• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzzymate

How soon can I throw money at Nintendo for this?

For me - the only thing missing are NES Tetris (seriously, how is this one missing?), Turtles 2 or 3, and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. Otherwise this is fantastic!

Nintendo is notoriously bad at emulating their own titles, and the recent Wii U hacks have revealed that the dark NES & N64 VC titles were *intentional*.

Please try this out in-store on a display similar to your display at home before buying it. I don't know who's actually building this thing, but I'm very, very wary.

So why is Nintendo so keen on avoiding to release Contra on both the VC and this machine?

I can't imagine there's a technical reason for it (it runs just fine if you inject it into the Super C VC emulator), so I'm guessing it's for legal reasons? Does MS have some sort of exclusivity deal? Is it because the boxart is obviously ripped off from Schwarzenegger?

It's definitely got to be some sort of exclusivity thing with Microsoft. Almost every other classic Contra title has made it to the VC in some form or another.

Ridley327

So why is Nintendo so keen on avoiding to release Contra on both the VC and this machine?

I can't imagine there's a technical reason for it (it runs just fine if you inject it into the Super C VC emulator), so I'm guessing it's for legal reasons? Does MS have some sort of exclusivity deal? Is it because the boxart is obviously ripped off from Schwarzenegger?

If I had to guess, I would think that the most obvious reason is that Konami no longer has the source code for the NES version.

thuway

I wish Nintendo went with wireless controllers. 8bitdo does an amazing replica job

large.jpg

Hari Seldon

I didn't know i wanted this until it has been revealed. Now I want a SNES and N64 mini too. (I never owned any of them so it would be my first time playing them). Can't wait for november 11th.

This thing is going to sell like 50 trillion units at $60 so I suspect we are going to get all of the classic consoles in the future lol.

Imagine the Snes version of this with 30 titles:

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Zelda: Link to the Past
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Metroid
Pilotwings
Earthbound
F-Zero
StarFox
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario Kart
Super Punch-Out!!!
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Contra 3
Super Castlevania IV
Turtles in Time
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
ActRaiser
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Illusion of Gaia

Perfect list. I would pay £100 for that, no hesitation.

Tobor

Not to say I told you so, but I've been suggesting this for years.

Missed opportunities abound with this little device. If they linked it to the virtual arcade, could sell gamecube ans snes controllers and it came in SNES and Gamecube variations, this would be killer.

It's not like the Vita TV didn't show how a micro console could be done (and marketed terribly).

Anyway, I will buy it.

You're not the only one. :) Several of us have been yammering about this for years.

It's nice to be vindicated, but it is a missed opportunity if you can't download more games.

This is such a great idea! I can't play retro games if they're not on an emulator anymore though. I need the cheat codes. Some of those old games are just way too tough.

I wonder what a list of 30 for SNES would look like?

I think it's likely Earthbound would be there since they've been putting that out on all current VC platforms now. (well, all two of them)
Super Metroid
Super Mario world
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario All Stars
Pilotwings
Yoshi's Island
The Legend of Zelda A Link to the past
earthbound
Final Fantasy 3
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Contra 3
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Castlevania 4
Mega Man X
Mega Man 7
Super Gouls N Ghosts
Street Fighter 2
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dreamland 3
F Zero
Star Fox
Super Punch Out
Turtles in Time (might be tricky to get this one actually)
Demons crest
Super Bomberman

These all seem pretty likely

Edit:too slow, it's nice to see other lists though

Kouichi

Whoaaaa this is so cool! A mini NES with 30 games, a bunch which I've never gotten around to playing and have always wanted to. And for only 60 bucks? How can I not buy this?!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That's not what it's called though. It's called Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Mini.

It's the title of the official article on the site and there's: "The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System comes packaged with an HDMI cable, a USB cable for powering the system*, and one Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller."

Everything points to 'Nintendo Classic Mini' being the name of a product line, it's also placed separately on the box.

MomoQca

Well, Nintendo might be in the talks with Microsoft about this already, as while it could just be place holders in Nintendo's servers, a few Rare Games were found on the servers; Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, and Banjo Tooie.

Likely not really happening but if those names were on the servers, it is possible that Nintendo is trying to get Rare content on their systems. They did work with Microsoft on Minecraft Wii U and even getting Mario skins for the game for example :).

Fucking YES PLEASE! I NEED my Perfect Dark.

kswiston

How soon can I throw money at Nintendo for this?

For me - the only thing missing are NES Tetris (seriously, how is this one missing?), Turtles 2 or 3, and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. Otherwise this is fantastic!

There are a number of A-tier games missing. Castlevania 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2 are better than the entries we are getting. It would have also been nice to get at least one Dragon Quest.

Still the lineup is better than expected.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
if this thing sells well we will probably get a SNES version. If it came with Super Mario World, Link to the past, and super metroid i would buy day 1

Is this actual NES hardware or just an emulation box? If it's the latter, I can only hope it isn't ruined by the dark image quality and input lag that plagues the NES VC.

Wow, Nintendo is really banking hard on nostalgia for this thing, eh?

I really can't see any young kids being interested in this.

Have Nintendo get pewdiepie and other twitch X YouTube people to give reviews and gameplay vids and kids will want it

Say it's insanely hard in reviews and kids will want to beat it

Cucurbitacée;209937297 said:
For anyone wondering about the frequency in Europe. Some already noticed Final Fantasy that never came out here. Another hint: Super C is listed for Europe too, but here the game was originally released as Probotector II.

Good catch! I think we can assume 60Hz for Europe!

Imagine the Snes version of this with 30 titles:

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Zelda: Link to the Past
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Metroid
Pilotwings
Earthbound
F-Zero
StarFox
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario Kart
Super Punch-Out!!!
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Contra 3
Super Castlevania IV
Turtles in Time
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
ActRaiser
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Illusion of Gaia
vB5cjgG.gif

Effect

I doubt Square-Enix would give away all 4 of their big SNES games (plus Mario RPG). I would expect Final Fantasy IV and Actraiser.

They'd be getting such a big cut profit wise out of that list compared to everyone else. Those RPGs and Nintendo's games would be the primary reason to buy that bundle. It might depend on the deal made. They'd certainly reach a LOT of people with that kind of SNES box.

SalvaPot

So is there any mention of been able to download or buy extra games? Or is that 30 and that is it?

Oh god, I just realized, Nintendo is going to understock this... better get my cards ready for a preorder.

TI82

Banned
Nintendo is notoriously bad at emulating their own titles, and the recent Wii U hacks have revealed that the dark NES & N64 VC titles were *intentional*.

Please try this out in-store on a display similar to your display at home before buying it. I don't know who's actually building this thing, but I'm very, very wary.

Yep also very true

LewieP

Folk asking for other systems should look at the titles currently available on the virtual console. All these NES games have had VC releases.

I'd love a new mini GBC/GBA.

Edit: Mainly because GBA games look like ass on the 3DS.

Suzzopher

Now if Nintendo release mini carts for this and open it up for development of new games I'd be most happy. Imagine getting Shovel Knight on there.

Hobbun

I imagine it'll be hard as balls to find one of these this holiday. I hope they make enough to meet demand. I forsee outrageous eBay prices.

I agree.

Although I hope it’s widely available after the holidays and not just a limited run item.

However, it hasn’t been announced as such, so I think it will be around afterwards.

Is this actual NES hardware or just an emulation box? If it's the latter, I can only hope it isn't ruined by the dark image quality and input lag that plagues the NES VC.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I once heard that the dark image quality has to do with them being cautious about seizures among young children. Apparently that was something of an issue with the original famicom in Japan.

I think if they could do Star Fox and Yoshi's Island they would've been on VC already.

I think it also depends on what hardware is included in this thing. Emulation shouldn't be an issue, since pc emulators have been able to do starfox and Yoshi's Island for decades now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
OMG This is so awesome. I hope the controllers are of outstanding quality.

I hope there is a way to expand the list of games.

The system might be TOO light and lead to people pulling it with the controller after a session of Ninja Gaiden xD

Yukinari

Folk asking for other systems should look at the titles currently available on the virtual console. All these NES games have had VC releases.

I'd love a new mini GBC/GBA.

I would really enjoy a GBA type system that included all the G&W Gallery titles and the Pokemon games.

Crayolan

I wonder if this does Wii U style save states?

And if you ever need to step away from the NES Classic Edition in the middle of a tough level (or take a break to call one of Nintendo’s helpful Game Counselors*), don’t worry about losing any hard-earned progress. Each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off at a later time, no passwords needed.

Wii U only has 1 per game.

bjork

That thing is pretty cool. I bet it does huge in comparison to the Atari and Intellivision machines like it, too.

The SNES is still their best system ever. (IMO)

I agree. My brothers friend owned an import shop and I used to get all the games from US & Japan. Star Fox, Contra 3, Castlevania, Final Fight etc.

There was a Star Fox high score competition here in the UK when the game launched, it was called Star Wing here for some reason. Each store had a booth to enter and I was one of the winners :) I won a cap , a UK copy of the game which I give to a friend and some vouchers.

Just some happy gaming memories :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom