• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorcerer

If Nintendo comes out with a SNES mini or a N64 mini. I will be ecstatic.

I wonder if these are just gimped Wii Minis?

The Wii-Mini only had composite not Hdmi, so thats new at least. This uses usb for power so thats new also. This has no online access I am assuming, so that's the same.

SalvaPot

All that list is missing for me is Earthbound Beginnings, other than that this is going to make a SWEET collectors item, just look at how cute it is!

Well, everyone has been asking what Nintendo has for the holidays. I think Reggie just cracked open the "Use in case of emergency" case and saved the holidays for Nintendo.

Fuck this looks cool as hell.

If this was SNES id be all over it since I have more fond memories of it. But Id get this as well. Price?

EDIT: $60 is a great price. I am all over this. I want to pre order this.

RK128

what the WHAT

Bomberman 64 too ahhhhhhh

Bomberman might happen, same with Resident Evil and Gemon, as Nintendo is on good terms with Capcom and Konami :). I doubt the Rare stuff though, but with solid support backing the information, I thought it was worth writing the story on it.

Hope I'm right, but its just a rumor for now until a official announcement.

Imagine the Snes version of this with 30 titles:

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Zelda: Link to the Past
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Metroid
Pilotwings
Earthbound
F-Zero
StarFox
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario Kart
Super Punch-Out!!!
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Contra 3
Super Castlevania IV
Turtles in Time
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
ActRaiser
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Illusion of Gaia

Hobbun

I can see them doing it again for the SNES, and N64. But in a sense it would be such a tease. “Here are those great games again on mini versions of the classic systems. But…you only get 30 of each.” *sigh*

It would be great if there was a way to add more games to the system. 30 is such a small amount on how many great games were on the NES. But I doubt it has WiFi capability and I don’t see anything to plug an SD card or USB stick into.

thuway

/Is this 1:1 original NES hardware? Or is this some new fangled emulation? I wonder if this is successful how Nintendo plans to expand on additional titles.

Morts

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Metroid
Pilotwings
Earthbound
F-Zero
StarFox
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario Kart
Super Punch-Out!!!
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Contra 3
Super Castlevania IV
Turtles in Time
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
ActRaiser
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Illusion of Gaia

I think if they could do Star Fox and Yoshi's Island they would've been on VC already.

Anth0ny

they should seriously capitalize on the rampant late 90s nostalgia with an N64 Classic Mini

advertise it somehow through Pokemon Go

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Effect

This a very cool thing. I had seen these devices in the past and it's good to have an official one. The list of games is indeed a list of some of the best games on the NES. I wish that number was at 40 games instead as there are a few games that should be on it still but at $60 that is a steal when you look at the prices of NES VC games on the eShop.

I'll certainly be picking this up as a good number of those games I haven't picked up. I am really surprised and happy to see Final Fantasy 1 in there and equally surprised there is no Dragon Warrior. Especially given how much Nintendo chases and chased the Dragon Quest brand over the years.

Blam

The Wii-Mini only had composite not Hdmi, so thats new at least. This uses usb for power so thats new also. This has no online access I am assuming, so that's the same.

I mean like once I get it I'm going to see if the board for that and the Mini look the same I mean I wonder if they are just not going to show the ports and have them blocked.

Peltz

I'm really only interested in this just to feel what it's like to play games with a fresh D-Pad.

I already own all of these games on a real NES.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Well, Nintendo might be in the talks with Microsoft about this already, as while it could just be place holders in Nintendo's servers, a few Rare Games were found on the servers; Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, and Banjo Tooie.

Likely not really happening but if those names were on the servers, it is possible that Nintendo is trying to get Rare content on their systems. They did work with Microsoft on Minecraft Wii U and even getting Mario skins for the game for example :).

Hadn't seen that rumor before, thanks for pointing that out. This being found recently makes it even more interesting. All preparations for the N64 mini :p

Hari Seldon

I'm going to buy like 4-5 of these for presents. I just hope the controllers are to the quality standards of the OG controllers. I bought a random NES USB controller from some 3rd party once and it was a PoS.

MikeyB

Not to say I told you so, but I've been suggesting this for years.

Missed opportunities abound with this little device. If they linked it to the virtual arcade, could sell gamecube ans snes controllers and it came in SNES and Gamecube variations, this would be killer.

It's not like the Vita TV didn't show how a micro console could be done (and marketed terribly).

Anyway, I will buy it.

kswiston

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Metroid
Pilotwings
Earthbound
F-Zero
StarFox
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario Kart
Super Punch-Out!!!
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Contra 3
Super Castlevania IV
Turtles in Time
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
ActRaiser
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Illusion of Gaia

I doubt Square-Enix would give away all 4 of their big SNES games (plus Mario RPG). I would expect Final Fantasy IV and Actraiser.

Chairhome

Since the official name is 'Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System', this pretty much guarantees that this is a new product line. Next up, Nintendo Classic Mini: SNES and N64
That's not what it's called though. It's called Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Mini.

This is simply fantastic. Nintendo has been on a roll lately with products beyond their console/handheld space.

I'll be asking for this for Xmas and buying some for friends. I have dedicated CRT for retro gaming in my basement and I own both an NES and Famicom with well over 100 games. But I still want one of these. Will be great to hook up to my HDTV in the living room.

Also, a super-surprisingly awesome list of games, too.

For anyone wondering about the frequency in Europe. Some already noticed Final Fantasy that never came out here. Another hint: Super C is listed for Europe too, but here the game was originally released as Probotector II.

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Metroid
Pilotwings
Earthbound
F-Zero
StarFox
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario Kart
Super Punch-Out!!!
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Contra 3
Super Castlevania IV
Turtles in Time
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
ActRaiser
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Illusion of Gaia

Dear god.

So why is Nintendo so keen on avoiding to release Contra on both the VC and this machine?

I can't imagine there's a technical reason for it (it runs just fine if you inject it into the Super C VC emulator), so I'm guessing it's for legal reasons? Does MS have some sort of exclusivity deal? Is it because the boxart is obviously ripped off from Schwarzenegger?

This is beautiful. Buying.

Now if only Sega would make one. A real, official mini, not a POS piece of cheap plastic outsourced to some Chinese company with crappy emulation that breaks after a month.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I'll only accept a N64 one if it has 64 games.

So basically it will never happen even if it's marketing perfection like the Dreamcasts 9.9.99 release date.

Kenpa64

I didn't know i wanted this until it has been revealed. Now I want a SNES and N64 mini too. (I never owned any of them so it would be my first time playing them). Can't wait for november 11th.

StereoVsn

Well, hell, I am in. I can also see myself vying couple more as Christmas gift. This is a great move by Nintendo. Only wish there was a way to maybe add games, but even as is this is cool.

SuperNintendo next!

Peltz

/Is this 1:1 original NES hardware? Or is this some new fangled emulation? I wonder if this is successful how Nintendo plans to expand on additional titles.
The latter most certainly. Original NES can't output HDMI without extensive modding and I just don't see Nintendo going through the trouble of redesigning the NES boards.

SNES would be cool, but I'd rather have a Game Boy Classic Mini.

Make it the size of the GB Pocket, but styled like the original GB, include a backlight, and add in Pokemon Red/Blue and Tetris. They'd sell millions!

This make lots of sense. And capitalise on the Pokemon GO hype too!

At that price point I'm not sure how this would have wi-fi/internet connectivity for updates. Would be an amazing feature but I'm pretty sure this will be a closed box.

The fact that there's no Bluetooth for the controllers also points to this. As much as I'dd love it to be able to add additional games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom