Banned
Diffense said:
Agreed.

The PSX innovated.

You know that the PSX wasn't the first system with a CD media right? Even the Saturn predated it.

Krowley

Duderz said:
So tell us why people would be upset at DQIX going to Wii (more than likely at this point).

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, but i think it's pretty clear that a lot of people were very impressed with the graphics in DQ8 and many are salivating at the prospect of taking that kind of graphics style into next gen.

For myself, i can do without it, but there are people out there who see it differently.. there are also other franchises that would never see a fully next gen upgrade

Krowley said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, but i think it's pretty clear that a lot of people were very impressed with the graphics in DQ8 and many are salivating at the prospect of taking that kind of graphics style into next gen.

For myself, i can do without it, but there are people out there who see it differently.. there are also other franchises that would never see a fully next gen upgrade

That consumer is looking for White Knight.

Furoba said:
Forgetting about iPod are we?

I say the real battle only starts when all companies can produce their hardware in sufficiënt quantities, and when all hardware is available worldwide...
Still, how many months before Wii passes Xbox 360 LTD sales? :lol
No, I disagree with that statement. If Sony can't manufacture the consoles to sell it has an impact on the "war", they don't get a free pass because they didn't meet manufacturing quotas. That's part of the game. Microsoft had the same problem, and even Nintendo is running into supply issues for the second time this year, the first being DS Lite in Japan. Nobody gets a free pass.

AndoCalrissian said:
No, I disagree with that statement. If Sony can't manufacture the consoles to sell it has an impact on the "war", they don't get a free pass because they didn't meet manufacturing quotas. That's part of the game. Microsoft had the same problem, and even Nintendo is running into supply issues for the second time this year, the first being DS Lite in Japan. Nobody gets a free pass.

I agree. These companies spent years developing their consoles. How could they forget about the most important part?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Martoo said:
wiigirl.gif

Avatar size for anyone who wants it.

(rehost if you use it)
Not exactly avatar size I fear

edit: don't sweat it though, I'll redo it myself and edit out the other girl

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
WOW at the Wii Girl. She is really hot! It's making me going crazy. Can't stop looking at her. Amazing.

Bert

but it could actually be sort of a disaster if it wins.. especially if you are really picky about graphics.

No, it'd be a disaster only if you are picky about graphics. Anyway, have you graphics whore ever thought that the PS3/360 winning by a landslide would be a disaster for those who don't enjoy overpriced consoles and samey games?

Perosnally I hope the Wii wins this gen with the 360 a close second so we get a mix of both styles at a reasonable price.

Also: That girl is hot.

pr0cs

Bert said:
you graphics whore ever thought that the PS3/360 winning by a landslide would be a disaster for those who don't enjoy overpriced consoles and samey games?

Well at this point I think I would still consider the Wii an overpriced console with samey games. Perhaps next year when they drop the price and have more than 1 title worth buying I'll agree with you.

Martoo said:
OhWiiiiii.gif

Sweet Jesus.

Long live Nintendo!!

Hot damn, where is that from

Pellham said:
You know that the PSX wasn't the first system with a CD media right? Even the Saturn predated it.
Saturn, TurboCD and Genesis CD all predated it. The Playstation didn't take over just because of the CD. It was a confluence of multiple things. Fairly easy to program for (not like the 7 processor saturn), powerful enough to do reasonable 3d stuff, and most of all, the cost to press the CDs was so cheap that they could put forward a much better business model. On top of that, the worked closely and courteously with developers, unlike Nintendo, who as a company believed themselves to be on top of the industry and not subject to publisher's wants and needs.

Mar

Can't wait to see the media create sales data at the end of the week. Should bee WiiDS all over the place.

By contrast the Australian launch will be quite small, but never the less it will sell out. Doesn't worry me though. I have my pre-order including all the games I want, and confirmed to attend a midnight launch. While everyone else is desperately seeking a Wii on day one, I'll be at home playing Monkey Ball.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
What's the file size limit (in kb 'n stuff) on the avatars by the way?

I don't see it in the profile edition panel

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Masklinn said:
What's the file size limit (in kb 'n stuff) on the avatars by the way?

I don't see it in the profile edition panel
150k, 90px X 120px.

Yours is 90px X 177px

Top Bottom