• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Predicting that this is gonna fail. Kids won't touch it, adults might buy it for the nostalgia factor, but not in great numbers. Similar products have been around for years, most people won't even realize that this one is an official product.

I think there are a lot of people in their 30s-40s who haven't touched a console in years but grew up with NES who would buy this for $60 at Target, especially to share memories with kids. Similar products may exist (and do well!) but there isn't a single company with the library of games Nintendo had and many comperable products look very cheap by comparison.

They're trying to appeal with nostalgia, and 99% of people in the West have none for EB Beginnings, because it was never originally released here. So they probably didn't see the point.

Most people seeing this at Toys R Us or whatever who read the list will not recognize EB Beginnings and will not see it as a selling point.
Excellent point, I really wanted Earthbound Beginnings to be included but this package is targeted at the average NES owner or those who haven't even touched the system before. The selection is outstanding

GamerJM

Banned
This product is not for you.

This is for the casual market. For people who don't own a Nintendo console, but who remember the NES fondly. For people who want a cheap video game machine for their little kids, so they can play the games their parents played.

It's a simple product meant to be purchased as an impulse buy.

I understand this, and I get it. This thing will sell well. It's just frustrating because the opportunity for an NES console for dedicated fans seems like such a cool idea. If they played carts and reprinted games then they could cause the price to go down on the more expensive games. They could make it so that we won't have to mod our original NES consoles to get anything more than composite.

Wow, this sounds pretty good actually. Wil need to wait and see how the games look on screen though.

I wonder if this could be the start of a series at that. I'd love to see additional games released, or even an SNES or N64 edition.

dickroach

This is definitely different. Nintendo of the last 5-10 years would never have done something like this.

totally agree.
this really gives me hope of something like a Netflix-type subscription service for Nintendo's entire catalog on the NX. they're finally starting to realize people don't think their 30 year old games are still worth $10 each

I understand this, and I get it. This thing will sell well. It's just frustrating because the opportunity for an NES console for dedicated fans seems like such a cool idea. If they played carts and reprinted games then they could cause the price to go down on the more expensive games. They could make it so that we won't have to mod our original NES consoles to get anything more than composite.

It's a cool idea, but a financial misstep. Makes no sense whatsoever to waste money reprinting carts

Vitacat

Wow, really nice looking bit of nostalgia.

Is it emulated, or real hardware based? If it's truly accurate and has minimal lag I will probably get one.

EDIT: omg, people who mentioned putting a Raspberry Pi inside.... Brilliant!

They didn't mention upgradeability/expansion in the PR. They would have brought it up if it were as its a great selling point. Also, no other devices like this do that (Atari Flashback, new Intellivision and Colecovision clones, official Genesis clones) and only the Genesis has an original cart slot. And they sell for about as much as this does ($50 MSRP minimum). This is still a killer deal.

The Atari Flashback 2 (intentionally) could be hacked to add a cartridge connector. If only...

But I'm sure this doesn't have real NES silicon inside, unlike the Flashback 2 which had a 2600-on-a-chip.

I can totally see them going the Flashback route where a new one drops with new games every couple of years. It could be like, oh, look, this new one has 40 games and scanline filters, and so on. And maybe eventually...oh, the 3.0 version has an eShop...

EVH

Would be cool if they add some secret games, such as Contra, Castlevania 3 and MegaMan and some achievements system but honestly this is Nintendo.

Assuming this is the first of a line of Nintendo classic minis, the N64 version better have the best N64 game packed in:

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

Would be cool if they add some secret games, such as Contra, Castlevania 3 and MegaMan and some achievements system but honestly this is Nintendo.

They're paying licensing fees for all that stuff; they would definitely promote them if they had them. And achievements? Really? This is a specific type of product for the average consumer, none of which do anything like that, and certainly not for this price point.

Is there something up with the original Contra? The only rerelease of the NES version AFAIK was on Contra 4 for DS. Is there like, a music licensing issue or something that Super C, etc. don't have?

Turrican3

This is definitely different. Nintendo of the last 5-10 years would never have done something like this.
To be fair, Nintendo of the last 5-10 years didn't have to rely on the handheld line alone the most important shopping period of the year. :-\

I guess they're trying to get two birds with one stone: testing the waters, eventually giving sequels to this product line should it prove successful, and trying to compensate for the (likely unexpected) NX delay and the deader-than-dead WiiU lineup.

Calamari41

41 > 38

All of that costs them a lot more money than basically loading all-but-free ROMs onto these things and shipping them out. It would make more sense to add in some WiFi and let people buy more packs of games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Pretty neat to see Nintendo going in on the plug-n-play market when NES nostalgia is at a historic high, and the list of included games is REAL good (though no Dragon Warrior?). But as someone who still has his NES and a lot of games, feels superfluous. Would have loved to see this have the ability to play cartridges, or maybe have Nintendo go and make a Virtual Console-only machine (with games tied to your account and not the system!).

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
This is so cool. Funny thing is, is that this will probably generate more hype than a regular console from Nintendo. I bet this thing will sell out quickly. I'll definitely pre order one just for Zelda.

-d0hv

lol. Even their $300+ consoles don't have achievements. A $60 box isn't going to have them either.

They would probably have to reverse engineer some games to find hooks for achievements in them. Too much work for such a cheap box.

jstripes

Banned

Do you know how ridiculously expensive it would be to "reprint" NES game cartridges? The components haven't existed for nearly two decades. They'd have to re-engineer how to do it.

You guys are a niche market, and other companies are already making NES-compatible systems.

Cool idea but had no interest in NES games. SNES would be better but most of these classic games are already available on new systems now. These seem quite limited but good little gift ideas.

Haven't owned a system in 8 years but I'll gladly jump in with the NES. So much of my childhood wrapped up in these games and I"m sure I'm not the only one. Can't wait to preorder (are they accepting preorders?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom