• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei News - Wii sells out on 1st day, nearly 400,000 sold

ethelred

Krowley said:
Even this gen will be a total clusterfu** because all these big franchises would be updated on hardware that's only a minor upgrade over last gen. Games like DQ8 will end up skipping a generation in terms of graphics.

It will be an appocolypse for the industry and all the conventional thinking will go right out the window from here on out. Lambs sleeping with lions and all that stuff..

DQ8? Did you play Dragon Quest VII? Was the original PlayStation really such a cluster ****?

Come on, let's not get too carried away.

Krowley

ethelred said:
DQ8? Did you play Dragon Quest VII? Was the original PlayStation really such a cluster ****?

Come on, let's not get too carried away.

I meant dq9...

There are people who would be very irritated if it went to wii instead of ps3.. I personaly don't care but i can see the point.

Duderz

Banned
Krowley said:
There are people who would be very irritated if it went to wii instead of ps3.. I personaly don't care but i can see the point.

Because of teh graphics, right?

Where's a roll eyes when you need one?

Krowley said:
I meant dq9...

Time for some history lessons. I'm sure DQ has always been on a sony console right?

ethelred

Krowley said:
I meant dq9...

Right. That's my point. Did you play Dragon Quest VII, the pseudo-SNES game? Was the PlayStation a cluster****? Did all of gaming development break down in fright of the apocalyptic onslaught? If a few games don't get a million poly upgrade, it's not going to portend the end of gaming as we know it.

thirty

Banned
Wow the damage control in this thread is thick. nothing but congratulations are in order here. I for one welcome our new Wii60 overlords. Its like peanut butter and jelly. Congrats Ninty!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Has the PSP taught us nothing?

We shouldn't make claims of ensured market domination using LAUNCH SALES FIGURES. There's only a few people in here (okay, it's just ethelred) not freaking out and talking about every grandma they know waiting in line in Tokyo to buy a wii.

E-phonk

Banned
Also, concerning the "if nintendo wins" reasoning - it wouldn't hurt microsoft all that much. Remember, they didn't enter because they were thinking it was another great way to spend some of that cash they had pilling around. They entered to counter sony who was getting too powerful with their media-centric console future - and this could've potentially been a lot of lost profit if they could make a concept like the PS3 be succesful enough (with web browsing, watching movies, listening mp3 etc) to undermine windows sales.

Nintendo was never very mediacenter minded, although I think they find the wii channels a bigger business thread then the next zelda game. If nintendo wins against sony - the money for microsoft was still a good investment in securing their business.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

We shouldn't make claims of ensured market domination using LAUNCH SALES FIGURES. There's only a few people in here (okay, it's just ethelred) not freaking out and talking about every grandma they know waiting in line in Tokyo to buy a wii.

Didn't you ready the thread title? Wii 1st! That's all Wii need.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Y2Kevbug11 said:
When the PSP launched many people were saying it would not be that successful (you couldn't hear them long as they were quickly banned). Yet for all its praise PSP was also said to be too expensive, with battery issues, long loadings, same games as on the PS2, dpad malfunction...

The wii is criticized for its graphics, yet everyone like it, and that includes Peter Moore and Mr Bob :p

Wiigirl01.gif

goes with out saying

so awesome

itagaki am cry

can't stop looking at titties

Well, obviously Wii hasn't won yet but Nintendo has beaten Sony this time at how to launch a console by far.

Sony and PS3 are going to play 'don't let that gap get very big until we meet demand' and then 'catch up'...it really resembles PSP situation. And its a very difficult situation to overcome, specially when your product is the more expensive.

I can easily see 3 or 4 Wii games driving hardware sales already (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Zelda and Wario) plus a few ones in 2007 to keep momentum (Mario, Big Brain, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing). I can't see the PS3 ones. Ridge Racer 7 is not driving anything. Where is the software Sony (and 3rd parties)? I can't see proper software to drive PS3 sales apart from Minna no Golf 5, and thats a Summer title at the very least.

JDA

Banned
I've seen a high res version of that gif, the 'girl' in the center looks like an old redneck, I'm sorry it had to be said.

Ark-AMN

Banned
JDA said:
I've seen a high res version of that gif, the 'girl' in the center looks like an old redneck, I'm sorry it had to be said.
I think most of us are focused on the girl on the right anyways. :D

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I can easily see 3 or 4 Wii games driving hardware sales already plus a few ones in 2007 to keep momentum (Mario, Big Brain, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing).
You can add Mario Party to this list. Not sure about Animal Crossing in 2007 though.

marc^o^ said:
You can add Mario Party to this list. Not sure about Animal Crossing in 2007 though.
Seriously, when this f'ing game comes out, I am going to buy it day one. Bring it Nintendo. Bring it..finally a Mario Party worth buying since 3.

Oh and Y2Kevbug11, in case it wasn't clear, I agree with you on jumping the gun here about Nintendo am King

farnham

Banned
DQS is comming to Wii.. and no DQ spinoff was released on a console that had no regular DQs (handheld is a different story)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Hi guys! Just a couple of things...

1) A console selling out at release is about as newsworthy and surprising as this week's Paris Hilton attention whoring.

2)

ORANGUTAN said:
do you not think before you speak in person as well? are people still doing the handheld/console comparisons? sony had zero marketshare in handhelds. nintendo had a massive monopoly. console and handheld success cannot, and should not, be compared.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
xsarien said:
Hi guys! Just a couple of things...

1) A console selling out at release is about as newsworthy and surprising as this week's Paris Hilton attention whoring.

This is a bit different since it took GC like 2 months to sell the same amount Wii did in its first day. :)

Neomoto

farnham said:
DQS is comming to Wii.. and no DQ spinoff was released on a console that had no regular DQs (handheld is a different story)
That reminds me, whas DQS a launchtitle or whas it not? I guess not but I'm not sure

Bo130

TheKingsCrown said:
Seriously, when this f'ing game comes out, I am going to buy it day one. Bring it Nintendo. Bring it..finally a Mario Party worth buying since 3.

March 5, 2007 for USA. And I agree with you.

Pellham

Banned
farnham said:

Well the same thing could have been said about FF and its spinoffs, until FF:CC came out that is.

Then again FF is more of a name and not a series anyway.

farnham

Banned
hmm i expect them to ship

1 m to japan
2 m to NA
1m to europe..

although i think nintendo might up their production..

farnham

Banned
Pellham said:
Well the same thing could have been said about FF and its spinoffs, until FF:CC came out that is.

Then again FF is more of a name and not a series anyway.
your right on that one..but then again FFCC and FFTA were the start to SEs switch...

they are releasing more DS games then PSP will ever have now...
and wii.. well i think they will watch how much DQS and DQM sells on Wii and DS.. but.. seriously.. i see both selling at least 500k

Petrarca

Banned
*sighs*

I may be the only person on the planet who don't find wii exciting. I'm an old fashion guy, it takes me a while to buy on new things. Wii is just way too advanced for me. I just want to push buttons :-(

farnham

Banned
PS3 centric

Namco
Konami
Capcom (could change...)

Wii centric

Bandai
Tomy Takara
Hudson
Sega

neutral