• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the official name is 'Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System', this pretty much guarantees that this is a new product line. Next up, Nintendo Classic Mini: SNES and N64

Ohhh. I'd die for a SNES version, or a small backlit Gameboy.

I've never owned a NES. My first console was a SNES so my nostalgia starts there.

Would be absolutely amazing if they made it have some link to My Nintendo so you could load it up with even more NES games through your VC list.

Since the official name is 'Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System', this pretty much guarantees that this is a new product line. Next up, Nintendo Classic Mini: SNES and N64

yes-gif-3.gif

Balb

The thought of them some day doing this with the N64 and rereleasing the various colored controllers with brand new sticks...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Pretty cool. The price isn't bad so I may even get one.

An SNES version would be an instant no-thought purchase, though.

Tobor

SNES would be cool, but I'd rather have a Game Boy Classic Mini.

Make it the size of the GB Pocket, but styled like the original GB, include a backlight, and add in Pokemon Red/Blue and Tetris. They'd sell millions!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'd be really curious to see how they would handle an N64 console, given Rare's fixture on the system and how many of those titles are on Rare Replay.

They could easily do one without Rare's classics, even though Banjo+PD etc. would be missed. I'm more curious what they'd do with the controller.

Morts

I wonder what a list of 30 for SNES would look like?

I think it's likely Earthbound would be there since they've been putting that out on all current VC platforms now. (well, all two of them)

Probably everything you want, minus Yoshi's Island and Star Fox.

I'd be more curious what a list of 30 N64 games without Rare or licensed games looks like.

Blam

If Nintendo comes out with a SNES mini or a N64 mini. I will be ecstatic.

I wonder if these are just gimped Wii Minis?

RK128

Well, Nintendo might be in the talks with Microsoft about this already, as while it could just be place holders in Nintendo's servers, a few Rare Games were found on the servers; Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, and Banjo Tooie.

Likely not really happening but if those names were on the servers, it is possible that Nintendo is trying to get Rare content on their systems. They did work with Microsoft on Minecraft Wii U and even getting Mario skins for the game for example :).

ElRenoRaven

SNES would be cool, but I'd rather have a Game Boy Classic Mini.

Make it the size of the GB Pocket, but styled like the original GB, include a backlight, and add in Pokemon Red/Blue and Tetris. They'd sell millions!

Yes they would. You could throw in Super Mario Land games also for good measure and it would be a license to print money.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The mini NES form factor is amazing. Unfortunately its also what will keep me from buying one, I don't need more plastic boxes with cables

RedBoot

The issue with an N64 one is that there's just not enough N64 games on the VC (particularly 3rd party) to make a decent offering.

Unless they start adding more in anticipation for something like this, which I am all for.

I wonder what a list of 30 for SNES would look like?

I think it's likely Earthbound would be there since they've been putting that out on all current VC platforms now. (well, all two of them)

Wish list time!

Super Mario World
Zelda 3
Super Metroid
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Super Punch-Out!!
Super Mario Kart
Star Fox
Gradius III
Super Castlevania IV
Contra III
Demon's Crest
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Mega Man X
Final Fight
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Earthbound
Actraiser
Kirby's Avalanche
Kirby Super Star
Tetris/Dr. Mario
Tetris Attack
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario RPG
Super Adventure Island
Super Bomberman 2

*replace Kirby's Avalanche with TMNT IV if rights issues can be resolved :D

Edit: And if you can get the emulation/rights issues resolved, Yoshi's Island somewhere in there, too. You can take out Super Adventure Island for that. Perfect.

Biggest thing I wonder is:
1. Whats the format of the games. Would it be possible to add newer titles with some soldering trickery, or are the games in a more custom format.
2. Whats the OS. This thing conceivably could play GB games aswell, and id be curious, if the answer to 1 above is true, how well that would run.

One could argue points 1 and 2 could be solved with a Nvidia Tegra, but id rather have something that looks so goddamn cool.

MacTag

Banned
I'd be really curious to see how they would handle an N64 console, given Rare's fixture on the system and how many of those titles are on Rare Replay.
Easy, just 10-15 or so Nintendo games. Choose from Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Yoshi's Story, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, Wave Race 64, 1080, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 2, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Kirby 64, Sin & Punishment, Paper Mario, Smash Bros, Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Puzzle League, Cruis'n USA, DK64, etc. People would definitely pay $60 for some of that plus a controller.

As beloved as Rare was on N64, Nintendo themselves were loved more.

Gaaaah. I have an NES system as well and have been looking into an RGB mod or a retro avs...and I STILL want this thing lol. GF gonna kill me...
Even as an Analogue NT owner, this thing is fairly tempting just because it's Nintendo selling retro again.

At the very least I'll certainly score some controllers.

mattx5

At that price point I'm not sure how this would have wi-fi/internet connectivity for updates. Would be an amazing feature but I'm pretty sure this will be a closed box.

This solves their lack of a revenue stream for the holidays, at that price point everyone's going to buy one, even people who don't game anymore and are just like "I remember that from when I was a kid."

And if they do SNES and other consoles down the line (which the branding implies) then they've got another $$$ stream guaranteed for the future.

Edit: Would be amazing if this could be modded. As far as efficiency/profitability goes, like someone said earlier, they must be basing this off of some board they had lying around. Wii/Wii U architecture?

This is really cool. Definitely picking one up as soon as I can afford it.

I already own a real NES, but not having to blow on carts or put up with dying cartridge batteries makes this more than worth it.

Well, Nintendo might be in the talks with Microsoft about this already, as while it could just be place holders in Nintendo's servers, a few Rare Games were found on the servers; Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, and Banjo Tooie.

Likely not really happening but if those names were on the servers, it is possible that Nintendo is trying to get Rare content on their systems. They did work with Microsoft on Minecraft Wii U and even getting Mario skins for the game for example :).

what the WHAT

Bomberman 64 too ahhhhhhh

Joqu

Oh, this isn't half bad. I want one. Just wish there was some way for them to add more games down the line, there doesn't seem to be any

Morts

Easy, just 10-15 or so Nintendo games. Choose from Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Yoshi's Story, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, Wave Race 64, 1080, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 2, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Kirby 64, Sin & Punishment, Paper Mario, Smash Bros, Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Puzzle League, Cruis'n USA, DK64, etc. People would definitely pay $60 for some of that plus a controller.

As beloved as Rare was on N64, Nintendo themselves were loved more.

Add in Rayman 2 and Buck Bumble and you've got a deal.

foltzie1

It will be very interesting to find out what is driving this machine.

The lack of Castlevania 3 hints at a regular "NES-on-a-chip" and all of the limitations with those machines.

Nintendo's standards have generally been higher, so I'm curious to see whats inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom