• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
60$ yea no, I can already play all these games on my phone\PC for free.

Yarrr, matey!

What a cute idea! I hope to see more consoles like this one.
I have a question though, are those 30 games the only ones you can play or you can buy other games?

My guess is that those 30 games will be the only ones for it with no option of buying more.
BUT it would be a cool idea! Creating a "Virtual Console console" for each system would actually be a super sweet move and I WOULD pay money for that!

An expansion port for future releases would have been incredible, but as it stands this is a cool package and a no-brainer at that price for the holidays.

Looking back on growing up with an NES, it was a miracle that even half the games my parents bought me as a kid were any good. There are so many classics I never got to try.

asagami_

Banned
60$ yea no, I can already play all these games on my phone\PC for free.

Yeah but what about the superior controller? Thank god it don't have Track and field, or my hand would have a lot of fear.

I wouldn't say I never emulated something for free, but god, when I can (actually right now where I am on my first years of adulthood) I always try to buy things if it's accessible.

This thing is so cheap gosh.

Shiggy

Nah dude. It needs wifi and eshop logins and upres resolution and wireless controllers and digital audio hookups and different color schemes all for $60 and if I can't download Obscure Game onto upgradeable storage it's a complete failure!

It's not as if those features would be that costly to implement though. Wireless chipsets and a small SDD or SD card slot aren't that much.

What a cute idea! I hope to see more consoles like this one.
I have a question though, are those 30 games the only ones you can play or you can buy other games?

They didn't mention upgradeability/expansion in the PR. They would have brought it up if it were as its a great selling point. Also, no other devices like this do that (Atari Flashback, new Intellivision and Colecovision clones, official Genesis clones) and only the Genesis has an original cart slot. And they sell for about as much as this does ($50 MSRP minimum). This is still a killer deal.

It's going to be one of those things that people will be excited to buy, especially at a cheap $60 price-point, then they'll plug it in and start up a game and 10mins later will switch to another. 10mins after that switch to another. 5mins after that switch to another. Then turn the thing off and never turn it on again until a friend/relative comes over. Then go through the cycle of switching games without really playing them and turning it off forever.

It's surprising how Nintendo has gotten such a huge following. Let's be honest here. Every game you're wishing for from Nintendo as a whole are new installments to existing franchises they created over 20 years ago. Where's the new stuff from such an "innovative" company? Now everyone is orgasming over Nintendo releasing a console they made 30 years ago. I don't get it.

The NES brought the game industry in the U.S. back to life in the 80s, and many of 30 the games included in this NES re-release are some of the best games ever made that set standards still in use by games today.

Just for those reasons alone there is reason to be celebrating its re-release. It's an important part of gaming history. Just because we're appreciating older games doesn't mean we're not paying attention to or asking for new ones. It's good to be mindful of history.

An expansion port for future releases would have been incredible.

I agree it would have been cool but I think it's unrealistic to expect Nintendo to do that. They still want to keep VC as a selling point for their main home console. I think people are misunderstanding what this device is meant to do, it's just something to bring revenue up temporarily in what would otherwise be an abysmal holiday season. This isn't meant to be a replacement or alternative to their main consoles.

So it's 11:00 am here where I am...

So far 2 friends of mine have texted me about this, a coworker already mentioned it, and my Facebook feed is full of links and comments about this.

Jesus Christ Nintendo about to make some money.

I just got a text from my sister (a complete non-gamer) asking me if I was "getting the new NES?" and I rushed to GAF because I thought I'd missed the NX announcement. lol.

Anyway, this thing is going to sell like crazy.

So it's 11:00 am here where I am...

So far 2 friends of mine have texted me about this, a coworker already mentioned it, and my Facebook feed is full of links and comments about this.

Jesus Christ Nintendo about to make some money.

Dope Skill said:
I just got a text from my sister (a complete non-gamer) asking me if I was "getting the new NES?" and I rushed to GAF because I thought I'd missed the NX announcement. lol.

Anyway, this thing is going to sell like crazy.

Did you guys hear? They're bringing back THE NINTENDO!!!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yarrr, matey!

My guess is that those 30 games will be the only ones for it with no option of buying more.
BUT it would be a cool idea! Creating a "Virtual Console console" for each system would actually be a super sweet move and I WOULD pay money for that!

They didn't mention upgradeability/expansion in the PR. They would have brought it up if it were as its a great selling point. Also, no other devices like this do that (Atari Flashback, new Intellivision and Colecovision clones, official Genesis clones) and only the Genesis has an original cart. And they sell for about as much as this does ($50 MSRP minimum). This is still a killer deal.

I guess you are right, too bad though, it would have been awesome to buy other games.

_Ryo_

I'm really curious about the specs and User Interface and OS that this thing will be using. Will it be using the OS that's on Wii? Android? 3DS OS? Or is it an actual mini NES with ROMs, that has HDMI output similar to how that one company is making them. (I forget the name)

Or will it just be a redesigned Wii without the CD drive? But that would be too expensive right?

darbian

Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record Holder!
As a speedrunner that plays on the original NES I am most interested in the build quality of the controllers they'll be including/selling alongside this. Good quality NES controllers from the 80s/90s are getting harder and harder to find. Cleaning only goes so far in restoring them - the rubber domes really need to be replaced but many of the replacement sets out there aren't all that good. New high quality controllers would be amazing, and I'm sure someone will come up with a simple adapter to use these new controllers on the original NES. My guess is that the quality will be a step above the cheap third party controllers you can find everywhere but well below the quality of the originals.

I guess you are right, too bad though, it would have been awesome to buy other games.

I mean they make a product for you called Wii U, and you can even buy the $10 NES clone controller and use it. It just would cost WAY more for that same game selection on top of the hardware purchase.

Probably the only missed opportunity in this whole thing is that they didn't include a cart slot, but that's probably because it's running the Wii VC engine (I assume) and VC ROM injection doesn't work with every NES game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sorry, am I still dreaming?

I'm confused. I don't know how I feel about it. I think good?

Edit: Oh, wait, it's just an emulation box with 30 games? Yeah, I'm definitely awake, and reality is cold and unfeeling.

jeffers

Nintendo bucks the power argument one again!!

Do wanna know what's inside. Could you beef up a 3ds chip to do 3ds vc+a bit more? No battery constraint

Predicting that this is gonna fail. Kids won't touch it, adults might buy it for the nostalgia factor, but not in great numbers. Similar products have been around for years, most people won't even realize that this one is an official product.

Zalman

Really liking this idea. I don't really need it as I already have access to most of these games, but for that price I'll gladly buy it. Cheap and convenient. Great idea for a gift too, especially for younger people.

Shiggy

Predicting that this is gonna fail. Kids won't touch it, adults might buy it for the nostalgia factor, but not in great numbers. Similar products have been around for years, most people won't even realize that this one is an official product.

Pretty sure it will be a limited run, similar to Wii Mini or GB micro.

Moosehole

This is great. And the included games are quite an impressive list. If they would have added the ability to play original carts this thing would have been amazing.

Still buying it, though. :p

AdanVC

GIF-Bye.gif

It's just that is so annoying that Nintendo's last resource for everything has to be the nostalgia factor. And this one is not even so nostalgic because the games included there have been played to hell for your humble self because they are available to play either on the Wii, Wii U, 3DS through the VC or in the mini games of NES Remix and at this point, I'm honestly tired as hell of those games. I guess I shouldn't be mad about this, it's simply another cool looking thing they will release during the holidays and that's it. Like a cool $60 buck amiibo.

Javier

I think Nintendo will expand on this by releasing additional game packs that connect through USB. It definitely feels like too good an idea for it to end after a single release.

PSqueak

Banned
Only negative thing i can think about the news is they missed the chance to include Earthbound Beginings in this.

The mario trilogy, megaman 2, both zeldas, punch out, DD2 and Kirby's adventure alone justify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom