• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine

YES! Then I can play the 5 games worth playing!
More than 5 and I hope among them there will be Ridge Racer 64, Resident Evil 2, Rayman 2, Rocket Robots on Wheel, Doom 64, Bomberman 64, Mystical Ninja, Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, International Superstar Soccer 2000, Ogre Battle 64 and Mischief Makers.

Okay, okay. 6 games, jeez.

In all seriousness, though, The thing disappointed me from the moment I first played it at the BX until the GC came out. There were only a handful of games I ever really wanted to try and almost none of them were the ones everyone raves about.

And yet here I am with Rare Replay and several of said games are in the collection.

Einhandr

A lot of us learned to put our thumb tip on the B button and use our thumb joint to tap A because of always wanting to hold B in SMB, which made this angled button layout very non-ergonomic for us.

This. And I've been playing games this way since 1990.

FyreWulff

If NIntendo sold the games that way would you be able to get 30 of them (and the console) for $60?

Nope. People would also be mad that they need to buy or use carts to use games that are already on the device itself. As far as I can tell, his mini carts just contain an RFID pointer to the game already on the Pi. Affordable RFID tags can barely store anything, and the largest ones are expensive as hell. IIRC SMB1 itself is 32KB, Most RFID tags are <1KB.

This is an idiot question but since it's HDMI enabled I assume that means the games are in HD? Not fuzzy like the originals? But crisp 8bit, pixelated beauty?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
This is an idiot question but since it's HDMI enabled I assume that means the games are in HD? Not fuzzy like the originals? But crisp 8bit, pixelated beauty?

I'm 'guessing' its like the old 360 arcade games, where you get a game in 4:3 and a 'HD' wallpaper in the background to fill the screen out.

Robin64

We only have the trailer to go on, along with a "product in development" notice, but:

fYrgTuz.png

iK4wQkE.png

KingBroly

Banned
I really don't understand Nintendo's obsession with 'OMG GAMES ARE TOO BRIGHT! TURN THAT SHIT DOWN!' on VC games. Not even allowing the option is crazy as well.

joms5

Okay, okay. 6 games, jeez.

In all seriousness, though, The thing disappointed me from the moment I first played it at the BX until the GC came out. There were only a handful of games I ever really wanted to try and almost none of them were the ones everyone raves about.

And yet here I am with Rare Replay and several of said games are in the collection.

I agree with you. Finding 30 games is going to be damn hard. Unless they pad that thing with 3 Mario Party games. And good luck negotiating for Goldeneye. I would go as far as to say that the N64 Mini will never come to pass. A lot of those games offered 4 player modes. Are they really going to really sell an extra 3 controllers to people?

Good lord the price of that thing is going to skyrocket.

I would love another NES one though. Maybe designed like the top loader or famicom with a new set of games on it.

Chastten

Banned
I could easily name 30 awesome N64 games I'd be interested in having on an N64 mini. Not all of them all realistic options and a lot of them sure won't have aged very nicely, but 30 is still pretty easy. To be fair though, even if it only had 5 of 6 of my favorite games, I'd still be interested in buying it for the right price.

First I'll await the NES though. If the emulation is nice and not as dark as the VC games I'm very much interested.

OmegaFax

Was this not demoed at all during Comic-Con? IGN had that one video showing the length of the controller cord and just a general overview. Same with Nintendo's channel. Was it a hands-off exhibit at their booth?

alf717

Was this not demoed at all during Comic-Con? IGN had that one video showing the length of the controller cord and just a general overview. Same with Nintendo's channel. Was it a hands-off exhibit at their booth?

NO one is allowed to touch it until Nov. 11th. Preorders will go up Nov. 10th @ 11:59PM.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Been out of the loop for a week. Did any US pre orders open?

Supposedly a couple of times at Toys R' Us (sold out in minutes both times), but we do not know the details. It has not opened up anywhere else yet.

I do know Nintendo and Toys R' Us has a longstanding partnership for decades, so they could be feeding them first.

Letep

Supposedly a couple of times at Toys R' Us (sold out in minutes both times), but we do not know the details. It has not opened up anywhere else yet.

I do know Nintendo and Toys R' Us has a longstanding partnership for decades, so they could be feeding them first.

Ok, thanks for the update. Will be on the lookout!

I really don't understand Nintendo's obsession with 'OMG GAMES ARE TOO BRIGHT! TURN THAT SHIT DOWN!' on VC games. Not even allowing the option is crazy as well.
They think somebody might have a seizure if they see a distinguishable color on their screen, so we all must suffer.

Justinh

Curious that Toys "R Us removed their page for the item a while ago, shortly after the last time preorders were open briefly. Now that page says "promotion not found" or something like that.
I really wish I knew what was going on.

Powerpuff

Will the NES Classic Mini be only a Western thing or will there be a Famicom Classic Mini too? I have searched but found no clue of any Japanese counterpart. A Famicom version could be so sexy.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
We did testing for this at my job months ago. Was thinking about scooping it, but never seemed like a big deal.

Jacknapes

Will the NES Classic Mini be only a Western thing or will there be a Famicom Classic Mini too? I have searched but found no clue of any Japanese counterpart. A Famicom version could be so sexy.

I would assume Japan would have their own Famicom Mini, but like yourself i can't find anything on that either.

This would make a perfect nostalgia Christmas for many, including myself. Plenty of classics (some not so classic). Certainly will consider a purchase (or ask someone i know nicely)

RM8

Famicom Mini would be odd, since the controllers themselves can't be "mini" sized, and they're a big part of the Famicom design:

If I'm still in Japan by November, I'd love being able to buy a Famicom Mini, otherwise I'd have to import one :[

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Famicom Mini would be odd, since the controllers themselves can't be "mini" sized, and they're a big part of the Famicom design:
I did not think of that...... Great point.

If I'm still in Japan by November, I'd love being able to buy a Famicom Mini, otherwise I'd have to import one :[

how about AV Famicom Mini

We did testing for this at my job months ago. Was thinking about scooping it, but never seemed like a big deal.

You can't say something like this and not hook us up with some details on how the emulation looks.

So I can't seem to find the page for it anymore on Amazon US...

The only thing I find now is a video introduction page.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-Classic/dp/B01IUC9MM6

It's still there. Did you just search on Amazon video?

Rymuth

Was this posted anywhere?

“What is interesting is that we can play through HDMI, but there will be different modes of how we will see the screen – a mode simulating the retro aspect of our old CRT screens, there will be a mode which can be at the resolution of the modern screens in 4:3 format, and a pixel perfect mode which will display each pixel as a square, so people can have fun with this too.”

“Yes, there will be permanent save points and instant temporary saves to be able to resume and that’s for every single of the 30 games, so we don’t have to worry if we don’t have a password, or restart right at the beginning…

- Nintendo Everything

AEREC

Will it be possible to actually use this on an old CRT TV? I realize it only comes with HDMI but is there an HDMI to AV cables adapter that would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom